Is the Invisibles Grant Morrison's worst book?

Is the Invisibles Grant Morrison's worst book?

No

Try some of his late 2000s vertigo work. Or 18 Days if we're counting that

It's down there for me, for sure. But he has written a lot of stinkers, to be honest. It's like picking up a Philip K Dick book: Some are brilliant and some are just kinda there.

Invisibles was good. A lot better than his more recent stuff like Nameless or Annihilator.

Nah, Nameless and Annihilator are good, it's stuff like Joe the Barbarian and Vimanarama that suck

How can it when final crisis exists.

Kill your boyfriend and new adventures of hitler are both worthless wank, they try to be subversive and fail miserably

I love final crisis but this book is soooo hard to read. I makes me mentally exhausted. What's going on????????

Easily his most divisive.

Hitler book is great though.

Not even close, he has a lot of worse stuff.

Happy! was fun book, if just for the ending. (Although it was paced awkwardly to be sure)

No that honor would belong to this atrocity.

>Grant Morrison on an Image Comic
RARE

It will get a continuation later this year.

Doom Patrol, obv.

The last issue with the Krampus was glorious.

I enjoy Klaus

Nope, the worst Morrison's comic book is Arkham Asylum

Fuck you, Morrison writes the best Darkseid.

I wasn't fond of The Filth.

That was the one with the huge flying sperm, right?

That's not even bad

Joe the Barbarian is fine for what it is.

Kill Your Boyfriend is fantastic!...if you're an edgy angsty 15yr old who thinks Fight Club and Catcher in the Rye are the pinnacle of literature and think Wanted is the bees knees in the cat's pajamas.

In the final issue, Morrison literally tells you, within the text, that if you haven't understood the story then you need to go back and re-read it.

It's an incredibly dense read, but each time you go through it further clarity is brought to the text.

I'm saying this as someone who once thought Final Crisis was a meaningless trash pile.

>tfw have read it over 100 times now and still don't get it

Terrible taste, desu.

I usually say books like that "do not survive later rereading". But I'm sometimes surprised at stuff that does survive later rereading.

nice troll

>I'm saying this as someone who once thought Final Crisis was a meaningless trash pile.
>I'm saying this as a cry for help

I'm here user.

If I wasn't already into Terence McKenna, Lovecraft, and everything posted on /x/, The Invisibles would have been an impossible read. Instead it remained just an incredibly dense, hard-to-follow one.

I recently gave it a third start to finish read and I've gone so far down the rabbit hole into whack-a-doo territory since I first read it, that nothing went over my head this time. And I think that's what makes The Invisibles great: it baits you into checking out a bunch of other weird shit to the point that it literally changes your life and shapes your tastes into something more interesting than it was before.

But, like, that doesn't make it a technically "good" comic. Like most post-modernist stuff, sometimes it feels like it's throwing all technique out the window for the sake of something overly personal and nigh-impossible to enjoy as a consumer.

If you go along for the ride willingly, it's going to blow your mind. If you want it to cater to you and entertain you like most comics, you'll hate it.

but /x/ is shit

V2 with all the Jimenez/Weston art is the best.

See, for me the Invisibles introduced me to all of that. I got into Morrison through capeshit and dug through to the Invisibles. The first read, I understood very little but enjoyed a lot anyway. A lot of the stand alone issues ("Best Man Fall" and "How I Became Invisible") are just plain good stories even if you don't understand all of the ways they tie into later plots.

It also has a bit of a Back to the Future vibe in that it's really efficient. Every single panel of every single page is either set up or pay off, in some way. By the time I tried shrooms and LSD, I gave Invisibles another go and was absolutely blown away by how reminiscent some issues and arcs are of a psychedelic trip. That bit where they're on the plateau in New Mexico in particular. Also, one of the most important characters to the series (John-A-Dreams) only shows up like three times, and it's a really cool pay off if you've paid attention or read the "Our Sentence is Up!" annotations. And then I read Supergods and listened to Morrison's appearance on Kevin Smith's podcast and finally got into Chaos Magick, which has influenced my studies at uni (minoring in Religious Studies). So in those ways The Invisibles has been a positive effect on my life.

With all of that said, is it a good comic? I think so. It's three different comics, though, and some ideas Morrison has are executed better than others. The 2nd to last issue, where every page has a different artist sounds a lot cooler than it ends up on paper. Volume 2's latter half gets overly violent and Preacher-esque. It's intentional, but I still don't love it.

As for Morrison's worst work, I don't know, probably Happy.

yes

Writing about psychedelic experiences is always risky. Some readers will take offense, or dismiss it as a nonsense.

To get the message out, it's better to extrapolate it and obscure it, then relate it to more mainstream ideas. Like, say, JLA or Batman. And even then some people don't like having to decipher their comics a la Final Crisis