What are some of the biggest let-down characters in Sup Forums history?

What are some of the biggest let-down characters in Sup Forums history?

The moment he turned out to be "Jay" everything went downhill from there.

>OH SHIT SPIDER-MAN 3 HAS VEMON

And then you saw the movie...

Boba Fett

Phasma wasn't a let down because I can still imagine her sitting on my face

Since we're talking about live-action cape show villains.

>expect a frightening and interesting take on a mediocre villain
>get a boring idiot manchild who's impossible to take seriously as any kind of threat

Late 2015 - early 2016 cape show villains all sucked, but I never expected them to be any good in the first place unlike this guy for whom I had hopes.

He was shit before that. They blew their load with him in Enter Zoom and almost every scene with him before the Earth 2 travel arc was pretty much "I'M EVIL GIVE ME THE FLASH'S SPEED" which got old pretty quickly.

>wanting a disgusting traitor with no loyalty or honor to sit on your face

You know it to be true.

People were excited enough for it to be a let-down?

You've forgotten how popular and loved Avatar was, especially on this board.

A sequel cartoon show to one of the best animated shows of all time? The only reason you wouldn't be is if you didn't watch the first series, or are one of those spergs into FOP.
In B4
>Avatar
>Good
>Thumbnail reaction
>huehuehuehuehue

I did watch it and it was nothing special.
>getting this defensive someone might not like his cartoon
Autism.

it still baffles me that people prefer the cheap plastic crap to the cgi armor

Avatar is good, but also massively overrated on this board.

Holy shit yes.

Escaping like NINE DIFFERENT TIMES was stupid. He should've appeared in the first few episodes and again in the last few, not be a major series antagonist.

>why doesn't Bruce Wayne just open a privately owned asylum for the criminally insane with top-notch guards and doctors?

Hickman's ayylmao Beyonders.

Remender's Apocalypse Twins too

Becasue its actually real and looks cool

With CGI armour your brain will always tell you that what you're seeing isn't real, because it looks off. With plastic armour you just have to think that it's a fancy space-alloy that just looks like plastic and then you move on.

But being a manchild is what made him threatening. Sure, his escape from Jessica's appartment was silly, but at least the show is more interesting than "I just beat random mooks for an episode why am I even a superhero show" Daredevil.

>But being a manchild is what made him threatening
Except you're wrong and all it did was make him absolutely laughable.
>show is more interesting
"interesting" is the last word I'd use to describe that show.

What? They did their job completely. If it wasn't for "Heroes must always" win tropes making Kang somehow beat them, they would have been the best heroes in the MU.

I think you have mental age of ten, if you think
Large ham and powerlevel = threatening villain

I think you're a goddamn idiot because you make idiotic assumptions based on literally nothing, but that's expected from people who enjoyed Jessica Jones.

Because it looks light-years better.

>cheap plastic looking armor
or
>poorly done cgi, badly attempting to emulate cheap plastic looking armor

Does she even qualify as a character?

Does anyone in Star Wars, for that matter?

Phasma isn't a traitor. She was held at gunpoint and forced to deactivate the shields. FN2187 is the traitor but nice meme I guess.

>kylo ren is taking rey aboard the ship
>suddenly, he feels a great wave of anger through the force
>leaves the girl and tries to find it
>it's the riot trooper, only kepy alive by his rage
>kylo ren is about to say he'll avenge him
>the trooper silences him, and with his final breath makes kylo promise to kill the betrayer
>then later in the movie

My biggest letdown with this was that relationships got too much focus and they hobbled korra's ability to reason/learn a bit to excuse things for the sake of enabling certain events... like all of season 2.

It didn't feel reasonable at all that she didn't put her foot down almost immediately.

>Not simply breaking the hold her captors have and then killing them
Is supposed to be the strongest of the helmet shooty guys.

user, they were goddamn boring. I don't care how much they accomplished, the only personality they ever showed was desire for vengeance on Kang and slight impulsivity from the male one.
They're just fucking dull, especially compared to their father who was Remender's best villain.

Wouldn't she be conditioned for maximum loyalty, as a stormtrooper? Sure, not everyone is conditioned very well, but still.

And more importantly, who gave her privilege to single-handedly disabling all the defences without alerting anyone?

Not him, but Phasma should have been the most loyal of all of the first order troops. They were literally raised to live and die for the first order.

She would have told them to just shoot her before she deactivated those shields.

She barely even resisted.

Right? And why would such a critical system only be accessible from such a remote point, and not from the main control center we kept seeing?

Not strong enough apparently. But that doesn't mean she was a let down. She wasn't advertised much and her character was never much explored in the first place

>She wasn't advertised much

>Phasma isn't a traitor.

She is totally a traitor. She should have died with honour rather than allow the death of countless of her brothers- and sisters-in-arms, as well as the defeat of the First Order.

