I've been watching the old Dungeon's & Dragons cartoon from the 80's after buying the DVD set from Bi-Mart on a whim...

I've been watching the old Dungeon's & Dragons cartoon from the 80's after buying the DVD set from Bi-Mart on a whim. I heard that thing about Eric being a character pushed by soccer moms to encourage the whole "always stick with the group" moral that was popular in the 80's, but it feels like half the time he is completely justified with not wanting to deal with the bullshit that goes on around him on a daily basis. He's constantly using common sense and yet the rest of the party shits on him for it.

Also, is it just me or was Diana really thirsty for his dick?

Other urls found in this thread:

newsfromme.com/pov/col145-2/
geeklyinc.com/geekly-redux-dungeons-dragons-the-complete-animated-series/
youtube.com/watch?v=aNddW2xmZp8
comic.skullkickers.com/comic/2012-01-06#.V8vqsZgrIdU
lurkmore.com/view/List_of_notable_namefags_and_tripfags#Kaziklu
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Satanic_ritual_abuse#As_a_moral_panic
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

i've never seen this show but that delicious brown girl looks delicious

He's justified often because the writers didn't really disagree with him. He was a character whose always being wrong was mandated by the execs, not the writers. So they didn't try very hard to make him sound wrong.

>Using "common" sense in a magical wish-fulfillment universe overseen by an omnipotent midget, and not trying to figure out how he wants you to "play" the game.

Later in life, Eric has become one of my favorite characters.

I never watched the show, it was before my time.

Can someone explain the backstory of this and what issue the moms had?

I remember an episode where some 30+ old king wanted Shiela as his queen for teen dickings

In the 80s? Probably the first thing they thought of when they heard Dungeons and Dragons was it being a front for Satanism.

It's probably why they gave him the power set they did, just to make him even more sympathetic when he threw himself in harms way for the sake of the others.

It's really all up there. In the 80s cartoons pushed conforming with the group big time. The Garfield cartoon had three character in it that specifically parodied this trend called the Buddy Bears and they're not that far off from what they're parodying.

To push this moral there was usually a character in the show that didn't get along with the rest of the group and complained about everything. In D&D this character was Eric the cavalier, who would bitch about staying in weird places, getting involved with some local thing, or about how their wise mentor didn't just give them straight answers. The thing about Eric is that, even though it isn't acknowledged by the show, he's proven absolutely correct at least half the time.

Did soccer moms even exist back then?

That was their prime era, user.

I miss cartoons like that so much. There's barely anything like it anymore. Why can't they make a show about hack and slash adventure with sorcery where the characters look like actual people?

Did this show have an actual ending? I forget. I just remember being angry about something.

>Also, is it just me or was Diana really thirsty for his dick?

Nah, she was just the sassy black woman, and he was the easiest target for that sass.

>the final episode will NEVER get animated
This still hurts.

hell it's not even just that. Out of all the characters he's the one we learn the most about outside the DnD world and he's always the one ready to make the biggest sacrifices for the team

This.

IIRC there was an interview somewhere where one of the lead writers went on about how in nearly every show he did during the 80's this was a recurring theme. By the time they were doing this show, they were not only sick of it but actually wanted to point out some of the flaws in the concept.

I'm somewhat suspicious that it made kids who grew up in the 80's and 90's afraid of ever voicing their own opinions too strongly, but then again I might just be a big pussy.

>what is Google?

newsfromme.com/pov/col145-2/

I always felt that Sokka remembered me of Eric, even more on season 1.

you gotta play the fucking game and "common sense" goes out the window after a day there

>And then there is this shit!

>8/8/97

And yet people still pay attention to female hysterics and busybodies.

they existed since the 70s

they have really only gotten more powerful over the years

the 2000s were a short period of peace in this shit-storm

more detailed character designs are much harder to animate
the majority of cartoons from that era barely had animation better than Scooby-Doo
Those few that had legitimately good animation employed legions of Japanese slave-laborers, and usually did not last that long

I can't believe they got away with that design. On a teenage girl, too.

What are you Amish?

God I loved this show as a kid. I remember two episodes in particular being pretty next level for the time.

