Whether you call it CalArts or something else...

Whether you call it CalArts or something else, you've gotta admit this sort of style is cancer to cartoons and an affront to decent character design itself.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=lKi34AGMVlI
youtu.be/L0kg_tzQvf4
youtube.com/watch?v=FL-bmm2ikI0
youtube.com/watch?v=-n91lSO0wJQ
youtube.com/watch?v=6cxzglegBmw
youtube.com/watch?v=XUYeRpmXLDk
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Its cute, fuck off

Why is the ear a different skin tone and also a zero?

That's hideous and the style doesn't communicate anything other than "look I can copy what I see"

I probably feel that way because it doesn't appeal to me

I'm fucking sick of this """"cute"""" excuse.

His ears are gangrenous.

tumblr

Its only flaw is how simple it is to recreate and how popular it is. I wouldn't say it's any worse than FOP's or Camp Lazlo's art styles or anything. The problem is more that a lot of cartoons don't look incredibly distinct, at least not to the extent that they used to. Although Dexter, Samurai Jack and Dexter always felt similar to me. But the diference is they really premote giving characters wildly different proportions and changing how they move and interact with one another.
All in all, it's not an instant turn off but it is a very overused type of character design.

Isn't it because it easier to animate or some excuse like that?

>Although Dexter, Samurai Jack and Dexter always felt similar to me.
and they all look like dexter

I'm not sure if it's the cancer or the symptom. The reality is that the plot lines and storytelling of most cartoons do not call for an art style that is more demanding than your example. Why waste that time perfecting a design, when every shot is set up like a stage play, and the humor is based on reaction faces?

I agree. This just proves that the industry is full of copycats and all these shitty animator wannabes are just as bad. And all the people that are defending this shit are mad because their AT clones are being criticized.

There's nothing wrong with having sleek and easy to draw designs. Almost every cartoon does it. But it's got to appealing both design and color-wise.

The artist in OP's image placed far too much emphesis on rounded angles instead of giving a good visual contrast between that and straight lines. Everything is round except for the hair and it looks like shit.

Not to mention the ear has no reason to be a completely different color unless it has a purpose for standing out. Like if it was cut off and sewn back on, or it's a poorly drawn communicator. It's a waste of time making a minor detail of the body seperate if it leaves no impact.

Like says, people only really seem intrested in keeping it just minimalistic enough to draw a funny face and call it a day.

And the sad truth is that these people will probably get paid more than artists that actually understand how to draw simple but effective cartoons, like Katie Rice or Anthony Clark.

It is cancer and we need to get rid of it to make Tex Avery stop turning in his grave.

Remember this, it will save your life one day.

Whoever made this image is giving me cancer

>tiny toons
>not outsourcing
Come on, man.
youtube.com/watch?v=lKi34AGMVlI

Why, it's not cancer.
TMS was not outsourcing, Akom & Wang were however.

As long as it triggers Sup Forums it's fine in my book.

Man, ain't it kind of sad when you can look back at Hanna Barbera and honestly say it looks better?

This might be cheating because based Toth but
But come on man, these characters moved at like two frames a second so they just actually went through the effort of making them look good as still images and was probably cheaper to do so than the kind of rigged toonboom puppet the op was designed in mind for.

Why can't cartoon character designers actually do this shit anymore outside of like, the people from titmouse?

What's with the fucking ear?

I found the artist, his name is David Maingault.

youtu.be/L0kg_tzQvf4

>mfw this was probably made for five cents an episode and still looks more visually engaging than the shit animators muster up these days

Fucking how?

People just aren't learning how to draw anymore.

Ed Benedict was excellent, and only the very early Hanna Barbera TV stuff ran at two frames a second.

>Not knowing that Hanna Barbera use to do Tom & Jerrys at MGM before moving into TV animation.

Dexter and Samurai Jack were made by the same person, so of course there's similarities in the visual style.

What's really troubling is seeing a bunch of different creators all gravitate toward the same thing.

I'm sure there's some people who don't like Joe Murray or Butch Hartman's style, but they're at least their own.

These are the fine arts students, who have been pretentious shits since before animation was a viable career.

I've never seen the animation course that didn't mandate life drawing and technical drawing.

Cleanup artist fag here.

It's pretty much because almost everyone in the artwork development clique in California is an actual manchild.
Seriously, they're so insulated in their little hipster clique and they all draw from the same influences, and there are only so many people working on TV animation. Like, I'm not talking /r9k/ robot tier autistic, I'm talking pretentious university yuppie that hasn't grown out of a teenager mentality autistic. I've had the displeasure of leering into their world and... and jesus christ, these people are so far up their ass and post modern irony that it's just impossible to communicate with them, which luckily I dont, most of the time.

