Which was the better "anime in a western cartoon" sequence?

Which was the better "anime in a western cartoon" sequence?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=sQiGDdlJuPg
youtube.com/watch?v=QhHGIfu_T98
youtube.com/watch?v=w_pc73SzuRA
youtube.com/watch?v=fZq3An7Tf_w
blog.tms-e.co.jp/archives/50522072.html
youtube.com/watch?v=w9wi0cPrU4U
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>sequence that actually looks like an anime
>sequence that looks like the same shit but with the framerate cut in half

Gee I wonder

TAWOG

Despite being an avid steven universe fan i have to go with the amazing world of gumball since it actually noticeably changed the show's style for the sequence where as steven universe did not.

Gumball was better animated, and it had the shows best girl in it.

both were shit and insults to anime

/thread

Calm down weeb

Anime is an insult to anime.

name?

>animu is so good

One is a western cartoon show with some references and cues from popular anime that a few people might catch. The other is one episode in a comedy show with a small sequence that is a clear parody of action scenes from anime in general. Overall, this seems like a somewhat lopsided comparison overall.

mob psycho 100

>framerate cut in half

So, the latter was closer?

But the Steven Universe one wasn't anime in a western cartoon, it was just done with the help of a guest animator from an anime studio.

Also, "anime-style segment in a western cartoon" is one of the most played out gags ever at this point.

>quality animu thread

>such animu
>much quality

Gumball was literally the first time it was actually done well though

TAWOG in general has better animation, not to mention they actually hired the Trigger guys to go full out and do what they do while in SU they just hired them to get their usually mediocre animated show and make it a little better. But it doesn't matter because South Park already made the best anime parody.

Twice.

I watched that segment. It still hasn't been done well.

Where were you when Trigger saved cartoons?

Well first off, you posted the wrong one for Steven Universe.

DUDE

I ONLY WATCH LOW BUDGET SHONEN

LMAO

It's cool to like the show, but no. Just nah.

I'm pretty sure the scene in SU wasn't parodying anime or anything. They hair got him because the dude and his team are a huge fan of SU and he helped animate the butterflies.

Anyway Gumball was just a over the top generic anime fight that has been done in the past like a hundred times.

Gumball's bit wasn't done by Trigger

Watching Rick and Morty because that was going on at the same time and Japanese writing always felt off to me for some reason, most likely due to shit getting lost in translation.

The two shows also had an episode where their main characters almost got raped released a the same time which I thought was an odd coincidence.

That was Studio 4C, not Trigger.

Posting because it's slightly relevant.
youtube.com/watch?v=sQiGDdlJuPg

The only thing Steven Universe did was reference anime in some form.

Gumball did an actual anime scene with pretty well done animation in a not completely generic anime style

4C was at least good, Trigger was nothing but wasted talent.

At least TMS bought in quality back in the day.
youtube.com/watch?v=QhHGIfu_T98 (from Toshihiko Masuda)
youtube.com/watch?v=w_pc73SzuRA (from Yuichiro Yano)

>in a not completely generic anime style

My bad, I assumed since they got Trigger in SU they'd kill two birds with one stone.

>in a not completely generic anime style
I'm fairly certain the point of the scene was that it was generic anime but okay.

Is this sarcasm or do you guys really hate SU that much that you have to blatantly lie to yourselves?

>some references and cues from popular anime
>some

Nigga, this show is nothing BUT anime references.

>"FOR YOU!"
Holy shit, please tell me that was a reference to this:
youtube.com/watch?v=fZq3An7Tf_w

>Anime reference
>It's an over the top action packed DBZ style animation
Why is South Park the only one that understands what most anime's are really like?

>low budget trash aimed at japanese 7 year olds is the standard for all anime
Take your baito des someplace else

That was still a great anime. The style was just highly unusual.

Tiny Toons & Animaniacs will like to have a word with you.

so defensive
even accepting your premise, wouldn't it make sense that a show aimed at 7 year olds would parody another show 7 year olds would recognize?

checkmate atheists

I'm talking more about the art. Nicole and the other character looked really cool. yea the scene itself was pretty generic, but still fun to watch.

Dude the whole thing was done in generic anime style.

Trey is a huge weeb. 99% of other people have only seen entry level DBZ type stuff. This includes animators.

We could of got TMS to do this but they wanted to redo the whole thing and they were too expensive for CN

blog.tms-e.co.jp/archives/50522072.html

>tfw you're too much of a pleb to catch the Mindful Education references

I get most of the other anime jokes the Enigma of Amigara joke clenched it as "yeah the staff is weebs", but apparently I miss the blatant shit.

But all anime is low budget shit aimed at manchildren to sell toys.

4C was at least good, Trigger was nothing but wasted talent.

At least TMS bought in quality back in the day for CN.
youtube.com/watch?v=QhHGIfu_T98 (from Toshihiko Masuda)
youtube.com/watch?v=w_pc73SzuRA (from Yuichiro Yano)

I barely even noticed the SU one was by a guest animator.
Why even bother if most of the audience won't realize it?

The dude from Trigger loves Steven Universe and really wanted to do it

That's cool then, I kind of just wish they let him have a bigger effect on the episode other than having it look a little better than usual.

Oh my god Famicom or whoever that TMS-sperg guy is called is in here

Western art direction and Japanese boarding/animation never fails to look extremely good.

Those are 2 different people and no they are not.
That is true.

