Visually creative, thoughtful, non-pandering children's movie comes out in wide-release

>Visually creative, thoughtful, non-pandering children's movie comes out in wide-release
>no one watches it and it's a commercial failure

Guy's, does Kubo being a box office bomb mean the end of Laika and more importantly a signal to film makers that taking risks or telling stories that are too "harsh" will mean no one is going to watch your movie?

Other urls found in this thread:

boxofficemojo.com/weekend/chart/
boxofficemojo.com/daily/chart/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>Does Kubo being a box office bomb mean the end of Laika
Not with them Nike bucks flowing

>a signal to film makers that taking risks or telling stories that are too "harsh" will mean no one is going to watch your movie?
like 99% of film makers are already against taking risks so this will have basically no impact at all

Artistic animation films like this will always be a work of love. Forget about they ever being popular and financially succesful.

The only way they could ever make millions is if they pandered to the masses, but then you'd no longer like it, now would you?

Maybe it would have done better if the story wasn't so cliche.

Should have hired an all-Asian voice acting cast instead of wheeling in Matthew McConaughey and the most forgettable Stark from Game of Thrones. The amount of free publicity they would have gotten from Buzzfeed and tumblr spewing out praise for their "progressive diversity" might have been enough to break even.

>Implying tumblr actually watches movies and doesn't just praise screenshots and trivia

It's unfortunate, but unless the movie is advertised a fuck ton and panders to a wide audience, it's not going to get much attention. Producers don't care about quality nowadays, only how much shit they can spoonfeed the public to make a quick buck.

I really, really wanted Kubo to gain more than just cult status, but I don't think that's going to happen.

Laika's doing god's work in keeping stop-motion alive and well desu. I can't forsee them going out of business anytime soon

>guy's

I honestly haven't heard anyone say they were aware of this movie's existence until the weekend it came out, so really any publicity would have been good for it.

>Implying McConaughey and Parkinson didn't do a great job and the oriental voice acting pool is big or skilled enough to pull off a similar performance or has the same box office pull.

Aren't animated movie generally slow profits?
Like they don't break a profit the first weekend but they do turn one after their run on theatres is done.

This.
A lot of Asian movie goers hated it because it was "made by white people for white people," and the use of George Takei was minimal at most and only really there to shove his name in for publicity.

Of course, Asians have that problem with almost any "exotic" themed film.

>Laika's doing god's work in keeping stop-motion alive and well desu. I can't forsee them going out of business anytime soon
I feel like if Laika announced they were closing up shop, some tech billionaire would "lolnope", buy them up, and fund them to continue doing what they're doing.

I have to say that might've been my biggest complaint.

I mean kudos for Kubo for not talking down to kids, and having some storytelling heft, but damn it was the most Campbellian thing i've seen in a good long while.

Its a little shuffled around in the beginning but the steps are still there.

Crossing the first threshold is his first time out at night.

Supernatural aid, his mother then monkey.

Literally spend a night in the belly of the whale, and then start on their road of trials.

He meets his mother, meets his father

They die.

Gets the last boon.

Returns home

And goes through apotheosis by making the Godly Moon King mortal.

Not sure why I'm bothering with spoilers honestly.

Saw it with friends the other night. We all agreed it was gorgeous with good voicework, but the pacing was horribly off.

Kubo's made $41m user. It's unlikely to make any profits in theaters. The movie MIGHT do its production budget in ticket sales.
Laika will probably turn a profit in DVD sales (especially if Kubo get's an Oscar nomination/win) but in theaters it is a no go.

I think the story being so simple and Campbellian was the entire point. It was supposed to be a monomyth as a sort of framework for the personal, transformative journey of Kubo as well as a commentary on how stories in general transcend all cultures, timeperiods, etc. One of the main themes of the movie was about the power of storytelling after all.

Support Laika - Buy Nikes.

>A lot of Asian movie goers hated it because it was "made by white people for white people,"
What the fuck? They did major research for the setting and mythology, hired a Japanese guy as a consultant, got legit fabric from Japan for a ton of the costumes.

Is it just those "asian move goers" who are the 2nd generation women who have nothing better to do than complain about racism against asians, even though asians (east asians anyway) tend to do even better than whites in america?

>those blur frames as Monkey swings down the sword.

glorious.

Yeah, I'd like a source on this as well, since the point seems so petty. You don't see people making a big fuss about anime dubs because the voice actors may not be asian or asian-american.

If Laika ever runs out of money then something is desperately wrong with the global economy.

It's not out till the 9th here in britbong, hold your horses

That's pretty much what Laika is now, but replace "tech" with "shoes"

I wish Kubo was my girlfriend

>the end of Laika
This gets asked every time a Laika movie gets released.
LAIKA DOES NOT NEED MONEY! Laika is the pet project of the heir to the Nike fortune.

the movie just isnt that good.

