DragonBall adaptation

Here we go fags!

>series based off Dragon ball made in an adventure mystical king fu style similar to enter the Dragon, Big Trouble in little China
>Made by Netflix (only place it would work and everyone knows it)
>1st season based off Goku meeting Bulma and going on the adventure to find the dragon balls encountering Yamucha, Master Roshi and competing with the Red Ribon army to get the Dragon Balls
>finale is goku transforming and crushing the last of the RR army, Bulma, Rossi and Yaumcha team up with brain and brawn to figure out how to stop Gokus Oozaru rampage
>end scene is Goku and Yamcha going to train with master roshi and finding Krillin waiting at the island to also train
>season 2
>first half of season focuses on the worlds martial arts tournament, establishing Tien, Chaotzu, & turtle hermits rivalry with the Crane school
>Tien barely wins tournament
>2nd half is King Piccolo
>krillin and chaotzu murdered forcing Tien and goku to come together
>finale is Tien and Goku teaming up to end King Piccolo in a similar fashion with goku punching a hole through him and some egg laying
>all the dead wished back at the end
>season 3 opens with Goku approached by Kami to train in preparation for piccolo Jr. Tien is to impure to train with Kami/still an asshole
>early season episodes is training including Tien finding his center
>later and majority of the season episodes is the tournament ending with Goku victorious over JR
>goku gets married to ChIChi

Z obviously comes in later.

Shit rights itself. Just fucking put together a team that loves dragon ball and old mysticism/king fu movies.

Western audiences can't handle an authentic Dragonball live adaptation. Too many innocent sexual situations with young boys and girls meant for humor, but would be considered problematic here.

Yeah, and they couldn't handle an authentic DBZ adaptation because the west doesn't understand basic shonen concepts like resolving the plot in exactly the same way repeatedly until the death of the author

You act like the more provactive comedic situations happen constantly. They could easily write a lot of t out. Not all of the comedy is even perverse to begin with. Your argument holds no ground.

Must be hard having a 1st grade reading level

You do a movie franchise, not a television show. Jesus christ. Why is it so hard for people to get this right?

>adapting Dragonball

Yes, lets adapt the most unpopula and boring part of the series.

No.

Season 1 : History of Trunks

Season 2: Androids

Season 3 : Cell

would make tons of money.

Still don't understand why you kids wank off so fervently to Future Trunks bullshit

@86157836
Choosing not to read garbage =/= illiteracy, no wonder you're obsessed with Dragonball shit, you're a retard.

>Dragonball
>boring
>unpopular
casuals need to be beheaded

>An entire season of History of Trunks

kys

Yes.

12 episodes is enough time to :

Explain the world
Explain how the powers work
Build up the androids first reveal
Tease the more popular but dead in this timeline characters
Have the plot twist occur
Have the plot of him going back in time to fix it resolve

And it could be completely stand alone if it didn't work out.

The same reason why T2 is popular.

Dbz sucks shit compared to original DragonBall you plebian toonami kid

They tried a movie already and it was terribly embarrassing

House
CSI
Law and order
NCIS
Any show with a super genius lawyer/detective/author/mentalist

same plot every episode rinse and repeat

DBZ is where the money is. You only do a DB movie after you've sucked the Z money train dry.

You can't jump to Z because there is no context for any of the characters

Which is why you start with History of Trunks.

Is the best entry point to Z.

I started off with dragonball z but nobody in their right mind can think that dragonball z was a better show. it was action filled and badass, yeah. Nevertheless, the dragonball story is a lot more fleshed out with lots of great humour for all ages as well as MUCH less powerlevel bullshit

also
>shits on Dragonball and proceeds to think that an entire season of the History of Trunks is the way to go
>for SEASON 1
>not adapting at least the Sayan Saga

what a flamboyant faggot you are

No.

You cannot do the saiyan saga,

Dragonball is mega boring.

You can't start at the saiyans as it requires context from DBall. You'd have to spend too much time with exposition that could be used for the story that was there.

Meanwhile, via Trunk's training with Gohan you explain the powers, via his conversations about the world before the androids you can explain the world and characters.

>hey, let's make the first season be set in an alternate dimension
>hey, let's only tease the actual fucking main roster of the show

I have been on this board for quite a long time but never have I seen a shittier idea for a show. this shit would maybe work as a 4. or 5. season but first?

