Sup Forums Philosophy Thread

A thread to discuss philosophy
Start by stating your posistions
Metaphysics: Platonic forms merged with Aristotelian concepts of first mover
Epistemology: What is known is what is observed, your personal identity measures observed truth
Ethics: Any form of morality relies on life existing so actions are moral and ethical if it preserves the greatest amount of life in its highest form

I suppose a brief statement on outlook you have overall is most helpful.
So I am a Platonist

Good thread.

Epistemologically I agree with the idea that all propositions will be based on one or more unprovable axioms, and thus every philosophical position may be reasoned correctly from its axioms but we have no way of determining which set of axioms is true, that is- corresponding to reality.

Eg: There is a God and there is no God are both unprovable assertions, yet form the basis for hundreds of different worldviews, like following a recipe.

Not sure what that makes me

bump

metaphysics: imagination is the gateway to possibility

epistemology: to gain knowledge one must overcome authority, your own biases and animal instincts to arrive at truth. be weary of using statistics to support a generalization

ethics:do what thou wilt.

Your problem is your lack of firm metaphysics. For myself I my metaphysics is platonic form based and so reality is shaped by them. The axioms formed there give me the lense to understand reality.
Your problem can either be solved by accepting the axioms you set create a personal approach to reality that we all have, or make the foundation of reality require a primary axiom that can be expanded upon for what you consider knowledge

Basically you must determine your relationship to the truth

I like it. A potential ubermensch here.
Epis and meta face potential contradiction

what's "highest form"?
sounds like bullshit

Metaphysics: materialism
Epistemology: our observation and our way of knowing about the world heavily depend on our biological nature and the brain structures so our knowledge is not absolute but specified
Ethics: nietzscheanism

And your problem is that you trust in the forms being a proper basis of reality, while I honestly believe they are, at best, maya like all other phenomina, and more likely a result of Plato's hyperactive poetic imagination.

>Ethics: nietzscheanism

Which implies what to you exactly?

Its a measuring tool that makes my morality not purely based purely on a utilitarian calculus.

Well I'd be willing to give argument for the forms if you want

Meta. Accept your suffering, apotheosise when you climb out of plato's cave.

Epistemology. Restore context to your life. Work out previous repressions and misunderstandings, Grow closer to God through hyperdimensional resonance bieng recognised by the concious mind....the quintessence of life is life itself.

Ethics. Be a righteuos mother fucker.

Disgusting

Let's hear it.

Metaphysics: we are the universe reflecting itself

Epistemology: pluralism

Ethics: arises as an epibiotic phenomenon, the best moral guide is the one that supports life

Metaphysics: Doesn't exist
Epistemology: Logical positivism
Ethics: Utilitarian

I wish I could legitimately participate in philosophy threads. The best I can do is ask questions so I can learn a little and bump the thread.

What kind of books does Sup Forums recommend to get a solid foundation of philosophy?

How do I know which branches of philosophy to explore further and which branches are a waste of time? From this thread alone, and other threads on Sup Forums, it seems that no one can agree on what constitutes the best way of life or way of thinking. I'm afraid that I would stumble on a philosophical idea that seems reasonable on the surface but is actually illogical.

BUMP

bump