Believe me, I would have loved for Gwendoline "the Anglo Amazon" Christie to be a badass trooper captain (her fucking armour is made of Palpatine's ship FFS), but she was trash and betrayed her allies.

We accept Batman villains escaping Arkham because it fits in the tone of the larger work.

But when a gritty crime drama has a guy several people want dead escaping dozens of times, it stretches the suspension of disbelief to its breaking point.

Like, why would Luke Cage let a guy he KNOWS can control people with his voice talk to him? He's ten times stronger than Kilgrave, he could've slapped him on the back of the head and had him out cold.

I'll give you those but she moved the plot along and served her purpose well enough. There's always hope for redemption at least.

You guys got Phasma all wrong. She was Stormtrooper middle-management.
You're supposed to see the shiny chrome armor and think 'wow, she must be a total badass, to have been given that sweet get up'
But really, she's just another officer they slapped a shiny tin can around.

Phasma has big armor, but there is a lot of empty space instead of muscles under it.

>redemption

By that do you mean proving her true loyalty to The First Order?

Moving the plot along by acting totally out of perceived character isn't good writing.

They get to make an attempt at redemption, but no one will take her seriously at all. She'll always be Captain Trash.

>But when a gritty crime drama has a guy several people want dead escaping dozens of times, it stretches the suspension of disbelief to its breaking point.
It was only 3 times, no? First one, he was bailed by the guard, second by the Trinity. The last one was kinda silly. But he never really escaped on his own
>Like, why would Luke Cage let a guy he KNOWS can control people with his voice talk to him? He's ten times stronger than Kilgrave, he could've slapped him on the back of the head and had him out cold.
All Kilgrave ever needed was to say "stop". Also, did Cage know what he looks like?

After having it applied to Hux and Kylo Ren, and now Phasma, the "lol they're not meant to be awesome" excuse is going too far with this movie.

Is it too much to ask to have a villain be an actual villain these days? "Snoke is using you!"

Why all the excuses and external reasons? Why can't a villain just be that because it's who they are?

Barry was my bigger disappointment this season.

Every time a villain escaped it was because he essentially let them.

The season story should have been over much much sooner.

She was prominintly featured in marketing materials leading up to the movie's release.

The hype for her based on her marketing prevalence and being a recognized actor is what drove expectations that she would BE something.

Maybe they can have her suddenly appear to be alive and doing revenge-looking things while being completely silent and eventually the good guys get a good shot on her that busts open the armor at the chest, but instead of dead person bits, a Dianoga comes out and starts mauling on people? Maybe a joke about thinking she was a Phasma cube in the possess.

Captain Cold on the Justice League.

Not in general, just on the Justice League.

>The bad guys consist of an angry manchild, a military brat, "Hello FN-2187. What's happening?", and a lot of disgruntled unemployed Empire soldier.

It almost feels like a satirical work.

Kylo Ren was an interesting character, but lack of anyone better than him is a mistake.

They devoted so much of the movie to making Rey look ridiculously capable that having realistically competent villains that could possibly get in the way of that just wasn't kosher.

Ominous floating head man hasn't shown his goofy nature yet

>aryan uberwomench does the will of a young black man and an old jew

Bravo, (((Abrams))).

>86248208
>Kylo Ren was an interesting character
Literally copypasted Vader, like every element of that film. D*sney Wars was a mistake.

He wasn't copypasted Vader, he is Vader fanboy that tries to emulate his evil idol and isn't very good at it. This is what makes him interesting.

Technically, a VIP officer is more valuable than hardware.

You sacrifice a billion Stormtroopers to save a Star Destroyer. You sacrifice a Star Destroyer to save an admiral.

As the supreme head of the First Order Stormtrooper Corps, the intelligence the Resistance could gain from her is more valuable than a single superweapon that only had two shots anyway and already fired one of them.

Did you not see all of the commanding officers freaking out and abandoning their posts?

There's no conceivable way Phasma was more valuable than the resources and all other officers on the starkiller.

That's also just more reason for her to make them kill her and refusing to cooperate.

The troopers are all conditioned from birth.

The officers are not.

Those weren't stormtroopers. I suppose it's plausible that captain would not be brainwashed.

But Starkiller's IT department needs to be sacked.

Being a manchild, all the fucking time, made him boring and tedious. He was so fucking one-dimensional. Fisk was done so much better. He had similar tendencies but he wasn't constantly controlled by them.

This. The damn thing is an entire planet and can regulate the energy of an entire star while staying a comfortable temperature and gravity and not harming the crew.

He wasn't one dimensional. His personality was examined from many different angles.

That Rey and Finn could even last a second against a guy TRAINED BY LUKE SKYWALKER, and with many years of combat experience and training is just bullshit. I'd buy Finn to an extent since he, like Kylo, has been trained in combat since a young age (likely even some melee training, looking at the riot control trooper), but Ma-Rey Sue's combat experience is basically just thugs. Rey feels like too many characters at once. Like she was actually two or three, but they all got compressed in to Rey.