>Dragonball is mega boring.

have you actually ever watched DB? I could understand you not having watched it in a long time and therefore thinking the wrong thing but DB is a lot more enjoyable, trust me. funnily enough, I showed my two younger brothers the first episode of Dragonball today and both of them loved it and laughed a lot during the entire episode

>lots of natural humour
>great dialogues
>goku acting like a caveman
>interaction with bulma
>great action scenes

you are confusing the preferences of audiences here, mate. you are thinking that gritty is the way to go with Dragonball when the only constant factor has always been humour, which audiences all around the world love

>You can't start at the saiyans as it requires context from DBall

oh and you can start the show by using History of Trunks? what the fuck? that would literally require knowledge about dragonball AND lots of knowledge regarding DBZ

>Meanwhile, via Trunk's training with Gohan you explain the powers, via his conversations about the world before the androids you can explain the world and characters.

and how would an exposition not work in terms of the Sayan Saga? You would literally prefer tons of exposition over actually showcasing the story beforehand. You really don't know how proper shows work. One could surely give hints but explaining so much would be boring after a while

>hey, let's make the first season be set in an alternate dimension

Yes, people like post apocalyptic worlds. Most western DBZ fans love the androids saga.

Very easy to set up the faux plot being getting Trunks strong enough to fight with Gohan only for the plot twist finale being the time travel.

>ey, let's only tease the actual fucking main roster of the show

Yes, it would be better, Having a character like Vegeta being talked about as Trunk's late father, who was really strong, but died fighting the androids THEN being shown in season 2 would be much better. Then when he does stupid shit with Cell like letting him absorb the androids, it amplifies his personality.

> I seen a shittier idea for a show.

The best thing to do to have a successful, but faithful to the series Dragonball Z show either netflix or movie would be

History of Trunks, starting with Frieza vs Goku on Earth ending with Frieza vs Trunks

Androids saga to Cell

Cell Games

The most popular saga in the west, you avoid the mega boring Dragonball that western fans do not like, but you are able to be super faithful with a lower budget. No major CGI needed, all the characters are human, etc. Easy.

It would be easy to do, cheap to do with practical effects, faithful to the series and safe. It would be successful with western audiences and lead to more seasons.

Eventually you might get your precious Red Ribbon saga, but you don't NEED to have the RR saga in order for Androids to work!

>have you actually ever watched DB?

Its objectively less interesting than DBZ. Even Baby, from fucking GT, is more interesting

>natural humor

You mean japanese humor that doesn't translate to a western person?

>great action scenes

Not compared to Z.

>gritty

Androids, while darker, isn't gritty.

>constant factor being humour

Yes because DBZ the fighting show is known for humor in the west, who this show would be made for, sure.

>and how would an exposition not work in terms of the Sayan Saga?

Because there is no natural amount of time to explain:

Who is Goku. Why do they have powers, how do their powers work, who is Piccollo, why do people consider him to be bad guy, what are the rules of the universe, who are all these supporting characters.

When would you do it? Before Goku flys off to fight radditz? During Goku's training with King Kai?

There's no natural place for it.

But with Gohan and Trunks? You could easily have scene of Gohan teaching the audience through trunks how the powers work (similar to Gohan teaching Videl to fly). In the special there was various training parts.

You can easily and quickly give lip service to the dead main cast as Trunks is very likely to have asked Gohan how it went down. As a matter of fact, that's where you'd put the scene of the Z warriors dying.

> You would literally prefer tons of exposition

The only way you'd have tons of expositon is if you started at the saiyan saga. My way it naturally flows.

> over actually showcasing the story beforehand.

With your way you'd never GET to the good saga's, that shit would die off after Pilaf's shitty saga

> but explaining so much would be boring after a while
Yes, because I'm totally saying that Gohan is going to sit Trunks down and in detail graphically explain every major plot point for 30 minutes of the movie. No. It would be simple and could be said in a line or two about the Z Warriors, Vegeta, Goku. The only parts that would visually be shown would be the deaths of them.

