Ok so the black goo is a bioweapon...

Ok so the black goo is a bioweapon, like the plague but it chooses random people to turn into monsters for whatever fucking reason. Anyone got an explanation for why it does that? Why not just have it kill indiscriminately?

And what's up with the Prometheus engineer willingly using it to "seed" a planet? How does him dying from the black goo seed the planet? How did they know he wouldn't turn into a monster instead?

Other urls found in this thread:

m.youtube.com/watch?v=FvckAPWH7cY
youtu.be/wK8kK4hY6PA
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

watch the movies, its all explained.

Because Ridley Scott has dementia.

put the phone down or close all the other windows when you watch a movie.

It is fucking NOT I just watched them and that was all the info they gave.

The only explanation.

That or he's still holding important info back because he wants to keep making Alien movies.

It doesn't create monsters it causes genetic mutation, using it to seed a planet meant that it would mutate the engineers cells and his body would cause all life on that planet to develop

I FUCKING DO CUNT

They never explain why the black goo mutates certain people or animals into monsters. Or why a guy getting fucked up by the goo seeds the planet.

that's dumb because he could've just died without the goo and had the same effect

You're completely right however I imagine it would've taken a lot longer, the goo is like rapid evolution

It's more of a terraforming tool than a bioweapon. It's designed to kill all the big animals, spawn some monsters that finish off stragglers, and use the biomass of the dead as compost to grow new life from simple DNA strands over a period of a few million years.

Thank you for the first actual answer to my questions.

So there's life already on a planet and then the engineers mutated cells get spread around and kickstart evolution?

So if that's true and the black goo does that, why is it also implied they use it as a nuke to end all life on a planet? Does a little bit cause growth but a large amount cause an overdose and the fauna can't handle it?

But if he just died then his body wouldn't do shit. The black goo must help speed up evolution in other species that drink the water the engineer fell into and then from there it just snowballs

As a weapon it would be like a fresh start tool, wipes out all existing life and causes new life to develop from the old life ensuring the planet isn't wasted

And presumably this new life would be more intelligent like humans?

Ohhh I see now. Thanks for clearing it all up.

Well looking at the film they had identical DNA to engineers somehow so this must be programmed into the goo

The black goo is the xenomorph. It just needs a tweaking to take on that form but it is the essence of the xenomorph.

wrong

right.

>it chooses random people to turn into monsters for whatever fucking reason. Anyone got an explanation for why it does that?
There is a logic to the goo, but it has nothing to do with real world science. Prometheus is a movie, after all.

>5'10 humans identical dna to 9' hairless pale space aliens

Yeah, you don't even share identical dna between ethnicities let alone a fucking space alien

they do sweety, watch the movies.

it's not identical but just like you can take dna from two different people and say "yeah, these two samples are human" that's what happened with the engineer.

It's not the same goo. They used it initially to populate planets just like earth seen in the intro to Prometheus. Then for some reason, after an unclear period of time, they decided to wipe off their original human creation with an advanced, weaponized version of the goo that has different, seemingly random effects on different lifeforms. It doesn't dissolve engineer DNA to fertilize planets anymore it now violently overwrites the DNA of the host causing the varying mutations. Now was that to wipe the slate clean and start fresh or were the Alien™ creatures our replacement as the superior species, were they disgusted when they learned we created artificial life, was it just them wreaking havoc for their amusement, was it a disappointing father punishing his children? These are the question Prometheus wanted you to ask yourself and it's a damn shame they completely redconned that story line with Fassbender wiping off the planet. .

the goo is the same goo, there aren't different versions of it. David clears it up in the second movie. And they didn't come back to earth just "for some reason," it was a very specific reason. They were going to use the exact same goo that doesn't have random effects, it has very specific effects depending on how you interact with it.

When does that happen? When does David ever mention the "original" goo that was used to create life?

"At the start of Prometheus, an Engineer is shown to drink a similar-looking liquid which causes his body to disintegrate into DNA. It is unknown whether or not this liquid was the black liquid, though the effects of the two are remarkably different."

That's from the wiki if that counts for anything.

>it was a very specific reason.

Go ahead and tell me, I'm aware what they wanted to do my question was why?

