Guardians of the Galaxy

I just finished watching this.

It was genuinely more entertaining and stylish than The Force Awakens and probably one of the best self-contained and well developed sci-fi stories I've seen in decades. Definitely the best thing to come out of all these dumb cape movies.

What did you think of it?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=C6VgotgUfyA
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Expectations for the sequel?

Are any of the comics worth reading?

We like it, Sup Forums fucking hates it because it was fun

I liked it too OP, but

>It was genuinely more entertaining and stylish than The Force Awakens

that isn't saying very much.

>What did you think of it?
Should basically be the textbook on how to balance a team of characters in a superhero flick.

You JUST watched it?

Anyway I'll go further and say it's better than any of the Star Wars films. It's this generation's Star Wars. And it's my favorite MCU film. All of which I think are at least good.

I'm expecting it to be as good or better.

>more stylish then The Force Awakens

I have a hard time believing anyone could watch GOTG and think it's better-directed then TFA.

You want to argue about the writing, fine. But Guardians never has anything to match JJ's gorgeous Lean-esque wide shots or his atmospheric fight scenes.

meh movie, wasn't worth sacrificing the awesome comics

Will we see a Nova movie or TV show with a cameo by Rocket and others?

Annihilation was shit and the GOTG run tright after wasn't great. I don't get what people see in DnA's stuff

If only I wasn't being blinded at the same time by a lens flare.

GOTG by itself was actually a pretty good and fresh movie. The problem was it has an awful fanbase and created the standard that everything must be quippy outcasts

also it's a complete disservice to the source material.

>TFA
>lens flares

I mean there's a few but unless seeing literally any lens flares at all triggers you they're fine.

It's not like the JJTrek films level or anything.

I seriously hope you won't start defending 'dance of bro' movie after such a bold comment.

This shit was overrated to hell.

>Anyway I'll go further and say it's better than any of the Star Wars films.
>It's this generation's Star Wars.
Stop this. Not only is it not nearly as good as any of the OT, nothing about it was even remotely as interesting as SW either. And I'm not even that big of a SW fan.

>le this generation's Star Wars! xD

No, fuck off. It was average at best.

It was fantastic. It filled me with wonder like Star Wars almost did years ago. Objectively, I'm right. In the context of when SW was originally released, GotG isn't as revolutionary.

Everything is more entertaining and stylish than The Force Awakens. Abrams is a tumor that needs to be removed from science-fiction's ass.

No because I can see already that you're only interested in being defensive and flinging shit. But if you want to act like a mature adult we can pleasantly discuss our critiques of whatever you want to.

No, fuck you.

I kept on hearing about all the hype how it was totally this generation's SW, went into it expecting to be amazed, and thought it was, if anything, extremely safe and typical. It was basically just your average "rag-tag bunch of misfits band together to save the world," plot, but in a setting that normies were unfamiliar with.

There was NOTHING there that blew my mind, the way SW blew everyone's minds back in the 70's/80's.

>the way SW blew everyone's minds back in the 70's/80's

I bet you were one of those faggots who threw a tantrum outside an Episode 1 theater.

>the way SW blew everyone's minds back in the 70's/80's
Why did it do that by the way?

>Objectively, I'm right
GotG is nowhere as popular as SW still is today. Episode 7 made way more money than GotG did.
You are objectively wrong.

There was nothing wrong about that scene except "turd blossom".

You should've seen it with an unbiased opinion before going in. It's your fault you waited. Literally EVERYONE who goes in with that same song and dance of expectations to a film all their friends have seen weeks ago, come out of the theater disappointed.

The 70s/80s point is also pretty irrelevant to the fact that GotG did different things with the space opera genre and in turn made a better film.

You're both right, it was a decent Space Cowboy story but it was nowhere near Star Wars.

I was like, 6 when TPM came out, brah. Try again.

Outstanding visual and special effects effects, a creative setting that were unlike anything that people had seen before, cool concepts like lightsabers, etc.

