Anyone else see this? This was genuinely good, WAY better than the last two Pirates movies, easily...

Anyone else see this? This was genuinely good, WAY better than the last two Pirates movies, easily. Damn shame it flopped. Oh well though, at least they were smart and didn't give it the kind of ending that demanded a sequel. It stands on its own pretty well.

I just want Gore Verbinski to do more Disneykino. It's clear he's the only one who knows how.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=KLm12aRoWoQ
youtube.com/watch?v=_j8k7OT5ft0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

*sniffs awkwardly*

Feels bad being the only Lone Ranger fan.

>Anyone else see this? This was genuinely good, WAY better than the last two Pirates movies, easily.
I agree.I really enjoyed this movie.

i like this movie too.
Gore Verbinski would be a good fit for a Star Wars movie imho.
His world building game is on point and his movies have great atmosphere.

>That scene where the villain eats a guy's heart
How was this allowed?

Comparable to wild wild west.

You're about 5 years too late to discuss this. From what little I remember about it, I thought everything was just slightly off or over-the-top: the pacing, the story, the action, Depp's acting, it just didn't click with me.

this should have been a mid budget character focused western. this insane poster just exposes what a tangled, overproduced ball of madness this movie's plot must be

It had one of the best finales ever. The train action scenes and the William tell overture remix was awesome

>"The first forty-five minutes are excellent…the next forty-five minutes are a little soporific. It was a bad idea to split the bad guys in two groups; it takes hours to explain and nobody cares. Then comes the train scene—incredible! When I saw it, I kept thinking, ‘What, that’s the film that everybody says is crap? Seriously?" - Quentin Tarantino

You're not alone. Audiences and rotten tomatoes were dead wrong on this one

Very slow and boring middle killed it.

The power of Disney.

MOVIE WAS FAAAKKKIINN GAAAABBBAAAARGEE

...That would have been highly unfitting. You know what The Lone Ranger is, right?

Was he a cuck?

the best part was the horse.

>The scene where the bad guy eats the brothers heart while he watches
>The scene where they go to a cathouse
>The scene where they stumble upon two guys clearly about to rape some farmgirls and the Lone Ranger threatens to rape one of them with a duck foot
Disney Magic

This movie gave me a wooden leg fetish.
Anyone else?

>what is the lone ranger
a low budget old western show. i've seen a few episodes and i dont remember giant cgi ghost trains.

youtube.com/watch?v=KLm12aRoWoQ

Gore Verbinski will become a cult-following director in the future

Outside of the Pirates movies, obviously

That's, uh, not a ghost train.

Just watch the movie instead of assuming based on the poster. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Unironically kino

How was that "A Cure For Wellness" thing? I know the critics didn't like it much, but as we've established, the critics are retarded.

tried to be bioshock and shutter island, failed at both

okay you guys have convinced me, I haven't seen it since it came out and now I'm gonna rewatch it (although I would have anyway eventually for Armie Hammer)

Predictable story.
Great atmosphere and lore.

I feel bad for Armie, he's been great in everything I've seen him is and yet it's all flopped.

Hello uno farto

train scene was actionkino

Can someone explain this uno farto meme to me?

The climax fight on the train was great.
The movie didn't need to be 3 hours long though.

Theres a video of an interview with tarantula. At one point he moves in his char and it sounds like he farted. Youtube commenter user mentions uno farto @ time-code.
Areny may mays hilarious?

Yeah, absolutely. Pretty entertaining movie.

>The movie didn't need to be 3 hours long though.
Fucking preach, I like it but there was fat to be trimmed.

I wished they didn't make the colonel mustard character into a villain

Yeah, I was surprised at just how long it managed to be (though to be specific, it's actually 2.5 hours). Disney must have had really high expectations for this movie.

I mean, admittedly, 3 hour westerns aren't exactly uncommon, so maybe they were trying to emulate that.

That's... a lot simpler than expected. I looked it up and it really does sound like a fart though.

It was a bit confused on tone. You had occasional slapstick humor like the kid slingshotting grapes at the bad guy in the middle of a firefight, Milton from the office getting shot in the ass played as a joke, the lucky shot that killed multiple people, and the main character getting his hair dragged through horse manure. Meanwhile, you have hearts getting cut out, scalping, genocide of an indian tribe. The subject matter deserved a bit more reverence at times than it got.

That being said, I did enjoy it, though Verbinski's style, even if I like it, may be more style than substance, but still. Also, the end sequence is definitely one of the more impressive and inventive fight scenes in recent memory.

Verbinski's last movie, Rango, was good too, better than this one.

Don't forget
>the part where the two guys literally get their heads crushed by the big piece of wood

How the fuck did they get away with all this?

