Can you summarize this show, what it's about, and what its fanbase is like...

Can you summarize this show, what it's about, and what its fanbase is like? I keep hearing everyone talk about it like it's the bee's knees or some shit. I was especially compelled to ask now after hearing some people in a game I was playing talk about it.

Is it worth watching at all?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/XKpQ_FwoPAU
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Yeah fucking right OP, we all know you just wanted to make another SU thread that'll get 400 replies cause Sup Forums is retarded. I fucking see you.

Well its a tv show, a cartoon, on television, or on the internet, and things happen in it. Steven is a character, and Pearl is too.

seriously this. OP you're an inconsiderate prick. There's at least 3 other SU threads up RIGHT NOW and you have to make your own?

You have every right to be cynical about my motives, but I am legitimately curious and just want to know.

I apologize, I did not check the catalog. I started by asking on Sup Forums, but I was referred here, so I posted without looking for other threads on it.

Actually, they all look like circlejerk threads, which is not what I'm looking for, but I'll ask there, anyway.

So basically, it's a children's cartoon. But unlike most, things don't just revert to status quo; characters are flawed, and they grow. Steven starts off a child, very incompetent and naive with no control of his powers. The story, so far, is him growing up, learning about his powers and the gems who who lives with. The show deals with homosexual relationships, death, depression, low self esteem, etc.

The fanbase is a mixed bag, like all fanbases. Some people zone in hard on the lgbt stuff (which isn't pushed down your throat, it just exists) and seem to think that's all the show is about. Some of the fans hate the slice of life episodes and just want LORE, forgetting its a show for children.

The show does comedy and drama very well.

Stop by /sug/, they're pretty cool. A little waifu heavy, but generally pretty nice people.

> anime shit
> sad shit
> gay shit

The show's the bee's knees, the fanbase isn't (the least cancerous part is the reddit part)

>What's it about
Nothing in particular, it can be about catching monsters for no apparent reason, helping aliens adapt to earth or fighting an evil force. It's around 5 different shows that take turns
>How is the fanbase
They made a girl kill herself, pretty much the worst and nastiest parts of tumblr

>Story about Steven growing up
>Steven cannoinically doesn't grow up
Great going there

show is about magical lesbian space rocks, there wars and the effects of them

the fanbase is strange tumblr somehow managed to delude themselves into thinking the show was pandering to them (although with beach city drift it was no longer a delusion fuck that episode)

the Sup Forums fanbase is a lot better but they do have a major problem of refusing to admit an episode is shit if it has a good song in it (mr greg, mindful education)

did nobody fucking watch the end of that episode

he canonically doesn't phyiscally age

grow can mean mentally, which he definitely has By watching himself die

You could probably watch like five episodes in the time you'll spend reading this thread. Just watch the first five episodes.

But Steven looks as old as he feels so he hasn't aged, he could age from a notice to the next but he doesn't at all

Some of the anons touched on the show's premise and fanbase well.

The show is actually good. They have bad episodes, but every show does. The filler is rare though, and most episodes grow the characters and the story. To add onto the plot summation, the gems are part of an overarching "race" of sentient beings that manifest physical forms from a usually small gem.

These gems are the carbon base to their lifeform just like our entire bodies are. The society is like that of insects: follow the leader. The gems are born into a set caste that is instructed, raised, and deployed into a very specific task.

For examples, the Diamonds are the matriarchs of the society. There was four of them, but the Pink Diamond was shattered in a massive rebellion long before the show takes place.

When you "shatter" a gem, you murder them. Gems don't like killing other gems... at all. But they did it and the survivors of that fight: Pearl and Garnet, often deal with it. Pearl has some signs of PTSD from it. It adds to the whole darkness feeling that the war should have.

Anyway, the three remaining diamonds still wield armies of quartz gems, the soldiers, pearl gems, servants, and various other gems to conquer entire planets. They harvest planets as "colonies" for a while before entirely devouring the world in order to produce more gems for the army.

