DCs Contribution to television and Film

>First major superhero cartoon also nominated for Oscar.
>First major superhero TV show.
>First major superhero movie proving CBMs could be kino and Also the first one to win an Oscar
>First major superhero cartoon series to win Emmys
>First CBM to crack a billion, get the most most Oscar noms for a CBM and also the first one to win an Oscar for acting.

Whereas the MCU
> we put a bunch of heroes together on loosely based story arc connected by only post credit scenes and held together by quips

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=j73IkjslvoM
youtube.com/watch?v=u5Cdguyut8s
youtube.com/watch?v=dDMQ3tXNKgM
heroichollywood.com/zack-snyder-shares-look-creating-storyboard-deathstroke/
slashfilm.com/zack-snyder-reveals-watchmen-storyboards/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

MARTHA??

>Also the CBM with the greatest and long lasting memes.

So many oscars and Emmys. I wonder how many the MCU has?

This is just as important a contribution as the others in my opinion. Intentionally or not, they've given me untold hours of laughter and entertainment.

The biggest problem with Marvel is that they translated the worst things about the mainstream American comic industry into the film industry, with all the continuity bullshit taking over story quality, and "editorial" interference and committee decisions over artistic vision and creativity.
DC/WB tried to keep a more traditional movie making approach by giving directors the reins over the movies but they completely fucked up by having Snyder be the guy who did it.

Do any Marvel animated movies match up to Dark Knight Pt1&2, Under The Red Hood, Year One, etc?

>Dark Knight Pt1&2, Under The Red Hood, Year One, etc
Why would you pick these films when you have original content like Shadow of the Phantasm, Sub Zero and Return of the Joker. Going the adaptations route is what is killing WB animation. It's nothing but shit nowadays, on par with Marvel.

Because if there was anything on the level of Phantasm, I'd probably have heard of it.
Not looking for miracles here, just something half-decent.

They're still good IMO. Far better than anything Marvel has produced.

Gods and monsters was great. Watch the character shorts as well

I did, too bad it failed so they pretty much scrapped original films again, except for cashgrab garbage like Batman & Harley.

What about Marvel's oscars?

I genuinely liked Ironman 1 and parts of 2, but felt like they really fucked the MCU beyond that. If they let directors do what they want, I think the series could have been genuinely good. I was really excited about Egdar Wright's Ant-man, but he got booted off and we ended up with a sterile TV looking movie instead. Overall I think the way they handled Ironman in general is very telling.

>Wasted Demon in a Bottle in the third film in the fucking franchise
>Threw away Extremis as a b-plot
>Turned Tony in to a happy go lucky quip maker
>Threw away Civil War without killing Cap

It's more just a series of wasted opportunities that might appease normies, but long time Marvel fans are pissed.

Worst character introductions in history.

The current animated movies are all awful. The New 52 was a mistake.

There's no academy award for budget

>CBM
>continental ballistic missile
>cock and ball mutilation

>continuity bullshit taking over story quality
Hahahahahaha, writers ignore contuinity all the time

I feel exactly this same way. Marvel has good material. Disney refuses to treat it with anything remotely akin to respect. To them, it's all about the normiebux, and it's been that way for a long time.

Don't misunderstand. I know that any big budget filmmaker is in it for the money, but I think too many times Disney's more interested in being inoffensive than trying to tell a compelling story. It's like they've forgotten that when you strip away all the bells, whistles, cheap laughs, and big explosions, there's got to be a compelling story there.

I'm actually wondering if the brand is starting to sour on the public's taste a bit. Homecoming, despite having the best, most relatable and compelling villain they've ever had, was an incredibly safe, risk-averse story.

Just because they do a shitty job, but you can't ignore than comic book writing is driven mostly by continuity, and that's why they need to do retcons and reboots and bullshit like that instead of simply telling a new story.

I am pretty sure Nolan, Spielberg and Cameron have proved beyond doubt you can make original blockbusters and still make money.

Heck MCU has made billions paying it safe would it hurt them to make one experimental movie.

Heck even warnerbros gave Nolan a big budget for Dunkirk as a thank you for previous hits.(he turned that into a massive hit as well so there's that).

Disney just hires TV directors who are just happy to be there. The big ones that they do hire won't be making original films with Disney. Pixar is the the only worthwhile studio in Disney and the biggest loss to the industry is that we lost Pixar to those hacks.