You should be ashamed

>Yes, people like post apocalyptic worlds. Most western DBZ fans love the androids saga.

so you would start a show that has literally become famous due to its humour by making it edgy.... wow. you want the entire first season to be a Terminator 1 gimmick instead of providing people with an actual introduction to the main characters. that's not only cheap but a disgrace to the entire anime

also, you said so yourself, Dragonball Z is literally the most popular anime in the world. There really is no "faux plot" here when everyone knows the secret and the people who don't know can be spoilered by literally everyone who has every watched THE most popular DBZ saga

>you avoid the mega boring Dragonball that western fans do not like

Dragonball came first so a lot of people haven't actually seen it in its entirety. hell, even I didn't watch all episodes because DBZ was aired to hell and back. also, DBZ has so much filler and unnecessary powerwank that it's the inferior show from the get go. you are talking out of pure nostalgia ass here

>Even Baby, from fucking GT, is more interesting
>Baby
>better than anything

now I know your taste is outright bad

>guyze!!!! the first season should be mysterious and edgy!!!!
>the audiences shouldn't know anything!!!!!

it's like as if...... a show was there to actually tell a story. you are literally a lost and breaking bad baby who cannot watch a show unless it's filled with stupid cliffhangers and mystery subplots. go fuck yourself

>Who is Goku

HE'S LITERALLY THE MAIN PROTAGONIST OF LITERALLY ALL THE FUCKING SEASONS AND SHOWS. EVERYONE KNOWS THAT YOU FAGGOT

>has literally become famous due to its humor
Ah yes, because I remember getting home to watch Gohan kill Cell because of how fucking funny is was.

That humor shit, that *Japanese* humor shit only works in japan. There is no rhyme or reason why a western studio would take a Japanese brand and make it specifically for THEM. If they want it to have their humor and their culture, then they can make it themselves. DBZ in the west is effectively animated WWE. Muscle men boasting and fighting and power scaling.

Secondly, making it for the weebs, you know the ones who think that the Japanese music is good, the ones who watch it in Japanese, people who use SS and not SSJ, are not the target audience. Hell, they weren't even the main audience who watched the show in the west. 10 years ago Ironman wasn't a mainline superhero. Now he has the name recognition of Mickey Mouse and Superman. That was because they took a property that was popular with a niche, kept the things that the niche liked, but also made it acceptable to the general audience without sacrificing the niche.

If you wanted to make a successful (see good) DBZ movie, you'd have to understand why DBZ caught on in the West, make sure the movie delivers on that but also make it palatable to the general audience a la Avengers/Ironman. most western DBZ fans like DB as much as they like GT. We aint going there.

The main group this movie would be made for is the people who:

* Watched DBZ on toonami back in the day and loved it

* Like contemporary superhero films

* Are contemporary, western, non weeb, DBZ fans.

From there you could have multiple seasons.

> entire first season to be a Terminator 1 gimmick

Oh no, a really popular American movie that was referenced by the anime, better not use that fact to its fullest extent with a western audience!

> an actual introduction to the main characters.

I'll say it again, introducing Piccolo via Gohan telling Trunks about him being his former Master is better than having to go through all the bullshit of DB to get to Piccolo. Remember, western fans who like Piccolo don't like King Piccolo, or the Piccolo Jr Saga. They like Special Beam Canon, Frieza 2nd Form fighting, Android 17 fighting, Goten and Trunks training Piccollo.

>There really is no "faux plot" here when everyone knows the secret

The general audience, the people who the movie needs to be for the most, wouldn't. Remember, much like the ironman movies, the pre-existing fans are the secondary group, you need to focus on the primary group. New fans that can be made from the new media. Growing the fanbase over time is how you keep making money. New DBZ fans along side the old ones.

>Dragonball came first

In Japan, not the west. Again, you think a western studio is making a DB related thing for the East. That doesn't mean we have to go stupid like Evolution but holy shit, DBZ fans in the west like it for different reasons.

>a show was there to actually tell a story.

Showing a post apocalyptic world, the characters in it, how the people of the world who survived have adapted to it, the heroes who are fighting to save it, the villains who have destroyed it, and the female scientist researching to undo it all is tons of story. The only cliffhanger is him going to the past.

Of which since this is a good entry point and would be successful, would get a season 2 faster than Westworld did.

To people who already like the show. But unlike the Japs, we Americans know how to manage a brand. You need to bring in new people into the fanbase over time and not just appeal to old fans.

Case in point, nobody who doesn't already like DBZ/GT is watching Dragonball Super. There is no reason to.

