10 differences between Catholics and Orthodox

Ten differences between Orthodox and Catholicism.

1. Orthodox reject inheritability of sin. Death and suffering are human nature, we only don't suffer them when partaking in perfect synergism with God's energies, which we haven't since the fall.

2. The Orthodox reject the "satisfaction theory of atonement". The Orthodox subscribe to "Christus Victor" (the idea of atonement illustrated in The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe).

3. Hell in Orthodoxy is not separation from God. Hell, like heaven, is experiencing the full radiance of God's light and presence, but with a negative relationship so that it is like fire.

4. The Orthodox reject the idea that our understanding of dogma develops. The idea is to keep the exact same understanding the Apostles have, invented terminology is not meant to develop the understanding, but to PROTECT it from being "developed".

5. Catholics define usury as excessive interest, Orthodox define usury as any interest.

6. The Orthodox reject the Catholic idea of supererogation.

7. The Orthodox reject Purgatory. The Orthodox do, however, distinguish Sheol (called "Hades" in Greek) from Gehenna.

8. Orthodoxy places enormous emphasis on fasting, in fact more than half the days of the year involve some sort of fast. And there are even some days which are total fasts, no intake, period. Two consistent fast days (almost every Wednesday and Friday, no meat, dairy, eggs, fish, oils or wine) trace back at least to the Didache.

9. Orthodox draw most of their priests from the married laity, but most of their bishops from monks.

10. Infants can and do receive Holy Communion.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=yeRXbLAIPcU
youtube.com/watch?v=_a6-u_6dZ8M
youtube.com/watch?v=_AwkEpPw43o
saintandrew.net/files/catechumen info/Catechumen_Renunciations_and_Affirmations_Form.pdf
pastebin.com/bN1ujq2x
youtube.com/watch?v=Y4xL0cDKWUs
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harrowing_of_Hell
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I'm an atheist, my wife and kids are catholics but if I convert to christianism someday I will definitely pick orthodoxy. The Catholic Church has been making up new dogmas for centuries this is really getting out of control. Back to the Forefathers.

Never knew much about orthodoxy, just realized I may be closet orthodox. Am non denomination Christian church

Amen
youtube.com/watch?v=yeRXbLAIPcU

We are non-denominational. That is, our kind of Christianity was founded by Christ, "Denominations" and "sects" of Christianity were founded by men.

Ironically, the non denomination I belong to is striving to be like the church in Acts. I may have inadvertently been seeking something that already exists. From my understanding orthodox has no pope like person or something like it. Is that correct? Our churches are headed by individual elders and laity with adherence to scripture at the forefront

posting in true church thread

So a lot of Catholics seem to believe that Jesus wasn't white.
What do the Orthodox think on this?

Catholics have nr 8 too, but nobody really care

can you explain what is nr 2? I'm sincerely interested.

thanks for the info op

We maintain the office of episkopos (Anglicized as "bishop", but in Greek it literally means "overseer). No bishop is infallible though, and while some have ceremonial recognition and ability to call councils, in function they all have equal authority, just over the area they are head of. If your bishop starts teaching wrong things, you are obligated to oust him.

"Elder" is a translation of "presbyter", which is what priests are called in Greek (that is, the English word "priest" actually comes from the Greek word for "elder").

Each of our individual parishes is governed by at least one presbyter, in conjunction with a body of laity called the church council. The council has several points of authority in order to maintain a separation of powers (for instance, the priest is never to handle the money, counting it or any of that, neither does he have any authority over expenditures).

>Eastern Europeans ITT thinking Murifat non-denominationals and Euro-hipster atheists dogpiling their schismatic churches because of Russia memes is a good thing

It's a MEME. Don't fall for the eternal burger's protestations of loyalty or sincere belief, they have none.

P.S. Poland's the best Eastern country.

That's never been an Orthodox question, everyone just depicts him according to their own culture. Ethiopian Orthodox, for instance, depict him as black, but it was never a fuss. We consider such racial concerns to be pure modernism. You can depict Christ as black, or with blonde hair and blue eyes, doesn't matter. He is always to be depicted with long hair and a beard though.

Depicting him is one thing, but what was he actually?

Oh my. I am closet orthodox. We based our overseers and deacons on the teachings of Paul to Timothy. May be a few variations but you are blowing my mind

The Orthodox reject the idea that Christ is accepting punishment from God in humanity's place. Rather, he is being attacked by the evil forces in humanity's place (Satan is, after all, the Accuser, he's snitch in chief). But the forces of evil, by taking Christ to hell, rupture it, ending their dominion of death.

Catholicism has number 8, the emphasis on fasting and fasts in general, lad.