I think it could have been a cool final fight, swap out the usual method of a lightsabre fight, and make it have Kylo Ren and Finn have a military duel.

Making Finn the force user, and Rey just some shlub who an fly pretty good, would make more sense in terms of narrative since you could explain who he was able to resist brainwashing.

"What if the Nazi SS heads escaped to Brazil, then their kids started Nazi World Conquest 2" is the concept.

The cut scenes show Hux is a chickenshit trying to live up to the legacy of his Imperial HNIC father. Phasma likewise is just another dumb Stormtrooper, and Kylo desperately wants to be Darth Vader JR.

This happened in the expanded universe too. The Imperial Remnant can't function by itself, it devolves into infighty pretentious assholes trying to cut deals with the Republic and Hutts like pirates anytime they don't have a real Imperial leader like Daala, Thrawn, or Soontir Fel.

The FO has been shaped by Snoke into something for a real villain to control.

Phasma is an officer, not a trooper. That's why she has a name and not a number.

She's like the other officers that evacuated once Hux left, just a daughter of a hero in Palpatine's Empire who wanted to be like daddy.

I just feel like this is such a cop out. Like they couldn't show the villains being legitimate for some reason. I don't get it.

That they were all three of them just losers is just disappointing. It takes away even the legacy of the Empire since it implies that there was no reason to support it in the first place, when there's plenty of reasons to in this universe.

It's like the writers couldn't even imagine that some one could weigh up all the options and agree with the Empire rather than the Republic.

I thought this movie would be above the "lol evil satan guy is behind it all" nonsense.

So at some point Kylo Ren is going to adopt a persona of Citizen Republic and bring along his "friends" for the ride?

What different angles? He was the same pathetic character throughout the entire series.

She is a trooper, she's just a commander as well.

She's an in between liason for the troopers, and we don't know for sure if she was conditioned from birth, but we do know she has a long standing involvment directly with training and leading stormtroopers in combat.

Her position is entirely that the first order comes first before anything else, so she is still a hypocrit.

He was badly wounded, and was just playing with them. Also, he didn't have some crazy extensive lightsaber training, he basically only knows how to slash and had to build a lightsaber by copying ancient designs from the Old Republic era and combining existing Clone Wars lightsaber parts.

He wanted to be the big bad dark Jedi and kill off the two Resistance agents, and was having a show of it because he was power tripping and hadn't fought in a duel before.
He didn't realize Rey was a strong Force user as well, one that had mentally blocked out her (limited) training. Blocks he broke by going into her mind.

Sure, it was way too easy a win for Rey. Should have been her out-angering him, having her teetering on the Dark Side while he was frightened by seeing what he basically does.

If the villains were competent then they wouldn't have conceivably lost in the movie.

This is why I always felt that, with this being essentially an aping of a new hope, that they should have thrown the audience for a loop and had the first order succeed in firing the weapon and destroying the resistance on the planet.

The audience would have been shocked, the villains would be established as a real threat, and the idea of what comes next would have been tantalizing as hell.

Particularly if they had leia die on the planet and Han survive and escape the base with everyone.

An angry han solo coming after his sith wannabe son would have been a significantly more interesting plotline than anything leia will offer.

Right. Like all the other officers, and Hux, she's just a spoiled child trying to win her father's war.

Remember that was the first time the First Order has fought an equal foe rather than just fucking up local populations on small planets with mass Stormtroopers. Most of those guys haven't seen combat, and Phasma has never been in a gunfight as far as we know.

You don't know how much training Kylo has.

All we know is he likely got some from luke, and then got further training from snoke, and he has combat experience.

>what you're seeing isn't real
It isn't, neither is the plastic.

Is that because Harrison Ford is still able to emote, and doesn't have a creepy doll face?

>the First Order has fought an equal foe

Not even. The resistance "fleet" was like 12 x wings.

The resistance is a complete joke.

Even one about addiction to C'ccainite snorting?

Partly, since Harrison can still perform greater feats than standing and delivering lines in a monotone.

A lot of people expected han to die this movie.

Misdirecting the whole new hope redo and having leia die would have been amazing.

That's what wiping out the Republic government was supposed to be. Everything that was built in 30 years was destroyed in one blast, including the ENTIRE Republic fleet and all ambassadors from the various worlds.

But they never built it up. It was only mentioned once.

A true subversion would cut all the scenes on Han's ship to show this grand Republic fleet ready for battle, show a functioning intergalactic government, huge amounts of troops ready to invade. Like South Korea and North Korea.