A place called "Homeworld" plays a big role. The way the gems all act, function, and interact makes them out to be very structured and rigid. The show's creators did a great job building an alien society despite the premise of being a kid's show.

>It's *this* thread again

Ugh. You know damn well this'll just be 400 replies of shitposting because Sup Forums is filled with idiots who never learn to stop taking stale, obvious bait.

>mixed bag
It's fucking awful any way you slice it. When the creators of the show have to personally step in and tell their psychotic fans to chill the fuck out, something has gone horribly wrong. It's the number one reason I haven't watched the show beyond having a couple episodes on as background noise when it started airing.

main character is a retarded kid with superpowers, fanbase is just regular retards

Steven Universe is 50% songs and 50% crying. It's good, though.

I'm pretty sure other anons must have already spoiled you some details but here goes my two cents anyways:

Steven Universe revolves around the titular character and his 3 "magical" caretakes, the Crystal Gems (Garnet, Pearl and Amethyst). Steven is the son of the Crystal Gems' previous leader, Rose Quartz, and therefore has inherited her powers, but they're taking some time to develop with causes some pretty funny moments to ensue.

The first season revolves around lighthearted slice of life episodes that shape up the town and characters that surround Steven and the Crystal Gems as well as them fighting against monsters that threaten the town's wellbeing.

Eventually it all goes to shit when we learn that the gems aren't magical beings but rather aliens that came to Earth thousands of years ago in an attempt to colonize it. Not only that, but Homeworld soon has its eyes set back on Earth.

Honestly I'd go on an autistic rant and explain it all in detail but I feel I can only say so much without spoiling the entire plot.

Don't bother with the fandom, especially on Tumblr.

Overall though Steven Universe is worth a watch in my opinion. The first season starts out fairly slow but things are pretty fun to warrant its existence. There's some filler episodes here and there but they're all pretty funny.

>revealing PD getting shattered right off the bat
We JUST found that out. Mentioning the hollowing out of colonies wasn't a great move either.

To OP:
Steven is a half-gem who inherited gem powers from his mother, Rose Quartz, who gave her life to make him. The show is about him discovering and training his natural powers under the tutelage of the Crystal Gems, who his mother led and lived with for millenia: Garnet, Amethyst, and Pearl.

The story gets progressively darker as more gems (and the past of the Crystal Gems and their rebellion against their Homeworld, with continuing ramifications) are revealed, though the non-plot episodes are pretty consistently lighthearted in tone as Steven is an friendly and optimistic kid and lives in a beach town full of colorful characters that Sup Forums hates to watch. The music is also top-notch and the gem concept of fusion has a lot of interesting applications throughout the series. The writing quality is variable but you're bound to have a character you love.

>Lesbian

Shit and gay.

The most important thing you should know is that the technicolored space babes real bodies are literally their gems, the rest is just a hardlight hologram

i thought it was going to be retarded.

its perhaps one of the most interesting examples of writing i have ever seen. the freedom she has on this show is astounding and its doing mostly good things. its by no means my perfect show, but it makes up for it in ways i didnt know any show could. im anxious about the ending but its just such a fun watch. its one of the few shows hwere i dont care about where its going rather what its doing. the ending really isnt as important as the journey, though its building into an epic ending.

i thought it'd be liek adventure time. and in the beginning it seems to give htat impression, before you realize this is just her laying the gorundwork for the bigger plan she has.

