When does this get good? I'm a couple issue in and pretty bored so far

When does this get good? I'm a couple issue in and pretty bored so far.

Other urls found in this thread:

multiversitycomics.com/annotations/hellboy-reading-order-2016/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Read B.P.R.D. instead.

Seed of Destruction is very different than later in the style of writing. I would at least try reading up through A Christmas Underground to get a feel for it.

not OP but i read the first volume of brpd and just had no interest in continuing.

Seed of Destruction was scripted and co-plotted by John Byrne. Wake the Devil is a better introduction to Hellboy.

if you don't like it by the first then its probably not you thing, same goes for bprd and that has even less of mignola's art

I'm surprised the cult of Hellboy that posts on Sup Forums hasn't shown up to shit on OP for suggesting this isn't the greatest piece of literature ever written.

>Seed of Destruction was scripted and co-plotted by John Byrne. Wake the Devil is a better introduction to Hellboy.
This

Seed of Destruction is really wordy compared to when Mignola handles the writing himself for the rest of the series

>I'm surprised that my imaginary boogieman isn't attacking OP over his opinion, using the imaginary arguments that I think that they would use! How can I feel superior now?

I didn't like the early stiff much myself, but I assure you it gets a lot better as it goes on.

Vol 1 is done in a different style than the rest. It can be skipped.

Turns out a lot of people didn't like Seed of Destruction all that much.

>boogieman

>reading the first volume of a spin-off on its own

Why would you think this was a good idea?

BPRD is a better read than Hellboy and works perfectly fine on its own.

The first volume of which is also very strange and weird if I recall correctly a lot of guest talent early on in BPRD

> a lot of guest talent early on in BPRD

Yeah I don't think Guy Davis becomes the main guy until the Plague of Frogs story arc

It may work fine, but it really takes away from the experience of finally seeing the regular BPRD guys getting fucked over after you're used to the heavy-hitters doing things.

I disagree only because BPRD is such a strong force of developing the people in the book into amazing fantastic layered characters.

>Wake the Devil is a better introduction to Hellboy.
Where should I go from there?

People make bad choices, I know a few people that started reading from the Chronological Mignolaverse storytimes.

>BPRD is a better read than Hellboy and works perfectly fine on its own.

Excepted that the entire setting make little sense if you don't know Hellboy story, since it is inherently linked with the BPRD own existence and the entire purpose of their fight against the old gods eldritch monstrosity find its origin with Hellboy own herculean quest to find his purpose in existence and his ensuing struggle to assume it, amidst countless otherworldly being who only seek their own good and try to manipulate the situation to their favor.

Imo both are great read but for entirely different reasons, and one shouldn't overlook one or the others.

That isn't true though at least up to this point the two stories aren't actually tied together.

In the slightest.

Can someone answer this?

I just bought all the Library Editions. I'm going in deep with no knowledge.

multiversitycomics.com/annotations/hellboy-reading-order-2016/

Chronologically

hellboy is overrated af
mignola is an amazing artist
i think i agree on BPRD being superior.

> Excepted that the entire setting make little sense if you don't know Hellboy story

I started with BPRD and read all of the Plague of Frogs cycle before going to Hellboy. You're wrong

>buying the Library Editions of a comic you've never read

Damn, you're either stupid or rich

If you mean the big HC aside from Hollow Earth and War on Frogs it isn't isn't really worth it. After that it is really pretty greaf.

>BPRD is a better read than Hellboy
I disagree
the smaller scale of Hellboy's story resonates with me more, while BPRD just drags on and on with the same status quo arc after arc, there's some great character work, but the overall plot just gets so stale

They're only $30.

>BPRD
>the same status quo

U wot?

I almost stopped with Seed of Destruction. Wake the Devil is a lot better, and it keeps getting better as it goes. Conquerer Worm is legit fantastic, it's one of the few books that, when I finished it, turned it right back over and read it again.

Can we discuss hellboy in hell and how perfect of an end it is?
I am scared someone will ruin it.

I keep thinkimg about doing a storytime on Sup Forums but I lack some issues and I don't have time.

Maybe around Christmas, but I don't know

>I am scared someone will ruin it.
Like who?

Wake the Devil is more in tone with the rest of the series. Seed is still good but suffers because Mike just did an outline and Byrne did a lot of filling.

I'd recommend reading some short stories of Hellboy first though, like Chained Coffin and shit. Seed is mostly important because certain characters come back later on.

Is there a good reading order somewhere? Do the Library editions overlap with the BPRD stuff?

see

Damn, nice. That's a lot. Seems cool though.

It's never going to get better, you just don't like it. Don't try to force yourself to read something you don't like.

A friend of mine borrowed the first Library edition, stalled out on the Byrne stuff.
It took me a bit of arm twisting to get him to take another crack at it, but now he's tearing through Hellboy.

The whole Mignolaverse is about 300 issues. It's well worth it, imo. However, you can save the spinoffs for later if you want, or ignore them completely (they're still good tho).

Hellboy vol. 1-6 (LE 1-3)
Plague of Frogs omnis 1-3
Hellboy vol. 7-10 (LE 4-5)
Plague of Frogs omni 4
Hellboy vol. 11-12 (LE 6)
Hellboy in Hell 1-2
BPRD Hell on Earth 1-15

Is a decent order to start out with. The series gives you a lot of freedom to pick your order. For example, I read all of Hellboy first and then read all of BPRD afterward.

>I read all of Hellboy first and then read all of BPRD afterward.
That's what I was planning on doing. I was just wondering if there's any overlap or spoilers if I do it that way? Sounds like BPRD is pretty self contained.

Somebody in Hellboy mentions that he missed the ordeal with the frogs but that's about it iirc

Ok, good. Pretty excited to start reading this shit.