Non-Lethal Weaponry

Since many heroes generally avoid killing criminals, why don't they just use non-lethal weapons like tasers, or indeed, phasers to end battles quickly and hopefully reduce collateral damage?

And don't try to feed me some bullshit about how most characters don't have access when there are many super-rich characters who have every reason to develop the technology and distribute the equipment among their fellow heroes.

because they have fists

Because TASERMAN would be boring af

She has bullets that don't kill people

Yeah, fists that end up destroying entire city blocks, when a laser that fires stun beams could potentially end a fight in like two seconds.

If your story entirely relies on action alone, that's bad writing. Yes, in a cape book, the action is important, but it needs to be well thought out and creative to be entertaining, which you can do regardless of your characters' powersets.

Also, assuming "TASERMAN" is a street level hero, then he's just being intelligent. ALL street level heroes should carry a taser.

every hero that uses non-lethal weapons ends up being so "street" they bludgeon and batter criminals into a bloody pulp anyway.

that also invites excessive force. Engaging in sparring, wrestling or fighting almost demands lethal attacks to subdue in a quick, consistent and effective way.

>Every hero that uses non-lethal weapons ends up being so "street" they bludgeon and batter criminals into a bloody pulp anyway.
Sounds like bad writing. Since when did "street level" start meaning "I MUST BATHE IN THE BLOOD OF EVIL!!!"?

since street level started meaning "LOOK AT HOW GRITTY AND REALISTIC I AM THIS IS REAL SUPERHERO STUFF"

Don't talk shit about Miles

But again, that's bad writing, not an excuse for capes to be idiots.

>point out lazy trope
>"Sounds like bad writing!"
Yeah no shit.

so how would a hero that uses a riot shield and a baton or prod fare?

Considering said objects likely have some technological/magical element installed, probably alright.

>non-lethal

LESS lethal

As in, people still die all the time from them. Turns out large electric shocks directly applied to the bloodstream or random doses of strong chemicals are actually pretty harsh on the body. Using them so carefree and without risk is about as accurate as gentle judo chops to the neck incapacitating 'baddies' for hours without any permanent damage

Technically they're not categorized as "Non-lethal" but as "Less-lethal". A taser can still kill, rubber bullets (Which I don't think are even a thing outside of fiction) can still kill, beanbag shot can still kill, etc they're just less likely to do it. Suppose your enemy has a heart condition you don't know about and you tase them? Now their heart has stopped and they're dead. How's that going to go for your hero that is against killing?

Technically beating someone into a pulp with your fists should result in some accidental kills as well even if your hero knows exactly what they're doing. Just because one person survived a beating doesn't mean someone else that's the same sex, general age, fitness level, etc would.

There are already heroes that use either batons or shields but I can't think of one that uses both.

Phasers killed plenty of things in Star Trek.

>less-lethal
Yes, but you get my point, yes? It's just weird that capes don't have such things.

Stun setting.

>Stun setting.
>stun combatant
>falls over a ledge and dies

Even on stun setting phasers have killed people in Star Trek, and I don't mean how puts it.

>Yeah, fists that end up destroying entire city blocks, when a laser that fires stun beams could potentially end a fight in like two seconds.

If somebody is tough enough to handle a fist fight with Superman, a taser probably isn't going to work.

>If your story entirely relies on action alone, that's bad writing.
Answered your own question user

Fists are surprisingly lethal.

How the fuck does that thing fire? I assume the yellow button is just to switch modes. There's no trigger.

It has a yellow button on both sides. Presumably one is the trigger.

Reminder that although Pikachu can pump out a ridiculous amount of lethal electricity and does so on a regular basis, he somehow has never killed anyone.

He's overloaded circuit breakers and blown generators without breaking a sweat. Jessie and James should look like Owen and Beru every time.

Also, since Detective Pikachu will be western made, Pokemon is Sup Forums related now.

I got shot with a rubber bullet last year during a riot. It's very painful and breaks bones but not lethal.

what was the riot about
i wanna know how much your dumb ass deserved it

Suppose that rubber bullet hit you in the sternum and sent a piece of bone into your heart or hit you in the head and cracked your skull?

>it needs to be well thought out and creative to be entertaining
>creative

Answered your own question there, user. Tasers aren't creative, they're dull, the reserve of reality. People generally don't read cape books to see people doing things they can see in reality. Someone catching a bank robber with a taser is boring; a man stopping a bank robbery by tying them up in webbing or freezing them in place is enjoyable.

