Paranatural

>The Disappearance of the Doctor's Burger is my favorite sherlock holmes story

HOLY SHIT FINALLY ACTUAL PLOT DEVELOPMENT

Other urls found in this thread:

paranatural.net/comic/chapter-5-page-136
anyforums.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>including Forge in the compilation of Mayview's spirits even though he literally came in yesterday
>not Eightfold, Scrapdragon, Muse, or King Cloud

Wait scratch that, I saw some of them

Disregard that last part

Huh, Monsters are corrupted humans?

Wonder what "corrupted" means in this context, because it must be different than a medium taking on a monstrous appearance.

>Disappearance of the Doctors Burger
Aaaaaaaaaaaaa

[Z/H]ACK
A
C
K

>because it must be different than a medium taking on a monstrous appearance.
I am too detached from the lore at this stage but does it?
How many mediums are there outside of the town? I recall some distinct anti-medium stigma.

Confirmation to one of those other anons that Zarei's eyes really are orange.

Perhaps corrupted humans are mediums who have been taken over by their spirit. Like the associated physical transformations, but mentally and perhaps more extremely.

Corrupted humans might be humans who are possessed in the traditional sense, not the comic definition.

Anyone who can see spirits can also see spectral energy flare up right? That must make it really hard to hide when you're upset.

Yeah, you just have kind of a sixth sense for that sorta thing.

do you guys think the cousinhood will have enough in common aesthetically speaking for bloodborn jokes and references to make sense.

I wanna believe that this has something to do with Isaac, considering his age I don't see any significance in having his age stated like that, he might as well been 12...but Isaac said in Ch3-P5 that his spectrality began 2 years ago.

I'm also kinda conflicted on this update. For one, I think: "FINALLY SOME GODDAMN PLOT DEVELOPMENT"...but on the other hand: "Aren't we suppose to establish the characters and their dynamics first then the mythology?" I thought we're talking about just the Activity Club and their shenaningans here?

Also, is that the floating teddy thing from Cardcaptor Sakura on panel 2?

What purpose does she gain from telling Zarei all this? Or is she just that naive and trusting of her allies?

>Aren't we suppose to establish the characters and their dynamics first then the mythology?
They sort of already have. We've got Spender and Zarei being all grimdark about what's going on, along with a solid handle on how the Activity Club's dynamics break down between each of them. We've gotten some background on both this chapter as they try to do their best with their teams, Spender with the kids and Zarei with all her spirits. And both have gotten a good earful about being so shifty about what is, ultimately, their good intentions.

This goes into what this user is asking about: Agent Day is the disrupting factor here, obviously "hopelessly naive," as Spender put it. But she's not an idiot and has also somewhat obviously, a pretty good idea about the surface level of what's going on. More than either of them, has no actual reason to distrust Spender and Zarei, who both seem to think no one else in the world could possibly be trustworthy enough to ally with. What are they going to do, kill her to keep the secret? Neither of them are that far gone, and this is probably why Day was the one sent along. She's here to be the perky and well intentioned force that reminds them to stop acting like they're in a different genre and start accepting help. That's the point that's been pretty heavy handedily smacked across both Spender and Zarei's faces this chapter.

Zack might have a dumb fucking mouth when it comes to social media and a terrible, awful sense of pacing, but his story and the character dynamics behind it so far has been set up fairly well.

30 hours in MSPaint

You guys think it would've looked better this way?

What's changed?

No border for panel 5

>but his story and the character dynamics behind it so far has been set up fairly well.

ehhh, mostly. i still think it strains credibility that Isaac still hasn't managed to put 2 and 2 together on WHY he's the only one being kept in the dark on club secrets, and also that nobody else in the club has noticed how badly hes' handling that.

I don't disagree that it's a bit dumb. The main problem with writing child characters: they tend to be both too smart and too dumb in equal measure. These guys are supposed to be 12, 13 for Isaac.