Dark as fuck, minimal gore. the problem isn't toeing the line of an R-rating, it's having the guts to do it

They gotta throw in some of that Disney humor to counter the dark shit.
Like in Logan, one minute Xavier is having a seizure and Logan is braiding everyone while their frozen, and in the next scene Charles is pouting about having to take his pills

I'm just surprised that Disney of all people were okay with that. I half expected someone to drop an F-bomb.

Why does Tom Wilkinson always play an evil guy in a suit?

Remember the scene in Captain America civil war when Bucky kills Tony's parents by smashing their heads to goop with his metal arm?
Disney doesn't fuck about

I honestly fucking love this movie and will genuinely never understand the hate for it.
>it's too long

Logan is a Fox movie. Fox owns X-Men and Deadpool.

>marries a woman knowing full well that she is in love with his brother
Hmm

Which is weird because every single Star Wars movie is exactly as long as Lone Ranger and nobody seems to mind it there.

>cgi ghost trains
What the honest and actual fuck are you talking about

Well Disney still does a lot of adult stuff in their movies

Plus there was that creepy guy who kept wearing women's clothes

Yeah true. Even GotG2, which people whine about being all "quippy" and humorous, had that part where Yondu massacred all those mutineers by piercing their hearts with his whistle stick. And the part where Ego reformed his body, which was kind of gruesome.

Based Disney being ahead of the game on transgender acceptance.

I guess they put up with it because watching a star wars movie is better for their "geek cred"

And the scene in the first GoTG where Quill brags about jizzing all over his ship

Back in my day we just called it cross dressing sonny

I don't remember this. Then again I have not seen it in three years.

He just liked pretty thangs is all

Holy shit.

>This was genuinely good, WAY better than the last two Pirates movies
Hahaha, no. POTC 5 was one of the best movies this decade but seems only chinks are intelligent enough to realize it for now.

Lone Ranger main problem was the lack of identity, it was all over the place: Some tragic moments, some comic ones, lots of bloat while at times it felt rushed. It just didn't fit together. Also the whole shit with the kid was fucking pointless and most characters were painfully flat.

It had good directing, talented cast, a solid backstory, some good scenes but overall it was pretty mediocre and deserved to flop. Or they could've do it on a non crazy budget.

Wild wild west was trash that knew it's trash. A solid b movie.

I feel dirty for "defending" Star Wars but outside of 6, 1, 2, they never felt as dragged. While the others have some slow scenes too, it's rarely of the "please end already" variation. The plot is much tighter, which decides whether we perceive a movie as long or not just as much as the actual running time. I could watch Depp doing almost nothing for hours and Lone Ranger still felt like a drag.

It's not like the majority of their target audience has any idea who Pollock is, so it's pretty much the same as children's movies get away implying stuff only adults would understand.

The scene where he's trying to drag his brother away from the gunfight was feels kino, let's be honest

>POTC 5 was one of the best movies this decade
How the fuck so?

I want to say that it makes sense that someone who likes PotC5 would hate Lone Ranger but as much as it pains me to admit it I can understand your point of view on Lone Ranger even if I do not agree with it. But I do not understand why you liked Dead Men Tell No Tales, much less enough to call it one of the best films of the decade. And I'm one of the few people who actually liked On Stranger Tides.

Why didn't the spirit horse bring back all of the Texas Rangers?

Watchable. Visually great but A bit too sterile and overproduced to be really scary, should have been a bit dirtier and gone a bit further with its body horror. Would have needed someone like Cronenberg or Carpenter to direct it.

Ideally it could have been a combination between Shuter Island and Suspiria but i came out more like a combination of Sucker Punch and the Rocky Horror Picture Show.

I thought it was obvious that the horse didn't magically bring anyone back to life and that John simply survived his wounds.

Because it's violation against natural order of life and can be done only in extreme situation like this to bring very bad guy to justice.

I feel like the biggest issue with PotC5 is that it's number fucking 5, so people don't judge it objectively for it's own merits but see it as a part of a waning franchise. Which isn't wrong I guess but seems a bit unfair at the same time. Imagine you haven't seen the previous movies, wouldn't you rate it much higher then?

As for the "best films of the decade" part. For me it's all about expectation management. (Which is why I don't like Lone Ranger too much, I don't even get what it tries to be) PotC 5 promises to be a supernatural adventure with quirky characters, interesting sets, ships, jokes, nice effects, cool villain and great music, and fulfills it all, plus had a surprising emotional side. The big picture is nearly perfect even though when you analyze parts that make the picture, there are tons of flaws with it. Shit, I could probably name more things I dislike about it than the stuff I like but overall it's just right. From the top of my head, only Dark Knight hit a similar balance.

>And I'm one of the few people who actually liked On Stranger Tides.
Now that's weird. Even most of my friends who love PoTC actively hate it while being okay with the 5th.
I enjoyed it the first time even though it felt low budget and had the "unused scenes" feel but after rewatches it just felt cold and empty. Blackbeard was such a disappointment, as were the sets or the overall goal. Of course the Spanish and Barbossa were cool but eh. I'd only rate it above Lone Ranger because of the usual PoTC stuff, and the soundtrack.