The thing is, and I believe the same could be said about those who subscribe to Eastern Orthodoxy, that in general, few follow said fasts. It's quite frustrating with the rise in Christian-in-Name-Only "followers".

As I Catholic, a lot of these differences seem like different takes on the same fundamental idea that we both believe. I mean you can say you reject purgatory, but if you believe a place of purification after death before entering heaven, that's the essential idea of purgatory.

4. isn't really something that Catholics must believe, it's more of a take on the history of dogma and belief made famous by Cardinal John Henry Newman.

8. This is good and it is one of the biggest mistakes the Catholic Church has done since Vatican II.

Overseer and elder was originally the same position, it meant you were in charge of the body of Christians in a given area. But when Christianity exploded, there got to be ton of churches in each area, and the overseer/elder couldn't keep up with it (there used to be just one church per area). So they separated the office, and you have an overseer of an area, and at least one elder for each individual church in that area.

We think that is a modernist concern, and therefore not compatible with Orthodoxy.

Similar to Aslan being slain by the witch. She didn't understand the deep magic so her actions crushed the stone he was slain apon.

Whichever you pick, you choose viciously circular reasoning.

>apostolic succession is valid because tradition establishes it is
>tradition is valid because church authorities affirm it to be
>church authorities are valid because of apostolic succession

I have been teach that Jesus took the sins of humanity upon himself, it was not a "punishment from God", but I don't want to split the hair, I'm only a pleb with no knowledge on theology.

But what is
>The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe

I was born Catholic and I'll die a Catholic

But man do I have mad respect for the orthidoxy

Catholicism is always trying stay modern and have mass appeal. Its good when it comes to being able to help more people, but causes so much problems with having to not upset anyone.

Like shit, I like helping people, but inclusivity is a bitch sometimes.

God willing the next pope stops this emerging cuck tradition

If only there was some one root cause we could point to that kicked the whole process off, eh user? Wouldn't it be convenient if God himself came down to earth to show us how to live and start the church?

CS Lewis wrote it as a children's book. It is rich with Christian ideals. Btw, Tolkien helped convert him from atheism. And Tolkiens works also would allude to a Christian world view

Catholics only fast an hour before Communion, for the Orthodox it has to be the whole day before Communion (starting at midnight at the very latest).

And trust me, your Lent is nothing like ours, ours is no oils, wines, dairy, meat, eggs or fish. On Lent weekends, we have oils and wines.

Some Orthodox follow fasts more than others, but pretty much everyone adheres to Lent.

Purgatory in Catholicism is generally understood as some sort of punishment or unpleasant experience. We believe you're purified prior to heaven, but we don't see it as a place.

4. Was affirmed by Vatican II

He did exactly that in the Gospels~

He was middle-eastern. The demographics were different back then, but he probably wasn't white.

>tfw catholic in the knights of columbus
>tfw some guys have a hard on for the rosary and they want rosary checks at meeting
>tfw i think the rosary takes too long and is autisticly repetitive

Yeah, that's exactly why I used that as an example in the OP. The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe adheres to the Orthodox theory of atonement.

Most people who identify as Orthodox don't actually attend church. You really need to go to one to see Orthodox views.

Why was he probably not white?

Cause the majority of the people there were not white.

Most people who identify as Christian period don't go to church. Most people who identify as Christian aren't *actually* Christian either - fun fact.

>Caring what Evangelicucks say they think about teh gays when they bent over for Trump.

Depends on how you define "white". If you define it to exclude Semetic peoples, he obviously wasn't. If you define it to include people like Assad, it's reasonably possible that he was. Regardless, it has no religious bearing, and in fact such speculation is spiritually counter-productive.

Who cares youre all dumb fucks

Yes, we should care about what cucklics think. That way we can have LGBTAQIPBUFFALO rights for everyone, and people can suck dick without any shame!

>next Pope
Are you aware of the papal prophecies? Francis is our last one.

So could you in fact say that all punishment is in fact born out of the hatred against mankind from those who are fallen? That would put the idea of our punishments really being from our own wicked pursuits in a new light

Semitic people are not a group that defines any racial boundaries. Semitic people have in common their languages.

Assad is Caucasian. He is not white.

yeah I've always thought that the rosary should be used more sparingly because for most people, they just kind of mindlessly chant and lose focus half way though.

Damn this thread made me decide that i will go tommorow to evening sermon.
Havent attended church in a month.