Steven Universe is a western cartoon about a boy and his 3 guardians, the Crystal Gems, all of them space aliens/hybrids who defended Earth in a galactic war thousands of years before humanity emerged (cept Steven) and now live in a peaceful town continuing to defend it. In tone and plot it resembles the Anime Tenchi Muyo in a lot of ways. There's a lot of interesting setup about the Gems, their homeworld, the invaders that continue revisiting earth (Like Jasper and Peridot), events relating to the war and Gem politics, and continually following Steven's growing potential both as a human and a gem. It's got so much intrigue and follows through on it's st-

Oh who am I kidding.
It's a shitshow hipster indie show about a fatboy making fartjokes around his Beach buddies and townies and than crying all the time around his gay aunts.
Most of the good potential in the show will be ignored for this kinda faggy premise and any fights, lore, storytelling and plot will be quickly hushed away so Steven can get back to his townies as fast as possible. Afterall who cares about the Gem Empire and it's Overlords or Quartz soldiers, Gem Technicians or fractions when we have Mr. Smiley to get to! Or Kevin, or the Pizzas, or that annoying kid voiced by The Middle brat. The Status Quo ALWAYS wins, now you know and regardless the show will never move forward with anything over time.

>It's a shitshow hipster indie show about a fatboy making fartjokes

i can't tell if you're joking or not

>I don't like the bandwagon because radicals
Look out, we got a hipster over here.

The show should be called "Steven and hipster friends!" Because the gems become side characters to this annoying and worthless cast of bumpkins. If it were just about Steven and the 3 CG's facing off against homeworld and the entire cast was Gems the quality would skyrocket. Instead we spend every other episode on annoying human characters with no relation to the storyline and the Status Quo has to be kept so Steven can keep being a bumbling dimwit around humans he'll probably outlive.

The adventure of a fat autistic boy and his 3 lesbian mothers.

A fat hispanic child cries a lot, sings and plays guitar, solves his friends' relationship problems, explores his sexuality and hangs out with hipsters and his Indian girlfriend around the town.

At the same time there's this weird, seemingly big subplot about aliens and superpowered gem girls and Steven's gem mother and a galactic civil war but all of this stays in the background, is never given any reasonable explanations and is swept under the rug every other episode so the main character can go back to hanging out at the donut store.

It's actually a surrealist masterpiece of our times.

Yeah that's basically it. I mean from what I saw, the show, it's style, it's humor, they didn't seem like they appealed to me. It's not because it's a show that seems to be largely marketed towards women, I loved Madoka Magica and that's unobstensibly a chick show. It just wasn't for me and the simply outlandish fan base was the final nail in the coffin to never touch that shit.

>t's not because it's a show that seems to be largely marketed towards women, I loved Madoka Magica and that's unobstensibly a chick show.

These two really aren't connected.
And Magical girl cartoons are barely made for girls anymore they're made for the (male) Otaku market. What about Madoka exactly makes it seem like it's a chick show?

>The Status Quo ALWAYS wins
>Muh Lore
>Muh Plot
Misusing the term Status Quo isn't helping your point here. We didn't have two gems living in a Barn at the start of a series.

What exactly makes Steven Universe different from every other show that focusses on side characters? Chuck wouldn't have been the same without focus on the Buymore or Gumball on his individual classmates.

Why would what the fanbase is like matter?

Chuck just has side-plots/B-plots in addition to the actual missions and episodes.
And Gumball is a comedy show side characters are as important as main ones, like with the Office, ect.

SU takes entire episodes away from anything relevant just so we can learn something new about a character the viewer probably don't care about, and it's usually awful *Cough* Kevin *Cough* Jamie.

If the side-characters were just incorporated as 'guests' for each Gem Mission or little subplot the Crystal Gems get in that would be one thing. It's another to push them to the forefront entirely, like a side story or filler in anime we don't need.

The fanbase and fans you interact with and discuss the material with are often part of the experience. It's why okay shows like Rick and Meme or Ruby Gloom are absolutely ruined by garbage fanbases.

>The fanbase and fans you interact with and discuss the material with are often part of the experience.

Then don't interact with the fanbase, dumbfuck. Or are you so much of a boring person that you don't have a genuine interest in things and just use shows as an excuse to talk to post on the internet all day?