To me, GotG did nothing that any sci-fi/space opera piece of media within the past 20 years or so didn't already do.

Money does not equal Quality.

>You should've seen it with an unbiased opinion before going in. It's your fault you waited. Literally EVERYONE who goes in with that same song and dance of expectations to a film all their friends have seen weeks ago, come out of the theater disappointed.
This is your only good point. Even still, I've had people hype shit up for me before and ended up liking them regardless. Not like that's impossible.

>The 70s/80s point is also pretty irrelevant to the fact that GotG did different things with the space opera genre
Like what?

>and in turn made a better film.
"Better" compared to WHAT?

The point he's making was that TFA was still overall way more popular and impactful than GotG was. GotG isn't this generation's SW; Star Wars is this generation's Star Wars.

That's simply because it's the 7th entry in the world's most famous movies. Everyone is going to see it. It has 40 years worth of name recognition.

That's literally like saying a top charts pop radio station plays better music that that band you like.

GotG had the advantage of an original story and the abilities of humans to make a film in 2014. And they did a great job and made a better space opera than Star Wars.

GotG is at least Empire Strikes Back level of good. Definitely better than the other 6.

>Outstanding visual and special effects effects, a creative setting that were unlike anything that people had seen before, cool concepts like lightsabers, etc.
So, novelty basically? That's pretty much what I figured.
I'm not even arguing the point. Of course GotG isn't the Star Wars of a new generation. Nothing is going to be that impactful we've already seen everything done. That's a worthless title to earn to begin with and doesn't say much then about the actual quality of the movie.

GotG is a watered down version of shit that's already happened in comics. The story is not unique.
That guy was trying to say GotG is the new Star Wars, which is fucking retarded to think. Star wars is still as popular as it ever was.
Most of GotG's bandwagon subsided.

>That's simply because it's the 7th entry in the world's most famous movies. Everyone is going to see it. It has 40 years worth of name recognition.
TFA could've easily crashed and burned if they somehow fucked it up. Look at BvS. Literally has two of the biggest pop culture juggernauts ever made put into one film for the first time and that movie didn't do nearly as well as it could've done.

>GotG had the advantage of an original story
>"original story"
>adapted from Marvel Comics
Ok.

>and the abilities of humans to make a film in 2014
What does this even mean?

>And they did a great job and made a better space opera than Star Wars.
No.

Yeah, no. It was worse than TFA and I didn't even like that movie that much.

>So, novelty basically? That's pretty much what I figured.
Considering that SW's visual effects still mostly hold up and that it's considered a landmark in movie sfx, that's not "novelty".

There was also the simple good vs. evil plot, where people saw a typical fantasy Hero's Journey plot transposed into a science-fiction setting. People saw Luke's journey and struggles.

>That's a worthless title to earn to begin with and doesn't say much then about the actual quality of the movie.
Hey, don't get mad at me. Get mad at the idiots who keep on insisting that GotG was exactly what you said it isn't.

>GotG is a watered down version of shit that's already happened in comics. The story is not unique.
Motherfucking THIS. I think ultimately, that's one of my biggest issues with the movie; it's watered down as hell.

ah but OP can you defend "Dance off bro!"

DnA's run was done years before the movie came out

I really liked it. Kind of hate that WB tried to imitate it when constructing Suicide Squad, and by that I mean the family shit and the obnoxious soundtrack

I hated that everyone had the same human ears and noses. I was expecting more Farscape than Star Trek.

Also, that weirdly sexist exchange at the end. Great movie otherwise.

It was a distraction, you turd blossom. If it's stupid but works it ain't stupid

It was a last ditch desperate attempt to give Rocket time to finish putting that weapon together.

Yeah the aliens in GOTG are rather boring. I really hope the makeup department goes all out in the sequel.

>Kind of hate that WB tried to imitate it when constructing Suicide Squad, and by that I mean the family shit and the obnoxious soundtrack
Yeah, let's try to stray from console wars discussions, but that was so fucking stupid of WB. Just totally and completely inappropriate considering the source material. Really forced too.

