The Lion Guard

So has Kovu shown up in this thing yet? That's one of the few things that would make me watch it.

Kiera here is in cub age. I doubt he will show up.

Huh. I read somewhere that he would be in one episode, but when I lookes it up again it didn't mention anything. Maybe they scrapped that story.

There were prelim talks of a direct to TV movie before this show.

>simba old and weak
>kiara has a cub named kubu (no mention of kovu)
>pride lands gone to shit
>bad weather, animals migrating, out of simba's control
>revolution occurs
>simba's pride are chased out of the pride lands
>hyenas take over
>simba and kubu get seperated from the others in the escape
>simba then loses kubu in the confusion and isn't seen again
>the pride wander around the outlands looking for kion and simba

>time jump, kubu is now an adult
>remembers pride rock, wants to go back
>his character arc is a slight reverse of simba's; he wasn't interested in being king when he was little, but wants it as an adult
>has a leopard love interest and a hyena sidekick (to challenge racial stereotypes because it's current year)
>eventually runs into kiara and what's left of the pride
>the pride are hesitant to take back the pride lands, but eventually agree
>the pride return to the pride lands where the situation has worsened and fight their way to pride rock

The overall structure is similar to the first movie, but drops any semblence of guilt in Kubu's character arc. They wanted to keep it simple and this was intended for children and young teens rather than all ages like the first film.

The Lion Guard was favored for being pitched as a series and having wider audience appeal (this was over at Disney XD and was more "mature" in a Star Wars Rebels sense).

Disney wants to do a theatrical Lion King as a generational movie similar to Star Wars VII. This would have happened sooner if their last 2D animations performed better.

The Lion Guard exists to reintroduce the brand into public consciousness and to test out ideas. Kovu will not appear in this series, he and the other Lion King 2 characters (excl. Kiara) are being phased out of the brand.

He hasn't shown up. It's like the season finale and there are seven episodes left this season. Only one airs this month. I suspect it'll air in November. Nuka and Vitani are also confirmed. It was in a press release.

>Disney wants to do a theatrical Lion King as a generational movie similar to Star Wars VII. This would have happened sooner if their last 2D animations performed better.
Eh, screw that. It was bad enough about Han Solo and that emo new sith, so there was a chance of giving us old and weak Simba, with a bad end for the Pridelands? What's up with that?!

Kovu is confirmed though

links please?

Money. It's on the backburner for the moment (their original films are doing well), but VII made bank and they can capitalise on the nostalgia as that, Jurassic World and Toy Story 3 did. I worked at DC so the movie stuff was above my pay grade, but my guess is that it will most likely be a direct sequel to the 1994 movie and not reference anything else.

A Lion King new generation reboot? There's a slim chance it would actually work, but in all likelihood it would be another piece of trash that would piss off legions of furries who have Kovu as their husbando.

Also,
>that episode where Simba goes to an elephant's funeral and tells the family that he was covered in shit all the time

>trips

but seriously? they still milk a 20 year old franchise? just let the good things die with dignity.

What was strange is that he wasn't actually wrong.

Kimba is confirmed, though.

From Disney's press site.

>Joining the cast, which includes Rob Lowe and Gabrielle Union as Simba and Nala, and Max Charles as Kion, are recurring guest stars Blair Underwood (ABC’s “Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.”) as Makuu, leader of the crocodiles and one of the Lion Guard’s main villains; Ana Gasteyer (ABC’s “The Goldbergs”) as Reirei, a clever and scheming jackal who wreaks havoc in the Pride Lands; and Maia Mitchell (ABC Family’s “The Fosters”) as Jasiri, a friendly hyena who rescues Kion and helps him face off against Janja and the rest of the hyenas. Jason Marsden, Andy Dick and Lacey Chabert reprise their roles as Kovu, Nuka and Vitani, respectively, from “The Lion King II: Simba’s Pride” in an upcoming episode.

Yes. Andy Dick. I'm sure you're all happy.

this show is My Little Lions.
you know i'm right.

The only thing close to waifu the viewers have is that cheetah character. Kiera and her dyke friends are barely shown, and so is that one hyena chick.

why couldn't they get someone younger to voice Kovu?

Fuli is enough.

it's because of the cutie mark, yes?

They were afraid of bringing incest into it.

This tv movie actually sounds alright, wonder if the real sequel will be similar

Does Simba die?

Why the hell is anybody taking what he said as gospel? It doesn't exist. There were no plans. I mean, was it great bait or something?

Kiara is pretty worthless in this show.

Might as well post all of these again. Characters can't really fight a lot, so most of their battles end with one tackling the other and pinning them down. It's weird.

My dick.

It's kind of gay sometimes.

The Lion Pin

>Simba isn't voiced by Matthew Broderick or Cam Clarke

Dropped

>that episode where Simba goes to an elephant's funeral and tells the family that he was covered in shit all the time
wat

It is real.

>Kiera
Don't you mean Kairi?

Plus he got the kovu thing wrong and why would someone working at DC know this stuff?

>but when I lookes it up

Lion King 2s been Retconned.

But that's wrong. It's still fully canon.

Has this show -or any Lion King media for that matter, touched on the fact the the carnivores eat the herbivores, and everyone is fully sentient?

I mean, they always portray the hyenas as the bad guys for merely wanting to eat.

I understand that Timon, Pumba, Rafiki, Zazu and the Lion Guard kids have diplomatic immunity from the lion pack, but what about other sentient animals?

Why is Simba attending an elephant funeral? Holy shit I can't believe that's a real thing. He had poop on him indeed.

Isn't that what the circle of life is? Lions eat the herbivores, which eat the grass, and when the lions die they become the grass?

I think I recall some scrapped scene from the first movie where Mufasa talked to some herbivore, the herbivore was like "Catch you later, Mufasa", "Not if I catch you first!", or something to that effect.
They're really good sports about it.

You seen Kiaras personality in Lion Guard right?
Its a direct plot hole on Kiara's character in the movie. They're playing Lion Guard as the sequel to the original Lion King while using 2 as IP resources to build a bigger story.

Jesus, why are lions even welcome at an elephant funeral? I just saw that clip on YouTube, and it seems like the crowd didn't even recognize Simba as the king until he was announced. So they were just cool with a couple of lions hanging out at an all elephant funeral?

Do they hold funerals for their fallen brothers who were torn apart by lions? Is Simba expected to put in an appearance at those funerals too?

But that's wrong. A character being more serious doesn't suddenly make the entire movie retconned. The producers said it takes place in the middle of the movie during the time-skip.

It's going to bug me forever that they so stubbornly refuse to stick to real Hyena behaviour.
Hyena's as scavengers? Male hyena pack leaders? And that one's worse since they got it right the first time.

Heck it's even a little hard to buy into the "evil" hyena's vs the Royal by Right Lion's thing when they're going with the Shakespeare references.
Everyone knows how much propaganda plays into his plays.

Hell, spotted hyena are actually more successful predators than lions are. They kill/hunt more prey than lions do on average.

>Serious
Thats merely a small problem, but not character breaking.
Im talking about her characterization.

More serous is the extent of her characterization in the cartoon.