All the real talent in animation work on movies or commercials or just move to Korea to actually have a chance to do their job for shit thst doesn't want to make them burn their degree.

You really don't know how bad things are, there are people in charge of visual development who just do not know how to draw. They just actually do not know how to draw at a professional level but they still get hired anyway because the spots need to be filled and the show runners gotta be cronies with their college friends.

I've also had a friend of mine bullied out of the studio they were working at for not humorist their liberal shit. Like, it wasn't even warranted, she was just more focused on her work, but because she wouldn't hop on board some shill are circle jerky discussion they pretty much made her a target and made her life hell.

California is a fucking wretched place and entertainment in general needs to get the fuck out of that state. It's no wonder that the only studios worth a shit artistically operate outside of it.

The thing with HB cartoons after a certain point is that they're absolutely gorgeous before the actual animation and color happens. More often than not I find myself appreciating the work they put into the backgrounds, the character designs themselves, and the intro. That shit looks good.
youtube.com/watch?v=FL-bmm2ikI0
youtube.com/watch?v=-n91lSO0wJQ
youtube.com/watch?v=6cxzglegBmw
youtube.com/watch?v=XUYeRpmXLDk

>bullied out of the studio they were working at for not humorist their liberal shit. Like, it wasn't even warranted, she was just more focused on her work, but because she wouldn't hop on board some shill are circle jerky discussion they pretty much made her a target and made her life hell.
huh

Man, Hong Kong Phooey was great. Kind of surprised it never got a shitty reboot.

It's not just animation, illustrative commercial art in general is in a rut despite the technological improvements.

A friend of mine's dad used to make movie posters and is pretty much out of work now since everything, even animated movie posters, are just in house photoshop jobs.

Movie posters used to be so fucking great

Interesting take on Grendel. Obviously inspired by the 2007 film but with it's own twist

Hi, Famicom.

Even shit that wasn't that impressive technically was still usually really cool

I know right? Check this one out.

People probably saw this poster and thought "There's no way this could be bad!"
Let's just say those people are no longer with us.

I miss when movie posters could actually end up being better than the movies they were made for

That is not from Famicom, don't pin point.

>THE WASP WOMAN
What??? Alright, this I gotta see. Thanks user

Full disclosure, the movie sucks and the wasp women just have dumb fly heads, and aren't there for most of the movie. The poster is completely misleading.

That post was not from the handsome and rugged prophet of animation known as Famicom.

but why?

But look at that poster!

Nigga Life and Times of Tim is a good fucking show and it was supposed to look like shit, it was based on a short film made by an ad executive who was bored

That is 100% false, Avatar is better then Tim.

The guy is autistic and delusional, just ignore him like most people do.

No he is not, it's you that is autistic and delusional, seek help.

That's like comparing Apples to Oranges.

And of course it's better, but ones a comedy and the other is an action show

There's just something so self assured and smug about this artstyle that I cant really pinpoint, but it drives me nuts.

No, JM tried but failed, who ever did Tim should of never been in animation in the first place.

Wheres Eric Goldberg were you need him?

This is my problem with a lot of "The art style is simple!" modern day excuse. Cartoon styles have ALWAYS been simple, but for some reason, the rules of appeal and design have been thrown out the window in favor of misusing the "geometric shape" rule. The Angry Beavers were basic shapes, but they still worked. Same for Ren & Stimpy, Dexter's Lab, Rocko's Modern Life, even cartoons as old as The Jetsons had really simple potato bodies and tube arms+legs, but there were subtle differences that made them appealing.

I tried to do a quick drawing to explain what I mean.
>Don't make the body a "ball on ball" "perfect 8" shape. "Curves and Straight" is a very popular old Disney drawing technique to make poses look stronger and more pleasing to the eye, because you get to see the form, which is the curve, and the power of the pose, which is the straight.
>Avoid even tube legs and arms. Even Powerpuff Girls had their arms and legs "droop" like they were socks with coins inside of them. It follows into the asymmetrical principle where uneven things are much more appealing than even things.
>That ear sticks out. You have a flow going with the hair and head and it stops dead when it gets to the ear because the ear is not flowing with the skull, again, it's a perfect shape. It's also giant and colored different, it's AS big as the eyes so now the eyes and ears are fighting for your attention. Your attention should have been drawn to the eyes first, then hair, then body, but the ear is snatching it away and making you go, "Eeuughh". Fuck, you could leave the color like that if you wanted, but make it significantly smaller.