Covenant makes it clear that black goo is grey goo. It's clearly proframmable to some degree. In the first scene it disolved the engineer into small DNA fragments that then seeded life.
Weaponized goo creates xenos

>That's from the wiki if that counts for anything.
it doesn't. Watch covenant, it spells shit out for you. Again, the goo has different effects depending on how you interact with it.

and they literally wanted to kill humanity because of space jesus. It's not even a joke.

>It's not even a joke.
it's just a theory.

>“We definitely did, and then we thought it was a little too on the nose,” he admits. “But if you look at it as an ‘our children are misbehaving down there’ scenario, there are moments where it looks like we’ve gone out of control, running around with armor and skirts, which of course would be the Roman Empire. And they were given a long run. A thousand years before their disintegration actually started to happen. And you can say, ‘Let’s send down one more of our emissaries to see if he can stop it.’ Guess what? They crucified him.”

literally not a theory when the director (and the movie) spells it out for you.

The goo breaks things down and seemingly reconstructs face huggers out of the DNA.
Just a little bit of goo and Shaw's boyfriend had tiny face hugger worms in him.

The geologist turns into a zombie because they originally wanted him to turn into a weird xenomorph hybrid but bailed out because that would spoil the Deacon ending.

So the same goo dissolves entire Engineers into DNA but ridiculously transforms other lifeforms? I think that's unlikely even in the Alien universe. Isn't it more likely that the Engineers, in all years, actually engineered the substance, transforming it into a weapon?
I mean you could be right, but I've seen Covenant and have no idea what you are talking about. When is the life creating goo mentioned?

That is so fucking ridiculous. So the same species that send us a fake space jew preaching love, tolerance, forgiveness, altruism and pacifism (and for an supposed Alien being showed a weird fixation on reforming specifically Judaism) decided to violently genocide a whole planet of sentient beings? Get it together Ridley.

like I've said for the third time now, it all depends on how you interact with it. That engineer literally chugged a mug full of it. The other interactions are nothing even close to that. David literally explains that the goo takes many forms and is highly mutable. SO yes, the same goo that the engineer chugs dissolves him, and if given in smaller doses and then someone has sex with that person, it'll create a squid, and if you fall into a pool of it you'll turn into a zombie. That's what the movie presents.

and you're looking at the engineers in a really really small scale. They've been living for millions of years, doing this shit. So "in all years" they've been using this magical goo that acts as a method to seed and destroy for both purposes. There's no point in having two different goos (story telling wise) unless you want to overcomplicate a pretty simple concept.

>Anyone got an explanation for why it does that? Why not just have it kill indiscriminately?

We've never seen it used 'properly'. We've just seen humans stumble upon it and touch elements of it that are in whatever state.
We've also seen an android fuck around with the version of it that it found on a 2000-year old spaceship.

We don't really know the full story behind it yet, but David said in that Advent clip on the blu-ray that the black goo is like biological AI nano-molecules. So there might be some kind of algorithm that has its reason for doing what it does, or it's fundamentally disfunctional in it's state before use.

I realize it has different effects varying on the form of contact/infection and I never said otherwise. But that accounts for the black goo in the main plot of the two movies but when, and I also repeat myself for the third time, is it mentioned that it's the same goo from the intro of Prometheus? I'm only disagreeing on this specific point.

>magical goo

See this is why I disagree, I think it's more likely they engineered the substance rather than it being some magical super jizz.

>when, and I also repeat myself for the third time, is it mentioned that it's the same goo from the intro of Prometheus?
when is it mentioned that it isn't. They show what it is in the beginning adn then use it through out. It's literally a long played out chekhov's gun. You're only over complicating it for no fucking reason.

>the black goo is like biological AI nano-molecules

Geezus kwythe, it was nanomachines all along, eh Ridley?

Who thinks up this shit, Kojima?!

Why no biological nanomachines? It's not all that far from present reality, let alone millions of year old alien civilisations.

>over complicating it

They are called engineers so they developed a substance that allowed them to populate worlds with beings similar to them. After being disappointed with their creation they send ships with an engineered, weaponized variant of the original substance to wipe out their mistake.
Now how is that too complicated for you buddy? But stick to your magical goo what do I care.

Because it literally adds nothing to the story.

One character named the engineers, doesn't mean that's what they are.

Stop being a fag and start paying attention next time. Prometheus and covenant explain it all.

