How the fuck does Superman's ice breath work? Wind chill?

How the fuck does Superman's ice breath work? Wind chill?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joule–Thomson_effect
qwantz.com/fanart/superman.pdf
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Wind. Hes just pushing air out of his lungs at extremely high rates so it cools.

He is superman.
And the in universe explenation could be that his superbreath is used as a conduit for his Bioaura to slow and stop the movement of electrons.

There you go OP. Your tread is shit,

Why does this movie think that the direction the earth spins has something to do with the passage of time?

You realize that makes no fucking sense at all right? Just tell me that you do.

Yes, and?

There's literally 2 answers in this thread, and you choose to the dumbest one

eye beams had a better explanation

can't find a good one for ice breath but whatevs

You're aware this is the Internet.
Sometimes people make what we call "jokes."

Its okay if it's not too your liking.

But calm down man

Minty toothpaste and breath mints.
Lots.

Wouldn't it make more sense if he sucked the air in? Absorbing the heat and all that?

Haven't you ever eaten soup? Don't you blow on it? Haha you must be from Tumblr nice work.

Kryptonian Minty breath

It's really something that I don't get either. Shouldn't he actually just breathe out some Category 5-tier winds instead of freezing things?

I know it's gotta cool, but even still, if it's at that point, then why wouldn't it just push something instead?

>Why does something written during the Silver Age not follow anything resembling rational science?

No

That's superbreath, a different power.

"rational" is relative.

See

You are an idiot.

Blowing on something (wind chill) cools things down by disrupting the small barrier of hot air that surrounds a hot object. If the small "bubble" of hot air is disrupted fast enough, the object/body no longer is insulated by that small amount of air.

Without that insulation it cools faster.

HOWEVER

It can only cool to the temperature of the surrounding air that touches it. This is dangerous for a human body because our body prefers a warm temperature and disrupting the barrier can drag us down. However, unless the air surrounding us is below freezing itself it cannot freeze us.

Blowing on something just helps it reach equilibrium with the surrounding air faster.

HOWEVER (again) if Superman is blowing air at super speeds, he not only is removing that bubble of air, he is also pelting you with higher energy wind. That wind would impart some energy in you as heat.

So in reality the "super breath" would cause you to almost equalize, but then be slightly warmer than whatever the temp of the room is. That is unless he has an organ in his chest that cools the air he breathes, or he breathes on you so hard it rips off your flesh.

Learn some thermo user, it isn't Tumblr to know how heat transfer works.

Super cool breath is simple. it's just like that can or air you use to dust your computer. he inhales a huge amount of air and compresses it to insanely high pressure. in the process that is is super heated. he then uses his kryptonian physiology to absorb that heat into his body reducing the airs temperature to roughly room temperature. Now just like that air can when he expels the compressed air it becomes super chilled.

It's Boyle's law: The absolute pressure exerted by a given mass of an ideal gas is inversely proportional to the volume it occupies if the temperature and amount of gas remain unchanged within a closed system.

in this case his superpower is not to super chill the air...thats natural physics...but to be able to deal with the heat.

Yeah but how does he create ice at any given point but the source? Is he spitting on them too? I can understand moisture in the air but to be so localized when he is covering such a large area.

chalk that up to how poorly the medium of comic books describes what actually happens. if it wernt for the "ice crystals" how would you know his breath was super cold?

OP here. Great explanation, I think I understand.

Would it work in space?

no air, no super cold breath

>Bioaura
God fucking dammit what have you people done to him. As if he didn't need *more* power creeping asspulls.

Ever notice how he doesn't seem to use his ice breath all that much anymore? I guess when you get right down to it, it's kind of a goofy power that was more at home in the silver age.

He didn't use it in Young Justice, or either of the recent Superman movies.

shame, its much more realistic than heat vision ever was. i have no idea how that works.

He was joking.

He could've ended the fight with Batman in two seconds if he used ice breath, that's why it wasn't in the movies

Unless he starts bringing in air very slowly for a long period of time, bringing in the volume of air required to make such a compression work would create a massive vacuum in the area. If he were inside, THAT would be the devastating power.

Also, I was going to say "lungs don't work like that"... but AIR doesn't work like that. Air moves to the area of less pressure. If Superman is to compress the air, he has to do it after taking it in. Once he starts compressing it, he can't take in any more.

So if he were to take in a huge volume, that means that before using this ability he would have to blow up to a superman balloon (probably more like a superman blimp) in order to allow for that amount of volume.

Or we can just say "kryptonian bio field magic lol" and just not pretend science applies.

It's a Silver age power, roll with it.

Frost bite. One would assume that ice breathe would also freeze the water in the persons body and just not the moisture in the air outside it. I wanna see the last few pages were the doctors have to amputate the soldiers arms up to their elbows

Well, as long as he was only pretending to be retarded that's fine.

