Why don't younger people read comics or read in general?

Why don't younger people read comics or read in general?

Other urls found in this thread:

publishersweekly.com/pw/by-topic/industry-news/libraries/article/71237-graphic-novels-go-back-to-school.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Watching TV is easier.

Too offensive.

This

It's why the ticket sales for movies don't directly translate into floppy sales, no matter how much Marvel thinks so.

why read actual stuff when you can just read what other people say about stuff on tumblr or twitter?

Videogames
Movies
TV
Its seen as nerd shit
All of the above

Reading is for losers.

nobody young watches tv any more

even movie sales are down

i mean i would assume there is some actual reading of words going on even with this, but ok, let's pretend it happens without communication

comics aren't aimed at younger people, they're aimed at older fans who have money

citation needed that they don't read because again, pretty sure they do

even pictograms need to be read, OP

Because:
>you can only buy comics in specialized stores
>comics are too expensive
>comics have shit pacing, nobody has the attention span to read a story that updates 20 pages per month

That is a cute doggo

Because reading is hard.

I'd agree if we're talking single issue comics, but trades? Don't kids read trades from the library any more, that's how I got into comics.

This is horrible, but I fear it is actually true.

It's the same with kids watching fucking "et's plays instead of actually playing the fucking games themselves. It's weird as shit that kids these days would rather just watch other people do something / read someone else's opinions and just parrot them than experience something themselves and form their own opinions.

>5-6 inches of chin
did henderson draw that?

Because the internet and the cyberculture mostly, if you ask me, the whole easy access to multiple knowledge make the people mentally lazy.

For example the homework, the oldest generations had to actually made a research in a library and in the books to learn something, nowadays the kids only need to ask to Google for what they need without not much effort.

The virtual world make look everything more easy and simple, but it doesn't help you abstract concepts, not that much.

Because comics are boring as fuck and mangaka is way better.

>Why don't younger people read comics or read in general?

They do, though. The graphic novel market is currently valued at over half a billion dollars, and a huge part of that is sales of all-ages titles (from publishers like Scholastic/Graphix and First Second Books) to schools and libraries. In countries like Canada, graphic novels/comics have become incorporated into the reading curriculum in many primary and secondary schools.

There's a whole new generation of kids learning to read and develop critical thinking skills through "comics".

Source:
publishersweekly.com/pw/by-topic/industry-news/libraries/article/71237-graphic-novels-go-back-to-school.html

When people complain that kids aren't reading comics, I think what they're really talking about is the fact that Marvel and DC (and to a lesser extent, Image/Dark Horse/IDW) have failed to tap into that burgeoning young readership.

No one reads comics anymore, grow up manchild.

>I'd agree if we're talking single issue comics, but trades? Don't kids read trades from the library any more, that's how I got into comics.
No. Libraries are pretty much obsolete when you can get just about any book for free on the internet. It's not even like there's a moral problem like with video game or movie piracy since libraries are free in the first place so you're not costing a sale.

And getting into it starting with trades is very overwhelming. You can't just pick a random one, you have to know where to start and that's far too much effort for something you only kind of care about. Just don't bother.

>All these "wah, reading is hard, this generation sucks!" people ignoring the fact that children are reading more books now than ever before.
And they can't even pull the 'well yeah, but they're reading young adult books which are barely books' because comics are several steps below even that.

>mangaka is way better.
but mangaka is also experiencing a drop in sales.

>kids
>TV
Kids don't watch TV anymore, gramps.

>all those excuses
Maybe it's because whatever comics they're exposed to are just crap?

It's just the good ol' "hurr durr kids deze days are so dum dum with their technology", every generation does it

because no one likes unfunny quirky shit like "pug dredd"

Judge impersonation. Five years, creep.

internet culture has poisoned their brains

All is well.

IMPRESONATING A JUDGE. FIVE MINUTES IN TIME OUT, PUPPERS.

Mangaka has literally never been more alive.

High entry barriers since the 90's, convoluted continuity, and a general shift in focus towards targeting comics at adults rather than children.
Also, shit's expensive, yo.

They are reading comics. Japanese comics.

Its not just young people. Only intelligent people read, that's the way its always been.

Part of the reason is because schools just push kids through grade by grade without having all of the knowledge they need to actually pass.

Nobody wants to read when the people who taught them to read half-assed it.

In Winnipeg Graphic Novels is the most popular section. I think OPs question really depends on the region and how stupid the genral poplation is.
Winnipeg is kinda cruddy but you'd be surprised how many intellectuals are crammed into the homeless population(that dont drink listerine, the solivent/mouthwash abusers are a waste of raw resource)

I bought a comic book today, since I heard DC had a new thing called Rebirth. I enjoyed Justice League Rebirth 1 but the comic took less than 10 minutes to read and while it is all setting up a scene, they were out of second issue.

I just don't get how you guys do it. 6 bucks and a trip to the comic shop for a bit of entertainment that lasts less than a lunch. Also, I am pretty sure that there was an ad for the very book I was reading. Why make an ad for a book you already know I bought?

It's not socially validating or better put -- sexually attractive.

