Doom Patrol & DC's Young Animal

Reading through Morrisson's Doom Patrol for the first time and it's great. Next thing I should pick up is his Flex Mentallo, right? What other DP related books should I read? To be honest, I'm actually getting into DP because of Gerard Way is doing the upcoming run and I'm a big fan of him.

Let's have a Doom Patrol/Young Animal thread!

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/Norton-Abrasives-Gobain-85316-Hatchet/dp/B000FK3YP8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Go my son! Go and Zap to the Extreme!

WHAT IS THE MYSTERY OF THE GYRO?!

Flex Mentallo is 1000x better than Doom Patrol.

Should one finish GM's Doom Patrol first?

There's pretty much no relation. If you read past Mentallo's introduction you're fine but even that isn't required.

I disagree.

My condolences.

It's Danny the Street. You're eating Danny.

Worst case scenario: Everything is cancelled after twelve issues

Different user, but how does DP Flex relate to miniseries Flex?
I always viewed miniflex as its own thing.

The good die young, user.

No, worst case scenario is they all become six issue minis and then there's no new titles

>No, worst case scenario is they all become six issue minis
THIS.

Yes, I'm still salty about Prez.

WHEN I WAS

A KEKOLD

Canon? It's Danny.
Symbolically, as a Velvet Underground reference on the cover? It's a vulva, I think.

I need to avoid Sup Forums now. I really don't want to see the DP newbie posts about "Morrison's run is the only one that matters, right?"
God no. Read the Drake run. Read the Pollack one too. Read any of the Doom Patrol runs. The only one that nobody defends at all is the John Byrne one.

OP didn't outright say, and only slightly implied, but you should also read Umbrella Academy. A third volume is actually coming out as well, though I haven't heard if it's still supposed to be Hotel Oblivion or a new concept.

Lastly, Grant Morrison's Doom Patrol is probably the most mediocre work in his career. Flex and the Brotherhood of Dada arcs are the only standout parts, every other concept from the run has been done far better in other comics by him.

DP Flex and Vertigo Flex are apples and oranges. They're both good and accomplish different things.

It is its own thing.

Holy shit, is that Crazy Jane next to Negative Man? Who's the black kid and the girl in the blue?

But is DP Flex even the same character?

I dunno. Flex Mentallo's pretty great, but he doesn't flex the Pentagon into a circle in it like he does in Doom Patrol.

Blue costume girl is Space Case, one of the new characters.

>Flex and the Brotherhood of Dada arcs are the only standout parts

What about the issue where the Brain steals Cliff's body?

MY MOTHERS HUSBAND!!!

That's actually the best issue of Doom Patrol,

>my wife's mother's husband

My concern is that the new Doom Patrol is just going to be aping Morrison's run instead of trying to be it's own thing.

>aping

B-but Didio said he loved the project, it's just taking a break!

I'm going to be short and say no. Their pen and green ink origin stories are mostly the same, but one is literally brought to life, and the other is just a vehicle for exploring Morrison's 'religious' concepts of comics and is only as "real" as he needs to be.

We broke Didio. Non stop bitching which even caused him to delete twitter and then DCYou failing and Rebirth doing so well pretty much meant "fuck you and your fringe titles Didio!"

Read Umbrella Academy and that Killjoys comic. Way is capable of doing his own style.

But yes, I think including Flex, Jane, AND Danny this early creates the impression that it might just be Morrison 2.0

But consider: didn't Giffen's run use Danny and Jane too?

All he wanted was for people to care about Jonah Hex, and we broke his heart.

>black kid with a skateboard
TEENAGE

I'm interested to see what they do with Jane. Speaking as someone with DID myself I really hope that it won't treat "personality reintegration" as the GOOD END for Jane, worst part of Morrison's Doom Patrol

>But consider: didn't Giffen's run use Danny and Jane too?
And Mr. Nobody. And they all sucked.

Mind/Body dualism is not a trope that I can take seriously in the slightest, and Brain and Mallah's appearance is just a glorified cameo so Morrison could kill them on panel.

Likely, people were bitching about Cliff's new body, and bitching about where Brain and Mallah went off to and "why don't you use them, Grant?"

them being gay wasn't progressive. It was meant as an insult. Not only is this villain now dead, but he was a closeted fag who wanted to fuck his gorilla too! Take that!

What? Danny the Brick and Mr. Somebody were both awesome. Counter-culture sell-out was exactly the right beat for him to take.

NEGRO

buttmad buttpirate detected

It looks like you have an axe to grind. You might want to look into buying one of these: amazon.com/Norton-Abrasives-Gobain-85316-Hatchet/dp/B000FK3YP8

No, Grant did. That's my point.

Literally kys

Well, okay.

1. Cliff's entire character is supposed to be a conversation on mind/body dualism, especially as his whole trope is becoming less and less impossible by the day, with a dash of body dysphoria tossed in. I mean...that's his entire character, right there.

2. Mallah and the Brain weren't killed, they continued to show up with their romance intact.

3. Not really sure how their affection was supposed to be an insult. I mean, if that's how you took it, that's how you took it and there's no way to convince you otherwise. The whole issue is supposed to be comedic, which is why it may seem that their love for one another is supposed to be played for a laugh.

Yeah, now Mallah and brain dying during that one evil planet story was kinda lame.

That I can definitely agree on. Boy, what a disappointment that miniseries was.

>other thread accuses us of shilling
"Fuck you" bump.

efkocijnmuyugugeuhgeiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii

What?

...didn't he do that in Doom Patrol?

He flexed so hard that he turned the Pentagon into a circle. He did it to save mankind.

I love comic books so much.

They are the same, it's just Flex is supposed to have an historial since golden age. That's why the Flex mini feels like it's own thing.

That run was actually good for me.

I just got the significance of the wrap on the cover inside the cover.

It's a gyro.

DANNY THE MEAT

Danny The Street marries Kooey Kooey Kooey Island Special fucking when?

Oh Goddammit

DiDio is the hero we need, not deserve

Bump