Movie was fucking boring, all there is to it.

Remember, when a movie isn't number 1, it bombed.

It just underperformed, and it doesn't matter because Laika is the highlander of animation studios.

If Nike Jr ever realizes that he's sinking all his time and money into a lemon animation genre, that's when Laika will die.

laika has super sub par writers, their best written movie has been Coraline and they didnt even write it lmao

Eh, when it's all said and done, Laika will probably lose under $20 million on Kubo. That's spare change for the Knights

But what of the emotional/motivational toll?

Probably none since it's a fucking critical sweep.

>rich people finance something that never going to turn profit
Holy shit god is real? I thought the only reason why they don't do this is how you become rich in the first place. This is actually my dream, to make shit tons of money and throw it on something that makes people happy, not just rob them. Can someone do this with games? Because videogame industry is fucked beyond belief. Last time i saw devs not trying to appeal target audience 6 years ago.

>rich people finance something that never going to turn profit
If I recall correctly, Laika always manages to turn a profit in the end. They at least make back their operating costs.

The real problem usually is that rich people, or corporations and groups of investors in general which tend to have the actual money, don't just want make a profit: they want to make the largest possible profit. If one was so minded, why spend money on Laika to make back just a little over what you spent, when you could spend a bit more and make back several times what you spent? At least that's the idea. So they go chasing "sure things" and whatever passing fad has hit it big, all in the hope that it should be relatively simple to make oodles of cash.

>Can someone do this with games?
For the most part Fromsoft is really good about this, DaS2 was an obvious cash grab and DaS3 was pretty blatant about just trying to get nostalgia bucks, but they took quite a risk with Bloodborne and it turned out to be a fantastic game.

great movie, fuck the mainstream for not throwing all their money at Laika.

>Bloodborne

I ain't a bad man, but sometimes I gotta do what a bad man would.

I wonder what the longtail success for these movies is with blu ray and streaming.

Nah m8, you did the right thing, fuck baby Mergo and his constant annoying crying bullshit.

Besides, Kos is best great one

Is it not getting a European release? Or China and Japan release? Because so far, it's hardly been out anywhere on significant foreign markets.

I like how they just completely removed spoonfeeding from videogames and proved everyone that you still can make money without consulting with marketing department every second, but all those big bad corporations just said "nope we are going to keep doing stupid shit no matter what fuck you" and nothing changes.

Nigga, it's how the renaissance happened. Rich people had disposable income to waste on people who made pretty things, or prototypes that looked cool but might not have any real engineering or scientific value for hundreds of years.

This always happens. Artful projects tend to get low revenue and are not made as much. Meanwhile, formulaic Assembly Line garbage gets shat out on a constant basis every year. It's just the nature of a medium normies don't like.

It's also the nature of a medium on death's door, with the oncoming surge of edgy Sethcom knockoffs, but that's all speculation.

Fuck you, Captcha, that's not juice.

And lo, upon this day of new day of Tyr, user learns a fouling truth of mighty animation for yon coin of the masses. BEHOLD, ye shall not make moving pictures of children's ilk lest they be accountable to thine fool most lowly or laking in true heart lest ye suffer that heart breaking. Only in rubbish or yon mouse does ye make coin.

>It's also the nature of a medium on death's door, with the oncoming surge of edgy Sethcom knockoffs, but that's all speculation.
You mean "literally always the nature of any medium made for public consumption." Things have always been vastly shitty for any medium trying to garner public attention.

>Asian moviegoers.

You mean Chinese-Americans, user. Chinese-Americans are the only ones who ever bitch about the cultural appropriation of the Japanese.

They do the plot of finding the magic items to fight the monster so they can subvert it at the end.

>"literally always the nature of any medium made for public consumption"
>literally every other medium can tell whatever story it wants
>animation can't

You're funny.

This and No Man's Sky, I've been super hyped only to be incredibly disappointed

It was a very beautiful totally average movie.

>kos
>not kosm

Theres no way it wont lose to something disney
Not that i think anything Disney this year was better, but if you didn't know the academy has a Disney bias

Didn't work for me, tbqh. Everything sort of felt like an alien trying to interpret the monomyth and play it straight, rather than the movie actually trying to do something interesting with it.
All the steps were incredibly on the nose, but they just felt hollow and arbitrary. They're just in a whale because Campbell says be in a whale, etc.

As far as Laika goes, Kubo just didn't really offer anything that hasn't been done far better in previous movies. It lacked both the relatable core of their previous films, and the pants-shittingly well animated boss fights of their previous films. I mean, in a vacuum the animation is still impressive, but compared to the others?

Did anything noteworthy happen during the production of this? It's just so bland compared to what they usually do.

Still packed the theater where I live when I saw it on Saturday for a second time.

They made the largest stop motion puppet ever

The reason we (America) use so much Japanese shit is because we distroyed them in WWII and made them our ally. If we had distroyed and then rebuilt China we'd use alot more of their stuff. Hell most of the real allies the US has we beat in a war.

