King cares so much that he takes an obscure team and based an entire run on an obscure mention from 1972

>King cares so much that he takes an obscure team and based an entire run on an obscure mention from 1972

>Other writers can't even bother to keep characterizations, relationships or things that happened in other books in order

Is this the biggest problem plaguing superhero comics today? That writers just don't care or that they are hiring writers that never read comics or care to go back and read them? What's the solution?

Other urls found in this thread:

io9.gizmodo.com/one-of-comics-best-new-writers-talks-about-what-it-s-l-1782297630
newsarama.com/29070-getting-inside-the-head-of-dc-s-rebirth-batman-writer-tom-king.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>cares so much

ok I love King but his original pitch was a Guardians of the Galaxy ripoff. This was the quick fix when they told him they didn't wanna emulate marvel.

Go back to bed you bald valor stealing cuck.

>Other writers can't even bother to keep characterizations, relationships or things that happened in other books in order
Funny you should mention that, considering Kyle was never religious and he's Hispanic on his deadbeat father's side so he wouldn't be able to just casually speak Spanish like it's nothing.

Source on that bullshit cause I highly fucking doubt that considering the whole book is a Iraq allegory.

Kyle wasn't religious when he was Ion? I could have swore he was.

This has been going on forever. Fans of the original comics grow up and write new ones, usually adding in stuff they think is perfect (see: Geoff Johns believing Superboy is Lex's son, and when he gets the book whatdoyouknow). People like Bendis think up stories first and put in characters later, ignoring their previous iterations as if they are new slates.

The solution is obvious - focus more on original works. At least there, continuity isn't an issue.

He said himself that was his original pitch.

Or just don't hire writers that don't know anything. I think when you are put on a character you should be giving a pile of recommended reading and it should be mandantory that you do so. Editors used to step in and make sure the books were all aligned but editors are just a joke in comics now.

Source

Yeah unfortunately quality and history is the first thing to go when you stop being selective on who you let write your books.

He was raised Catholic, but he was lapsed during his adult life.

No, what he said was like GotG his plan was to use an obscure team from the past and make them popular.

io9.gizmodo.com/one-of-comics-best-new-writers-talks-about-what-it-s-l-1782297630
King: Omega Men has got to be down in the alphabet. I feel like it’s in the R- or S-range. Way down there. [laughs]

They approached me with Omega Men. It was the weekend Guardians of the Galaxy came out and I was like, “I get it.” I just wanted to write comics so I pitched them what I thought they wanted to hear. I pitched Guardians of the Galaxy. Exactly that.

I threw away the old main characters and brought in a new ragtag bunch of guys who were kind of silly and funny but really serious. They came back with, “Hey, you just pitched us Guardians of the Galaxy. Are you aware of that?” I was like, “Yeah. Isn’t that what you want? They said, “No. Do something crazy. Do something that relies on your CIA stuff.”

he said he pitched a GOTG ripoff because he thought that's what DC wanted, when they asked him "wtf is this shit" then he came up with what we got

newsarama.com/29070-getting-inside-the-head-of-dc-s-rebirth-batman-writer-tom-king.html

>King: So Omega Men came about because Brian Cunningham wanted to relaunch it at DC and they were looking for a writer with a different take on this. I guess it was the C.I.A. stuff, so they asked me if I have a different take on this and it was the same weekend that Guardians of the Galaxy hit huge and it was like, I get it. This is what you want for your analog. Okay. We’re going to be the NSync to their Backstreet Boys, okay. So I pitch it as Guardians of the Galaxy in the DCU and so you had a Legion of Superheroes character, an Atomic Knights character, they’re all together having adventures.

>King: Exactly! So they take that and go “you basically just pitched Guardians of the Galaxy, you realize that right?” and I was like, isn’t that what you wanted? Aren’t we in the business of copying Marvel?

>King: I was ignorant! I didn’t know better! I don’t know, it was just a bad presumption on my part. So they said no, we want you to do something original and cool. So I was like, how about terrorists in space. And they go, do that, something crazy and cool. Let’s see if we can make it the worst-selling comic in DC, but still get 12 issues out of it. I was like great plan! [laughs]

I hate you so much for making me go and look this up. It's so easily findable and it was posted here multiple times at the time. You just assumed you were right with no information at all. I despise you. I hope you die.

So what you're saying is, a GotG ripoff was his original pitch. Like I said.

OP is talking about continuity though.

Also: I really like Omega Men but it's not faithful to the original Omega Men team, any of its revivals, or the character of Kyle as-was (King's Kyle is much better and should become the default, because there are so many places he can go now). I have no idea where the notion King is a big-time continuity fag comes from, other than him using stellarium. That's a totally different thing to characterization consistency.

Jesus fuck, I love King and Omega Men as much as anyone but he just wrote a good comic. People have been writing good comics forever. Literally nothing in your post is indicative of problems currently facing the industry. With few exceptions lines have always been two stellar comics, ten mediocre comics, thirty shitty comics.

Yes, but I don't see how that means that the book we ended up with was something slapped together real quick

OP here, not just continuity, also just things like who they are friends with, and how they behave. Like for example when Namor was killed by Hyperion, where was Doom? Or when Hercules had all that magic stuff going down where was Strange? Just little things like that that are easily addressed but writers choose to ignore or don't even think about.

>or the character of Kyle as-was (King's Kyle is much better and should become the default, because there are so many places he can go now).
THIS

I liked him less and less every time I saw him until Omega Men but he was actually a good character in that

Shame it's probably just going to get disregarded

I did not say that it was, user. You're arguing against a point I never made.

>OP here, not just continuity, also just things like who they are friends with, and how they behave. Like for example when Namor was killed by Hyperion, where was Doom? Or when Hercules had all that magic stuff going down where was Strange? Just little things like that that are easily addressed but writers choose to ignore or don't even think about.
well people were wondering why nobody noticed or cared that Kyle went missing/got kidnapped

My bad. In that case I don't know what you meant by this

>This was the quick fix when they told him they didn't wanna emulate marvel
What else did you mean by quick fix?

What are you talking about? You don't think mischaracterization, lack of knowledge about a character, or ignoring what's going on in other books are issues plaguing the industry right now? It very much is.

And King is good at this because... he put Kyle in an isolated sector of space with an isolated team and didn't have them interact with any of the rest of the DCU?

Do you even know how the Vega system has been used in the past in the DCU user? Because L.E.G.I.O.N. was there, R.E.B.E.L.S. was there, the GL have been there, the Okaarans and Psions and all sorts of shit have been there. King didn't use any of that.

I didn't post that.

I'm not trying to make this thread about King. You are too fixated on that. I just cited an example of King looking up an obscure piece of history and using it. Most writers wouldn't have bothered.

>I'm not trying to make this thread about King.
>The OP picture is King's comic
>King is the only writer mentioned by name
>Everyone else is referred to as "other writers"

Did you want me to cite every writer I think has an issue with this? Why don't you stop throwing a fit cause you were triggered by King and contribute to the discussion.

I mean, I'm not triggered. I'm just pointing out your OP was clearly focused on King. I don't dislike King either, but I don't think he's really the poster child for this right now either. That's probably Ewing.

>Like for example when Namor was killed by Hyperion, where was Doom?

With Iron Man

>Or when Hercules had all that magic stuff going down where was Strange?

Dying from fighting the Sorcerer Supreme Butcher

>Woth Iron Man

Okay? So he wouldn't respond at all to them murdering one of his closest allies?

>dying from the Sorcerer Supreme Butcher

So a line about Hercules trying to contact Strange would have been nice.