Why hasn't there been a Magic The Gathering cartoon?

There have been many shows that were made to sell card games. The Yugioh anime has been constantly airing since 2000, and in the west we've had shows like Chaotic and Redakai.

So, why hasn't there been a Magic the Gathering cartoon.

Other urls found in this thread:

salon.com/2001/03/26/wizards_part2/
youtube.com/watch?v=LdDXMG9jvwg
youtube.com/watch?v=SfHuYo9Hw1Q
artofmtg.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Because it's better as an anime and they won't risk spending money against yugioh in their own game

it's a 13+ game

Because Wizards is super old school and protective of their IP. This is why Hearthstone and Hex are snatching up the market while they're stuck with shitty MTGO.

And it doesn't matter to them because Magic keeps making more and more money.

AH HA HA HA HA HA!

HASBRO owns WOTC and calls ALL the shots.

The reason there is no cartoon is because they are TRYING for a live action movie right now with a few of the Game of Thrones TV script writers.

We will see if it ends up the same blockbuster Ouija and Jem were.

They tried licensing it out to Disney 15 years ago, but it was a miserable experience so they gave up on brand management initiatives after that.

salon.com/2001/03/26/wizards_part2/

>it's a "Jace pulls a win all odds because he's poster boy"
No, fuck it.

But that manga was horrible.

Their trailers are pretty neat.

youtube.com/watch?v=LdDXMG9jvwg

I stopped playing about 10 years ago so i don't know much about these new planeswalkers, but everytime people talk about a LA movie they always says it's gonna be about the "jacetice league", whatever that is.

I always loved the weatherlight saga and thought Urza was a very interesting character, would it be possible to make a movie about that?

it would go to pg13 shit, so i doubt phyrexia would git gud

If I'd had to guess, the two possible ways they could make a show about MTG probably didn't appeal to investors. They either do some kind of meta garbage like Captain N that involves the protagonist actually playing Magic. Or they do an adaptation of the in-game lore, which is pretty sporadic and doesn't really have an established cast of characters that would fit well with a cartoon series. Well, maybe the crew of the Weatherlight. Either way, we're talking about a serialized show, and networks prefer shit that's episodic.

>Posting the wrong trailer
youtube.com/watch?v=SfHuYo9Hw1Q

Quickly Sup Forums, what's best guild?

I don't like Jace because he's Bluefag.Most people don't like Jacetice League because they DEVOUR spotlight. You can't throw rock in current stories without hitting one of those five.
I didn't play much of older Magic, but Weatherlight seemed rad as fuck. Karn best boy.
Selesnya hivemind.

They're all assholes

I stopped after the first Innistrad set. I was trying to break into standard and realized it's a money sink. That and I have a competitive reanimator deck so Legacy was more my thing.

Izzet.
Overload is a great mechanic, Blustersquall has won me so many games.

orzhov
the bank always wins

You chose the perfect time to leave, most of the sets after OG Innistrad have been shitty

Awesome art, too.

Is there any website/gallery to see the artwork of the cards? Its really great and inspiring, but having to browse trough weird Wikipedia pages to see each individual card is really awkward. Can anyone help?

Oh, I kept up on news and stuff. And I agree. I'd like to try out the recent Innistrad block, but I just can't argue spending the money.

Speaking of charts, best God and shard? I wonder is there updated version for Tarkir.
artofmtg.com/

Boros has objectively the best girls

Izzet and Orzhov.
I have a soft spot for Dimir.

New Innistrad has some wacky stuff.

A friend of mine was saddened to see what happened to the two angels that fused together. (I forget their names offhand.) He liked them both.

I liked Avacyn.

Yeah, that upset people the most. That and Sorin getting whacked.

I'm fed up with Wizards saying that black isn't evil then making everything related to it being cartoonishly evil. Making white "just as bad" doesn't help.

Hey yo, what's up?

>Sorin getting whacked.
What?
I haven't been keeping up with the storylines all the much.

Top waifu.