Part of the reasoning I could see about them not cottoning on to Isaac's angst is that, as Isabel said, they tend to think he's just taking things too seriously. It hasn't quite dawned on them that this is a really serious issue to Isaac. Isaac, in admittedly pretty childish naivete, wants to be the classic anime hero. And being kept in the dark about all the working of the world grates on him, as does his thinking that people hate him for whatever unspecified thing happened in the past.

huh, I didn't think it was bad at first, but now that I see it without the border is is obviously much better.

I bet Starchman is one of the Burger Doctors and he's responsible for the other one's total disappearance.

I still want to spoon the blind chick.

>Isaac, in admittedly pretty childish naivete, wants to be the classic anime hero
I wanna see the extant of that, to be honest with you anons. Many times I said: ganders at his life beyond his club, with his family and classmates, would make a better understanding of him. There's more to it than just "oh, he's older than everyone else" and "he's picking up whatever's cool with kids his age and it rubbed onto him".

Again, I don't buy this age difference bull at all. There's nothing from it that makes Isaac stand out...it's all just set-up for a lame one-page "OMG you're one of those gross mythical Teenagers I read about in books" joke. (No shit, Max, you're in middle school!) Isaac would've been just as old as Max in the drafts and no one would ever notice.

It's a recap episode in the middle of the chapter, because Zack is a fucking hack.

>"Burger has Bun → Bread. Bread has...carbs. Mr Carbs...Mr Starch? Not quite enough...Starchman! It's Mr Starchman from now on!"
And then Mr Burger dyes his hair.

>13 years ago
and it's said Spender was 11, right?
So now we finally know how old he is, right?

Yeah, no border looks way better.

you do know you could've just deleted your comment, right?

We have no idea how many there are outside the town, that's like asking how many people with cancer there are outside of New York

But we do know of the man-lizard, and apparently Boss Leader

I was comparing the two images, and got upset, and about to say "absolutely not, you're terrible for even suggesting that"
then i noticed you removed it, but i thought you had added it. sorry

>All spirits we've seen before rather than an imaginative collection of new ones.
Disappointing.

i am CONCERNED for him

>Isaac still hasn't managed to put 2 and 2 together on WHY he's the only one being kept in the dark
Why is he the only one being kept in the dark?

Yes, that's Kero. He was more like a weird tiny Liondog with wings.

oh my god can Agent Day get even cuddlier

>you do know you could've just deleted your comment, right?
What do you expect from /tumblr/? They never lurk.

Yeah, Sup Forums is often called Sup Forumsmblr yet that does not mean they should behave like them.

It's standard procedure to not let possessed people know anything about the organization, because their spirit is always capable of listening in and they might not be so nice I think Spender himself is only possessed by the evil spirit, and has Lucifer to fend it off (and he's in the Sunglasses, I think?). This does make his actions somewhat hypocritical, and Zarei's comments on the subject seem to indicate she doesn't think much of the practice of keeping such people in the dark.

What? You couldn't find anything else to complain about, even if it makes total sense for these spirits to appear in this page instead of random spirits we've never seen?
I appreciate this callback.

Now.. the borders actually bothers me.

Pl... Plot?

It means WERECARS

We've known that since we first saw her.

So that's why Ed lives with Isabel and her grandfather. I wonder how old he was when his parents vanished.

Definitely something else. Really extreme mediums aren't uncommon. We saw a lot of them in the Consortium dream place. Every medium eventually gains traits of the spirit and the longer they've been together the more traits they'll gain so any medium with a few years on them will look a little monstrous. There should be too many of them for the Consortium to pretend don't exist. Spender even emphatically said there were no monsters in Mayview. No the Cousinhood is probably looking for something else. It might have to do with medium possession though.

I assume if you're really good with it you can control it but it seems the grand majority can't. Maybe it's just something for the reader and spectrals don't really notice it.

You just want another wheel wielder. I do to.