Maybe I'm just lucky in that I have a group I watch a lot of shows with, but that's just pathetic if your enjoyment of a show has to come from random faggots on the internet.

well the important point is they are a bunch of perverts, sex adicts and love stuck fools

this is kinda the jist of it without that many spoilers put in.
youtu.be/XKpQ_FwoPAU

>is it worth watching?
I say yes

>what it's about?
It is basically about a boy who is the son of a legendary magical hero, and is trying to deal with his magical heritage while also living the life of a regular human
His magical heritage also comes with a huge legion of skeletons in the closet, that become more visible as the series progresses
Main focus is on character interaction and development, as well as lore that is being revealed VERY slowly

>what its fanbase is like?
Depends
This show's fandom has a VERY bad reputation, but most of it comes from the Tumblr side
The show's Tumblr fandom is PURE CANCER that should be purged from the face of the earth
The fandom that you can find, for example, here on Sup Forums is pretty cool.
Expect tons of waifus and shipping tho

Seven isn't Hispanoc
he's white as they come

But his mother was an illegal alien

Its transformers for girls.

Truth

OP here.

After reading and thinking, I have concluded that I will watch an episode of Steven Universe later today. Thank you for your comments, information, and opinions on the show.

The one other thing I will ask is, when does the first "good" episode start? I'm a TV completionist so I'll be watching Steven Universe up to and including the first episode that Sup Forums can, with as much objectivity as possible (and yes, I am aware opinions are opinions, just give me the episode that most people agree starts off well), point to as being something to watch.

I think the majority says around episode 12, Giant Woman. But it differs from each person, some need more episodes for it to become good (like around episode 25/26 or even later) while others take even less. Personally I couldn't even stand the first 3 episodes or so. I remember pausing continuously, really struggling to finish the episode. However it was worth the struggles in the end.

Also the good news is these episodes are only 10 minutes long so it doesn't take you forever to get to the first pretty good ones.

It's about crying and filler episodes.

the thing is, you need all episodes to get what's going on, to contextualize the stuff. otherwise it'll have no meaning. there is no filler episode except maybe 1 or 2 total, because they all contain some lore or character snippet so nothing is really skippable. You'll need that world building for when the plot happens.
They're only 10 minutes, so you can easily extend the 3 episode rule to 6, or even 12, giant woman is great.

SU needs breather episodes to break up the lore-centric episodes. If we didn't have them, the seasons would be shorter and fans would get burned out very quickly.

The plot doesn't even start until the episode "Mirror Gem", which is... what, episode 26 or something?

Everything before that is slice of life and lore/character buildup.

The episodes are just 10 minutes though so it's not like that's a long time to watch.

you need the buildup, though.
otherwise, shit makes no sense.

>Its transformers for girls.

*It's Transformers for girls.

I want to give it a shot.

Sentient alien space rocks, who take female humanoid form as projections of light, invade earth to refurbish it into something more habitable for their kind, which would destroy all Earthen life. Several alien space rocks see beauty and value of life on Earth, and decide to protect it. The rebel aliens win, but at the cost of most of the rebels, save a special few. The Space Rock Aliens are immortal, unless their rock/gem is destroyed, so when presented with the opportunity to mate with a sexy male human, one of the aliens, Rose Quartz and leader of the rebels, takes the opportunity to give up her own life so her child, Steven Universe, can be born. The show, in a nutshell, is Steven is trying to live up to his mom's legacy, figure out what it means to be a Gem, and still be a human boy.

The fanbase is large and produces some decent artwork and theories (on top of the shite). SU General is cracked in the head with most people going on and on about their waifus/crackships. It's pretty dank as shit in there.

Steven Universe is a coming-of-age story that deals with relationships, emotions, love, friendship, responsibility and all that shit in a slice of life / space opera setting. It also tries to be lgtb friendly in a casual way and teach its young audience lessons about life and its challenges, but manages to do this in a non-pushy or preachy way imo, quite a feat. There's a lot of crying and singing.