>original
Well, it depends on what you mean by original. These filmmakers are actually quite conservative and traditional, and the stories and film language they use in their movies are anything but original, maybe with the exception of some of the earlier works of Spielberg, which were somewhat groundbreaking.
Cameron only implemented some technical innovations, and Nolan not even that.

At this point by "Original" I mean not mind numbingly generic and derivative as marvel. It doesn't have to be unique.

I used those directors as example because though they might not Kubrick or Tarkovsky they do at least make some elements of the film unique or innovative.
For Nolan I would say Dunkirk(the only similar war movie I could think of s Thin red line) and memento were quite unique and even Batman Begins did something with the genre that hadn't been done before.

DC also invented a technique that's still alive today called rotoscope

DC Comics didn't even exist in 1915.

DC is based as fuck. They have the best comics, best animations and best films. Marvel is generally for kids and nu-males.

youtube.com/watch?v=j73IkjslvoM
youtube.com/watch?v=u5Cdguyut8s
youtube.com/watch?v=dDMQ3tXNKgM
how can marvel even compete

>that alex ross aesthetic
I thought Ross was working for Marlel now, has he done anything worth of mention? I know what Waid is doing and I don't want to talk about it

>Do any Marvel animated movies match up to Dark Knight Pt1&2, Under The Red Hood, Year One, etc?
Hulk vs Wolverine and the Ultimate Avengers movies

I am so fucking hype for this movie.

DC were around longer so... also marvel are changing (have changed) the whole cinematic dynamic by introducing a shared universe that everyone even DC are trying to copy

Justice league dark was fantastic imo

>that image though
batman is nothing without his rogues gallery

you do know whedon has his sticky fingers all over it right?

>implying anybody would be hyped by Snyder

Zack has the legal right to release a Director's Cut according to the Director's Guild. If he botches it too much, maybe Zack will pull another Ultimate Cut on us?

That bottom right is a... painting?

this is DC

SHUT IT DOWN GOY

this is marvel

Yes, a digital one, which are 100 times easier to make than actual paintings. All you need to do is get a bunch of dudes behind computers to do what you just doodled for them.

>Justice league dark was fantastic imo
A complete hack job, terrible animation, a stupid plot, wasted potential and butchery of characters. Just like the comic it was based on!

It is capekínographé.

>complete hack job
i feel you're over reacting a tad there senpai

>terrible animation
it was serviceable but yeah

>a stupid plot
A supernatural detective plot with a twist i didnt see coming... it was decent imo

>wasted potential and butchery of characters.
I dont read comics so cant give an opinion but what was so bad about it?

wtf... context?

Batman never believing in the occult, John Constantine acting like Harry Potter, and so much other shit. Terrible characterization all around.

They're so beyond mediocre.

How can DC animation compete?

It fucking should be.

It also cracks me up when brain lets bitch about Snyder just "lifting panels" from the comics, when this is one of the most iconic images in the film and it's all his, from storyboard to screen.

I'm sorry DCuck, Snyder could have each frame painted by michelangelo and the story would still be garbage.

I'm sorry MCUck that you're visually illiterate unable to process the frame as part of the story.

Visuals dont count for shit if the product is hollow you dumb fuck

SHAZZAAAAM

It's not hollow. There is nothing in the field with as much substance. Can you think of anything?

>dude martha
yeah, thats a lot of substance. winter soldier had a deeper message than bvs

You watched a movie where Lex Luthor nearly gave the government Superman on a leash, and since you're too stupid to incorporate the visuals into the narrative, interpret all the taunts Lex laid down, and put two and two together, you won't believe any of it until you read it on a website five or so years from now.

>winter soldier had a deeper message than
Not him but this sentence is false no matter how it ends

WS is a political thriller more than a cbm and deals with the ever infringing government on personal freedom, yes its a lot deeper than bvs

The story doesnt do the visuals justice. You can paint the most beautiful painting of a turd; its still a turd at the end of the day

Marvel is making light hearted movies with some serious and dark moments but DC, mostly Snyder and Nolan, is making dark and gritty movies with some light hearted moments. Guess which the audience likes better.

>and it's all his, from storyboard to screen.
Source? Big budget movies like this aren't storyboarded by the directors themselves.

