Thoughts on Seth McFarlane's upcoming Totally Not Star Trek: The Series?

Thoughts on Seth McFarlane's upcoming Totally Not Star Trek: The Series?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Ll6CNFVFTC8
slashfilm.com/the-orville-will-blend-comedy-with-serious-sci-fi/
youtube.com/watch?v=z0xqaLLydlc
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

If it's better than that Western abomination, it might just be terrible.

Seth was inspired by his Star Trek: Enterprise experience to cast a bland lead actor

looks better than startrek discovery

in space it's hard to go south so fast

>Looks better than the new Star Trek am I right pedes?!

No it doesn't. MacFarlane is cancer.

Sadly, it does. It'll be shit, but not as much as Discovery.

Trash. Just like everything else he touches.

atleast it actually looks like startrek, rather than the poor mans jj verse

if it's like galaxy quest, then it will succeed

honestly looking forward to it more than star trek discovery and I've watched most of the episodes from TOS TNG VOY and ENT. I havent watched DS9 yet so I'll probably watch that instead of discovery

Sorry but it looks way better than that shitfest Discovery...which you have to pay for to watch.

The Orville isn't free to watch.

>implying piracy usnt universal

kys kuk

I was surprised to hear that it's going to be an hour long show and it's not a straight comedy. Seth said he didn't like the way Fox is promoting it as such.

>They got FOUR colors for their uniforms

Better than the actual new Star Trek series

>Blue is Command
>Peach is operations
>Green is medical
>Red is.....

>Hey Captain Seth, meet your new First Officer.

youtube.com/watch?v=Ll6CNFVFTC8

maybe he finally did the logical thing and separated tactical and operations.

Adrianne Palicki is a sex goddess

Add to that non-humanoid aliens and I'm tentatively excited

>better than Discovery
No. This faggot is even more infuriating to look at than the WE WUZ Klingon makeover.

Everyone involved in DSC just wants to make money

Seth loves Trek almost as much as the King of Jordan, this is him finally getting to live out his self insert fanfiction

It's so easy to spot MacFarlane shills. They parrot the same line ad nauseum.

>this is him finally getting to live out his self insert fanfiction
It's a shitty comedy spoof, starring Seth "I have no stage presence" Mcfarlane. At least Discovery still has the chance of being good on accident. This shit heap is guaranteed to be garbage.

>At least Discovery still has the chance of being good on accident.

It absolutely does not

So what you're saying is no one has to pay for either of them.

Neither does Orville.

Enterprise managed to have some good episodes, hell Voyager did too. Discovery hasn't demonstrated itself to be that far gone yet.

>I miss the... aspirational place star trek used to occupy.
>"they've chosen to go in a different direction,," he said, describing that direction as dystopian
>the space star trek, macfarlane maintained, now is unoccupied
>"There is some space for aspirational." The orville, he said is "an attempt to fill that void"
>One critic said the show does not feel like "today's science fiction," wondering why he made a show that looks and feels like the 90's. "because I miss the optimism," Macfarlene responded.
>"I'm tired of being told everything is going to be grim and dystopian...I miss the hopeful side of science fiction"
>Macfarlane said the two shows(discovery and orville) "they could not be more different" tonally.
>"They're continuing in the new direction they've to go with that franchise;we're more old school"

It's good to be king

I already know from the Discovery trailer there will be at least one Starfleet vs Klingon engagement. From the Orville trailer, I know it will have a scene with the captain telling the NOTReman captain to move a bit to the side because he's slightly out of frame in the viewscreen.

If I have to pirate either, it'll be the one without the MacFarlane quips.

I don't even like macfarlane, but he clearly has a better understanding of what startrek is compared to the hacks working with discovery, who can't even get continuity right

Bryan Fuller, Nicholas Meyer and Rod Roddenberry aren't Trek fans?

No

>dystopian
I don't think he knows the meaning of that word if he really said that. The whole idea of Trek is that Federation society is basically utopian but on the fringes of space you still have problems that need to be tackled. By that logic, Orville is dystopian because there are still bad guys to fight.

>Trek is all about continuity
I can already tell you don't know what Trek is really about.

Do you want to give the memory alpha people a collective aneurysm?

>if it's like galaxy quest, then it will succeed
It's created by and starring Macfarlane. It can never hope to be anywhere near as good as Galaxy Quest.

>trying to justify why his space comedy show looks low budget

Ur rite

Just turn off ur brain bro epic lasers beam me up scotty lmao I CAN'T STAND IT I KNOW YOU PLANNED IT

the orville is airing on fox which only requires a local broadcast tower and a digital antenna (costs $25 USD on amazon)

star trek discovery is airing on CBS all access which requires a subscription fee

That would be a bonus, yes.

hurr you mind opening this jar of pickles for me it's an anti banana ray flying drunk does it work on salads? ? xD

>starring Sonequa Martin-Green as Michael Burnham, a human who was adopted and raised by Spock's father Sarek and has difficulty adjusting to human culture

Torrents just require my laptop. Your move, pleb.