It makes more sense. There are millions of years between the events and you think it's more logical they never created anything else but that one specific magic substance that has ridiculously varying effects even on the same species. Remember the ship in Prometheus? Let's assume the Engineers on their way to earth were infected through accidental inhalation or something similar. That would mean that the same substance that dissolves Engineers entire bodies into evolution inducing DNA if they drink it, infects them if they come in contact in any other form. It just doesn't make sense to me. Maybe my mistake is believing Scott has still some of his brain cells left.

They are by definition. They create life so why couldn't they create weapons. Why does it have to be the same magical thing.

Why does it have to be two different things? Believe whatever you want, it literally makes no impact, only difference is that it never was presented as two different substances and you want it to be for no reason.

t. Idiot Abo

>Why does it have to be the same thing? Believe whatever you want, it literally makes no impact, only difference is that it never was presented as one specific substances and you want it to be for convenience.

Was fun going in circles with you user.

Just an fyi here

You guys are putting in 10x more thought and effort into this than Scott did, so don't get too carried away.

I'll take presented convenience over forced head canon any day.

Remember when every-fucking-body latched on Lindelof as the one who made Prmetheus suck?

Now, after Covenant, SUDDENLY... nothing. And now we know it was Ridly Scott behind it all.

What I'm trying to say is, it's time to A P O L O G I Z Z L E

>black goo
its used to create life and was used as a bio weapon
>why did the kill the A.I and hate humanity
because he saw humans were making life just like they did and it was like telling god your equal to it.
> jesus alien
yes and if not for him we would be all wiped out.
> Davids motives?
he hates all life and see's them as imperfect. this gives him a need to try to make the perfect race which gives birth to the xenos.
>but why kill of the Prometheus
cause he hated them as much as he hated humans

the only plothole in the whole movie is why they have so advance tech but in older movies its shit.

Instead of making things pointlessly convoluted, why not accept that the goo is a narrative device? What it did to its victims in Prometheus had to do with their character. In the setting, it's 'literally' magic goo that reacts to thought.

So they programmed our white goo inside their black goo as well?

Kys

David must've been dumb as fuck because xenos don't come close to humans let alone perfect.

They're dumb animals with amazing hunting and survival abilities but other than that they are nothing.

Could they have hidden intelligence underneath their dildo heads? Unlikely.

The whole prequel series is convoluted and lazy

Covenant retconned every alien and predator movie, including the video games and novels.

I expect a reboot at some point to get this horrible writing back under control.

>retconned every alien and predator movie

Those were NEVER cannon you fucking autist, NOBODY ever put a Paul WS Anderson movie in the same continuity as the original Alien movies

FUCK

>predators
>horrible writing
You reminded me of something, I read somewhere on the Alien wiki that xenos were created for predators to hunt them. Like their sole purpose is to be put on a planet and let young predators hunt and kill them as a graduation ceremony or some shit.

So.. What the fuck?

Prometheus made the first AvP more canon by being a half-remake of it.

they didn't make them. the predators used xenos to hunt and breed them but thats it

It's not, in covenant it's even more obscure. The black goo gas can build an alien in someone's back in about 2 hours (with them just feeling a bit ill). Later we see that it just petrifies the engineers, doesn't mutate them. David makes the aliens by experimenting on shaw's body with the goo and says they are perfect when in reality they are far less of a threat than the black goo is normally. Also the black goo when taking over the planet takes the form of mosquitos yet doesn't just stay in that game winning form.

Also don't forget in prometheus the good can make people in zombies, but then that disappears.

Huh, must've mixed shit up then.
Funny how david says they're the perfect species while other savage species say they are the perfect prey.

The engineer doesn't seed himself with black goo, it's a different substance. The engineers work with nanoparticles and so the goo is just a different tech.

>Later we see that it just petrifies the engineers, doesn't mutate them.
it was just black goo, not black goo spores that infected the guy

It was well established that the xenos have existed for thousands of years in all the franchise media

Scott can't just say that 30 years if franchise media is non canon simply because he didn't make it

Yes but a weapon that just kills everyone gathered below isn't very good. David could have flown to the planet in an apache and dropped white phosphorous over the crowd to the same effect. The power of it is in its infectiveness and unpredictability, creating invincible killing machines. We do know it did do that to the rest of the planet but it should have done it to all the engineers crowded there.

Also how did david go out and collect species from the planet whilst this was all going on. Both the aliens and any remaining engineers would have killed him.

It's black goo taking the form of spores, it works together and finds a way in. Deleted scenes show that it's a mimicry of natural life on the planet.