She has no right being that cute.

Three years ago.

This is a better page. That was a good one though.

That's a rare gem you've got there, user. Have one from my keeps in return.

There's some sort of crocodile-like creature, to right of the whale-frog, top of the sphinx...I definitely don't recall ever seeing THAT in the past few chapters.

I miss Isabel having darker colors.
I miss that Zack allowed himself to say stuff like ballsacks.
I miss the background jokes.

Oh shit who's wearing the Insolet Childen shirt?

Not really. That picture is posted all the time. Only with the thread in the same pic. I have it because I drew it. I have many rare gems.

I just love it when zack makes a new collection of interesting spirits, I liked the page otherwise but it seems a while since the spirit world has given us anything exciting.

I was just re-reading this today. Almost forgot how much i like this comic.

>fat, stupid, blind black woman
>cutest character in the comic

Why is this allowed?

A first time for me, I guess. Last time this was posted was in 2014, I probably wasn't present there.

>I have it because I drew it.
>I drew it

>mfw
I-is this who I think this is? (at least, judging from the art style...)

Its been a while since I've given a shit, but lets see if I've got the basic shape of things correct.

Spirits that get fucked up hide in either people, or items, making Spectral and Tools. They can also, presumably, voluntarilly posess things, and hide out this way, ala the Black spirit that's hiding out in Max, or the presumably related black spirit chest hole thing that seems like Lucifer's mission to contain.

Isabel and her adoptive brother, the Burger boy, are fairly well in the know, largely because they were raised in a spectral dojo by a hardass. Max is the fish out of water perspective character, but he's obviously got a tie in on whatever this bullshit is thats deep under Mayview. And Isaac is considered a loose cannon because he's ANIME ANGST / BLIND JUSTICE incarnate so they just keep him in the dark on general principles.

There's some kind of demon things going on, and seperately there's whatever Forge's weird idealism is, and he's currently hiding out in red haired bully boy.

Then we've got the sleepers in footsuits, working for an insane string puller whose in it for lulz? but they think their super serious MIBs dealing with all this through pointedly non Spectral means.

Is that about the shape of it? I feel like I'm missing a lot.

>is this who I think this is?
Probably not? I only drew a few pictures for Paranatural threads. I only drew that first pic. Not this one That's Onnos who drew that.

Untrue. Isaac's specific spirit is the reason he's kept in the dark, not all mediums in general.

If they hide in people they make mediums which is a type of spectral. We don't know what the deal is with Max's other spirit. Spender's dark spirit is probably more a regular possession.

Isabel and Ed's parents (or at least Isabel's grandpa) are spectrals and didn't try to hide it from their kids. Probably because being around their spectral shit all the time made them spectrals when they were young. They keep Isaac in the dark because his spirit is apparently bad news and caused a maelstrom or something 13 years ago.

There are no demon things? They're just spirits. We've only seen spirits so far.

Yeah you basically got it.

To be honest, I thought I was seeing once Sup Forumsmrade xuubou...

True or not though, that doesn't matter...It's kind of a honour seeing the hands behind the arts around these threads.

The skull-speaking dogs - They werent some particularly nasty sort of thing beyond the scope of normal spirit-hood?

Okay, Mediums are what we're generally seeing in the cast members, Spectral just refers to people who do spirit stuff in general?

Wild theory - The color being Black seemed to be a big deal. Spender's dark spirit is likely the issue in question, and it reached out and spoke through Max because he's a compatible conduit?

Where did we learn Isaac's thunder spirit was a bad guy? Happen to have the link?

Oh. No I'm not him.

Nah they were just spirits though a bit different due to their power letting them respawn after death. Maybe they were a slightly different thing.

Spectral refers to people who can see ghosts and spirits and interact with them so yeah.

Spender's a yellow spectral so both his spirits would have to be yellow from what we know. Black is apparently pretty common so there's nothing special about it. And Spender's spirit can't have talked through Max because Max was always nowhere near him when it came up.