It was a pretty stupid way to end the movie, you have to admit. They could've written it so that the climax amounted to something else, you know.

>Considering that SW's visual effects still mostly hold up
Oh come the fuck on.
>and that it's considered a landmark in movie sfx, that's not "novelty".
That's exactly what novelty is. Everyone was mesmerized by all the cool new special effects. I'm not downplaying that achievement. They managed to bring to life cool shit that no one ever seen before but there's nothing terribly complex or well written about any of it. They were an achievement yes but when it comes down to it they just weren't that great.

>that weirdly sexist exchange at the end
Explain?

if its stupid and ruins any tension they had created. Honestly the entire finale is a huge black mark on the film, "They all hold hands and grip the maguffin, how they survive is a mystery! find out in GOTG 2!"

>There are people on Sup Forums who unironically defend memelord

This is what I mean. People kept on hyping it up, but most everyone were just space humans.

user.

That's not "novelty". Special effects are going to be VERY important when making a movie like SW. Sfx goes a LONG way towards making your setting and your action more believable and 'real'. I mean shit, the effects are like half the reason people still watch those movies and love them.

The visuals didn't help much when the story was weak and the script required polishing.

pre Bendis, the source material for GotG is a lot different.
In Conquest, Quill thought of all of them as totally expendable and didn't care what happened to any of them. Ronan was one his closest allies. Nobody knew what Knowhere was until Nova discovered it.
GotG doesn't give a single shit about its source material

Well I was talking about Suicide Squad, but yeah man.

>TFA could've easily crashed and burned if they somehow fucked it up.

No it wouldn't. The prequels were mostly god awful and Lucas still was able to make cash by the fistful. TFA had little to do with its actual quality and was more a testament to the Disney marketing juggernaut.

>how to spot Abrams cocksuckers: 101

Yeah sorry about that. Anyway is Collector set to return? Id love more of him. Its a shame the F4 rights are out of reach, because can you imagine a Silver Surfer cameo while they cruise the cosmos?

>No it wouldn't. The prequels were mostly god awful and Lucas still was able to make cash by the fistful.
Good point.

>not nearly as good as any of the OT

I did a rewatch of the OT for the first time since childhood.

Empire was as amazing as I thought it would be, no qualms there. A New Hope was good, but not spectacular - I'd rank GotG as roughly there, but slightly below as it didn't have that evergreen mythic feel to it.

RotJ, however, was a fucking mess and a BAD movie. I couldn't even finish it. Note, I'm not a huge fanboy so I don't give a shit about purist arguments, but so much of it was just bad, it was honestly Batman and Robin without the latter's cheesy made-for-drinking-games charm. Maybe the last 40 minutes are amazing, I don't know, I gave up after the 50th scene of Ewoks murmuring.

But I genuinely don't think you could argue, with both movies taken out of their historical context (so no "this one was more liked" or "that one made more money" or "that one was more important for pop culture"), that GotG is worse than RotJ.

>everyone were just space humans

But the intelligent life was created in God's image. Learn2scifi.

I have no idea.

Been awhile since I've seen RotJ, but I don't remember it being NEARLY as bad as you're describing, either. I thought it was a good movie, at the very least.

>ROTJ is bad because of Ewoks
I bet you think Amy Schumer is hilarious too.
I bet you liked the new Ghostbusters movie for being so groundbreaking in having an all female cast. (Does the animal sidekick count if it's female too?)
I bet you like Pepsi too you faggot.

Annoying sound track, meh action, awful plot, boring one dimensional villain, many of the "jokes" fell flat...that being said it's a fun movie thats worth one watch. Not exactly a good movie though normies fucking love it for some reason.

Pretty much this.

I agree with you man. It's a fun movie but it's overhyped. I don't even like Star Wars but this movie is closer to prequels then the OT. It's a solid 6/10 for me. That being said, I'm picky and dislike most cape movies I watch.