Well in the first film the space jockey is fossilized and the crash site ancient. So it contradicts his own film. That said apparently david actually found an ovomorph and his work was recreating it, not inventing it - they just didnt put it in the film.

it's established in the other movies and games that the aliens ignore the robots for some reason, so david going around doing who the fuck knows isn't unreasonable.

why didn't he cells all die in the water

If you watch link related in answers some questions. Not sure why this information wasn't in the film.

m.youtube.com/watch?v=FvckAPWH7cY

The aliens wouldn't, either they sense that he has no edible parts or david found a way to communicate with them, as seen in Covenant

Perfect adversary more like. On a similar plane as "the most dangerous game"

The queen goes out of its way to kill bishop and we never see ash meet the alien. I cant remember resurrection and in isolation you do see a dead working joe killed by the alien - presumably it killed one and saw it wasnt human.

In covenant alone a neomorph attacks walter.

cum sking why?

Yes but i highly doubt he could communicate with a planet's worth of them running around and some forms far too small to be intelligent.

Why not? He communicated with a baby alien, plus I'm sure the Aliens can communicate with each other and say that david is a bro.

So basically the goo does whatever the writer needs it to do at any particular moment?

Is the goo God?

I'm assuming that has something to do with how much of a guiding role he had over the alien's development, alongside that alien having a significant brain even at birth compared to say the worms.

It's not the worst plot hole though, compared to most of them david running around in the chaos and capturing animals and engineers is relatively benign.

More like morgoth

Yes when fans have to scramble to justify it. Some ambiguity is amazing in sci fi - a sufficiently advanced species would have tech that would appear incoherent to us and it also helps make them more mysterious and scary. HOWEVER when the pacing of prometheus was all over the place and characters a mess and covenant making no sense canonically with incomprehensibly dumb characters and inconsistent rules (neomorph bulletproof until plot requires it do die) - then it's obvious the ambiguity isn't an intentional plot device and is actually just bad writing.

I justify it by assuming the black goo has different compositions and we're not always seeing the same substance, especially in the prometheus opening.

This
>spends decades creating autistically creating 'perfect organisms'
>said organism gets btfo by half a dozen jarheads and a tugboat jockey

would the melanin that black people have protect them from the effects of the black goo?

This
I hate millennials
The Can't figure out shit in movies.
They must Have everything placed in front of Their eyes to understand something

yeah i can explain it: SHIT WRITING

youtu.be/wK8kK4hY6PA
this

Its literally "its magic I dont have to explain shit" inserted into the story. So that they can have a philosophical wank.

Those werent engineers right? They were another created species like humans?

/thread
OP you are a fucking idiot

There is a bunch of shit that is implied but not explained. If you watch Scott interviews there are might be multiple engineer factions. Creators and destroyers. Also there are other species like human who where created and there is shit above engineers that created them. Hes even implied there is no end to the up or down like a turtles all the way down thing. Like the engineers where made by someone who was made by someone and this is just how the universe works, Now humans are creating android life in David. And David is using the black goo (destroyer version) to make the Xenomorphs from Shaw allowing them both to live on in their creation.

There was also an idea in the previous movie about the goo acting differently depending on the act it was used in. Like for the sacrifice it seeded life. When used by less pure more evil creatures (humans) it destroys and mutates making horrible monsters.

And above all none of this seems lock in. Its constantly changing upon the whims of the film makers. So the goo is mostly a plot device that they do what they want with and in the end they will have a ill-defined set of rules about it because of what they did with it.

>space jesus

They are only half into this idea. They like it and sort of go along with it but run away the moment they seem like they would get caught talking about Jesus.

Remember how the beetles got fucked by saying they were bigger than Jesus.

>all goo has the same purpose

The goo is just like a pill. There's obviously different goo for different things

Its the prey that can turn around and become the hunter user. The prey that is the predator. The hunters are looking to test themselves after all.

>you don't even share identical dna between ethnicities
yes you do

>black goo in prometheus
turns you into a mutant in 24 hours
>black goo in covenant
create a neomorph in your body in a few hours

why

David re-engineered the covenant goo

You sir are an idiot. Just stop

Why does baldy space men hate humans? Humans dindu nuffin.

>tfw 80 years old and dedicating your remaining years to trolling the shit out of the most autistic, regressive generation ever, the millennials

A God among men.