Linux

What Sup Forums think about it?

Worth a try

Sweden yes

I like it, ubuntu is a pretty nice OS desu.

What?

shit, there are no games one could play under that lousy os

IT'S GNU/LINUX REEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Fuck Sup Forums, fuck that hairy bum that Sup Forums worships (stallman I think?), and fuck operating systems that have shit software available on it.

>inb4 Open office is better than Word
>inb4 Gimp puts Photoshop to shame

I wish I knew why he was flipping out.

Anyway, Linux is the best OS for anyone who isn't a gamer pleb.

Arch lunix masterrace
plebs pls go

I use linux, as it is a capable, superior operating system, for capable, superior individuals, such as myself.

>shit, there are no games one could play under that lousy os
Today there are actually plenty of games: Valve has ported their every single game to Linux, there are games like Amnesia, SOMA, Witcher 2, Tomb Raider etc. Not all games ofc, but thats a huge progress if you compare it to what we had before year 2010

roach genocide when?

How bout them lolicon under age girl wallpapers ey faggots?

Not for gaming, but still better than Windows.

So your point is that you should settle for less because you don't want people to think you wear hats?

they are ebin

I prefer the BSDs.

Linux is communism.

>ubuntu

Great for servers, absolutely rubbish for home desktop use. So so in embeded device use.

Freedom is great. Never go full freetard . Makes the world a better place. Just be a little reasonable about it.

WHY THE AMERICAN GOVERMENT KILL THE MAIN LINUX BOSS?
IT NOT F-CKING GREAT!

Linux is only free if your time is worthless ;)

thanks linux

otherwise M$ would cuck us even more with win10, cortana, telemetry and such spywarecrap!

>absolutely rubbish for home desktop use
if you're a retard, sure

Only for my server/nas in the closet. How the hell do you use something less developed, less adopted than linux for a desktop?

Literally Windows can do this just fine. If Windows users were autistic they could create a program that displayed useless text all plastered all over windows also.

Kali?

Been on kubuntu as a daily driver for a while now. Really comfy. Not autistic so I can admit that both osx and windows have some advantages over Linux and vice versa.

I like customizability (you can pretty much turn it into an osx clone if that's your thing) and it's objectively better than at least windows for developing. I also like that you're not tied to $1500 machines.

I also had a really shifty touchpad under windows but playing with the acceleration settings fixed it. So much more usable.

Ubuntu has a pretty nice music recording program

But if you work in tech learning linux is in itself valuable. And most people have time they are wasting anyways.

the command line is fucking confusing

it makes me feel dumb when i have to google every 5sec

Pretty good senpai

ah and windows magically dont need manintanece.
modern distros are fine and easy to use

just avoid njggerbuntu

>the shirt logo designer used non-free Adobe Illustrator
>they ran out of XXXL really early this year

THISS

Who Vim here?

>Arch lunix masterrace
>plebs pls go

>I wish I knew why he was flipping out.
He was giving a speech to huehuehues in Brazil and asked them initially whether to speak in english or spanish. They went for english, but noticed halfway through, that they don't actually understand it, so they asked him to switch to spanish. As a result he was frustrated, because what point is there in continuing, if huehuehues didnt understand the first part of his presentation?

Brazil BTFO once again.

>> useless text

the date, the name of the SSID the laptop is connected to, the IP of the DNS server in use,

>> useless

You're a retard.

>> Windows

Windows is cucked by microsoft gg dipshit

>> I also like that you're not tied to $1500 machines.

Running GNU/Linux minimalist on Macbook Pro because capitalism is the way.

I run debian as a host OS/shitposting machine for a virtualized VPN. regularly leave it on for months at a time. with a solar panel and an auto-update cron job it would outlast the internet itself

All my word processing documents are littered with :w

Pirate Unis Shell Programming by Third Edition by Stephan G Kochan and Patrick Wood. The first like 3 or 4 chapters will have you balls deep in the most common commands. Moving around copying deleting creating directories. Stuff like that. The rest is good as well but take it slow it gets deeper then you might want at first. Also youtube for basic command and useful command videos. Wendel from tech syndicate has one on the teklinux channel. It actually has a really useful command you wont need right away but is massively useful once you get started and its ot normally included in beginner videos.

Meme distro like Gentoo. I bet you run that shit on a Lenovo Thinkpad too.

>implying they're fat

I is vim and Dvorak.