Then why dont we use more Vietnamese stuff?
No, its just simple cultural exchange
Japan made a lot of media romanticizibg their culture and artists get inspired by that
China made stuff like that to (well Hong Kong did) but not as much Japan
The opposite is true too, Japan gets influence by western media a lot too

Wait. So that's literally how Kubo was made? Holy shit, I don't have the patience.

>that feel when have to wait till october for premiere around here
Bluray rips will probably surface by this time. Still gonna try and watch it in theater too

Also, serious question, guys, what's the focus in this movie - comedy (like in Boxtrolls) or drama (like Paranorman)?

Action and Drama.

Not a lot of comedy.

>pandering
That word has lost it's meaning by now. Only things that target a micro demographic will sell now, Mass appeal and the lowest common denominator marketing are losing out to organic online content that only try to please a narrow audience.

I have a new favourite webm,

I know, right? I'm so sick of hearing the same shit about sword fighting apes and Godly Moon Kings FFS.

Thanks! Looking forward to it then. I really wish there were cartoons like this

The Moon King doing all this because of his twisted ideas of family made the whole of his character really interesting

Not a LOT of comedy, but it did get quite a few laughs, especially Beetle and Monkey's scenes together, and Brenda Vaccaro's little old lady character.

It's been doing better? I guess
boxofficemojo.com/weekend/chart/
boxofficemojo.com/daily/chart/

>kids movie kills off mc's parents at the end
>does nothing to bring them back like most movies

This is really just me, but this is pretty ballsy for a kids movie. But can you really call ANY Laika movie a kid's movie? Probably not.

Umm you think America won in Vietnam? I have some bad news for you...

Can't blame him at all, similar to Nox in Wakfu.

I think Laika movies for the most part, especially Kubo, are movies that you can show to your kids, not really movies "Made for kids."

It's more of a marketing issue than anything about the movie itself as far as I know.

I've seen a few ads for it here and there, but literally nobody I know had any idea what kind of movie it was or what it's about.

I didn't watch it because Kubo's design makes me very very very uncomfortable.

The goddess you worshipped was dead all along. You wasted your life trying to talk to a corpse.

Japan actually marketted their culture to north america. It isnt cultural appropriation when they are marketing it to our tastes

racism against asians and them doing well in comparison to other minorities aren't related.
They got there by working harder than other races, not because they weren't discriminated against.

Oh can it, squinty

>user believes another user on the internet

I felt like it got too "hollywood" the farther along it got
It also made me want to have sexual relations with a monkey so I have mixed feelings

>Guy's, does Kubo being a box office bomb mean the end of Laika

Yes. That's why it failed and Secret Life of Pets was a hit. Because of cliche plots and writing.

>hey you know you could just use cgi and render it out to mimic the stop motion look and feel instead of going through all this
>lol nah man

like this alone is enough for me to really want to see this movie. to see the product of all this effort and care put into making it to achieve a unique visual style of animation.

It does show a love of the medium that few studios have anymore.

That is how we got AIDS.

Appealing to Tumblr and Buzzfeed doesn't work, and won't keep your movie from flopping. They were better off with well-known actors, but even then the movie's a hard sell because it's stop-motion. McConaughey wasn't the only well-known actor either. Almost everyone except Kubo was voiced by someone who's been nominated for an Oscar at least once.

CGI is much more appealing to general audiences now because it's the norm.

>the end of Laika

>Kubo being a box office bomb mean the end of Laika

Lol no. The founder of Laika is LITERALLY the co-founder of Nike Inc with a personal revenue of 25+ Billion dollars. The 30 or so million he lost in Kubo, is literally pocket change for him...toilet paper even.

I'm more upset however, that Sausage Party made more than Kubo, like...what the fuck?

Is that how Coraline got those awesome promotional shoes?

Just remember that while Kubo may not have made as much as it should have, it didn't flop as bad as Ghostbusters. I lost a bit of faith in humanity when it started getting mostly positive reviews but my faith was restored when it turned out it was just the usual critic cocksucking and no one actually went out to see the movie.

Boxtrolls was definitely a kid's movie, especially since it was based on a storybook.

I'm hoping it slowly creeps up to make a profit, I know I'm going to see it again.

They used some cgi during the ocean scenes but the amount of effort into the stop motion is insane.

Who cried? I did multiple times. Like a little bitch.
why did beetle have to get fucking stabbed right away FUCK

It's been under a month. How long are most movies in theaters? Like three months? They'll break even at least.

What toll? Dude had a blast making it. He got people who saw it to love it too.

I suspect some tech billionare will do this in the near future. I'm hype.

I love Vietnamese shit. If someone made an animated film based on one of their fairy tales I'd be in line for it.

>Not using question marks in your spoilers