>I dislike a movie, and one of my reasons for it is one shared by many, many people
>this means I'm somehow a sjw?

Sup Forums logic never astonishes to amaze me.

And no on all three counts.

>GotG had the advantage of an original story

Gotg is original. Nah it's pretty safe comedy action movie like every other Disney Marvel flick.

Gotg has a story. Now I know you're retarded.

Aside from annoying soundtrack and jokes (because it didn't have any), all of those criticisms could be levied at SW.

It had a very generic plot, a generic bad guy, mediocre fight scenes, etc.

Doesn't stop billions from loving it.

Literally worst thing ever. Hate that movie. It's too reddit for me. I get why normies like it but ughhh

I wish Netflix would resurrect Farscape.

Guardians make up was truly awful. Fun movie but the lack of decent villains and plots gets old with these flicks.

ROTJ's beginning with Jabba and end with Vader, Luke, and the Emperor make it shine. The Death Star 2 stuff and Ewoks are filler and it could have used some trimming for that especially. Its still pretty good though for an ending of a trilogy. It at least knew what it wanted to do unlike ROTS.

Not arguing with you man. I don't think Star Wars is good either lol

MCU as a whole was a quipfest before GOTG.

>I feel so conflicted and angry, Obi Wan
>Please don't murder people, Anakin
>DON'T TELL ME WHAT TO DO YOU'RE NOT MY SPACE DAD, WE'RE NOT FRIENDS ANYMORE

>Anakin, I'm pregnant
>That's great except I'm 100% sure you're going to die, the midichlorians said so

>Anakin, let me tell you the story of a man who learned the secret of IMMORTALITY
>How?
>Well all you, erm, he had to do was to join the Dark Side of the Force
>You're a Sith, aren't you, Palpatine?
>...Yes. My true name is Darth Sidious.
>Trustworthy name. I'm sold, let's go kill some fucking children.

[shitty scenes later]

>What happened, Master?
>You fought Obi Wan and he sliced off all your limbs and left you to die in a lava pit. I found you and turned you into an asthmatic cyborg.
>And Padme?
>She died because she was too distraught by your turning to the Dark Side and killing all the children.
>But you said she would live?
>T
R
O
L
L
E
D

>*heavy breathing*

>roll credits
Fuck that movie.

>also it's a complete disservice to the source material.
People need to remember this.

GotG (and that era of Cosmic in general) was my favorite comic years before the movie came out.

It's a great movie, but it's probably the worst in terms of faithful adaptations yet.

Pretty much. Tricky Sheev and the baby killing were the only genuinely entertaining parts of that movie, but I'm sure most people know this by now.

This is a thread about GOTG not suicide squad

Watch Farscape, similar premise, but better villains

It was more entertaining that TFA because TFA was just essentially an update of the original first movie, down to some of the most essential beats.

But GotG was just mindless popcorn tentpole derivative of pretty much any decent popcorn movie from Top Gun to Jurassic Park. Don't call it stylish unless your idea of style is not to wear white past labor day.

Nope.

>we will never watch a House of Cards set in the last days of the Galactiv Republic, staring Sheev
>It becomes increasingly more difficult for him to hide his nature as the episodes pass because he becomes more obviously evil by the minute
>while he's trying to manipulate the senators into giving him power, each episode he has a different and progressively less plausible explanation for why he suddenly looks like a rotten lemon

but they explain that

shhhhh dont interrupt the circlejerk

>beats villain with a danceoff

I cringed
Also I don't like Chris Pratt face, he looks like those 'bro' tools who smoke weed with their sunglasses and their colorful shorts.

I thought it was fucking awful.

>>beats villain with a danceoff
He doesn't beat the villain in dance-off. Villain doesn't participate in dance-off.

"Not muh comics" aside, it was a pretty entertaining movie and I definitely had fun watching it.

