Finland plans 'Arctic Corridor' linking China to Europe

If it happens, it will be the shortest, most direct route for goods between Asia and Europe ever. Spurred by China's massive Belt and Road Initiative, decision-makers in Finland and Norway are speeding up talks on a so-called Arctic Corridor. Cargo ships from Asia will off-load in Kirkenes or elsewhere in northern Norway saving thousands of nautical miles as compared to the route through the Suez Canal. The ships would pick up European exports while goods from Asia would travel on rail through Finland, through a tunnel to Estonia and from there reach central Europe in record time.

Two vital and so far lacking components - some 500km of rails from Norway to Finland's existing rails and a tunnel from Finland to Estonia - have frightened planners so far, but new prospects of Chinese funding are providing fresh impetus.

Finland already considers itself Europe's air traffic gateway to China and Asia. Helsinki Airport is closer to China than any other in the EU with only seven and a half hours flying time to Beijing. The proposed Arctic Corridor will further link Finland to China as will a proposed new high-speed broadband cable from Finland to Asia through the Arctic Ocean. Cinia, a Finnish IT-company 77.5 percent owned by the state, is heading efforts to establish the cable with Chinese and other foreign funding and the government in Helsinki is actively promoting the project.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liao_civilization
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I for one welcome us to have good relationship with Chinese government. They are good people.

t. Zhang Perkalainen

Sounds like a good idea I guess

At the rate of other great finnish project this would maybe be done by year 3000

Small countries who become relevant instantly turn into puppet states

several countries wish to be the gateway of china to europe

greek ports are already a prime destination, then there is italian and croatian ports

serbia and hungary is building a trail to pireus to connect the greek ports on land

poland has a direct connection between lodz and chengdu

now finns enter the competition for chinese investments, shipping and logistics

this is tense, it would be much easier to harmonise and maximize profits as a european superstate

USA BTFO

It would be easier just to relocate Finland

do not do this

Somewhere more south desu

Bit ironic coming from France...

>oppressive communist regime
>good people

It's a shame they don't have a coastline and will have to go through Norway no matter what.

Fucking ruskis

So is china going to be the overlord of europ?
Will Finns be honory chinese citizens?

Become Russia, Binland. We have tigers and space, and you're not. So join us, and we maybe give you a tiger to live in Binland.

Also gonna give us poverty and aids

simply imagine the glory

glorious

Welcome home brothers.

Let's reclaim Liaoning there on the North Korean border. We used to own it.

>A genetic analysis of human bone remains dating back to 6500 to 2700 B.C. in the Liao area, Haplogroup N (Y-DNA) (frequently in Uralic peoples and Yakuts) was observed at 60-100%

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liao_civilization

finland is really like half the size of japan

Free at last!

>ywn declare mare nostrum and control international trade

Wish we could back to the 16th century lads

Hell yeah. READY FOR THE ASIAN CENTURY YET? Finland will become the major power of Europe. I love this. Thank you based China

>tfw Oulu will become the Venice of the 21st century.

I HOPE SO :)

you really think I'd bother playing around with map projections?

Hyperwar confirmed?

You forgot our autism.