Did you try ubuntu studio?

as long as we are being autistic, I fucking hate pic related. for years, everyone agreed that X meant close, the boxes meant fullscreen/not full screen, and the underscore meant collapse the window and just show a tab at the bottom.

all of these at least have some resemblance to the action.

but fucking yellow, green, and red? I kinda grasp that red means stop, but what the fuck does yellow mean? use the window or app slowly? carefully? this seriously looks like some shit that Apple would come up with, but why the ever loving fuck would linux adopt it?

why not gentoo or slackware, you insufferable hipster?
> muh bleedin edge

your desktop is probably riced up, with some faggy conky running behind your white-on-black-transparent urxvt leet-terminal running weechat inside tmux

god how I hate linux fags

>the date, the name of the SSID the laptop is connected to, the IP of the DNS server in use,

Nigger, that information is ONLY of use if you NEED IT. Why the fuck would you seriously need to be reading your IP, SSID, or DNS server constantly?.

The only time I need my SSID is to connect to a network, my OS doesn't surprise switch networks and shit without warning me. It's not like I have to babysit my internet connection.

And if I did need it I just hover over the fucking icon in my system tray.

>Running GNU/Linux minimalist on Macbook Pro because capitalism is the way.
Not even mad. Pretty good if you can afford it. I installed Ubuntu gnome on my air once. Not good enough at Linux for anything more complicated. Touchpads on macs are really really really good.

>the IP of the DNS server in use,

I've used linux exclusively for over 10 years, and for the life of me I can't imagine why I would want this permanently displayed.

>the date, the name of the SSID the laptop is connected to, the IP of the DNS server in use,
none of those things are even useful information. the date only changes once a day, and everything else is the same 99% of the time

i keep a small auto-hidden panel in xfce with less useful info like
>hostname
>CPU graph
>RAM/swap
>network activity
>AC power (laptop) or uptime (VM host)

>but why the ever loving fuck would linux adopt it?
It's overrun by hippster faggets, that's why.
>normies get our of my KREEEEEEEEEENL

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you’re referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.
Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called “Linux”, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project. There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use.
Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine’s resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called “Linux” distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

the colors make just as much sense...
if you know a bit about traffic code

>> but why the ever loving fuck would linux adopt it?

Linux is a kernel. Xorg is a windowing system. Your Window Manager provides your window decorations (if you have any at all).

You don't really start to computer until you learn how to use *nix

If you didn't learn how to use *nix when in high school or in college/university than using *nix may be next to impossible for you.

Not to worry, plenty of us are working on web-interfaces for important computer things like Bitcoin and an alternative to kikebook your mom can use that has a P2P back-end but still also actually works (with okay enough performance).

Emacs is better.

I have seen richard stallman's belly up close in person multiple times. trust me, none of them have what you'd call "muscle mass"

Goddamnit is this Sup Forums now?

>Linux is a kernel. Xorg is a windowing system. Your Window Manager provides your window decorations (if you have any at all).

ok, Richard, shut the fuck up. You know exactly what I mean when I say linux, and your gay-assed *nix is triggering me as well.

>> with some faggy conky running behind

Strongly agree most conky configs are shit.

KDE's Konsole is great.

# eix konsole
[I] kde-apps/konsole
Available versions: (5) 15.12.3 16.04.3

god he is fucking disgusting looking

I was working on some config files last week and my esc key got stuck. I almost had an aneurysm.

Security you fucking tard.

Because you can theme it any way you like, I just like the traffic light buttons. You can have darkasmysoul themes too, Jesus.
I've been using various distros for over 10 years now, don't make a big deal out of a GTK theme.

Resolution is too large to upload full image. 8 out of 16 gb ram decided to die on me yesterday after like 5 years

Great on routers. But that's about it.

>Emacs is better.

I knew with out having to look it up that the same space cadet who wrote Emacs was almost certainly the same space cadet who thought the info page design would work for humans.

A measure of a good operating system is ease of use and compatibility, the simple fact is that using linux is harder and it's compatible with less hardware and software. It has struggled for years to have good driver support for all major hardware vendors, basic things like wifi havn't worked well at all for years at a time.

The free market of users who pay for OSs stand clear on this, it's a horrible end user OS for these reasons and more.

>> You know exactly what I mean

Learn to *TYPE* what you *MEAN* and *MEAN* what you *TYPE* you autistic fucking retard.

>> when I say
>>

s/say/type
# go be an hero

I can see you now, in line at the salad bar, and saying "I can't grep the black olives" and thinking it would impress someone.