Maybe that's exactly what the church needs

And most people who identify as Orthodox aren't actually Orthodox either, they just identify with it because it is inextricably bound up with their ethnic identity. Easter, for instance, among Orthodox ethnicity, for instance, is not like the West, it's a lot more religious: there is no Easter Bunny, eggs are all painted one color (red, for Christ's blood), and songs are sung about Jesus, particularly Christos Anesti: youtube.com/watch?v=_a6-u_6dZ8M

In fact, it's not even called "Easter", it's called Pascha. Pretty much everyone who celebrates Easter in this way will identify as Orthodox. Western Easter, on the other hand, is very easy to celebrate without any mention of Christ.

Fuck, is the Narnia movie. You can have said this in the first place.
Thank you anyway.

That's correct. The serpent tempted Adam and Eve purely for the sake of getting them punished.

Why do Orthodox and Catholic believe hell is a place you will suffer for eternity?

The Bible states clearly that he'll is second death, and that the hellfire is the fire that God will pour on those who were not able to get into heaven.

"If I were not a Catholic, and were looking for the true Church in the world today, I would look for the one Church which did not get along well with the world; in other words, I would look for the Church which the world hated. My reason for doing this would be, that if Christ is in any one of the churches of the world today, He must still be hated as He was when He was on earth in the flesh. If you would find Christ today, then find the Church that does not get along with the world. Look for the Church that is hated by the world as Christ was hated by the world. Look for the Church that is accused of being behind the times, as our Lord was accused of being ignorant and never having learned."

"Look for the Church which men sneer at as socially inferior, as they sneered at Our Lord because He came from Nazareth. Look for the Church which is accused of having a devil, as Our Lord was accused of being possessed by Beelzebub, the Prince of Devils. Look for the Church which, in seasons of bigotry, men say must be destroyed in the name of God as men crucified Christ and thought they had done a service to God. Look for the Church which the world rejects because it claims it is infallible, as Pilate rejected Christ because He called Himself the Truth. Look for the Church which is rejected by the world as Our Lord was rejected by men. Look for the Church which amid the confusions of conflicting opinions, its members love as they love Christ, and respect its Voice as the very voice of its Founder, and the suspicion will grow, that if the Church is unpopular with the spirit of the world, then it is unworldly, and if it is unworldly it is other worldly. since it is other-worldly, it is infinitely loved and infinitely hated as was Christ Himself. But only that which is Divine can be infinitely hated and infinitely loved. Therefore the Church is Divine."

Just calling oneself something doesn't actually make a person that something - news at 11.

This. Catholicism is hardly even a religion. It literally will claim to be inspired by God's words and his apostles, but will change it's dogma according to whatever the public wants to believe is right or wrong.

Fug. You need to get on it, brother.
youtube.com/watch?v=_AwkEpPw43o
Better go to Holy Confession.

How do we know that?
For me white is just an appearance thing. Assad looks white to me (granted not very handsome).
As for it being counter-productive, I don't want to worship a nonwhite God, you know?
Assad has fair skin and eyes. He looks white to me.

OP can you give some more contrasting points between orthodoxy and Roman catholicism? I'm trying to present a convincing case for my gfs parents, and I wanted to know if I was missing anything major

The idea that people will be saved from hell is something to hope for, but not something we can claim to know, and it is wrong to presume so.

>As for it being counter-productive, I don't want to worship a nonwhite God, you know?
There is no race in the Kingdom of God.

What is a good resource to research this further? user u have made my day. Epic thread is epic

>4. Was affirmed by Vatican II

You know, it's a subject I should read up on more before talking about it. I've never read Cardinal Newman's work on the development of dogma. I know it's not "evolution" of dogma like the modernists believed, but I'm not sure exactly what he was saying.

Happy feast day of Pope Pius X.

Peter's person is the rock, not his chair, Christ did not say, "I say this chair is the rock," he said Peter was. All Apostles are rocks (Revelation 12:14), but Peter got singled out. This means he has a special role in *founding* the Church (obviously no latter Pope helped with that). Peter does not have any special office, he's a regular bishop (1 Peter 5:1).

The Donation of Constantine was the major support used by the Pope who caused the schism, for Papal Supremacy.

There is on earth and I think it's pretty clear which one is the greatest.

Based Fulton Sheen.

Consider going to an Antiochian parish if you can. They're mostly converts and their service is in English. Converts have to fill out this form: saintandrew.net/files/catechumen info/Catechumen_Renunciations_and_Affirmations_Form.pdf

Here is a pastebin that can tell you more about the faith: pastebin.com/bN1ujq2x

The Catholic idea is that dogma doesn't develop, but "understanding" of it does.

Your race won't count for jack come judgement day.

>2. The Orthodox reject the "satisfaction theory of atonement". The Orthodox subscribe to "Christus Victor" (the idea of atonement illustrated in The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe).

Jesus, Christianity is fucked up. You guys don't even know why the most important event in the whole religion happened.