>they always says it's gonna be about the "jacetice league", whatever that is

4 neowalkers(including jace) formed a group to defend all the worlds after they defeated these monsters that were cthlulu tier in power when in another storyline 3 of the oldwalkers pre-mending couldn't defeat them.

I imagine it being saturday morning cartoon tier with Phyrexia being Team Rocket

Where do I go to read up on the lore of Magic?

Sorin is alive, but trapped in stone with little grinding stone teeth inside that can't kill him but prevent him from being able to planeswalk.

>making white "just as bad" doesn't help

I don't know if a "cartoon" can work. The series takes itself pretty seriously.
A few years back, there was a one-shot manga of japanese highschoolers playing the game. And no mystical shit, just them playing the game. I'd read that if they continued it, but for now all I have are Wixoss and Wizard's Soul.

The MTG Salvation wiki would probably be an okay place to start, since it links to relevant stories in the lore articles most of the time.

They have comics, centered around Dack Fayden fucking about in the multiverse, so I imagine a cartoon series, or "Animated Series" if they want it to sound more serious, would essentially be the same kind of stuff. The adventures of a random planeswalker, rather than Jacetice League stuff.

Twenty years of SACRIFICE YOUR HEALTH POINTS TO BUTTFUCK ENEMY leaves hell of a stigma.
Forgive if I forget something.
>be Sorin
>go to Zendikar
>team up with Nahiri and Ugin
>imprison Eldrazi
>return to Innistrad and dick around
>Eldrazi weren't imprisoned THAT good, Nahiri comes to ask for help
>tell her to fuck off
>she attacks you
>imprison her in Helvault, fancy place where all demons are trapped
>leave Innistrad, come back to see your house wrecked and people whacked
>who did it?
>it was batshit insane Nahiri, that's who
>ends up trapped in stone while Eldrazi are om nom noming Innistrad
And Olivia took his fancy sword.
Yeah, whacked is probably strong word. He's screwed for now, anyway.

I would rather have a power metal album based on mtg.

Could be cool if done right...

Damn. I was wondering why Sorin just kind of disappeared after ganking Avacyn.
That's a pretty rough fate for an immortal vampire.
Although I guess he had it coming for not doing the job right the first time and refusing to fix his mistake.

>SACRIFICE YOUR HEALTH POINTS TO BUTTFUCK ENEMY

Ah, Necropotentce. Don't forget black is also good for graveyard fuckery.

>I guess he had it coming for not doing the job right the first time and refusing to fix his mistake.

What exactly do you think he did?

Orzhov

You can catch up and easily understand that meme by playing Magic Duels (PC, Android, Xbox, probably PS4 too)

The only things left of the Weatherlight Saga are Karn, and a newly created Phyrexia. They'd probably want any new media to be up to date with the game, so the only way anything about Urza would get in would be if Karn or New Phyrexia were a part of it.

Only played the magic 2012 game on the PS3. Had fun online but no fucking way am I gonna throw down more money to play this irl.

>making a gigantic push towards diversity, inclusiveness and progressiveness
>their poster boy that solves all the problems is a dorky white guy with an asian girlfriend
WotC are so fucking transparent

Magic Duels is free and lets you stay up to date for most part with the cards and lore.

The fun part about Magic is that if you play it smart, you can cash out for a pretty significant sum once you're done with it.

What a qt

I bought four Elesh Norn's at $5 a piece. This was before people realized her usefulness.

Yeah. They'd have to put out lots of Black's photos with fiancee, dog and rose to improve his image.

She's alright.

I bought a playset of Liliana of the Veil at an all-time low of $16 each. It's some good shit.

Lilliana is asian?

Liliana is his ex.
I assume they're thinking of Tamiyo, but that's not really a thing either.

I bought 3 Nahiris for $8 and a foil for $20. Imagine how I felt when that bitch spiked to $40

He's already with Tamiyo? Kekorama.
Chances Chandra will be Red walker in India set?

Just play Shandalar, mate. Modded Shandalar is the shit.

100%. She may not be printed until the next set in the block though.

Kaldesh is her home plane. Of course it'll be about her.
I was really hoping we'd see walkers based off of Speed Racer and Mad Max.