Spock also had a secret brother. Sarek gets around.

The idea is nice but it's just gonna be a bunch of dry quips between all the generic Star Trek references.

>star trek doesn't need continuity
>entire first season plot arc of Discovery will be about a Klingon virus caused by a failure to adapt successful human genetic augmentations introduced by TOS (expanded upon by Wrath of Khan and ENT) to Klingons
yeah okay

This. Seth seems to think references are everything. That's why he had Christopher Lloyd cameo in Million Ways for no other reason than to be Doc Brown because BACK TO THE FUTURE, MEMBA THAT?

It would be shitty if that's the entire season instead of a fresh reboot because if anything needed to be stricken from canon it's the fucking augment arc. That said I'm glad ridgeless Klingons don't seem to be a thing anymore.

>>Trek is all about continuity
I didn't even say that, you giant mong, I was just pointing out, that even by the trailers, you can tell that they don't even understand the timeline of events. And I do know that previous series like voyager didn't even keep to continuity, but that series is weak anyway. Go and have a wank over the blue klingons

Seth MacFarlane can actually make good material if he tries, but the truth is abou 90% of the time he just goes for the easiest route and lowest common denominator. Hopefully since he's actually starring in this one he'll put in the effort, but it may very well just be cheap shots at ST nostalgia and Family Guy tier "banter". But the guy had the balls to shit on Hollywood over and over at the Oscars so he's alright in my book.

if he gets to sing in the show I'll definitely watch it

I don't think it's a "MacFarlane shill" line so much as a Trekkie line.
I thought the same thing after I saw the first trailer, and outside of a few episodes of Family Guy I haven't really ever done any of MacFarlane's stuff.
It genuinely looks like a better Star Trek show than the new Star Trek show.

There's literally nothing wrong with blue Klingons. And nothing will ever fuck up continuity/canon worse than Enterprise and Voyager.

>Hopefully since he's actually starring in this one he'll put in the effort
Did you like that western movie he starred in? You would be the only one.

It doesn't. The alien with a shotgun and the family therapist brother-in-law tripe tells me it's going to be an unfunny parody at best. I don't know how anyone who loves Trek can look at it and say it will be a faithful adaptation. Literally the only thing it gets "right" is the even lighting from the Enterprise-D bridge. Which again looks like the result of budget constraints. At least in the Discovery trailer I could believe they were really in space instead of on a cheap set.

And you believe they the federation somehow advanced from Discovery to TOS in terms of tech and design?

Fuck, you just had to remind me of that shit. Well, Ted was at least watchable

>There's literally nothing wrong with blue Klingons

hahahahahahahahahhahaha fuck off

At least according to Slashfilm they're trying to make actual plot lines. Could be bullshit of course, but you never know.
slashfilm.com/the-orville-will-blend-comedy-with-serious-sci-fi/

>hopefulle since he's actually starring in this one he'll put in the effort
That's a huge part of my problem with this. Seth is a very good VA, but he has the same amount of screenpresence and charisma as a day old dog turd. I get a lot of shit everytime I defend him on here, but the man has done a few good things. FG used to be good, AD is decent (or at least it used to be) and Ted was genuinely great. FG is cancer now, Cleveland show was worse than cancer, and AMWTDITW was undescribeably horrific, and a huge part of the last one was his dumb fucking mug on the screen all the time.

>Seth McFarlane
dropped

>"they've chosen to go in a different direction,," he said, describing that direction as dystopian

Lol what the fuck is dystopian about any Star Trek other than Mirror episodes? What a fucking idiot.

I have a feeling that all of the people saying this will be infuriated after 5 minutes of watching. What made Star Trek great was the writing, not the sets or costumes.

i don't even wana watch it mate, it still looks bad, just not as bad as discovery

I think he confused dystopian with utopian. Man, this show is gonna be gr8.

>pretending to be a purist when it comes to Trek
Hahahahahahahahahahahhahaha.

Kill yourself.

>And you believe they the federation somehow advanced from Discovery to TOS in terms of tech and design?
If they could go from this in ENT to rainbow diodes, loose sweaters and wooden panels in TOS, then yes.

I'm not aware of anyone who has said that "it will be a faithful adaptation". I'm not even aware of anyone who says that it looks awesome.
The only thing people seem to be saying (myself included) is that it looks better than Discovery, and more like Star Trek than Discovery.

