What are some good documentaries about the art business/contemporary art?

What are some good documentaries about the art business/contemporary art?

Art thread I guess, we don't have a proper board to discuss it. /ic/ is for aspiring draftsmen

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ObhNiJaoVow
youtube.com/watch?v=36VrSN0iGZ0
imdb.com/title/tt1608107/?ref_=nm_knf_t1
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freeze_(art_exhibition)
youtube.com/watch?v=L0cjlla4EeM
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

That Banksy movie.

modern """""""art"""""""

This.

Fuck Hirst.

The Art of the Steal

Exit Through the Gift Shop

I've seen a few Waldemar Januszczak documentaries done for BBC4 and enjoyed them all.

Is that the skull from the 50 cent game?

Great game.

youtube.com/watch?v=ObhNiJaoVow

This series by Matthew Collings from the late 90's Is where you should probably start with contemporary art.

youtube.com/watch?v=36VrSN0iGZ0

The Great Contemporary Art Bubble is a good one about the recent market. Also the BBC Imagine series did an episode about the Frieze art fair 7 or 8 years back which is a bit similar.

Ben Lewis who made the The Great Contemporary Art Bubble also made a series on some of the biggest names in contemporary art. imdb.com/title/tt1608107/?ref_=nm_knf_t1 Its a bit mixed because some of the artists co-operated more than others.

There was a guy here a little while back who claimed to own a gallery in NYC. Is he in this thread?

Is he actually considered good or just a meme?

Meme.

Divides opinion a bit. I dont think you either love him or hate him, but some of the work is pretty incredible to be in a room with (particualry the ones with rotting meat/flies), and then some of it I think is a bit average and boring. There is a good documentary about the Goldsmith YBA's and this en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freeze_(art_exhibition) but i cant remember what its called, may have been an Imagine

He's considered good by a lot of people.
But what you have to remember is he was launched to fame when Saatchi showed off his collection. A collection that he bought for hundreds of thousands and sold for tens of millions.
Saatchi made his money in advertising. His whole life has been making something seed desirable. Creating a want where there was none.

What he basically did was buy up a bunch of up and coming art (some of it pretty good) then, with his marketing skill, increased the value of it by 100x, then sold it.

He's done it a few times since. The art world is all about emperor's new clothes. It's an exclusive in-group that you can be part of if you're incredibly rich and want to rub shoulders with celebrities.
The catch is, you can't point out the emperor is naked.

I like 1000 Years and FTLOG, but I don't really like anything else. The spot paintings and drugstore cabinets need to fuck off.

To be honest, I wouldn't want to say the emperor's naked if I was given millions to not do so.

I'm Andy Warhol. Ask me anything.

Tell me about yourself why do you wear the wig?

H3H3's beanie video.

Both. The dot paintings are bollocks, but the animals are artkino. I think the skull falls bang in the middle. Sometimes he clearly gets something right, but other times it's just navel gazing

pussy

youtube.com/watch?v=L0cjlla4EeM

Machete maidens.

Art21 has some good episodes

Who's the greatest living artist?

Jeff Koons and Anselm Kiefer are probably in the top 10 somwhere, as well as Hirst if your looking at the $$$ side of things. Jasper Johns is the most expensive living painter probably.

How does breaking into the art world even work? You do art school exhibition with your art school friends until one of said friends' rich dad decides to market you for shits and giggles?

Suck cock and never stop.

Hirst was something of a marketing madman in the beginning of his career, constantly phoning up galleries and taxi'ing in collectors who had money and people who had influence to things like this en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freeze_(art_exhibition)

Its probably somewhere of an 40-60 split between those that brown nosed and greased their way up the ranks with connections and those with just creative talent who get noticed because of that and do next to nothing but make their art. They all have an insane drive and output for the most part, and id guess nearly all of them have one of a number of big named galleries and collectors promoting them, usually off the back of a art school education. Those with really cool ideas and creative drives usually end up getting into national galleries regardless of the 'scene', but its rare if they dont have a gallery behind them as well, usually their dead and have been rediscovered and were totally off the grid and considered 'folk'. Contemporary art covers a lot of creative disciplines, and film and certain media is a difficult sell to bits of the market. Sculpture and painiting is really where you want to be if you crave the $$$ and the fame I think.

Are you into the scene?

No but ive got a great ass

sculpture, really?

i can't think of one famous contemporary sculptor. not that that necessarily means much but i woulda assumed it's an indicator

Sarah Lucas is maybe my favourite living artist, she'll be collected and sell for silly money ive no doubt. Then there was Henry Moore and Barbara Hepworth from the last century. Jeff Koons makes amazing sculptural pieces, and I love Mccarthy and many others. Whenever I go to Frieze and contemporary galleries, its usually the sculpture im most impressed by (and the film ;)

David Lewis pls

Pics.

There was a brilliant documentary about the art market called The Banker's Guide to Art on BBC last year, don't know if it's still around anywhere.

This.