But... but... but

But... but... but...

Other urls found in this thread:

twitter.com/brianmbendis/status/1964971964
youtube.com/watch?v=0Qkyt1wXNlI
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Hey, isn't that Bendis? The comic book writer?

Mr Bendis. I pirate because I want to know if I am getting good comics or shit. Rest assured though. I want pirate your comics. I have too much respect for my rig and monitor to place your shit on them.

Want=won't.

Bendis?
You mean that one guy who writes comics?

Stealing?

>acquiring a product/service without paying hurts the producer

how is this a surprise to everyone?

I wouldn't read comics ever if I didn't pirate them
I didn't buy comics before I started pirating them (1.5 years ago) so am I really hurting sales?

That one guy who writes comics.

The LCS already paid for the comics anyway, so it doesn't matter. Bendis is just asspained because DC is rolling in the dough without shitting on fans.

True, why the fuck would you even ask that. Its common knowledge.

That one guy who writes comics?
You mean Bendis?

But I literally wouldn't read singles if I couldn't pirate them. I then buy the trades for series I really like.

Not paying 5 dollars for a
Comic that is getting a new #1 or gets canceled next year

Yeah there's absolutely no way piracy, especially piracy on Sup Forums, helps sales.

I would pay good money for a Bendis/Steve Lieber panel on internet piracy at any con.

It's fake. It's not like I would buy the product if I couldn't download it so in the end it's all the same.

This is why the only ongoing comic I buy is 2000AD.

I hope you starve to death Brian.

Just goes to show people are reluctant to pay a center for Bendis's trash.

Isn't that a bit disingenuous though? One one of the main reasons it ended up selling so well is because Lieber himself showed up and chatted and said he was cool with it. Which is nice and all, but if he hadn't shown up, or showed up and started flinging shit, then sales wouldn't have budged a bit.

Geiman seems like a cool guy. He gets it. I hope his HBO series is good.

Id read a comic written byhim about the gods in their prime.

If it weren't for piracy I would have never gotten into comics. Now I've got a shelf full of trades.

Comics are too expensive to just take a shot in the dark as to whether you'll like the 20 pages of story.

Does this dude have a correct opinion on any subject?

Friendly reminder Based Didio is pro piracy.

No, it's not even slightly disingenuous. You should also look into "It's Not My Fault I'm Not Popular", which was on the verge of cancellation until it got scanlated on Sup Forums and became popular enough to get its own anime as a direct result. Anti-piracy turds are brainless little animals who should all die as soon as possible.

He is right about WW.

twitter.com/brianmbendis/status/1964971964

This

THIS.

American comics is already hard enough to get into as it is. Its very intimidating for newcomers, sampling trough piracy and getting a feel for the writers and characters that you would enjoy inevitably make you support the product as opposed to getting trough hype and getting burned

Those are pageviews, not sales.

Not that you care about the truth, of course.

No, I don't believe so. Before he showed up people had already showed interest in buying his comic in that thread.
That picture came directly from Liebers site, the filename, "undergroundsales" is the one he used. Also he posted this one. What's it like being so wrong?

This. It's the same as not buying a book before borrowing from the library to see if you like it.

You mean the illegal activity?

>two examples
>see guys? not a problem!

Sure kid

MY OPINION:
piracy only hurts sales from your actual piece of media being sold. if we look at successful brands like disney, my little pony, DC superstars (batman/superman), and marvel. we come to the conclusion that the majority of the money they make is from advertisements and merchandising. that's why it's ok that my little pony episodes are pirated hours after they're released, hasbro's gonna make that money back and more from toys and clothing.

simply put, if i wouldn't buy the image of your character on a box of cereal, there's no fucking way i'd pay money for your stories.

Remember that time when James Stokoe came and posted all of Orc Stain and then the issue that hadn't been released yet.
There's more than two, in fact three have already been posted

>3

Woah, this changes everything then.

It does, 1/3 is a pretty large increase.

Not that I doubt it but how exactly DOES that work. Is the whole "if I like it, I'll buy it" thing really true? I thought that was just facetious bullshit pirates say to make it sound like the producers could still get a sale from them?
Not enough people.
For real?

>Phil McKnight
>Latino Review
¿Por qué?

if piracy actually boosted sales companies wouldn't be against it

>>Not that I doubt it but how exactly DOES that work. Is the whole "if I like it, I'll buy it" thing really true?