It sort of takes away from the episode's plot or even overall story if suddenly everything and everyone looks completely off model

Genndy did a spot on Speed Racer parody on Dexter, though that was more of a parody of the dub.

SU has everyone go off model all the time even right in the middle of big drama shit, it's not like they care about that.

I guess this isn't really a show that can do stuff like AT where they let an outside artist have 100% freedom to do what they want though.

> it's a "why can't cartoons consistently imitate the level of quality that anime typically manages maybe once a year, once a season if it's particularly good"

Obligatory:
youtube.com/watch?v=w9wi0cPrU4U

One of them is a weeb who actually watches the stuff.

To be fair anime references have improved by leaps and bounds since like a half decade ago, I'm guessing there's been a big influx of weebs. Same carries for vidya jokes, at least in animation the "dude spiky hair lmao" or "dude beep-boop noises lmao" fogies have been cleansed.

Nevermind, looks like I just missed the memo that Studio Trigger animated it.

I can tell when I look closely now, but it's interesting how close they are to the original style, I long presumed Japs fundamentally approached drawing/animation differently because there's always a tell that something's western or Japanese.

It wasn't really a reference to a specific anime, it was a scene animated by a guest animator from Studio Trigger.

great_mouse_detective.jpg

Not Sup Forums but anyone remember when Community had a random anime scene in the middle of the foosball episode? That was great.

The GI Joe episode was based too.

even though i like SU more, the Gumball sequence is objectively better.

OP you posted the wrong episode.

>show that apes anime all the time but doesn't want to actually be anime at all
vs
>show that did a gag episode by turning into anime for one sequence
Gee, I wonder
inb4 somebody brings up the SU animated by Trigger sequence

Megas XLR

>inb4 literally the OP's image

Damn Wally.

The better question is, who hates their respective industry more, Miyazaki or Alan Moore?

>some
>popular
At least 70% of SU is anime references, and most of those are from older, obscure animes that people even here wouldn't be able to know about so I wouldn't say they're popular anime (wherein "popular" is being defined with regard to Western cultures outside of Japan and Asia as a whole).

OP should have posted the actual fight sequence

Just another afternoon in Simcity

>Done by an actual anime animator
>Fan animation is STILL better

When the fuck will SU get away from flat fucking angles, holy shit man. Do they not know what "dynamic" is? Sure, the animation is great, but it's still a shit fight until the camera cuts to an actually interesting angle.

Even doing a little thing like having them move a bit further off on the stage so the camera pans to get away from being static would help it.

All I see is slightly more fluid animation on Stevonnie and a behind-the-shoulder perspective being used. Is there more to this or what.

>I long presumed Japs fundamentally approached drawing/animation differently because there's always a tell that something's western or Japanese.
That's not wholly unfounded. If you're watching middle episodes of Batman TAS you can tell if it was done by a Japanese studio rather than one of the western ones, but you need to have a keen eye and background knowledge of contemporary anime that was being made at the time.
Robin's Reckoning is a good example of this, there's subtle changes to how the camera pans on a scene and the way characters' facial expressions articulate compared to the last few episodes before it

Why was my post deleted before?

I really wish SU would stop trying so hard to emulate anime.

I think that's it. Although, I did like TAWOG's one better for the reasons stated by

I don't think SU has the budget for any dramatic fight scenes like this. It doesn't help that most of the time fight scenes are cut short as episodes are barely 10 minutes long.

You think they try hard? It seems to come pretty naturally.

how do you know hori animated this and not Jeff or Joe?

But they're already paying an anime animator to do something fluid regardless. They don't charge by the camera angle. Why couldn't the first angle be slightly above head and then go into the second angle the way it is now and keep the same time length, same choreography, etc?

You hire a guy from Trigger, a studio known for extremely stylized animation and fight scenes. And you use him for an on model song. Honestly that is kinda wasting them.

Let's see:
EVA - Congratulations!, Eva 01's Berserk mode
Akira - Tetsuo consumed but with cats instead
Revolutionary Girl Utena - 1:1 copy of a fight sequence between Pearl and Holo-Pearl
Gurren-Lagann/Mazinger - Garnet's Rocket Punch
Dragon Ball Z/Naruto - Weighted clothing
Cowboy Bebop - 1:1 ripoff of the video tape Spike watches
Castle in the Sky - Ruby and Sapphire's fusion dance
they collide with one another
Dragon Ball/Dragon Ball Z - Scouter, Nimbus, Son Goku's karate gi, Jasper's head peaking out of the water
HnK/Stardust Crusaders - two people throwing rapid punches at each other, causing ripples as
Sailor Moon - Cutie Moon Rod attack, Peridot saving Amethyst
That's what I have off the top of my head and I don't doubt that there's way more than that. If it isn't trying too hard to reference them, then it certainly is relying too much on referencing them altogether.

This doesn't look any different from what the show usually looks like. No wait I take that back, there's a little more bounce in the hair and the ponytail follows the head motions. How much did they spend on just this?

Ryuko>Satsuki.

>pleb taste

>insult to anime
Honey, animu does that by itself.
Also, nice webmd

>Sugar embraces the board artists to go off model
>Hires animator specifically for a fight scene
>MAKE SURE TO STAY ON MODEL AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE

Why.

>Sugar embraces the board artists to go off model
That explains why there's so many animation errors since the middle of season 2