Is known for giving their live-action shows million dollar budgets

>Is known for giving their live-action shows million dollar budgets
>Half their animation productions look like fucking shit

Fucking WHY.
This is setting aside story, why do original Netflix shows look fucking worse than imported Canadian shit? They have maybe like, four animation shows total that visually look good.

Netflix makes their own TV shows?

Where were you during the last couple of years?

Not paying attention to Netflix. Or at least not paying enough attention.

I used to have it. But I used it less and less until I couldn't really justify the price even with it being as cheap as it is. It's the same with Hulu.

So Narcos, House of Cards, Stranger Things...hell, lets get Sup Forums related. Daredevil, Jessica Jones...none of this is ringing a bell?

Come to think of it, isn't House of Cards largely responsible for bringing the term "binge-watching" into common use?

>none of this is ringing a bell?

Not at all.

If any of it's from the last year (almost) I wouldn't have had access to it anyway.

I don't watch Dawn of the Croods but Voltron looks great. What's the issue here?

>isn't House of Cards largely responsible for bringing the term "binge-watching" into common use?
No, you stupid nigger.

>Not at all.
Is this legitimately your first week on Sup Forums? Even if you paid zero attention to Netflix news, Sup Forums has been discussing Netflix shows for several years. Continuously.

I'd ask if you were from 3rd world shit-hole, but people from eastern europe, southeast asia and south america all rave about these shows all the time as well.

And these shows have been airing for years, not just the last year that you've missed.

There's really no excuse for you, is there?

Orange Is The New Black actually

you can pirate them

I'm not saying it's the origin of the term, I'm just saying that mainstream didn't really start using it til HoC came out. Up until then I really only heard it used by anime fans who had just torrented a season of something-or-other. It was never used by "normies" or whatever you want to call them.

doesn't explain ignorance of origin

America

What excuse? I didn't watch any of them. So I wouldn't have seen them. When I did use Netflix it was to watch a movie that I wanted to watch but didn't have, and they did. I just ended up using it less and less.

Because, like I keep saying, in the world of storytelling mediums, animation is a second-class citizen.

I wouldn't say that.

Between every animated show that has ever run (some basically becoming their own franchised empires) with the variety and flexibility it offers and the entirety of the video game industry I think animation is doing pretty good.

The cartoons have great VAs. That's more important for adult cartoons.

Ignoring the fact that there are daily Dare Devil and Jessica Jones threads whenever a new season drops with a big, red NETFLIX logo in the thumbnail, do you spend most of your time locked in a windowless room or something?
DD, House of Cards, Orange is the New Black and now Stranger Things are fucking hits.

I find it hard to believe this is new information to you unless you have zero contact with the outside world.

Dreamworks put a lot of money in their animation products, so most of their shows actually look good besides Croods and Home.

Why can't we have both?

Like, seriously. Live-action shows are allowed to have great actors AND great camera work + sets. But with animation it's like, one or the other. And I know animation is more time consuming, but it's got its own list of pros and cons. It's much easier to draw 15 different backgrounds of a house interior than to rent out a space and build an entire set and set it up to be shot for a show and to make a schedule for dozens of people to be available at the time to shoot a scene.

You know how much work goes into just having a HORSE on a set? So many regulations, so much nonsense to deal with just to record a goddamn actor with a horse for like, 20 seconds. You may as well fucking animate the damn thing. But why does it HAVE to stick figure animation? I ain't looking for Disney, but at least decent drawings would be nice.

Haven't seen F is for Family because I'm not a big Bill Burr fan, nor the DreamWorks animated spin-offs because why the fuck would I ever do that?
But as far as Bojack goes, the animation does its job and it doesn't really need to do anything more than that, so why complain?

Not every show has to be Super Jail.

They don't, actually.
They just have really low-requirement shows (House of cards, Orange is the new black), or really talented creators (Daredevil season 1)

For a good example of what a Netflix budget gets you, watch Jessica Jones. Great show, but there's at least a couple effects shots that make you wince

Marco Polo, Sense8 and The Get Down are gigantic money-sinks though.