You could argue its vaguely political. You like the practices of Company A or Creator X enough to support them. GoG is a prime example.

I only buy trades and pirate everything else usually to see if its good. Ty to that user who posted Toky Ghost I went out and bought that shit straight.

If it wasn't for piracy I never would've gotten so into Injustice from DC. Now I want to one day afford all of the collections. It's the reason I bothered buying the Scarecrow story arc from Batman detective comics, the Slayride issue with Joker+Robin, the one shot where the Atom goes into Joker's brain, etc.

Piracy is good.

We have other media that shows this as well. Piracy is what made Game of Thrones the most popular show in the world right now. The merchandise sales have far eclipsed anything HBO would have made form subscriptions

>twitter.com/brianmbendis/status/1964971964

No he isn't

>Is the whole "if I like it, I'll buy it" thing really true?
Yes, it really is. There are numerous studies about how piracy leads to purchases of the product and purchase more things by the author if they like them. Your favorite author, did you pick them up at random or did someone lend you a book to read and you loved it? Piracy is no different than that
youtube.com/watch?v=0Qkyt1wXNlI

Gaiman is a cool dude, he understands how things work in real life. Bendis is an asshole who tries to act holier than thou and doesn't want to lose his job at Marlel. It must really sting that Gaiman can say whatever he wants and he'll still have a guaranteed job at the Big Two (not that he needs it anyway) while Bendis could get blacklisted as soon as he said the wrong thing.

Not necessarily true, companies could just have a simplistic view on Piracy and assume it's bad for sales because the common train of thought is "they're getting it for free, then I'm not getting any money"

when radio was first released, record companies considered free music on the airwaves as piracy. that's why piratebay uses a pirate cassette as their logo.

>rig
fuck off.

Piracy is just a word used by people who are afraid of a more efficient public library system.

FUCK OFF BARNEYFAG

>It hurts everyone involved

It sure doesn't hurt me.

>and doesn't want to lose his job at Marlel

This. Why would anyone expect Bendis to come out and say "Oh piracy is totally cool."?

What an unhelpful answer!

>Is the whole "if I like it, I'll buy it" thing really true?
It's less true than the people saying it claim, and it's more true than the RIAA pretends.

You'll convert a surprising number of free downloads to sales if you offer a nice physical version. 90% of the media I do buy (which is admittedly a pittance compared to the amount I consume) I pirated first.

I pirate absolutely anything I want to read, watch, or play. If I like it enough and know it's something that needs to be supported I will buy it. That's why I bought a copy of the Book of Life DVD the day it came out, even though I already pirated the Blu-Ray for the better picture (I didn't have a Blu-Ray player at the time). It's the same reason I always go out and watch animated films in theaters from companies or crews that I respect (sans pre-school movies). I saw Hotel Transylvania 2 opening weekend because I loved the first one so much, and I usually wait until theaters have cleared out a bit so I can enjoy it more.

I usually don't pirate vidya gaems because it's a pain in the ass but the last game I did pirate I liked so much I ended up buying it

The thing is, the way these companies work is they don't want you to just buy the book or movie or whatever. If they don't see profits rising across every release of medium, be it floppies/trades/omnis or ticket/dvd/bluray/digital download, then they see it as a complete failure. So of course they view the try before you buy version of piracy as bad.
Movie theaters tried to get VHS shut down for the same reason.

>If this one guy does alright from piracy, it's okay to steal from everyone

It's more like if every sign points to it mostly helps sales then its okay to do it.

wow you actually reported me. was fluttershy that scary?

Seeing what all these self-proclaimed "progressive" comic writers had said or written in the past is jarring.

> b-but piracy let me tries before buying
> what are demos
> what are previews
> what are refunds

come on.

I buy used comics only. Is that okay Mr.Bondis?

>Not that I doubt it but how exactly DOES that work. Is the whole "if I like it, I'll buy it" thing really true?
There's more than one type of pirate, so you should consider how each general class of pirates affect content sales.

First, let's consider people who pirate content without buying anything. These pirates basically view entertainment as something they should be able to get for free, and would be unlikely to buy any given work even if you managed to stamp out all sources of bootleg material permanently.