Or they associate it with something they "had" to do in school. School is boring so reading gets smeared by association.

yeah there's no more titties in comics

Please don't lie on the internet.

>grow up man child
>he says on a North Korean Scrimshaw board

>library
kids have the internet, man
some got personal smart phones at like 5 years old

why would they ever need/use a library

Continuity.
No reason to since movies.
Shit tons of entertainment content available for free or cheaper.
Reading is for losers.

To read and research books user.

What, don't the schools give them the books directly?

But they can do that much faster and much more conveniently with a computer or smart phone.

Schools may not have every book available you need or the local library may have a larger variety to chose from.

Just because something is faster and more convenient,doesn't mean it's better. There's nothing like walking through rows of books, finding what you're looking or even better finding something you didn't expect.

It's good stuff senpai.

Younger people have never seen a comic in a grocery store, convenience store, or newstand. Reading comics has never been a casual time killer for them, it's a full on hobby that one has to "get into."

How many threads have you seen by people asking how to get into comics? Comics have become a niche market with specialized hobby stores, which is a business model that will always struggle to expand its consumer (fan) base.

Seeing the speculator bubble burst and not reverting back to the old (granted, comparatively less profitable) business model was in my opinion a mistake. Though, this was also the beginning of the end of the decline of print markets, so it's hard to say how going back to magazine rack sales would have worked out, but it definitely have seen more childhood readers. Of course, I have a degree in literature and I pulled most of this out of my ass, so I wouldn't listen to me, either.

> Don't kids read trades from the library any more, that's how I got into comics.

user those days are over.

wtf is library?

I always see tons of kids go in my my local comic books shop. Most of them are regulars.

there are probably more public libraries per person in America than in any other country in the world tbqh

>mentally lazy
>this is why technology still manages to grow at an exponential rate

Comics are poorly marketed, similar to warhammer models/DND stuff

If comics were up in front with the magazines and wargaming stuff was over either with the trading cards or the toys then both industries would be better off

DnD is actually the most popular it has ever been now

School libraries are places where they store young adult garbage hoping k-12 students read them

Public libraries are places where homeless people sleep and generally have useless garbage

University libraries are where actual books are found

If I remember Russia has a buttload of libraries from soviet times

Because Americans are fucking stupid and spread their diseased culture like a fucking mosquito spreads zika. They are the one that one day decided that education of any kind was a waste of time and that people should focus on idiotic trivia, spewing their disgusting opinions on the internet as fact and thus all the "progressive" movements were born.

Fuck the US. Fuck Humanity. And above all, fuck you op. FUCK ALL OF IT, LET IT BURN.

>be Britbong
>around a dozen crappy old TPBs in the library in my large town
>visit relatives in France
>library in their small village is stuffed with hundreds of BDs
That would have been a fucking paradise for me as a kid.

>america is the reason my country isnt a winner

wish you could have something to eat?

haters gonna hate. lol.

Last Sunday was such a nice day.

>AND ISRAEL TOO

It's all in the little details.

because football is back

>In Winnipeg Graphic Novels is the most popular section
>you'd be surprised how many intellectuals are crammed into the homeless population
Yeah, sounds like you're just swarming with Einsteins!

Comics are a fucking pain to read

You need to know like 70 years of history , and also read other comics because of crossovers and shit

People want arching storylines now, while comics by design have to be stand alone arcs because there is too much shit for anyone to know

Also all the big icons in comics are constantly dead

I'd say this generation is about equally as mentally lazy or competent as any other, we just have FAR more efficient tools. Do you really think the majority of people in the 1950s would do research in libraries if they weren't required to for school or their job? That's a lot of work and most people wouldn't give enough of a shit to put in the effort. Now it's so simple basically anyone can learn anything at any time. We're not lazier for it, we're strengthened by ease of access to higher educational materials. If google existed 50 years ago I guarantee you'd see more people learning than ever before. We live in a point in time where the majority of people go to college, whereas it was far far more rare in older generations. That's why kids were told to go to college - it actually set people apart back then. Now, the majority have higher education and work ethic than any previous generation, and nothing to show for it really.

It's not that people are lazy (well, yes, but every generation ever has been equally as lazy) it's just we can do far more with the same low effort.

Because you could pretend you lived in a relevant country?

Comics are a hassle
You could spend 50 bucks following a single comic only to have some event wrap up in some other comic
And then some other asshole will start writing for the characters you like and you see the characters and you're like "WTF this isn't the character, what even?"

That and the industry surrounding it is why prefer manga

You can do literally that online. I'd definitely agree the tactile, physical nature of actual books is wonderful, but to say they're intrinsically better than online is fucking stupid. It's faster, more convenient, and it's possible to find way more stuff than can be physically stored at a local library. Then again you might also find stuff in a local library that's not online yet, so there are benefits to both. But overall I'd say the nature of the internet, especially in the long run over the next couple decades as more and more works are scanned, makes it a much better research tool than walking through a library. Not in every way, because humans are tactile beings, but it's definitely better in the majority of comparable areas.

Pet him right now, or you're going in a cube.