Then in an instant, all the Republic is just GONE. Starkiller Base becomes a throwaway base, it had only one shot and it made it. The remainder of the Republic forces, which is THEN called the Resistance to reflect that it is now just whatever ships and troops they can call from whatever local militias, invads Starkiller Base. They capture it from fleeing First Order forces that are delayed by infighting between Hux and Kylo (Hux wants to take the superweapon with, Kylo just wants the map) and dismantle it rather than blow it up.

There, you have subverted Attack Of The Clones, Revenge Of The Sith, A New Hope, and Empire Strikes Back.

Does at any point Starkiller unravel to turn into a giant humanoid machine with a big Darth Vader head?

I'm about to get attacked, but the Mandarin easily. Not for comic accuracy, but because terrorist Mandarin felt like the absolute perfect final boss for Iron Man.
>Not a third evil white businessman
>Leader of the Ten Rings, which in turn means he is the reason Tony got captured in the first place and is why they wanted his tech so badly. So him finally coming to finish the job would wrap up the entire trilogy nicely.
>Was being mixed with the Extremist virus story, which could have lead to a very capable nemesis, and not to mention we could have gotten Extremist versions of the terrorists from the first movie instead of a bunch of supermodels
>Kingsley has proven time and again that he makes for an extremely intimidating villain
>The dialogue made up for the trailer was great, and made him seem extremely menacing

But instead
>Evil white businessman #3
>No background beyond "I was an angry nerd"
>No personality whatsoever
>Actor was cardboard level
>Extremist soldiers are pretty supermodels
>Plan that may be the dumbest fucking evil plan ever, and doesn't take into account Congress and a million other things that can negate a president

Say what you will, but I couldn't believe they destroyed so much possibility for a 5 minute punchline.

>Republic is apparently the dominant force in the galaxy
>still funds underground """"freedom fighters"""" called the """"resistance""""

I think that would be best as well. Han ran away from the fight after Kylo Ren went to the Dark Side, so pulling him back in with such a personal reason would allow for some great growth and development. It would basically be a revenge story, with him not wanting to do it at all, but knowing he must to defeat the larger cause of the revenge in the first place.

Could even have been the WHAT A TWEEST for the movie, that the Resistance are like "...that laser's not going to ... OH SHI- "

Also some pottery in Leia going out similar to how her story in the universe started.

To be fair its supposed to be. Leia wanted an army ready to attack the First Order any time, the Republic wanted every planet to have its own large militia which would be joined by the modest Republic fleet so nobody could just take control of all military forces at once like Palpatine did. Leia's force was basically a paramilitary rebel group waiting for the chance to fight, pretending to be a planetary militia. Leia had sent a representative (black chick on the balcony) to beg for them to be ready at a moments notice. Instead the FO blew the entire Republic and its fleet to dust in one moment.

Sadly, none of this was stated in the movie and was left to be explained in books.

Leia literally can't do shit. In the OT she was a rebel with plot armor, now she can't even run around and shoot a blaster without braking her hips. Ford could have at least flown the Falcon and taken a pot-shot or two.

It would have made the need to then go find luke immensely more pressing.

Old Luke and Han would have gotten time together, which honestly were the real characters from the original trilogy that would have good chemistry together.

No, but Kylo losing Vader's helmet in the invasion and completely not giving a fuck about the massive loss in FO forces has potential.

Meh, ignore the IM3 defenders.
No matter how much you argue with them all they can say is "MUH MANDARIN" and "no one cares about Mandarin anyway" and block out all the constructive criticism.

It's just that with the resistance having essentially NOTHING the first order's hatred of them is extremely nonsensical.

Resistance is their name for PR reasons.

>Starkiller Base becomes a throwaway base, it had only one shot and it made it.

Could be funny and a little frightening as well. Like everyone goes shooting on down to the based and find it totally empty, shut down, and useless. No soldiers, guards, nobody.

They could destroy it, but it's a victory that comes too late. It would be like if Japan bombed the Manhattan Project research and development site the day after Hiroshima or Nagasaki.

It's not focused on in the film, but they did. They launched a successful decapitation strike against the New Republic.

Yeah. I mean, we know the Resistance had been working against them in small operations, but that's a thorn in your side. The Republic is their enemy, an enemy they literally beat already. In one fucking blast.

The next course of action is to try to invade as many territories as possible, wiping out the militia fleets before they can organize while the Resistance tries to marshall every planet in the universe individually into actually forming an army.

I mean, the First Order won. Now it just has to take territory. The movie treats it like that was just the loss of another planet, sosad all the people died, not not the defeat it really is.

That did zero to make them look menacing to the audience because the new republic didn't matter at all to them.

They were just an alderan standin.

The resistance leadership was the only target the audience had any investment in, just like yavin 4 in a new hope.

It also shows the dedication of the First Order not to longterm victory, but just destroying their enemies.

Phasma isnt really an admiral, or even a strategist. She was a glorified strike team commander, at the very highest her authority is probably comparable to that of a colonel.