We don't explicitly learn it but that's the reason they don't tell him stuff. Spender told him that he can't tell him anything for the duration of his possession (when he was talking to Isaac and he blacked out his own speech.) and BL said the same thing pretty much. And we have hints around places about the Mayview Maelstrom, which is definitely the thing that happened 13 years ago. There was a poster for the Maelstrom on the last page.

The dogs were also notable because they heloed out some sort of cult, as well as knew cursed words.

are we posting rare pictures now?

>you will never have a 10/10 girl blackmail you into marriage

She is kind of a yandere, so you would be in danger..

>black is common
I always had the personal assumption that because black was the absence of color that black spectral's might have an easier time handling spirits of different colors, but that's a personal theory that probably isn't the case.

>you would be in danger

Pretty sure I would be in Suzy, and I'm not into black guys anyway.

you laugh now. But when she modify your bathroom to become a prison to throw you there for looking at another girl, you won't be.

Why the heck not.

No fucking way he got all the way to chapter 4 in two years.
Check the archives...

Holy fuck, I know chapter 4 was as long as the first the chapters combined but just wow.

>Max's other spirit
Mind expanding on that? I thought it was all the wormagnet

>implying that's not my fetish

post yfw the only 'teacher holding a dangerous secret' is spender

the secret is that he likes isabel

I guess it would be something like this.

Someone completely overtaken by a spirit. If mediums start to display weird characteristics like Zack's hair or Zarei's eyes, imagine what a malicious spirit would do to someone with full forceful takeover.

The worm can't talk

Nothing more than fan theory, I imagine we won't find out for another 5 years anyway.

It's safe to say it's due to her spirit.

What really strains credibility is why Isaac hasn't been told why he's been kept in the dark. It's a pretty understandable reason that would comfort Isaac by knowing it's not him that's the problem.

The only possible reason is that they fear that Isaac's spirit will dispose of his host if he learns that he's not going to discover much while possessing him.

But Isaac already fucking knows he's been kept in the dark about shit so that danger is in full force.

By the way has it been ruled out that Hijack didn't take over Spender? Why the hell has this not dawned on anyone in the club?

paranatural.net/comic/chapter-5-page-136

Check the alt text.

no it hasnt, but he has been acting normally and talking and stuff. but this is his REAL secret, i found it while data mining, what do you think

Disturbing... We must go deeper...

At least.

Nah, he's into little girls I'm afraid.

out.

THIS is the TRUE otp you fool

wait, you did this comic in ms paint ?

>Day only has 4 fingers in panels 3 and 5
fucking hell

I think you're being a little overblown, it's clearly just stylization-

Yeah, no. Panel 3 might pass, it's sort of small enough to be forgiven there, but Panel 5 is just too clearly "Zack forgot a finger." Sheesh.

It's actually evidence that she is a spirit!

Remember when zack hid clues in panels and he didn't make obvious mistakes like this.

>Every medium eventually gains traits of the spirit and the longer they've been together the more traits they'll gain
I wonder if those traits will kinda stick even if the spirit expels themselves away from the medium. (E.g: Danny Fenton having a bit of white in his hair after de-ghostifying himself in the last episode.)

I hope so.

>They can also, presumably, voluntarilly posess things,

If they commit suicide you mean.

Are you forgetting Max's invisible backpack in chapter 1?

That's impossible. Patchworm is in the glasses.

If there were a second spirit that possesses Zarei, it would have appeared in the same mindscape as Patchworm did.

Note how much Zarei sweats at the mention of 'corrupted humans'. That's no medium.

The alligator with puppet strings, the thing with far too many red and blue eyes, the face on an instinct blob, and that mysterious looking guy in the tophat kept low over his concealed face.

I suspect Zack snuck in foreshadowing here, like that last one might be the second spirit possessing Max.