The first, when they actually get home, but (Venger was it?) follows them. Realizing he's way too dangerous to exist in a realm without magic, they get him to return by baiting him to follow them re-trapping themselves.

The second was the realm they go to where their magic weapons were made and are GREATLY enhanced. They make short work of Venger and Hank considers taking him out. But they realize that would make them just as bad. This is also the episode where you find out about Venger's family.

>Show based on DnD
>They never go to the tomb of horrors or face the Tarrasque
>They never get killed via "Rocks Fall everyone dies"

Nah, just surprised considering how censored a lot of 80's cartoons were in general.

Fuck those lightweights, they never had to mess with the dreaded gazebo

Mark Evanier was the writer for this show?

>Not dealing with that one idiot who put a bag of holding in a portable hole.

She had a tit slip in the cartoon, but you don't want to see it. Trust me.

just an American

outrageous claims need proof user

not to mention the entire parties were just humans

I actually wonder how a modern DnD cartoon would play out.

You fool, you know not what you ask. But very well, enjoy:

geeklyinc.com/geekly-redux-dungeons-dragons-the-complete-animated-series/

Well played user.

I should have headed your wisdom

It's like that scene in The Shining when Jack Nicholson realizes who he's really making out with.

That genre is called Isekai.

Amazing how every generation loves to demonize the hobbies of their children.

>My first thought was to sell it back to them for ransom. I suggested we go to the nearby pay phone, call Marvel with a handkerchief over the receiver and say, "We have your presentation. If you ever want to see it again, send Jerry Eisenberg out naked with fifty thousand dollars."
OH god!

Everyone who's played always had that temptation whenever the oppurtunity was there

Some just want to see the world burn

Yeah he wrote a lot of cartoons. In fact it makes sense that the Buddy Bears would be a shot fired at the line of thinking toward the parental groups. "If you ever disagree, that means you are wrong" and all that.

She was one of my first ever boners. That show teached me that brown is law.

>80s

It goes further than that, really. Even the Oscar Meyer hot dog song was all DON'T YOU DARE THINK OUTSIDE THE GROUP. I mean, you've heard the jingle, but you never saw the commercial I bet.

youtube.com/watch?v=aNddW2xmZp8

He knew that if he ever wanted to put his wiener in her bun he'd have to play her game...for now.

A story as old as human memory itself!

Sun wukong
Nameles rank and file soilder female
Gunslinger Loner

These are my party members

And now I'm sad we'll never get anything D&D related that's worth watching ever again. The last great thing we got was the Fell's Five comic.

Non Sup Forums related, acquisitions incorporated is one of many things that made me want to get into D&D. Shame I'll never find a group

The Dungeon and Dragons scare was the last huge "this thing is a cult for our kids" thing to exist. Pokemon and stuff had the crazies saying it was satanic but even then it never got as bad as the anti D&D shit of the 80s.

Oh you still to this day have wackos south of the bible belt in small towns saying Skylanders is made by the devil but the media doesn't bother to entertain that brand of crazy anymore.

The D&D fright will remain the greatest and biggest push back from adults over stupid kid shit. Even if you didn't agree with the religion angle a lot of parents assumed it was something inherently harmful to a kids psyche.

Jim Zub, who wrote Fell's Five, is still doing D&D comics, though.

It's not strictly D&D, but Skullkickers is worth a read too, especially now he's put it all up for free.

comic.skullkickers.com/comic/2012-01-06#.V8vqsZgrIdU

It'll happen again. These trends never go away, it happens every generation.

Was the short balding guy a good DM?

It's not happening on the scale and the level of stupid of D&D satanism but if you say so chief.

Not him but I'd argue that the anti vaccine movement changed the shift into something real. As in there's an actual consequence to the stupidity of it that made parents actually think instead of ride a hype train. Also the internet being more widespread helped this boogeyman thing no longer be a thing.

"Everything the kids are into is destroying society" is a sentiment as old as society itself.

>pdf of the anti dnd booklet is 5mb.
fuuu- have the table of contents and intro then.

NRAF Soldier for ever.

He did the best he could with the group he was stuck with.

Jim Zub, the guy who doing an appalling job in Thunderbolts, also wrote the fantastic Fell's Five comics? Jesus, did he just base the latter on a D&D game he was part of and take all the dialogue from the other players?