If you compress air and then let it expand it will absorb warmth as it expands. Its why when you fire compressed air the canister gets really cold.

Super man is sucking in air at huge pressure into his lungs. When he blows it out it expands.

Yeah, but the can itself gets much colder than the thing you are blowing on.

Superman should get covered in ice faster than the thing he is blowing on if this is the "explanation".

That's why Freeze always gets away, right?

>learn some thermo user, so you can be a retard like me who doesn't understand basic sarcasm on the internet and has to flaunt his "knowledge" around

Embarrassing

youve never forced air into your lungs with your mouth before have you?

Neither have you. When you compress air with your mouth the chamber is connected with your lungs. Try opening compressing air into your lungs at the same time you compress your lungs.

Your mouth loses because it is one solid compartment with no barriers (mouth, windpipe, lungs) and the lungs are better equipped for compression.

You can't separate the pressures because there is no physical barrier... well, you can, but it just goes into your stomach and is lost as a burp.

And even if Superman does have a barrier (like a flap or something to separate his mouth from his lungs reliably) he would have to take in immense amounts of air via gulping... like hundreds of times (can't do it at super speed either because he would have to wait for the air to fill his mouth).

>Using sarcasm in text and expecting others to reliably "get it"
>Implying he wasn't just stupid
>Implying threads like this aren't only posted in by people who want to flaunt their knowledge

This thread is like half wrong explanations of basic science.

A billion motherfucking ice-using motherfuckers in the DC universe and you're wondering why the OG superhero with super strength, speed, insane durability, supersenses that work faster than light, and shoots laser beams out of his eyes can also freeze things by blowing on them with super breath.

He doesn't realize the earth turning is just a visual representation of time passing.
Kek.

Yeah, ice powers are pretty weird.

They all kinda treat cold as its own thing, like you can shoot "cold" at something or add "cold" to an object.

Making something cold is taking away the heat. You have to steal that from something.

Superman operates on non-relativity based physics.

I always thought it was precise molecule control coupled with secondary air generation powers.

Superman can raise and lower his internal temperature.

That's kinda a limited application then.

That's like... having the ability to control time but only ever using it to go slow motion. There is just so much more potential to those kinds of powers than "make ice".

BioAura was Byrne's explanation for shit like how Superman doesn't rip through humans when he catches them or how he can carry huge airplanes over his head without puncturing through it or how his costume survives all that shit. He has a body aura that protects himself and unconsciously does so with those he's trying to protect.

His body takes in air, and his special Kryptonian lungs extract all the heat from it. That's really the best explanation I can put for it, that it basically uses some kind of evolved convection organ in his alien body that functions like a freezer, otherwise the only thing we've got is "lol, bioaura"

It also explained why his costume didn't rip unless it was done by something that could physically harm him. It had to pierce his bioaura first.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joule–Thomson_effect

>Silver Age

It explains nothing, because all it does is explain one mystery with another one. What is a "bioaura"? It's nothing. It's comic book science, and worse than that, it conjures up images of "magic" as aura are a common belief in new-agey religion, when it's established many times in the DC universe that Superman's powers are not supposed to be magic.

It's just thermodynamics caused by rapid expulsion of air through a small aperture. You can get the effect yourself by just blowing through your pursed mouth. Superman just does it to the nth degree.

It isn't, it's supposed to be some form of unconscious telekinesis. That's where Superboy got his Tactile Telekinesis from.

>Sup Forums forgot about the unified theory of superman

qwantz.com/fanart/superman.pdf

Super breath is fine, give him the ability to blow category 5 winds or whatever. Ice breath just seems like they're tacking on another power that doesn't really work with what he's supposed to have.

It's like giving the Human Torch the ability to control plants. It's nonsensical and we only accept it because it's been grandfathered in.

Byrne based the idea on an actual scientific theory that humans have their own bioauras. IIRC it explained why humans don't gather dust the way inanimate objects do.

It's like cooling down soup by blowing on it, but since it's Superman, he can do that to ridiculous degrees.

That doesn't sound like a theory. More like a hypothesis, and a pretty poor one at that.

Literally explain his flying and why he has it in combination with his super strength

He's stronger than gravity

That's not how that works friendo

I will roll with this, since the "superman absorbs air" idea is retarded. As it only works on earth

he compresses air to hundreds of atmospheres within his lungs, this creates extreme heat, but his body can take it

when he releases the air from his mouth ,the air rapidly decompresses, absorbing heat from the surroundings and causing a chill

But that doesnt work. Specially since he can chill stuff to the absolute zero, he can cold a star

Momentum is a thing. Bioaura explains things just like speed force would. I hate "science explains comic powers" crap, since it usually just fails to do it. Superman lungs absorbing the heat is beyond retarded, specially when air at that high speeds would actually warm stuff instead of chilling them.