>WS is a political thriller
jej I'll read the rest someday, don't worry

>and since you're too stupid to incorporate the visuals into the narrative, interpret all the taunts Lex laid down, and put two and two together
?

Snyder storyboards his own movies. He's something of a painter too, from what I understand.

>Guess which the audience likes better.
Counting Nolan? DC without a shadow of doubt. I think the DCEU has a higher domestic average than the MCU and it would have a higher global one too had Suicide Squad been released in China

>All those references to the number 2.
I'm onto you, Dent.

Only Spiderman's gallery can compete.

I asked for a source, retard.

>R-Rated Carnage movie never ever
Haha yeah fuck you Mickey

>xenophobia and hating muslims make any media good
proof that all these snydercucks are Sup Forums retards

heroichollywood.com/zack-snyder-shares-look-creating-storyboard-deathstroke/

Looks like he's going over someone else's storyboard

God damn. Is your reading comprehension really that bad? If someone makes a movie painting the Catholic Church as the bad guy, in your head, does that translate to "all Catholics are evil?"

Now just drop The Dark Knight from that equation and you get an idea of the more recent picture.

slashfilm.com/zack-snyder-reveals-watchmen-storyboards/

>calls out Islam
>casts a Jew as Wonder Woman
>casts a secret Muslim as Batman
(((Based)))

So Marvel introduced the most cancerous gimmick that is killing the movie industry right now? And they didn't even invent it. And Marvel has had cartoons since the 60s and movies since the 80s, yet have never accomplished nothing like what thr OP says.
Also, you are retarded if you think the MCU is innovating in any way or form. If anything they will run the whole genre to the ground with fucking three capeshit movies a year, six with the X-men stuff.

They have a higher per-film average at the box office *without* Nolan. Including the Nolan trilogy would only widen the gap.

How about I drop the Avengers from the equation too you dishonest cuck. Also I meant DCEU as in the cinematic universe, from Man of Steel to Wonder Woman

So he basically copies comic books?
Also it's clear the new storyboard wasn't made by him, he draws like a 13 year old.

Lazy criticism. That's actually a pretty important thematic scene.

>If anything they will run the whole genre to the ground with fucking three capeshit movies a year,
Don't worry, DC is catching up with them

>WS is a political thriller more than a cbm and deals with the ever infringing government on personal freedom
You can't be serious right now. Maybe you should watch real political thrillers so you know how retarded that statement was.

>Aquaman is the only DC movie to be released in 2018
Nah, DC won't be the ones to kill capeshit.

It's actually pretty common in political thrillers to have a nazi evil scientist turn himself into a computer from the 60s and then explain the whole bad guys' plan to the main character for no reason moments before blowing up for no reason, actually.

Stop moving the goalposts, faggot.

It will be Fox or Sony. Those greedy cunts want a piece of the capeshit pie even though their respective universes are just not interesting or complex enough to warrant a cinematic universe. Sony wants to make a Black Cat movie without Spider-man, Fox wants to make a Dr. Doom movie without the Fantastic Four or any other hero. Fuck them.

>And they didn't even invent it.
who did?

Universal with the Monster movies or even Toho with their kaiju movies.

how can marvel animation even compete

Justice League unlimated, Batman Beyond and of course BTAS are all DC kino

>WB won't hear my pitch about a live action The Man Who Killed Batman movie because I'm not jewish
How do you cope with these feels bros?

I cope by posting anti semitic memes on Sup Forums and denying the Holohoax.

Dude, they release fewer CMBs *combined* than Disney does. Disney fully intends to milk its newest cash-cow dry. Stop for a moment and really think about how many movies from the MCU are absolute filler, all so they can angle toward Infinity War.

There are six stones. Fourteen movies, and no, there are absolutely at least three to five of those movies that you could cut with a tighter, more focused narrative. If anyone kills CMBs, it's going to be Disney.

Hell, they could have ret-conned Raimi Spider-Man into their films without so much as missing a beat, but instead, we got the resoundingly mediocre Himecoming, because Disney likes to pretend the audience is too stupid to keep two different Spider-Men straight after we've had five decades of James Bond.

This gave me so, so many feels.

Aren't you forgetting a kino? justice league action is kino too

But at least they are competently made and the masses like the brand. Sony on the other hand only releases shit movies and I doubt their spider-man cinematic universe without spider man is going to be any different. In any case, they will at least fuck themselves over if not the entire genre so at least that's good.