Moral majority had a lot of influence over the culture back then. People think religious right is bad now, don't know how easy they've got with those guys.

That said, there's still a lot more pushback against harry potter than I expected to ever see. Just like you said, the media ain't going along with it this time since they don't have the power they used to.

Dungeon Master taught you well, young warrior.

Except the time he didn't try to nail Zynda in her real form. She actually wasn't unnattractive.

That one time they got back to their own world only to have Venger follow them and Eric just wanted to call the cops on his one horned ass...but his suit of armor didn't have any change for the payphone. Sucks being that right and still being "wrong."

I think in this case it's his Thunderbolts that's the exception to the rule, not vice versa. But I don't read Marvel these days so I have no idea how his Thunderbolts is. Most of Jim Zub's stuff is fucking gold.

Soccer was already popular with kids back then?

>pantyshot

Actually happened in the show a few times, believe it or not.

It is time to unleash the serpent.

>had a black character who wasn't a racial stereotype or 'strong empowered women of color' just a regular person in a strange world

No way you'll get that today

John Rogers wrote Fell's Five.

Jim Zub writes that god awful Bulder's Gate ongoing.

Well, shit. Disregard me, I suck socks.

Skull Kickers is still good though.

Isn't Diana a bit old and non-Slavic for your tastes, Kaziklu?

lurkmore.com/view/List_of_notable_namefags_and_tripfags#Kaziklu

Fictional brown girls are okay. Katara is among my favourite girls for instance. They're only unappealing IRL.

He is the Paladin. He is the stick in every group's wheel. His purpose is to be single minded and annoying, always threatening to break the group.

>Did this show have an actual ending?
The ending, "Requiem", had a script but it was never animated. Eventually an audio version was made (as a DVD bonus I think?).

The kids discovered Venger was the dungeon master's son, who turned to evil and is a prisoner in the realm as they are. They eventually return him to his good self and the dungeon master, in thanks, opens the portal back home. The kids get the choice between going home or staying for more adventures, as evil still lurks in the realm. Their final choice is left open, as this was meant to possibly lead into more seasons.

>wait wasn't there something fucked-up about this show?
>check
>the final episode was left unproduced
Just why? Why do something like that? It's like ripping the last few pages from a book.

Could this have a chance of being rebooted? D&D is still popular and people don't think it's literally satanism anymore.

All averages are unappealing.

I mean, would you call these average black girls?

And somehow I managed to forget my pic for both posts.

The deal for the season that should've had the pseudo-finale simply didn't pan out. It happens. And especially back then even having a final episode was rare. Given how the series was structured, it's less of a problem than with, say, pirates of darkwater

>I'm somewhat suspicious that it made kids who grew up in the 80's and 90's afraid of ever voicing their own opinions too strongly

Well, that was the intended result.

The "contrarian is always wrong" message was pushed through all 80s childrens cartoons. It was deliberate brainwashing.

>freedom

I hate brown skin. I even find tanned white girls gross. It looks filthy and diseased, and absolutely foreign.

Didn't they all get eaten by Tiamat in canon?

You saying communism was right you fucking queer? Your different way of thinking is very dangerous eh commrade Ivan?

So hard to tell if this post is ironic.

My White Brother!

Fight racemixing!

nah, only in an in-joke in Baldur's gate 2

Thank you! I am familiar with those Baldur's Gate comics as well, and I was afraid the man had completely lost his gift.

Live action cinematic reboot when?

Vin Disel can play that midget wizard

It's kind of an Arthur Dent situation, isn't it?

He's a man of common sense, which is of little use in a world that doesn't make any kind of sense at all, let alone common.

They just changed what the "threats" are, but they're still complaining about them.
>this shit makes you worship satan
>this shit erodes your morals
>this shit makes you stupid
>this shit makes you lazy and fat
>this shit makes you a killer
>this shit makes you racist/sexist

Apply to music, TV, RPGs, video games, etc. as relevant.

>He's constantly using common sense and yet the rest of the party shits on him for it.
Well, no. They shit on him for being obnoxious and self-absorbed—which he is.

It's really not comparable:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Satanic_ritual_abuse#As_a_moral_panic