You need to make it appeal to the old fanbase and be faithful to the source material while also appealing to people who would find DBZ cool for the same reasons that we do but haven't seen it yet and for the general action film audience, etc.

>1st season based off Goku meeting Bulma
no just no, i hate child actors unless theyre female and not for the obvious reasons. male child actors are horrible.

Dragonball Z was only that famous because Dragonball preceeded it. Seriously, how old are you? No, only the humour in Dragonball Z doesn't work all that well in the West even though it actually is quite funny. Dragonball's humour works everywhere because it is practical but I guess you don't know the show that well anyway

I am also very well aware of why DBZ got so famous in the West although you don't really get it which is apparent from all your comments. The West mindlessly loved DBZ because of all the insane powerlevel shit going on. And the focus here is on mindless because if anyone had given a second thought, they would all have understood that DBZ was full of filler shit

I honestly can't even answer all of your other shit because you really don't know how to adapt such a beloved anime without putting it to literal shame. it's cringeworthy, sorry

>Dragonball Z was only that famous because Dragonball preceded it

In Japan. In America DBZ started airing in 1998, DB in 2001. They tried airing DB in early 1990's in America and it never caught on.

Let me let you in on a little secret. Dragonball Z didn't just catch on because of its fight scenes or the large amount of testosterone it had in comparison to western superhero shows (even Batman TAS). No, DBZ like Sailormoon were localized. They removed as much of the Japan culture/humor from the show while keeping it what it is and as a result was able to make it more paletable.

Unfortunately what happened around the time GT ended and Naruto started is that they stopped localizing anime and only dubbed it. So a generation of weebs (see people who actually care about the culture of Japan) were created.

Localization = mass popularity in the US see Sonic, Pokemon, Dragonball Z, Yugioh, etc.

>literal shame

>upholding the best saga and adapting it faithfully within reason
>shame

XD

Dragonball Z has too much power wanking

Hormonal boys that need something to inspire them to feel badass isn't Netflix's demographic

Goku would be a nigger and you know it.

Better leave it as it is

Children action characters work in animation, they don't work live action.

goku solos capeshit
time for the normies to learn real power

Its one guy who thinks Trunks and Gohan are the most popular characters when anybody with a brain can tell its Vegeta and Goku

You would piss off so many people if you skipped Freeza. He's the most popular villain by far

Man this cunt should work for Sony. Alienating the fan base has always worked for adaptations right guys?

Dragon Ball is good and has great high points but oh man do people act so tryhard with the "DB >>>> Z I'm patrician you know!!" shit

DB was boring for about half of the show. A lot of his adventures were basically filler arcs. The people who spout its superiority are just being pretentious tryhards.

Z was also boring for half the show. I can't wait for Kai to clean up the Buu Saga

Z's highs were also monumentally better than DB's and Z was the show that made it world famous. DB and anime in general would be small time in the West if Z didn't exist.

After Kai the whole thing went to shit.

I dunno user I thought the fight choreography was a lot better in DB. But I'm just a pretentious tryhard so what do I know?

At least you have self-awareness. Already one-up on the rest of your lot.

I hope you're the history of Trunks autist because you could use some self awareness yourself

That was my first post in this thread, I've actually never got around to HoT yet. One of the few db related things I've never seen and I've been watching since the 90s.

Personally I think Trunks is decent but overrated, who I only reaaally liked during the cell saga and the other biggest db-related tryhard meme is "they shuda endid with freezeerr!"

he can play goku

Trilogy of movies. King Piccolo Saga, Saiyan Saga, Frieza Saga. Adding elements from other sagas to keep it consistent with the show.

Try to be as faithful to the anime as possible. Age Goku up to be a bit more relatable in the Piccolo Saga, but no highschool bullshit. Maybe make him 17 or 18.

Puppetry and effects from the Jim Henson Creature Shop. Think a more modern looking Dark Crystal in terms of visuals with brighter colors.

Really attempt to replicate the feeling of Dragon Ball in live action. Keep the setting and tone as close to the original as possible.

Title them:
Dragon Ball
Dragon Ball Z
Dragon Ball: The Frieza Saga

Maybe tease the cell saga at the end of the third movie as some fan service, but never follow up on it. I think a trilogy ending with Frieza would work the best structurally

alex trebek lookin mother fucker