Second, let's consider people who pirate content as a sort of review process, buying only the things they like. This can be either harmful or beneficial for a producer - if, in the absence of pirated materials, the pirate is the sort who only buys things he strongly suspects he'll like, he'll probably end up buying far fewer things than he would if he could read a wide variety of pirated materials beforehand. If he's the sort to buy anything he thinks there's a chance he'll end up liking, then he'll probably end up buying less stuff after pirating.

Thirdly, consider people who would never have even started reading comic books in the absence of piracy. Anything comic related they end up buying is a net plus attributable directly to piracy, for obvious reasons.

People who rage about piracy reducing sales tend to discount the existence of the first category. That is to say, they believe that if piracy were shut down, all (or at least a substantial portion) of the pirates who never buy anything would suddenly start buying. More likely, those types of pirates would simply find a new, still readily available form of entertainment instead.

So then why is piracy bad if they already have similar things?

you're going out of your way to obtain a full, ilegal copy of something when there are legal alternatives that let you TRY things without giving you the whole product.

demos are things that most vidya developers don't even bother with anymore

previews are always selective and only show you the best parts, e.g. they didn't even hint at the whole batgirl-fucking subplot in the Killing Joke previews

refunds are simply unattainable for most things be they vidya or comics or movies, if you consume the whole thing and aren't satisfied you're usually SOL

Where do old comics that haven't been collected into trade format fall in the whole piracy equation?

If piracy is so bad, then why are storytimes so great?
Checkmate.

Since i will never, ever buy a comic my piracy has zero effect on him.

That cosmic Bendis storytime is sure hurting me

>if you consume the whole thing and aren't satisfied you're usually SOL

if you need to consume the WHOLE media before deciding it's shit, you got your money's worth regardless.

The best I can come up with is that it might hurt somewhat if LCSes can't sell old back issues since then they won't communicate to the publishers to put out a trade due to demand, but obviously it doesn't directly hurt anyone.

It's illegality is irrelevant if it lets me accomplish the same thing. In fact it allows me to accomplish those things better, sometimes a preview gives a false impression and refunds are a hassle.

Clearly the only ethical thing to do is to shell out $20 an issue trying to read old comics on ebay.

If you don't like the way the social contract works, you might just go live in the woods.

Don't they have a bunch of those on Marvel's online app thing for like a buck a pop?

But piracy keeps me from getting tricked into buying Bendis comics.

>criminals telling law-abiding people to die because they don't approve their criminal behavior

If you don't like the way the industry has changed, you can just quit.

>the Jew hates people getting things for free
surprise, surprise

I don't abide any contract I never signed.

Social contract isn't what's written on the page it's what people accept.

You don't actually own those comics, you know.

You signed it when you decided to live in your country, if you don't like it pack your things and leave.

Unless you live in a dictatorship, what most people accept IS what's written on the page. That's the whole concept of legitimacy.

Good luck getting murdered, I guess.

>if you don't like it pack your things and leave.
Or change it by using civil unrest, such as breaking minor laws.

I don't think I buy this alleged social contract.
What exactly are its terms?

mass effect 1 and 2 were pretty good. if i had known about mass effect 3's ending before i bought it and opened the packaging then i wouldn't have bought it in the first place.

Is comic piracy even that big of a thing? The only people I even know who read comics buy them. It's not like manga where literally everyone I know who reads manga pirates it.

Anyone else care to bring some anecdotal info on this subject?

> breaking minor laws is civil unrest
> chances are the government doesn't even know you're doing it

???

You follow the law, the government makes sure no one steals all your posessions while you sleep.

Yeah, the illegal thing.

I don't know where you live but there are tons of minor laws that pretty much everyone ignores down to, sometimes, even the police not enforcing them.

I mean. Does everyone drive exactly according to regulation? Only a handful of criminals pirate? No one cheats on their taxes? People are vilified for these things? No, not really.

If you tell people, "I read bootleg comics." Most people are either not going to care or be some form of positive, unless they have a stick up their ass or live in a community that frowns on people without sticks up their ass.

>the government makes sure no one steals all your posessions while you sleep.

Well, they fail with that daily.

Most people who pirate single issues go out and buy the trades of stuff they like, and many have pull lists of stuff they like. Without piracy they wouldn't be making as many sales in the long run.

>the government makes sure no one steals all your posessions while you sleep
Can you name one country where the government actually takes on this obligation? Last I checked, no government in the world provides home security for every citizen in the nation.