>2013-Disney casts a white guy to play an Indian character and got slammed for it
>Now they cast black people or women to play white characters in their Marvel movies
That moment when you realize the blackwashing nowadays isn't disney's fault

Whose fault is it? What can it be traced back to?

And the way I see it, race shouldn't necessarily be the deciding factor in casting (especially with Indians, where their skin color isn't all that different from someone like Depp's). I mean, that's the whole point of being an actor. It's about PLAYING A ROLE. And Johnny Depp is a really good actor.

A white Indian makes no sense. If you tell the audience that it's a horse, you don't cast a fucking elephant. Although the outrage made no sense either since it was less of "some white guy" and more of a Johnny Depp cast as Johnny Depp to give the movie any chance at the box office.

With the Marvel characters, Marvel decides about the shit. They could make all the Avengers black trannies and it'd still make perfect sense since it's 100% up to them. Bitching about it, is like bitching that some Expanded Universe character didn't make it in the last Star Wars movie.

>And the way I see it, race shouldn't necessarily be the deciding factor in casting
So you think a black Napoleon would work in a somewhat serious work?

I said "necessarily." Obviously it doesn't apply to everything but I don't think it's a stretch for Depp to play an Indian because as I said, Depp's skin is already fairly dark and the makeup and acting was very well done, so I could believe he was an Indian. So again, it's about picking the person with the best acting ability. Which is why complaints of "whitewashing" annoy me.

But by a similar token, I don't think there's really a problem with casting someone like Idris Elba in The Dark Tower. Because Idris Elba is another good actor, and race isn't particularly a factor in that role. Yeah, Roland was described a certain way in the books, but it's not necessary to the story for him to be white. And in fact it fits in with how details change in each cycle.

>We gonna take over France, nigga

It wasn't as bad as 1981's "The Legend of The Lone Ranger" or The WB's Lone Ranger from 2003.

It was a bit longer then it needed to be but it was alright. The train sequence at the end was pretty good

>I don't think it's a stretch for Depp to play an Indian because as I said, Depp's skin is already fairly dark and the makeup and acting was very well done
Nah. Indians got more than just darker skin, the only way it'd be plausible would be if some of his parents were white ... though since raping natives wasn't that uncommon and I don't remember the info about his parents, that'd work. Besides, Tonto was generally a weird character, and if he wouldn't be played by Johnny Depp but by a real native, people would probably bitch over the portrayal even more.

Most of the movie kinda sucks, but that action sequence with the main theme song is GOAT

Good point. Tonto's supposed to be an outcast so the casting is kind of fitting in that sense.

It was a good movie
The humor was on point
ITT: Movies that conservatives will never understand

I was just disappointed the whole supernatural cannibal thing was horseshit in universe. It was ok. My sister refused to see it because of the Indian thing but everyone in the family is sick of her shit anyway.

>the west is out of balance
>here is proof, look at these cgi rabbits eating meat
>later in the movie
>dude that guys crazy, dont believe him
>entire subplot of supernatural stuff dropped

Pretty lame desu

The script needed to go through another draft. It feels like two movies crammed into one. Its the lone ranger I don't think it needs to be a huge sweeping epic, just a fun adventure movie.

Don't they also show another crazy carnivore rabbit after all was said and done and they "brought balance back"?

>ITT: Movies that conservatives will never understand
wat
How is that relevant?

It's a bit slow in parts but it had a great atmosphere

When the theme song comes on at the end it's fucking kino

Yeah, I think that was meant to show that rabbits are always secretly evil and that supernatural stuff has nothing to do with it.

>Movies conservatives will never understand
>Main character is conservative

This along with Sahara especially, were two films I was told were shitty flops and then I watched them and really enjoyed them.

Any love for Sahara on Sup Forums?

>movies conservatives will never understand
>forgetting all the leftist pussies throwing a bitch fit when Johnny Depp was cast to play the role of a Native American so he had to come out and say he was like 1/64 Cherokee or some shit to shut them up

I love Steve Zahn, he has a couple lines in that movie that made me laugh, but I thought the movie was kind of lame.

Oh shit, yeah, that was great too. I was afraid to create a thread on Sup Forums because I thought I'd just get people calling it shit.

It was a lot of fun. Although IIRC, it actually made a pretty substantial amount of money compared to most films and only flopped because the budget was so damn enormous.

He's British

It has a really good fucking soundtrack and general atmosphere.

Also Mcconaughey and Zahn's chemistry was Grade A

>that Magic Carpet Ride scene
Kino.

The William Tell arrangement was definitely a standout, but I also liked the very Morricone-ish theme they used in a few places. Hans Zimmer can show some real range when he feels like it.

youtube.com/watch?v=_j8k7OT5ft0
I think this is it.