It's about presentation. The primary goal of art shouldn't be accurately replicating reality; it can be, be it shouldn't be seen as the only worthwhile goal art can have.

Speedsters are the non-lethal fun way to do it.

Mode switch for ambidextrous users? It's probably be awkward as fuck for someone who's left handed to hit that button if it were just on the one side.

Maybe it's just pressure sensitive at the spot where the trigger would be?

Im guessing it was black lives matter. Or anti cop protest. what else is goin on that the cops need to carry rubber bullets.

What a good idea OP. I mean it seems pretty odd no one has thought of that. Maybe something that's mainly for defense but could also be used for offense if the hero gets creative. Like, OH I don't know. How about a shield? Or some kind of device that shoots a quick drying adhesive that could trap criminals. But maybe that's too silly. I mean you could just tie them up with a rope and if you wanted to explain why no one just cuts it say it's magic or something. But maybe I'm thinking in to limited a fashion. How about like a case that is just filled with all kinds of non-lethal devices...nah a case would be too big for a hero to carry around while patrolling. They'd need something they could carry on them. A backpack, no. A satchel or purse, GOD NO that's even worse. It should be smaller with a lot of pouches for lots of different things, Nothing fancy, something utilitarian...I can't think of anything right now but I'll get back to you when I do.

But you're on to something here, this could totally change comics as we know them. I can only hope someone with influence in the comic industry stumbles upon your thread.

Fists have a range of a few feet at best.

The fuckload of warzone-like riots in the 1990's?

Those were usually sudden, without local cause, and city-wide rather than modern "riots" which are made up of a few small groups wandering one or two streets at once.

In real riots, bystanders get caught everywhere. Fear The Walking Dead is what they looked like, people not involved took shelter from both sides wherever they could. Entire neighborhoods burned to the ground simultaneously.

The US hasn't had a proper riot since 1997.

>People generally don't read cape books to see people doing things they can see in reality.

You're off your rocker if you think going with a puny two-shot taser against armed robbers and somehow winning is not extraordinary.

Jackie Chan uses chairs to beat up armies of gangsters, technically anyone can swing and throw a chair but it doesnt mean its not fucking incredible.

Realistic limitations make the fantastic accomplishments more rewarding.

>doing the sensible thing is boring
Well I guess all these superheroes should continue to facilitate collateral damage and let all those civilians die because of a bunch of neckbeards want to see fist fights.

You joke, but there would be nothing wrong with capes doing any of that.

>1997

Don't you mean 1992?

But those civilians don't die, user. Spidey webs up the criminals, and they're stopped. People only die in the story if the writer makes them die.

You're thinking about it like it's reality, don't, it's a construction.

>You're off your rocker if you think going with a puny two-shot taser against armed robbers and somehow winning is not extraordinary

You are right though, that would be pretty fun to watch.

It was a stupid drunken college riot. I wasn't in it persay, but I wanted to get close and watch. It was possibly a stray bullet buy it hit my lower side.

The little dial at the top is the one to change the setting from stun to kill, the yellow buttons are the trigger.

>persay

Do feet have a range of a few fists?

Batman has been using tasers for years you fucking casual cunt.

The yellow buttons are the safeties, the gun only fires when the user feels the intent to kill

>persay

...it's "per se", pleb.

"Rubber bullets", per Wiki: ". In a study of injuries in 90 patients injured by rubber bullets, one died, 17 suffered permanent disabilities or deformities and 41 required hospital treatment after being fired upon with rubber bullets".

>Even on stun setting phasers have killed people in Star Trek

Weaklings.

There's multiple levels to the stun setting. The best example of this was on that TNG episode where everyone devolved. Data flat out said that even at the highest stun setting a phaser wouldn't knock out Worf.

There really is no such thing as non-lethal weapons just "less than lethal" which usually can still kill under the wrong circumstances taser a guy with a heart condition or mace a person with allergies and now you're a murderer.

>I wanted to get close and watch

Looks like we got a Klingon here!!!

Non-lethal weapons can actually be a lot more interesting and diverse in high-tech settings than lethal ones and I wish we saw them more often.

Where are the electrolaser rifles that can taze people at 30 yards? Expanding net rounds for shotguns? Launchers that throw blobs of fast-curing epoxy?

>That moment when the victims of the lethal stun shots were Klingons.