You also seem to be focussing a little too hard on the aesthetics. Discovery seems to be an super-amplified-electrified-let's-bring-it-to-the-future attempt at a thrill-ride. Same vein as the newer films, I guess, but I think most fans of the older series will tell you that for whatever their quality, they aren't very similar thematically.

And that's okay, because movies are different. At least half of the TOS and TNG films are shit, too. You're marketing towards a different crowd.
But for a new television series, they had the opportunity to gear it towards what Trek shows were, and they've decided not to go that route (at least, from everything I've heard/seen so far).

The Orville feels like a comedic love-letter to Trek in the same vein as Galaxy Quest - which was both an excellent parody and a great Star Trek movie. I highly doubt it'll be the same quality, but if it comes from the same thematic place then, to me, it looks better (for now) than Discovery. The trailer felt like the jokes that a bunch of Trekkies would tell after an episode of TNG, poking holes in some of the sci-fi logic but altogether having a great time and really loving that thing we call Star Trek.

I'll obviously be watching at least the pilots of each and seeing how each feels, maybe I'll watch both, maybe neither, maybe only one of them. I"m just saying at this point that I'm predicting The Orville is going to be more enjoyable to classic Trek fans than Discovery.

you're fucking retarded, honestly, if you even really watched startrek, you would know that in enterprise they explain that klingons appearances changed before the tos era due to a virus, considering discovery is set only ten years before, yet they look like goofy ape looking bluemen when they should look like regular men, it doesn't line up. And you're telling me that the jj verse level technology is meant to be inferior technology to the tech seen in tos? I never said I was a purist mate, but you're a fucking moron

>he wants the augment arc to be canon
Haha oh fucking wow. Now I know you're just a reddit tourist. Please literally kill yourself. I'm not even being figurative, I literally want you to end your own life because right now the oxygen you're consuming and even the space you're taking up is being wasted.

youtube.com/watch?v=z0xqaLLydlc

Little miss edgy is showing herself

Yeah, it's really about taking down Drumpf.

The level of tech in ENT looks way beyond TOS. The only thing they brought down was the power level of the weapons and warp drive on paper. Everything else looks more advanced.

>mate

Go make your own series and stop telling us how to do ours you limey faggot.

I would watch it if Seth wasn't in it

sure thing dude

Different user but ENT did a great job of eliminating the 60s campiness while also being as true as possible to the level of tech.
The ship even keeps the periscope, and it looks cheesy as hell. It works, though, because it's obviously there to keep the show in line with TOS.

it's almost as if you've got nothing better to do than refresh your browser and call someone a faggot all day

>Feels the need to defend the augments arc
That entire storyline was a cheap nostalgia gimmick used because ENT couldn't think of good storylines and is essentially on the same creative tier as TNG novels. Wanting the new show to squeeze itself into retarded continuity because the writers for ENT were lazy and stupid enough to think that Klingon foreheads were more interesting than the Romulan war is as bad as people who say that George Lucas should still be directing star wars movies after the prequels.

>The Orville feels like a comedic love-letter to Trek
You can call it that if you want but it's still not what I'm looking for in a serious Trek series. Maybe Discovery won't be either but I'm not going to base my judgement on anything without seeing at least a few episodes. I also don't know why people are acting like it's an either/or situation. I'm going to watch both and if I like both, I'll keep watching both for different reasons. If they suck, I won't watch either. Seems pretty cut and dry.

>I'm going to watch both and if I like both, I'll keep watching both for different reasons. If they suck, I won't watch either. Seems pretty cut and dry.
Well, yeah. I mean, that's pretty much how I ended the post you're replying to.

it's canon, I'm not defending it, stating a fact within the story

>refresh your browser
Did you know there's a little "auto" checkbox down there on the left, user?

The Big Bang viewer base will probably eat it up.

>when you can't actually support evidence for your arguments, so instead you resulting to shitposting like a 13 year old

Maybe some people are watching Trek for continuity and because they want all the storylines to connect somehow. I'm not and I never saw the reason. VOY and ENT both fucked up the continuity beyond repair. I just want a series where people go exploring and run into anomalies and the occasional hostile species. If a series delivers that, it already has my attention. Likewise if Discovery turns out to only focus on fighting Klingons with no room for exploring the unknown or just becomes a knockoff Expanse, then I'm going to lose interest. But I've always been wait-and-see when it comes to all Trek series.

yes, but my comment implies that even the 10 seconds it takes to refresh is too slow for the boy

do you get your reaction images from 9gag?

I sincerely hope this show embarrasses the shit out of Discovery.

I will support this simply to spite Discovery.

No, they're not. The closet one to a Trekker is Fuller and that shithead was a writer on voyager so fuck him.

jesus fucking christ

Are you guys seriously PRAISING the set lighting that is apparently the hallmark of a $105 million production budget?

Somehow the Dutch angle makes it so much worse.

Looks fine.