Well, pic explains it. I didn't see it until you posted.
Right? Moment I saw races I deemed Kaldesh second best plane ever.

If Chandra's fighting alongside an aetherborn a human and a bot, all using aether powered weapons, what are they fighting?

The government.
Tezzeret.
Phyrexia.

There are plenty of possibilities.

Its already established shes going to be rakdos this block, the government on kaladesh killed her parents so shes going to kill the government. Also there is a device that makes planar portals work again up for grabs for whomever wins this conflict so expect tezzeret.

Government, probably. They're anti-pyromancers, after all.
Can't wait for Eldrazi vs Phyrexia, desu. /tg/ will be in flames.

The subject material is a little too dark to be a cartoon, since cartoons in the west are only for kids.

If you toned it down to PG levels it just wouldn't even be Magic anymore.

Maybe literal revolting aether?
Aether that disagreed to be used.

The Aetherborn are like slag Aether that turns sentient and lives a short, pitiful life. There's a pretty good chance they're the Aether that's revolting.

Motherfucker I will fight you, orzhov girls best girls

>They either do some kind of meta garbage like Captain N that involves the protagonist actually playing Magic.
I watched Gundam Build Fighters recently and it was awesome. I kind of see an MTG cartoon being like that now. People playing Magic but with like a virtual reality element showing the action.

cont.
It could even be live-action/cartoon mixed with the battle sequences animated

That's a little too Yugioh.

The Duel Masters manga started off with Magic as the game they play. If they hadn't decided to develop the separate Duel Masters game to serve as an easier entry level game, the anime would have been about Magic too (it actually adapts those early Magic chapters with DM instead).

duelmasters still has jace in it

Black is at its best with cartoonishly evil. Braids, Yawg, fucking Skellum (who sadly never got a card).

Maybe if magic the gathering had a show i might have picked up how to play magic.
Yugioh is all i know, but i'd really like to know how to play magic

It's really easy, senpai.

They do make two player, pre-made, deck packs. You don't shuffle them initially, and there's a step-by-step instructions on what do do with the cards you draw. It walks you through everything.

Wasn't the card game in YGO originally going to be MTG too? I remember hearing about that but they wouldn't license it for Takahashi. This was back when it was a one-off thing by the way. I'm not sure ifnthat's true though.

clusterfluke shit card game that filled a void ascending from D&D and was quickly subverted to the same creators of D&D and then handed off

so if they make anything it will be D&D related, not MTG related, it will never be MTG related because of the 20 other things they rather make a show out of in their game store

>There's an official MtG module for D&D.

is Wizard's Soul still even on-going?

I honestly hope Garruk invades Kaladesh and fucks everything up with giant beasts and shit

leave the whole jacetice league but chandra out of this for once

I have no idea. Most places have taken it down. Which sucks, because it was interesting. As a control player, the no-fun was an interesting hook.

There was a... Ouija movie?

Yeah, Planeshift: Zendikar.
>tfw Chandra realizes she's in over her head and summons her besties

Liliana is already confirmed to be there lorewise.

Who is the Jacetice League and why do you hate them?

I'd like an adaptation of the Brothers' War. It doesn't need to be part of a larger arc, just cover it on its own.

Jacetice league is Wizards attempt to turn plansewalkers into iconic marketable characters.

And I hate it because it's fucking tacky.

There's an online game called Magic Duels on Steam which is sort of like Hearthstone, except with MtG cards and rules. It's perfect for learning how to play and is how I started playing when it first came out.

The game is free by the way, I forgot to mention that

Rather than sets introducing new characters that solve the issues of their plane on their own, now every set is about an intrepid band of heroes roving between each plane who are the main characters now and everyone else can fuck off.

is there any actual money involved?
like buying cards?

For magic duels, you can either pay to get more cards or play the game and unlock new stuff.

Or you can also download programs like xmage, build your own deck and play that way.

Speaking of Japanese Card Games, why the fuck do they all have such high numbers for stats? That shit's hard to keep track of.