>Victor FRIES - Dr. Freeze
>E. NYGMA - Riddler
>HARLEN QUINZEL - Harley Quinn
>Julian DAY - Calendar Man
>Ted cARSON - Firefly
>Hugo STRANGE
>Maxmillian ZEUS
>Dumfrey and Deever TWEED - Tweedledum and Tweedledee

Seriously, they should have stopped with the on-the-nose names after Crisis on Infinite Earths, back in the 80s, don't you think? I can't justify adults reading stories about villains with these names, sorry.

Why bother removing "kid stuff" like the underwear above the pants if you're gonna keep the stupid names?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Julian_calendar
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Because stories about super powered men in tights punching bad guys with giant robots are inherently silly. Trying to remove the camp from it entirely is like trying to remove the eggs from a cake that's already been baked.

Also I think the trunks should come back

Sure, but why try to complicate their stories by adding stuff like segregation, racism, rape, sex then? They should keep it for kids if they don't wanna truly rewrite it.

I never said they're only for kids, I said they inevitably have camp. You can still use that style of story telling to tell complex and deep stories. The best example of this off the top of my head is Flex Mentallo.

>DUMfreey and DEEver TWEED

You fucked this one up.

And possibly...
>JULIan DAY

I thought Riddler was originally named Edward Nashton? And at least we had another Firefly named Garfield Lynn

>tfw this shit and then gotham takes it farther and actually names pam isley "Ivy"

True.

What's Flex Mentallo about?

Wait, how so? Is she Pam Ivy now?

Man fuck Gotham
Her name on the show is Ivy Pepper

Jesus Christ, I'm glad I don't watch that show. The moment they announced pre-season 1 that it'd feature young Bruce and younger versions of villains in active roles I checked out. I hate this meme in prequel TV shows "HURR THEY WERE ALREADY SORT OF RELEVANT BEFORE FAME!!! LET'S ADD LOTS OF WINK WINKS FOR FANS!!!"

Don't even get me started on that "Krypton" show they're making about Superman's grandfather in Krypton.

>What's Flex Mentallo about?
It's about the comic book strongmen that exist within all of us and how we can't abandon them in some vain attempt to be "serious". It's one of the best comics ever written.

Jullian Day is the perfect name for a man who deals in calendars, you shut your whore mouth Zack Snyder.

Theyre quirky and funny. Goto hell.

Modern Firefly's been Garfield Lynns, what are you on about?

Yeah, and Superman should have been called Clark Strong McFly as well.

Quirky and funny in the 50s. They're cringeworthy now.

It's not like Marvel is any better.

>Otto Octavius - Dr. Octopus
>Norrin RADd - Silver Surfer
>Jubilation Lee - Jubilee
>Roderick KINGsley - Hobgoblin

It's rarer, but still happens. Though Marvel tends to make name puns more subtle. Tombstone is most likely named Lincoln because of the Lincoln memorial.

His name is actually Julian Gregory Day, in which both are two different calendar systems

You're what's wrong with comics.

>Julian DAY
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Julian_calendar

DC has more puns while Marvel has more ridiculous alliteration

I'm not familiar with Marvel, grew up with DC, can you provide some examples other than the ones posted above?

I think the names, especially with Batman villains, is a kind of neat approach to making villain characters. Like, their parents knew the influence of Gotham would drive them to villainy, and thus named them accordingly

Norman "The GOBLIN" Osborne
Peter "SPIDEY" Parker

>Zack Snyder's Church of Subtlety

Of alliterative names? Sure.

Bucky Barnes
Matt Murdoch
Steven Strange
Fin Fang Foom
Reed Richards
Sue Storm
Victor Von Doom
Bruce Banner
Pepper Potts
Peter Parker
Miles Morales
J Jonah Jameson Jr
Betty Brant
Otto Octavius
Cletus Cassidy
Curt Connors
Lonnie Lincoln
Scott Summers
Jessica Jones
Kamala Khan
Richard Rider
Wade Wilson
Blackagar Boltagon (this is also worse than anything DC has)
Rocket Raccoon
Robbie Reyes

This isn't even getting into obscure characters and there's plenty I probably missed.

Don't forget Marvel's cross company pun name: Wade Wilson. It's both a pun and an alliteration.

For what, puns or alliteration?

He is right, Marvel is addicted to it.

>Peter Parker
>Otto Octavius
>J. Jonah Jameson
>Scott Summers
>Curt Conners
>Cletus Cassidy
>Matt Murdock
>Steven Strange
>Bruce Banner
>Pepper Potts
>Susan Storm
>Reed Richards
>Betsy Braddock
>Brian Braddock
>Wade Wilson
>Michael Morbius

Yeah good to know Crane went crazy from proto fear toxin that his dad made. Because yeah thats not fucking retarded

>Ted cARSON - Firefly
How have I never put that together?

>Victor Von Doom
>a human villain that has DOOM in his real name

This is probably the worst name in the whole thread. I'm sure people will say he's a cool character, but the name... This is Darkseid tier.

As opposed to a hero named Black Bolt having the secret identity of Blackagar Boltagon?

>lEX luTHOR
Fucking really?

That's not his secret identity.
>people who don't read comics think things in comics are silly
Shocker.

Not that poster, I'm not familiar with that hero, who's Black Bolt and who's Blackagar Boltagon?

To be fair the Inhumans don't really need secret identities I don't guess. They kinda ostracize themselves from humans because they're edgier mutants.

And he's (selectively) mute anyway.

It's canon to the Nu52.

Blackagar is Black Bolt but it's not really his "Secret" identity. He's just Blackagar.

iirc Marvel comics have so many alliterative names because Stan the Man had a hard time remembering them all otherwise.

And even then we got fuck-ups like Peter Palmer.

Because you can talk about these topics still in a tone and way acceptable to be on the level for children and still be somewhat interesting and complicated for adults.

Can't be part of both worlds, son. Gotta commit to one or the other, if it's about the story and not just making money.

because teenagers are kids too, duh

>Basil Elks = Basilisk

>Pepper Potts
>Not mentioning Happy Hogan

>Also I think the trunks should come back

Me too, user, me too.

>Humphrey Dumpler

>Blackagar Boltagon
This will never cease to be retarded.

>>Julian DAY - Calendar Man

>>JULIan DAY

Guys