What's with the "le 80's nostalgia" logo?

What's with the "le 80's nostalgia" logo?

Other urls found in this thread:

m.youtube.com/watch?v=jf8Y5lk6VOo
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Why did you even use the word "le"? Just say what yom mean.

Squat over a hot stove

mmm hmmm

It looks cool

Because people have tediously associated all things 80's with AWESOME.
Like that one thing from Teen Titans GO redeems the show in some people's eyes cause 80's

It's a sentence enhancer.

For some reason, it seems that from 2010-2014, 90s nostalgia was the "in thing" (Buzzfeed articles and Facebook memes, return of Surge, TeenNick block with old shows, ), but around 2015-16, people just decided to go back to the 80s (Stranger Things, Hotline Miami, etc.), which had been dormant for the past few years

it looks cool

I feel the movie poster will have a Vallejo-esque power metal flavour to it

Because the first Thor was an 80's fantasy film mixed with an 80's goofball comedy, and Thor 2 was an 80's fantasy/sci-fi adventure film ala Krull or Willow.

>le
you have to go back

80's nostalgia has been a thing for the past few years. It makes me think the whole movie is going to play out like a Meat Loaf or Iron Maiden album cover. Or at least, it makes me hope it might. The first two Thor movies were painfully dull.

Because it's supposed to match the tone of the film. Which will be fantasy throwback comic book bliss featuring a film within a film by way of Planet Hulk and the comic stylings of an 80s buddy cop / road film.

Not in PR at least. You regularly listen to 80s-90s dance parties being advertised all the god damn time.

What fucking Thor movies did you watch?

the second i see a reference to the hulk/thor sucker punch from avengers 1 i'm walking out

>80's nostalgia has been a thing for the past few years.
>past few years
>FEW

lel, no. 80s nostalgia has been around for almost 20 years. It goes back to the late 90s with movies like Romy & Michelle's High School Reunion, Grosse pointe blank, and the Wedding Singer, and came into its own in the 2000s.

In the 2010s, 90s nostalgia is more the thing (remember, 20 year cycle), but there's still a lot of 80s media

It's not going to happen. It wouldn't make any sense. Bruce will be learning to control himself as the Hulk by now. I wasn't hyped at all for either of the other Thor films and was pleasantly surprised.

But I'm in all honesty expecting Ragnarok to be one of my favorite MCU films. I have such a good feeling about it.

Then why are you going to the movie in the first place?

I'm more curious as to why for a good while, superhero movie logos were just metallic shapes using the same font. Bland as fuck.

It's to fool us into having some hope for it to be a good Thor movie.

>and Thor 2 was an 80's fantasy/sci-fi adventure film ala Krull or Willow.
I wish... the first one actually tried, at least. This one now might actually come around.

Because the 70s were crap and the 00s were crap. If people are going to be nostalgic about anything it'd be the 80s or 90s.

This song for opening titles please, go metal with the soundtrack like the others should have

m.youtube.com/watch?v=jf8Y5lk6VOo

>70's were crap

What?

I feel like certain things have really brought the 80s "neon and fog" aesthetic back into vogue, though, especially in over-the-top parodies like Kung Fury and Blood Dragon. It was a very distinctive era.

I'm somewhat expecting Led Zeppelin as the safer choice.

>70s were crap
wut

The 80s were fucking garbage.

Joke's on them. I can't have nostalgia for a decade I didn't exist in.

What I was saying in my post is that 90s nostalgia was big in the early 2010s, but seems to have been overshadowed somewhat by 80s nostalgia (after the 80s were dormant for a few years)

>Joke's on them. I can't have nostalgia for a decade I didn't exist in.

Do you really think every "good old days" Internet fanboy was born in the 80's?

You poor, naive fool.

it looks cool
it's that simple, why do you guys sperg out over everything

Well fingers crossed you'll be able to get a taste of it now.

alright, I laughed

They're looking for a repeat of GOTG.

All 80s nostalgia seems very forced, the silliness is very overblown by people, it was a decade of decadence yeah but it wasn't like everything that came out during it was ridiculous. Shit like Kung Fury is a prime example of that thing is groan inducing.

People sometimes grow up with movies made before they were born. It isn't new, and unless you lived a horribly deprived childhood, it shouldn't be surprising.

Do you really think people believe that Kung Fury is a 1:1 representation of the 80s? It was meant to be all the silly things from an entire decade distilled into one movie.