The Get Down had a budget of 120$ million for the first season, which I think actually makes it the single most expensive season of TV ever made right next to Sense8. Both of them make GoT look like a dinner theatre production by comparison.

And Jessica Jones had behind-the-scenes issues which lad to it having even less of a budget then the average Netflix series.

Never seen BoJack Horseman?

I don't spend all of my time in a windowless room. That's probably how I've missed so many of these threads.

Also, I've explained my increasingly sparing use of Netflix. I didn't really have any reason to go into a Netflix thread. So using the Netflix logo isn't going to start a thread isn't really something that would normally get my attention.

People that aren't me liking shows that I haven't seen isn't going to change that fact.

No

Yes, when Netflix started losing a bunch of stuff to everyone starting their own competing services, they figured the best route forward was to build a library of Netflix Originals.

It's a pretty good animated sitcom about an old race horse who can't race anymore.

You might notice a large focus on live action, but they have started to build their animation library as well, primarily in the form of a large deal they made with DreamWorks Animation for 12 cartoons, but others cartoons are joining in as well.

Its amazing how low quality the home one is compared to the others

That makes sense. I was one of those customers that they lost.

I'm a little surprised they were hurting that much though. It was still better than Hulu. Though gradual, even tiny, price increases probably didn't help.

Well they are probably stretching a little thin; they are working on all 8 of those at the same time, and more are set to debut within the year.

You must be young. The mainstream started using the term with the growing popularity of dvd box sets rented through Netflix or a dying Blockbuster.

Please link me these high budget daredevil scenes because it doesn't have any cgi or special effects.

I mean, it's just ridiculous from a pop culture standpoint; Sup Forums threads (which wouldn't be started with a netflix logo, do you start MCU threads with a picture of a movie theater? don't answer that actually) aside, I don't know how you've avoided people talking about any of these shows. Do you not have a job or people to talk to or something? I'm having a hard time believing this.

On an unrelated note, how did Netflix Canada get the Canadian broadcast rights to Mike Tyson Mysteries over Adult Swim Canada?
You'd think they'd get dibs to it by default.

maybe he only watches good shows

Sense 8 was a pile of shit. They wasted it.

>which wouldn't be started with a netflix logo

But you said they were.

I don't talk to people about shows I don't watch because I don't watch them. I'm sure there's some song or TV show or movie that's really popular with some people right now that you've never heard of, and those people really liking it hasn't suddenly made you aware of it.

>implying Bloodline, OITNB, Stranger Things, Daredevil/Jessica Jones, Narcos, etc aren't all at least good shows.

At this point I'm more willing to trust them then HBO, which outside of The Night Of has been a tire-fire for dramatic TV recently.

Have you watched Dragons:Race to the edge?
The animation is really good it's in the same level as the first shrek movie

Dragon, even when it was on CN, had CG that was unusually good for a TV production.

Granted still a little janky here and there, but for TV? Pretty damn good.

>.hell, lets get Sup Forums related. Daredevil, Jessica Jones...
>not even mentioning the animated series but Sup Forums adaptations of comicbooks because superheroes
dammit user

Not Sup Forums-related but is Narcos any good?
I don't have too much free time and I'd rather be watching good stuff instead of trying it.

Voltron's anmation is a miracle of the universe.
Shame the action and plot are kinda underwhelming.

I don't watch but all my friends do
They only said positive things about the show
Also if you liked breaking bad you'll love it

They watched cable get away with similar for decades. Also, have you seen the kinds of shit that Netflix has posted? It's where half the
>These shit movies and sequels ACTUALLY EXIST!
vids on the internet come from.

Do you legitimately have no friends or family?

Saying "I've never watched them" or "I don't use Netflix" not an excuse for not knowing about them.

Do you know what year it is? Who the President is? Have you ever heard of American Idol? The Super Bowl?

I feel like you're being a bit too bemused by all this

Why do they pretend some of their anime are Netflix originals? Why lie about that of all things?