When the memory of communism fades from the collective conscience of eastern Europe.

When their economies catch up to those of the west, allowing for the same level of materialism and hedonism.

Then, and only then, will the orthodox realise that they have forgotten the words of Saint Anthony the Great.

>ITT basement hermits

If God expects us to take salvation seriously, why would he come in the form of a lesser race?

The Orthodox do.

Humanity as a whole is infinitely lessor than God.

Humanity is not a whole

All Orthodox Christians are One Body, and if you can't handle that, it's not for you.

>All Orthodox Christians
Stop being such a fucking exclusivist. If you at least once felt joy while thinking that a muslim terrorist will go to hell, then hell awaits you, friend, and I can not do anything but pray for you and cry.

I can tolerate shit skins practicing the same religion, but the center of the religion (Jesus) should be white.

I'm just iterating dogma, whether or not a Muslim goes to hell isn't my business or knowledge.

All members of the Church are physically his Body, through Communion. He's white, black, Asian, Arab, every race under the sun.

"...[I]n acting or getting others to act, in mutilating or getting others to mutilate, in torturing or getting others to torture, in inflicting sorrow or in getting others to inflict sorrow, in tormenting or getting others to torment, in intimidating or getting others to intimidate, in taking life, taking what is not given, breaking into houses, plundering wealth, committing burglary, ambushing highways, committing adultery, speaking falsehood — one does no evil. If with a razor-edged disk one were to turn all the living beings on this earth to a single heap of flesh, a single pile of flesh, there would be no evil from that cause, no coming of evil. Even if one were to go along the right bank of the Ganges, killing and getting others to kill, mutilating and getting others to mutilate, torturing and getting others to torture, there would be no evil from that cause, no coming of evil. Even if one were to go along the left bank of the Ganges, giving and getting others to give, making sacrifices and getting others to make sacrifices, there would be no merit from that cause, no coming of merit. Through generosity, self-control, restraint, and truthful speech there is no merit from that cause, no coming of merit.''

Purana Kassapa, 5th or 4th century BCE

fucking spooks

Thank you for pushing the worldview that created Miley Cyrus.

Orthodox
>remove kebab

I'd be with you on Jesus being all races had he not been born a man on earth.
He must have been some race during that time and whichever race he chose to be must be significant.

''There is no such thing as alms or sacrifice or offering. There is neither fruit nor result of good or evil deeds.. It is a doctrine of fools, this talk of gifts. It is an empty lie, mere idle talk, when men say there is profit herein. Fools and wise alike, on the dissolution of the body, are cut off, annihilated, and after death they are not''

Ajita Kesakambali 6th century BC

Jewish.

My mom is gonna freak

Orthodox don't believe in hell in the same way Catholics do (from what I got about Catholics), and it's radically different from Protestants.
Orthodox affirm the free will of man, and that free will can lead you to accept what Jesus taught, or to go against it and deny God.
And since you're going against God or denying God, you will obviously suffer in his presence, and that is hell.
It's not a physical place where they burn you.

There are black Jews so that's not a race.

Define "race". It's generally understood as descent from a particular ancestor or tribe.

Jewish is a race. Jesus looked like this.

>after death they are not

sauce?

I don't know what's the right way.
I've read some Bible lately, starting from the begging up to Jacob having a dream about the ladder. Old Testament is very confusing, I mean the genealogy is just page after page who begot whom.
From what I know Jesus didn't preach in a church, I think the apostles never wore hats and capes, never appointed a pope or bishop.
I dunno, tell me how to Christian pls.

I want to be Orthodox Christian but I can't get over

>god needs to fight the antichrist

Christ preached in synagogues and temples.

Priests and bishops dress in a black or white cassock, except during Liturgy, when they were a little thing over it. The hat bishops wear is the same one monks nuns wear (mainly to manage their hair, and also to prevent vanity concerning it); bishops wear it because they are all tonsured monks.

What do you mean?

>temples
That is, THE temple

Remove kebab.

>tfw protestant heretic attending my first liturgy
>tfw too scared to go up to receive blessing
>tfw qt redhead girl brings me antidoron

I feel like I found my home

>Love kebab
>If teeth fall
>Masticate with the other cheek

>I know nothing about Catholicism except what fellow OrthoLARPers told me
>the post

The greatest problem of Catholicism is that it teaches obedience to the Pope, not obedience to the tenants of the faith.

Welcome.
youtube.com/watch?v=Y4xL0cDKWUs

daily reminder that the pope was the first protestant rebelling against the apostolic church

Interesting stuff.

Any further reading on the Jesus being taken to hell stuff?

>Ten differences between one bullshit jewish sect and another bullshit jewish sect

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harrowing_of_Hell