I don't recall actual ninjas in Kung Fury. If they weren't there, it wasn't really a good representation, they were fucking everywhere.
Seriously, you couldn't walk down the street for some bubblegum without bumping into ninjas.

The whole backstory was about a ninja.

>The Dark World
>Marvel's Krull
THAT"S WHAT I"VE BEEN SAYING FOR YEARS!

I think this is just a blip on the radar. Going forward, I think we'll see a lot more 90s pop culture come back compared to 80s.

After all, if you look at the late 00s, it was The Eighties Part II: Transformers, GI Joe and Nightmare on Elm Street all got remakes within a few years from each other.

Then we see stuff like Ninja Turtles get made (straddling the 80s/90s divide), and now we're getting shit like new Power Rangers and Jumanji.

Yeah, you get stuff like Stranger Things or Blood Dragon or Moonbeam City, but those are more like homages or parodies, which only happen once something is close to being played out.

In terms of 80s nostalgia/revival, the 00s were The Breakfast Club and the 10s are Heathers: both very 80s, but in very different ways. In the 00s you just had the surface aping of 80s culture, now we've gone deeper, into parodies and pastiches. There's really nowhere to go afterwards.

Ten years from now, we'll be saying the same thing about the attitude toward the 90s - "the 10s were SO 90s: Power Rangers, Pokemon GO, X-Files, Powerpuff Girls remakes" etc.

During the Comic Con footage is was really weird, 8bit Tron type music started playing and suddenly the logo came to the screen like the Tron logo, guess is Disney doing a reference of the sort, it still feels odd

Because the 80s were famous for their Nordic mythology craze.

What if this is all a reference to the Incredible Hulk 80s TV show? Thor was on it, right?

>Ten years from now, we'll be saying the same thing about the attitude toward the 90s - "the 10s were SO 90s: Power Rangers, Pokemon GO, X-Files, Powerpuff Girls remakes" etc.
Are they really, though? Crappy reboots have been happening forever, and Pokémon as a franchise never died. There's nothing that feels particularly 90s in style about any of it.

the real answer is because Taika Waititi thought it was funny

that's all

I noticed the video they released showing "where was Thor" starts with a distinctive sound and a VCR look.

The 80s were the age of barbarian craze. That is, besides ninjas and some other stuff. I thank D&D for that.
That cameo on Hulk came to mind, and yes, it was one of the movies.

I've been waiting for the 90's to come back in full force for the longest time now.

Where are my overalls, jean jackets, jackets and hoodies tied around the waist, and backwards caps? Where's my alternative rock and shoegaze revival?

Does Ragnarok count as Cosmic?

I would approve if they've decided to style all of the cosmic movie titles in a similar retro fashion (I feel they did it with GotG as well).

It's going to involve multiple planets/worlds and aliens, so I don't see why it wouldn't count

True.

Seems like nostalgia is always for two decades prior. Didn't That 70s Show come out in the 90s? And Happy Days in the 70s? I remember bellbottoms coming back as a kid, too.

Thing is, it's 2016. The 90's revival/nostalgia should be in full swing. But we've STILL been in a bit of an 80's revival. 80's nostalgia just won't fucking die.

I don't think we'll be seeing 90's nostalgia in the mainstream until the 2020's, if at all. Blame 80's babies, who just won't let that decade go.

I'm hoping it means they're going Full Simonson.

80s were coming back since 2011. Just listen to the Drive Soundtrack.

To fuck with your expectations

plus Hotline Miami came out in 2012

>"the 10s were SO 90s: Power Rangers, Pokemon GO, X-Files, Powerpuff Girls remakes" etc.
We are literally never going to say this

Contemporary fashion and graphic design is all incredibly 90s though. Clothes from The Fresh Prince or Sabrina are what Urban Outfitters and American Apparel are all about.

When it comes to American pop culture, the 90s were pretty fucking shit.

At least Japan made some good stuff and Eastern Europe had the whole Wild 90s thing going on, which was pretty interesting.

yep

>le
even using it ironically makes you look retarded

I dunno 90s seem to be the in thing still, especially fashion wise. I cant go a minute without seeing someone wearing a plaid button down around their waist these days.

t. people who didn't live in or know anything about the 70s

In the UK, the 70s were marked by severe Irish terrorism, nationwide power outages and constant strikes and a government so incompetent that they were voted out of office in an emergency election. It was not a good time.

In the USA, you had the Vietnam War, it's aftermath and the Cold War, as well as major civil unrest and a struggling economy. It was not a good time.

>tfw the 2010s will be remembered the same way
JUST