They'll define anything they have the localization rights to as a Netflix original.
Like the Danger Mouse reboot

They kick in money towards production and distribute it exclusively outside of Japan

It's close enough to being theirs that it's just arguing semantics

In his defence in europe switzerland and germany as far as I know Netflix isn't that popular.
I just downloaded the netflix shows, as pieating shit isn't illegal over here.

JJ is fucking horrible

And yet we couldn't have threads about it here, judging by that whole Akira debacle.

>hell, lets get Sup Forums related. Daredevil, Jessica Jones...none of this is ringing a bell?
ABC Studios pays for and produces those shows, not Netflix. Netflix is just the distributor who licensed them.

Yeah, it's good. It's about 60% in Spanish though, so if you don't speak it, be prepared to read some subs. Since most of us watch anime too, we don't give a fuck, but I was just putting it out there.

Voltron looks great.

>>Half their animation productions look like fucking shit
>Fucking WHY.

Because modern animators are lazy and unoriginal

I like Croods, not so much Home. Croods has a bit of plot which is nice (fucking cliffhangers) but Home seems to miss the whole changes-color-via-emotion thing that was in the movie and that kind of takes away from it.

I think I've been giving you too much credit.

Is your whole agreement really that I should choose what I watch based on what is popular?

I wish venture bros were a Netflix cartoon...

Not him, but I've never watched the majority of the Netflix shows, or Game of Thrones, or a number of other popular shows. I've still heard of them though. How can you have human contact and not at least hear about them, even if you don't talk about them? Do you even have a job?

>Have you ever heard of American Idol
To be fair, I hadn't until they were all talking about it being the final season on Normiebook.

For the Dreamworks shows it's because they signed a deal to make the spinoff shows before their original movies were released and then the movies came out and all underperformed, every last one of them.
it's the Osmosis Jones scenario
At the very least they're Titmouse animated, as far as tweened Flash goes you could do way worse
I do hope they get an attractive-looking, good traditionally animated show soon
BoJack's animation is totally servicable for what it is, but still tweened

He's not shocked that you haven't seen those shows, but rather that you've never heard of them. Fuck I've heard of them in person, on the internet, on TV and on the radio. and I don't even watch tv or listen to the fucking radio, just by sheer coincidence and how talked about a lot of those Netflix shows are, you hear about at least one. Or at least the fact that Netflix makes original shows. That'd be like saying you didn't hear about the brexit bullshit because you don,t follow politic. That shit just bleeds over into other parts of life and you hear at least the very minimum info about it.

Short of living in a shack in kansas like some sort of hermit.

they're for kids, kids don't care about animation quality

Wouldn't make it get done any faster, VB takes so long because of Doc and Jackson's other (mostly musical) projects and obsessive, perfectionist creative process. That they take the time and effort to succeed at making fantastic animation on a small budget doesn't help it get done any faster, sure, but you really can't rush them and expect the quality to stay as great

i think theres something off about your description

this is really well done. looks just like a story book

>OMG WHY IS THIS PROFIT DRIVEN COMPANY INVESTING IN THE SHIT THAT SELLS WELL AS OPPOSED TO THE SHIT THAT DOESN'T

why are all Sup Forums """outrage""" threads always this retarded?

In my book, Hulu wins by virtue of having CN, [AS], Comedy Central, and the Criterion Collection
But I pay for both (including ad-free Hulu) and I think they're both well worth the money considering every month it's about the price of a new Blu-ray, which I also buy occasionally.
I find I still usually have to pirate most older movies I'm interested in seeing though, streaming is still in its infancy and companies are still fighting it out for marketshare. After CBS All Access and SeeSo and all the other specialized, barren, company-specific services crash and burn I expect those networks to resign deals with Netflix or Hulu and eventually give them respectably complete libraries. Granted this will probably lead to Netflix being more expensive than it currently is but it'd have to be multiple times more pricey to be anywhere near as much as cable (and I find it already usually has more stuff I'd want to watch, barring TCM. Reality shows and CN airing TTG! 95% of the time have killed channel surfing for the non-braindead, it really sucks)

It's pretty difficult to miss when the new season of House of Cards or Orange is the New Black gets uploaded. When the new season of Bojack Horseman dropped, Sup Forums had tons of threads discussing the new season.