These aren't laws of design, and in fact cartoons can break them effectively and pull them off. But the people who HAVE done them successfully are just being aped and copying them without understanding why they work, they only see Finn and Jake's noodle arms and go, "Oh, so I can draw noodle arms, huh?".

Again, the creator of Tim never really cared for animation, he just made a short film and HBO commissioned three seasons worth of shows. Which are also critically acclaimed.

Are You autistic?

Bribed, just like Avatar.

You're delusional, seek help.

Why would anyone be bribed over a cartoon?

Also TMS a shit

And no, I'm not autistic.

It's not the cartoon itself, it's the awards and acclaiming that is bribed.

Also TMS is not shit, Tokyo Kids (now Wao World due to being absorbed) is shit but not Telecom.

I'll be going to calarts soon, I hope they don't force people to make this kind of art. I just want to do my own thing.

Hell, I don't even like the cartoony style, what I make looks like realism with a tiny bit of anime (just on eyes, everything else is quite realistic ), so for me seeing that most people from calarts make this faggoty round-edge bullshit is very upsetting.

Just makes me feel used, like, why force me to learn this much about the human form of most people make kids shows that look subpar.

How does it feel to be an autist satisfied by the foulest crap because it suits your simple mind and is "cute" ?

that pic isnt yours is it? because it looks like something straight out of scott pilgrim

That's because it's not an ear, it's a vagina.

It's a sort of style that comes from graphic design + illustration. Just go look at Vimeo. But you need to have a good eye to make the geometry look good - even tough it's simple to make, it's also simple to screw up. That's probably why it doesn't work that much for big animation projects where work is divided up among multiple animators who probably can't replicate the touch.

This, Gumball does this style EXTREMELY well. Part of it is because they keep the "graphic design" aspect of it into the animation. Shows like Clarence try and have these graphic designs but then animate them in a hand-drawn way and as a result, Clarence looks like a penis more than half the time in several poses throughout the show..

>Then Filmation made it bad.

Really, you're going to blame Filmation? I'm pretty sure Hanna-Barbera is more to blame than Filmation and even then both had legit reasons why they cut corners.

fuck I hate this style, it's all over France too, just look at Les Kassos, and they even tried to force it on the new season of Zig&Sharko, I can't wait for this fad to end

>ITT: Faggots who never heard about Toonboom and vectorial drawing

Nice drawing. Reminds me of Brian o malley style, but a little more thin (?)
Btw, isn't that Hazel girl from "Seconds" ? Looks a lot like her, desu

>imypling toonboom is the reason people draw shitty

No it's an example. I won't post my art, i have nothing on my phone to post. Any way, I want to do stuff that's like "Ghost in the Shell" and not that shitty cartoon stuff. Don't get me wrong I like cartoons, I just don't want to do more of the same. You know?

I want make adult stories, I don't want to make family entertainment.

Bill and Joe did nothing wrong, the stuff from Ed Benedict and Dick Bickenbach was excellent, It was not until Joe Ruby, Ken Spears and Iwao Takamoto that made the studio jump shark (AFTER Filmation was founded) and that only because Bill and Joe were running out of ideas.

YOU ARE MAKING BOB CLAMPETT TURN IN HIS GRAVE! Please leave, your type is not welcomed here.

Also if you are not using animation for what it was made for then you might as well do it in live action, end of story.

I just want to mention, I know I may sound tryhard when I say stuff like that, but I really do want to explore adult concepts. If I'm gonna make animation, I want to be different and profound, not fucking adventure time copy #5038.

I think that's a fairly realistic goal, and an honorable one too.

Please read as it will save your life one day.

ugh could you literally not and just fuck off please?

Not do what, I'm on topic.

Yeah, people like you ruined the industry. Art doesn't have to be " shit for fat-ass amerifags" who would consume even the most mediocre content. I like cartoons, but people can't stay kids forever. Just like a child, an artist needs to grow, and adult animation is that exactly.

And live action is not an answer, animation is not bound by the rules of life action, it is objectively better.

From my experience, most students who come into animation trying to make "adult" stories in an uncartoony style lack actual maturity and churn out boring moralistic tales about big concepts they think are deep. "Junkyard" is probably my prime example.

No, it's people like you that are ruining the industry as we don't wan't Filmation garbage.

We want Avery & Clampett gold, just like Toshihiko Masuda & Kenji Hachizaki want.