However, I don't understand why people say it's the most "different and unique" MCU movie when it's basically just The Avengers in space. Speaking of Avengers, I also thought that movie was way more mindblowing and exciting the first time I saw it in 2012, even though it's a weaker movie technically and less stylish than GotG. And if we're going to talk about the most different MCU movie, that's definitely TWS, mostly because the tone was such a departure from the usual action comedies they make. It's more of a pure action movie than the rest and I'd argue it's the least "comic book" movie they made. It's more similar to something like Bourne than to something like The Avengers, in terms of tone/action/plot/style of filming.

>one of the best sci fi films in decades

I liked the movie too but come on

I was more of sci-fi comedy then cape action, although it did have similar feel. Also Avengers were duller all around.

I realize these posts are old, but I feel compelled to say that you sound like the least fun person ever.

>It was genuinely more entertaining and stylish than The Force Awakens
Being better than the worst rehash this century is not an accomplishment, blatant D*sney shill.

the DnA series is pretty god. Dont read the Bendis comics.

its much better than Jedi.

That's the thing though, while watching this I never thought "wow, this is so different from the usual MCU movies!" when it had the same tone that most of the MCU movies have and also had a pretty basic plot. When I watched Cap 2, the whole time I was thinking "wow, this is unusually serious for a MCU movie". Keep in mind that while I loved it, a lot of my friends didn't enjoy it that much exactly because of this reason. They were expecting more jokes and comedy and were a bit disappointed it didn't feel like the rest of the MCU.

That being said, I do enjoy pretty much all of these MCU movies. I genuinely like watching 2-3 times a year a summer blockbuster that makes me laugh and entertains me for 2 hours. I know what to expect from the MCU (which is why a lot of people don't like it, cause it's predictable) and I'm fine with it. I don't watch comic book movies for deep plots, that's what indie movies are for. As far as blockbusters go, they're better than the majority. I won't pretend they don't have flaws though and that's what bothers me when peoole say GotG is "soo much different that other MCU movies". It fits perfectly in the universe tone wise and it's very similar to the Avengers. TWS is the actual black sheep of the MCU and I doubt they'll ever make something as serious again. I'd like to be wrong though.

youtube.com/watch?v=C6VgotgUfyA

how autistic do you have to be to hate "dance off bro"?

Very

If Ronan needed to get to the surface of Xandar so badly, why didn't he just jump down with a parachute?

There are plenty of questions. Does Nova Corp not have any capital ships? What about early warning system? Surface-to-air weapon?

It's not Sci-Fi, it's fantasy. Best Science-Fiction movies I've seen in the last decade were Paprika, Moon and Minority Report.

I thought it was a really smart movie for pulling in the younger audience. Not a great movie for me, but a great commercial movie.

so he won the dance off then

It was a hilarious film and easily one of Marvel's best films. The only major complaints I have are Gamora getting shafted in terms of plotting/character arc and Ronan being a flat villain. (The Thanos stuff not really coming into play is also a complaint, but a minor one at that.)

arrogance.

>Gamora getting shafted in terms of plotting/character arc
Gamora got made more flat by her history with Thanos becoming more one-dimensional. With him actually being her savior, and the one who trained her to be a weapon against those she wanted to strike, it makes her turning away from him more meaningful when she finds out what he's really after, and their relationship more complicated later.

If it's just "He's a bad guy, I always hated him, he trained be to be a bad guy, and I don't want to be bad anymore, so I'm running away," There's nothing really to sink your teeth into. It's just kind of there to be a backstory, and Thanos comes across as delusional when he calls her his favorite daughter.

and they also need to remember this movie killed any chance of ever getting a good Guardians comic again. Like, those who think Bendis is the problem are in for a rude awakening once he leaves.

>RotJ, however, was a fucking mess and a BAD movie.
It had a strong beginning, mediocre middle, and a pretty good climax. As usual, any scene involving Sheev was amazing; they consistently cast good actors for that role.