I don't even care, I just am a little surprised if you actually haven't seen anything about Netflix original programming

Do the Netflix animated shows not get good numbers?

>How can you have human contact and not at least hear about them

That's just how it is.

If I don't watch it then I have no reason to talk about it. If I don't watch it and I don't talk about it and I've never heard of it and I have no interest in it when is that supposed to suddenly change? The amount of people that I know won't make a difference. I'm not going to pay attention just because it's popular.

I don't know what some guy that lives down the street from me ate for lunch yesterday. I'm not him, I wasn't with him, I didn't give it to him there's no reason for me to know. A lot of people knowing what he ate won't change that.

Live action shows have a wider audience than cartoons.

Isn't TCM about to launch it's own streaming platform? I'd really enjoy being able to stream a lot of those, but not sure I would enough to pay for a separate service.
>tfw TCM was about the only network to avoid content drift
>tfw eventually they're going to start showing more modern movies

Even if people around me are taking about them I still don't watch the shows I don't watch. I'm not going suddenly start listening to every conversation that mentions a show I don't know about by a title that I didn't recognize was the title of a show because I'm nearby.

And apparently I don't follow politics very closely because I have no idea what brexit is. Though your description doesn't make it sound like it's very important anyway.

TCM already shows modern movies with their Oscar week

Is it the animtion or rendering/modelling/texturing detail level you're talking about because those are 2 different things.

For me Hulu was worse because they were charging for a service that they also gave away for free in order to be able to use it in more places but without any of the other benefits you would normally get for paying. It still had ads.

I also didn't get much out of the library. Netflix had more to offer. But this really only comes down to personal preference. If I could also find enough with Hulu to keep me paying I probably would be.

I never paid attention to any of the threads about shows I don't watch because I don't watch those shows.

Well Hulu is killing its free service so that's no longer a factor, also the free version of Hulu always had a much smaller catalog (including not offering anything but the most recent season for most shows)

I never really took advantage of the free service. I didn't know it offered less content.

Does it still have ads in it's paid service?

$7.99 a month with commercials, $11.99 with no commercials
Kids' shows and Criterion movies never have commercials no matter which plan you have, and in general the number of ads is reasonably tolerable
Still I find the extra few bucks is worth it because I use it every day

Because their animated output costs less then $100,000 a episode, Voltron:LD is only $90,000 and is the only show on there to look half assed at best.
Voltron does not look great, if anything it makes Paul J Smith look like Chuck Jones it's that bad.
No they do not, all they have is Cree Summer and she is what most of Voltron:LD's budget is spent on.
Yes they do, once you give them old Avery, Clampett and Fleischer shorts they NEVER go back to things like Teen Titans Go.
Titmouse is garbage and Ankama will like to have a word with you.

Because...
Titmouse = Filmation-tier
Ankama = Gene Deitch-tier

So soul costs about 200,000 an episode?

>Akira debacle

have mods been deleting or saging those?

that sucks if so. It's one of the things I hate most about our board divides. I personally love "comics" and "manga" equally. they are apart of the same art form (sequential art) and deserve to be discussed together

Protectionist laws concerning cartoons. I don't know. It's Canada.

Because it's a Warner Bro. Animation production, not an Adult Swim one, and they likely only made a domestic deal with [AS] and are allowed to shop around in other territories if they choose to.
And WB Animation and CN have serious beef right now because of mistreatment of their shows, to the point where their next show is going to Disney XD. It's more absurd because they're owned by the same parent company.

Then go to both boards.

That's not bad

More like $3 million at least.

I do but

>discussed together

was my main point.
I've seen threads get deleted on Sup Forums when the topic is what's your favorite comic and favorite manga and why.

It probably helps that Studio Mir is doing the animation, they're amazing.

The modelling

Welcome to 2013

Such shit taste