Your opinion is, well it's exactly what it is, AN OPINION.

You have a small mind when it comes to this. Cartoons are fine, but the fact that you say this makes you sound like an idiot.

It is not a opinion, it is A FACT!

Please leave, you're making Tex Avery turn in his grave.

Well, to be fair, the main problem with animation is that usually the animation is the best part about it, and the actual writing and directing are mediocre, rendering that animation a complete layer filler instead of a stylistic choice that works in conjunction with the plot to create a well rounded good experience.

Same thing happens with artsy fartsy directors who go full retard on set design or with shot composition, these things are important but ultimately you're just going to be doing the equivalent of dangling really pretty keys in front of someone's face.

Personally I believe the strength of animation as a medium is thst it creates more believable immersion to less believable or outright impossible things that couldn't be done in live action. This doesn't mean animation needs to suck warner brother disney dick forever and be a bunch of art college student vomit, it just means that the stories you can tell can go more out there without the audience thinking it's not convincing. Heck, king of the hill is a good example, it's basically a normal sitcom, but because it's a cartoon it can go that little extra mile that makes it more memorable than other similar shows in terms of both presentation and actual content. If you did king of the hill in live action it would just be kind of cheesy.

The kind of people who think the height of animation is stuff like paprika need to fuck off and watch perfect blue instead. That's a masterpiece of editing you can only do in animation. That's the other major strength of animation, it's absolute control over editing. The shit you can do with that is undescribable.

>ugh could you literally not and just fuck off please

That's not what I want to do, I don't fear childish content, I fear doing nothing but childish content.

I'm not a fucking preacher, I'm an animator. I don't want to make shows oriented at kids for the rest of my life.

>“Critics who treat 'adult' as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.”

Fuck you and more importantly fuck your heroes. The world owes neither of you anything.

Dude, we have already debunked that, theres thing you do in animation and thing you do in live action.

What you are talking about can ONLY be done in live action, leave my industry, please.

>Before the Shark there was the Whale

what does that even mean?

How do you know what Tex Avery would want? How do you know that Tex Avery was even right? His opinions are his own just like yours and mine.

Is it hard for you to understand that not everyone is happy with the current situation in the American animation industry?

It's completely valid for me and many other people to want something more. People should see animation as something profound, not just entertainment.

I'm not saying it can't be entertainment, I'm just saying its underdeveloped compared to film and other art mediums.

No, fuck you and your delusional self.

Seek help.

It sounds like eastern european stuff wich is often considered depressing, but is actually very self aware and full of weird humour. It's just that americans presume that other cultures are constantly sincere in their doings (uh.. like the gangam style phenomenon).

What the hell is your problem, dude? No really, what are trying to say?

All good and nice. But at the end of the day, if your content is at the mercy of a network that targets itself at kids, who can not handle certain topics, you don't have true freedom. Is asking for creative freedom really being immature? Animation should be allowed to be for adults only just as much as it's allowed to be for everyone, like every single media in existance.

Early Flintstones had great animation, 'specially considering how low frame it was.

Too bad I don't have any gifs.

Dude, you don't have to treat kids like their idiots. They'll get it. If I'm honest, Gravity Falls and Steven Universe have a more mature story then pretty much most "adult" shows I've ever seen.

Too bad you'll likely shit on them because this is Sup Forums AND you seem to have your head up your ass. Oh well.

>Animation should be allowed to be for adults only just as much as it's allowed to be for everyone,

Capitalism 101 kid: if there's no market for it, you don't make it. And there's obviously no market for "adult" animation other than Sausage party tier gross out shock humor animation.

So yes animation in the west will be for kids. If you don't like it move to japan and draw tits for the rest of your life.

Tex has always been right and those were not opinions, they facts.

Only because TV is CalArts flat and lifeless and features are all CG.

Things like Popeye The Sailor Meets Sinbad The Sailor, Red Hot Riding Hood and The Great Piggy Bank Robbery are profound.

Holy shit I used poor wording, I'm typing this on a phone, don't be an artist I'm not a 12, I'm just upset that my efforts is not appreciated. Christ you people.

Nobody wants ban cartoons, some people just want more out of the medium.

My point is "adult" animation is JUST ANIMATION. If you think making something "adult" instantly qualifies it and makes it "better" or something aimed for kids is instantly inferior, then you won't do any good for the medium. You'll only make it worse.

EXACTLY!!!!

I just want to make fun and awesome stories for adult audiences!

I'm not a try hard, I just don't want to make more adventure time copies.