You also say "grok" and people want to kill you for it.

if you have so much problems, just install Ubuntu or something

>> using linux is harder

Yeah if you're a cuck who can't RTFM

>> compatible with less hardware

Linux technically does has have -- as far as driver/device coverage -- the broadest hardware support of any operating system.

>> It has struggled for years to have good driver support for all major hardware vendors

Filthy jewish lie.

Competent adults have no problem finding compatible hardware or configuring a system.

Gentoo on a Macbook Pro circa 2013 was just as easy for any one who understood how to construct Xorg by hand any way (if you can't do this Linux isn't for you go use a Mac and get cucked by shitty malware your shitty gov bought from India)

It's the 2nd most favorite operating system for nu-male cucks after Mac/OS Xs.

>the command line is fucking confusing

It really fucking isn't. You specify whether or not you want to give a command as a root, specify the utility or program to give the open command to, or additionally give the utility or program a command.

That is the syntax of every line of text in a GNU/Linux command line that you will type.

It's not the operating systems fault you presume cfdisk /dev/sda is some obscure chink language and not "launch cfdisk(partition utility) for the storage system"

Your inability to grasp simple syntax such as:
launch xyz program
using xyz program -> perform this task
here's my password to change system settings -> using xyz modify system settings -> modify with this command

Is evidence of your shortcoming in intellectual development and a lack of critical thinking skills.

GNU/Linux is the only non-Jew run OS and your inability to use it is evidence you aren't White.

>up close in person
Wh-what were you doing th-there user?

>basic things like wifi havn't worked well at all for years at a time.
The problem is Broadcom are cunts.
Android phones don't have driver problems, neither do Chromebooks or the laptops that ship with Ubuntu (or other distros).

Guh. I mostly do quick edits to config files, so I prefer nano.

>> none of them have what you'd call "muscle mass"

when Theo has wife and climbs mountain unlike your skinny-fat windows-using ass

Running lubuntu right now

If you want legitimate privacy from invasive corporations linux is the only way.

I hate to break it to winfags but choosing the more private options on an install of windows 7 8 or 10 doesn't do shit. MS still collects obscene amounts of data from your PC, Apple isn't any better.

DELET THIS.

It was amazing in the 90's, now it's kind of shit except for RHEL.

Great place to ask this.

I am on Linux Mint. I hear that Mint has some issues with privacy or something. I want to try something else so I've been looking for other distros. I tried OpenSUSE but didnt like it, and I don't want to use Ubuntu.

Is Gentoo a good one and how much command line experience do I need?

>INSTALLED UBUNTU 16.04 LTS
>CLICK ON SETTINGS
>UNEXPECTED ERROR
>REBOOT, CLICK AGAIN
>EVERYTHING IS FINE
>Le most user friendly distro meme

I don't have problems with it, I use it for almost all of our servers except for a domain controller. It's not hard for experts to use, it's hard for novices to use and novices make up the vast majority of end users.

Which is most users, because end users don't want a complex OS that is hard to use, they want fast and slick user interfaces which makes doing things quick and easy, and linux has failed at this since it's had UIs.

No it doesn't have good driver support, not for typical hardware that end users want to support things like video cards for gaming, most sound cards (the linux audio stack is a fucking mess), things like basic wifi connectivity.

>Competent adults have no problem finding compatible hardware or configuring a system.

But they do, being a competent adult doesn't make you a tech genius, which is something most techies fail to understand. The simple fact is that of the 7b+ people on earth most don't have the time or inclination to learn how to use Linux and all the various different inner workings in order to get a device which enables them to do shit.

If you think that usability isn't a measure of a good operating system then you're being intellectually dishonest.

It's called the right tool for the job.

Servers/techies = linux/unix
Normies = windows
plebs = OSX

There's a REASON that most servers are linux and most end user OS is windows, it's because people gravitate towards what is best for their specific use, the free market and sales numbers don't lie.

He gets what he deserves for thinking all people are equal to the point everybody is smart enough to know which language they speak. If you look at stallman.org he is a huge green/Bernie shill.
Still no reason to go full REEEEEE, this clip was hilarious.

Vim nigger reporting in! I even use firefox with Vimperator plugin.

Drivers problem - >check
Wasting huge amount of time to fix broken shit or to configure something - >check
Have to learn how the whole system works to fix little problems - >check
Wasting huge amount of time to find error solution on forums - >check
No photoshop - >check
No gaemz - >check
Prisheblyadi ne nujni