He's stronger than momentum

Why are we trying to make sense of a fantastical character's abilities?

>it's an 'user has an autistic fit because fictional characters don't fit within realistic physics' thread.

You should probably just kill yourself if you're having this much of an issue realising that you're talking about comic characters.

It's not supposed to make sense. Superman above all others.

Go down a bucket of paint.

Are you stupid?

It just works.

We don't know. He's an alien, user.

Are you?

Of course superman is strong enough to overcome momentum, no matter how strong it may be.

He's fucking SUPERMAN. Something you seem to be having trouble understanding.

Why do pesudoscience explanations trigger you, but nonsensical ones don't?

If someone says "he absorbs and compresses air and like compressed air in a can, it comes out cold" then even if that's not 100% scientifically accurate, it's conceptually something people can relate to and therefore accept. Like when you tell average person that the spaceman's rocket uses a super good engine and super fuel to traverse between planets very fast. It doesn't make sense, but you buy it because you understand the concepts of engine and fuel.

If you wanna handwave everything away with what is essentially "it's magic, I don't have to explain shit" then what you're explaining suddenly becomes very boring. People like to understand the reasoning behind things, and saying shit like that is like putting up a narrative brick wall.

hahaha it wasnt written during the silver age you colossal idiot

>but nonsensical ones don't?

1. It makes sense in universe
2. It's SCI-FI

Bio-aura slowing the movements of electrons makes more sense than compressed air. It's that simple.

>Bio-aura slowing the movements of electrons makes more sense than compressed air. It's that simple.

Not to the layman, who is going to be the person reading the Superman comic. If you want to impress some physicists, then sure go with the bio-aura bullshit.

Superman powers should work for comic readers, not for the layman.

But that being said the states of matter are basic 4th grade education.

But Star Trek is like 30% hypernerd gobbledygook by volume and people still love that shit.

>its an 'user gets triggered over the FICTION part of science fiction' episode

Sure am glad I don't have to wake up as you every morning, you humongous faggot.

Yeah, this one always bugs me when it comes up in conversation. I will grant that the movie did a poor job of conveying this information visually, but it feels like a little bit of logical inference ought to bring most people to the correct conclusion.

Superman was and SHOULD stay as a Scifi character and comic book readers should be expected to understand stuff like momentum, movement of electrons, gravity, etc.

Cape comic readers are laymen. You think the vast majority of people that read comics are well educated? If they were they wouldn't be reading capeshit.

>most people
>logical

Well there's your problem.

But the compressed air interpretation is more FICTION than the slow electrons interpretation. Who are you quoting?

I didnt knew americans consider elementary education advanced science.

well it is America. Not exactly known for their smarts.

All you have to do is turn the news on to see that.

Dumbass

No seriously what's your deal, what did you mean by this?

Science fiction must make sense on itself, it doesnt need to be real, compressed air doesnt explain anything in our universe or in universe. The compressed air theory it's made by people who think that since a fan can keep them cool on the summer, high compressed air can keep stuff really really cool.

The shit you're talking about is learned mainly in highschool physics, and most people can barely remember gradeschool math.

>what did you mean by this

I hate Sup Forums. I can read this question and not feel rage

the realistic nature, or lack of, for either options DOESN'T FUCKING MATTER

Why do you sperg so hard over this anyway? I can only imagine the one day realise that superman is a >100% energy efficient system

You'll probably collapse on the street, screaming about comic inaccuracies.

Get your head checked, pal.

kek

>The compressed air theory it's made by people who think that since a fan can keep them cool on the summer, high compressed air can keep stuff really really cool.

You mean the same people that think the tiny rocket ship Clark came to Earth on had enough fuel to feasibly make it to Earth from another galaxy? The same people that accept that Iron Man's armor can do what it does without needing an Optimus Prime sized shell to store all the batteries it would need if we use real world physics? That makes about as much sense as the compressed air theory but you have no problem with those, right?

If you're of the opinion that we shouldn't be arguing this at all, then at least shitpost at the guy wanting slow speed electrons too, it's only fair.

the compressed air is NOT the same as the kind a fan uses to cool, a fan blows away hot air from an object to speed convection, as the pressure rapidly drops, the temperature will also drops, this works on the same principle as liquid nitrogen, which cools the surroundings by rapidly expanding

Don't worry user, I hate him just as much as the rest of you.

>right?

Compressed air would HEAT stuff, not cold it.

compressing air generates heat, decompressing air will absorb an amount of heat equal to the heat generated

He has limited access to the Freezeforce.

and he uses that heat to power his heat vision

checkmate, atheists.

>decompressing air will absorb an amount of heat equal to the heat generated

Except he is expelling that air at a fast speed, so you are not going to FREEZE anything.