Immigration and Wages

I find this hard to believe. Could someone help me confirm or refute this? Would like to know one way or the other.

youtube.com/watch?v=6npEj_kySP0&list=PLrkaUaPvHGQ5hkBb3-xxd20KerNZ0O-7I&index=5

Other urls found in this thread:

migrationwatchuk.org/briefingPaper/document/235
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Shameless self bump for what I consider an important question.

Nice bait. Still it's the whole excess of labor drives down the price for it.

In today's economy, he has a point. Immigrants don't integrate and don't get real jobs.

But what do you think of his point that immigration doesn't drive down wages? I mean, if there is a surplus of labour, would wages not stagnate, not following inflation, or go down?

Why would this professor say otherwise, then? Is he right? Any facts to prove him wrong? I don't belive it, but I am not an Oxford professor, either.

>The only people immigrants compete with are each other
What about low skill/no skilled natives? They suddenly don't exist now?

Only if the immigrants enter the labour force. If they go straight on benefits, there is no (first order) effect on wages. If they open kebab stands and corner shops, they enter into competition with other kebab stand and corner shop owners, who are also immigrants.

What the guy is claiming (whether or not it's true I can't say) essentially amounts to the claim that the overwhelming majority of immigrants do not apply for traditional jobs. They are either unemployable or entrepreneurs.

I know. Makes no sense.

Interesting. I took it to mean that immigrants would simply apply for similar jobs and thus compete that way. Interesting insight, my friend.

What about jobs like construction, landscaping, or manual labor in general? It has nothing to do with their culture and is something that all societies need.

While in SoCal there are a lot of taquerias or other Mexican geared businesses from traditional clothing, markets, or butcheries, they also go out for existing jobs as well.

Yes. I would be extremely sceptical to the claim that Mexican immigration to the US or Polish to the UK does not affect wages. But it is difficult to tell from a 45 second clip given without any context whether Collier was referring to all migrants everywhere or to some specific group of migrants. For example, the """refugees""". In which case, he is completely right. The refugee crisis had no first order effect on wages because none of those people are taking any jobs.

If that is the case it is fair enough, though I'd still be against refugees.

>The refugee crisis had no first order effect on wages because none of those people are taking any jobs.
Are you this dense? That's literally the whole point of taking them in, Germany has already passed a handful of laws making it possible for them to work below minimum wage, without the necessary educational requirements etc. it won't affect more educated people but unskilled workers are fucked. And it should be the government's job to protect them, not actively work against them for short term profits (hmmm sounds familiar, it's almost like the same happened 50 years ago)

And how many of them actually took those jobs?

essentially what I'm saying with this post
is that immigration is good for the people who own these multibillion dollar corporations, but pretty shitty for everyone else.

You've got a point here. Work for less than minimum wage while getting benefits from welfare, or don't work and get welfare?

Though that is why I am against welfare, because there are too many that abuse it and that money would do better in tax payer pockets.

>What about jobs like construction, landscaping, or manual labor in general? It has nothing to do with their culture and is something that all societies need.
I thought the Muslim belief was if you consider yourself to be too good for manual labor you don't do it period. And basically 2/3rds of all muslims believed they were at a class above it or something like that.

This. In the US, California and the Southwest especially, the massive amount of illegal immigrants in the work force both drive wages down as many of them work below minimum wage as well as drive employment upwards as there is a surplus of labor for entry level jobs. The existing poor are driven out of the labor market and are forced onto welfare because of this or end up destitute. The only people who benefit are the companies that hire the illegal immigrants and the Democrats who get a boost to their voting base through welfare programs.

exactly

Well I am only giving the examples that ring true from where I am which is California. Obviously if you give people a choice to work for money or to just get money for existing they will gravitate towards getting money for just existing. Even if this doesn't drive down the wage, is this a good thing?

> Many studies find that no reliable conclusion can be reached about the impact of immigration on overall wage, although the Bank of England has recently found that the immigrant to native ratio has a small negative impact on average British wages. On wage distribution many studies have found significant effects on low earners. The MAC and the House of Lords study, together with a study commissioned by the Department of Communities and Local Government all found significant effects of immigration on low earning UK-born workers. The Bank of England looked at the impact of immigration on wages by sector and found that immigration had reduced wages semi/unskilled services sector.

migrationwatchuk.org/briefingPaper/document/235

There is plenty of evidence to demonstrate the depression on wages for the unskilled and the semi-skilled. Overall the effects are negligible because it actually helps the higher paid, but utterly fucks over the lower paid. They ignore the impact on wage distribution and hide behind the overall figures.

He is obviously a shill and probably getting greased to spew that shit or perhaps even simply deluded due to his own indoctrination. The powers that be like the real unemployment rate to be as high as possible to keep wages down and labor rights at a low standard, Globalism is a race to the bottom obviously.