It's about a boy, Steven, who's half-human half-gem (gem = near-immortal feminine-presenting space alien of solid light) and is being raised by three gems who are the last remnants of the once-great army of his legendary rebel leader mom, Rose Quartz. The gems are teaching him about his powers while also trying to protect the Earth and all the organic life on it from the looming gem empire, Homeworld, which wants to destroy Earth and harvest its resources for its own reproduction needs.

The tone of the show changes with Steven, whose viewpoint the show shows things from and who may be a bit of an unreliable narrator; in the beginning it's a comfy and funny monster of the week show where Steven just sees all the magical gem stuff as cool, but over time, as he learns more about what really went down and what's at stake and what's being expected of him as Rose Quartz's son, the feeling and narrative tone changes notably, and the show starts to tackle questions of morality and hard choices during war etc. A lot of the time, some things are shown, visited or alluded to which then turn out to be significant or foreshadowing later on.

It's pretty good and ambitious for a kids' show imo. I recommend watching at least 10-12 episodes when deciding if one likes it, because in the very beginning the tone is so different and Steven is such a clueless whiny fuckup one won't get a feel of the show proper by watching only 4 or so eps. The animation also improves, though the quality will fluctuate throughout.

>spoiling one of the huge twists like that

You're a cunt, user, you know that?

On the fanbase;
Due to the show having a large gallery of strong female characters and some romance between women, it draws to it the worst, most fanatic teenage sjws from all corners of the internet.

So the fanbase is large, has a lot of people producing quality art and such, but unfortunately there's also lots of heated and intense and super serious discussion about race and gender and weight issues and ableism and whatnot, and the fandom has been known to for example attack people for drawing fanart where characters (alien space rocks capable of shapeshifting, made of solid light) are depicted as too thin or the wrong race or attracted to human males even though they're supposed to be lesbians etc.

However, I wouldn't blame that on the show creating that sort of mindset on its fans, but rather just that the show, being progressive, draws these sort of retards to it like beacon of space lesbians. So it's going to demand strong nerves and an ability to ignore pointless drama and bullshit going on in the fandom.

I would watch all the episodes in order, from the beginning, and accept that the first 10 may feel a bit meh. (with the exception of Garnet's Universe, maybe) Even the "filler" episodes tend to put some plot or character development into them, like there's some detail or some power is unveiled or developed or something is casually revealed in a remark that's meaningful later.

Also, the "good" episodes won't feel as good if you haven't seen the buildup.

If you want an episode you can watch to get a feel of the show without having understood anything which might not ruin the plot, perhaps watch
Cat Fingers, Serious Steven, or So Many Birthdays. Possibly Giant Woman.

I wouldn't watch anything of the later episodes because they feel much better if you've got the buildup of the earlier episodes.
Absolutely do NOT start with Mirror Gem. You'll ruin it for yourself and it won't feel as special.

>I loved Madoka Magica and that's unobstensibly a chick show
>a chick show

yeah, K-On! was for girls too

Young half-sentient gem alien/half-human boy deals with the shenanigans around his home of Beach City and the world, ranging from simple relationship problems between his friends and citizens of Beach City, to finding lost ancient artifacts left behind from a 5000+ year old attempted colonization of Earth by Sentient Gems from space who have hard light construct bodies, to dealing with invasion forces from the aforementioned space gems. He is raised by three of these gems who have sworn to protect Earth under the former leadership of the young boy's mother, and sometimes his borderline hobo human father with a heart of gold sings life lessons at him.

You'll probably cry if you have a soft heart.

Also, I don't interact with fans of the show outside of my social circle. I'm lucky enough to have friends in real life who share my interests, so I don't really seek out communities online. But, from what I heard from here, it's getting just as bad, if not worse than the MLP fandom.

I just started watching it, all I knew was it has a huge fanbase of sperglords so I assumed it would be some awful wankfest tumblr-toon, but it grew on me. Granted I'm only 3 episodes in, but I like it so far. Like I laughed out loud at the Mr. Queasy toy and how he pitches out a first aid kit to pack Mr Queasy on his fucking magical space adventure.

If you like it already now, than you're really in for a ride