How English influenced is your langauge?

How English influenced is your langauge?
>Flag
>It's pretty bad. English words are used for even many native words now

We say Facebook

Actually, WE influenced their language.

Yesterady I heard a teenager on the bus say "really" and "c'mon" alongside Russian words.

>Wales
>Pretty bad, most Welsh people now only speak English or use many loan words in their cymraeg. For example, growing up, I called my grandfather 'taidy'. This is a mix of the welsh word 'taid' and the english suffix '-y' eg. daddy or mummy.

>tfw no welsh sheep gf to call me daddy

>sister found the carbonized cymraeg

>When you lose the language war and now your linguistic claim to fame is how you influenced a your rival a near millennia ago.

We use "fak" as a less vulgar "kurwa"
It's interesting how foreign swearwords are treated as less offensive than they are simply because they're foreign

Why don't you nips just invent more words or do that thing you do where you take our word and make it more nippy- like with the word "Konpyūtā" for computer. Japanese is gonna be half English by the end of the century.
>he thinks wales is a real country

he captivated the guy who captivated a thousand guys

Listen here you little shits

Barely, we dub every movie you can think of

Loanwords from English
>skateboard
>gay
>weekend
Pretty much all.

>A non cuck German

You must be a Nazi

Quebec
Pretty bad. The worst part is the fucking denial, or even worse the people who try to justify it. It makes me want to gauge my eyes out whenever I see such behaviour.

Unfortunately the entire francophone is affected by this shit as well. Not quite as much as we are, but it's still pretty bad.

HATE

We are doomed.
A lot of english words are used in companies.
>email
>speech
>draft
>meeting

In everyday life:
>weekend
>parking
>cool
>football
...and many more.

Newfoundlander. Like Scotland we do speak "English" but it's incomprehensible to many people.

>Eternal island jew cucks the entire world into speaking his language
anglo genocide when?

Not too bad, most people grow out of using english loanwords as the get older.
The biggest foreign influence in our language actually from the gaelic languages, we have quite a few names and words that have been in use for a long time that have come from irish/scots

It is influencing the slang a lot. Otherwise surprisingly little.

Yeah, but we are barely able to use non English words for clothing and IT-related stuff. And dubs are fucking trash, even though ours are not that bad compared to dubs from other cunts

Japanese is/was already majority Chinese words. It has had some European words for a while now. Making it more 'nippy-like' is actually just adopting the word as any language would, making it fit the language's constraints and specifics. That's what a loanword is.

You lads reckon the world will coalesce in vocabulary eventually? Obviously other parts of language cannot be changed so easily, so they'll likely remain, at least mostly intact. But as for words that the typical human in their day-to-day life uses, though they'd be different given different phonology, they would still sound 'samey' and the mannerisms would all be very similar. Do you think this'll happen? I don't mean lexicon overall, I mean the casual/common word usage/mannerisms. Interesting to see how language mixing and borrowing works in such a globalistic, interconnected world.

>Making it more 'nippy-like' is actually just adopting the word as any language would, making it fit the language's constraints and specifics. That's what a loanword is.
Yeah I get that. But they seem to have a trend also of just outright taking the words and not altering them- and then the people can barely pronounce them. Loanwords are fine I think but just outright taking words is taccy

two words from English that have been incorporated to Argentine Spanish, to the point in which people don't see them as foreign, are ok/okay (pronounced oquei), and the verb chequear/noun chequeo, from English "to check something".
chequeo is used for what the doctor does when he examines you, or you need to get x rays or blood tests. but can be used for any examination.

chequear basically means examinate something/someone to discover its problem, or corroborate something is as it should be.

and the English word for "check" comes from French, which comes from Latin and then Arabic, and that one from Persian.

>But they seem to have a trend also of just outright taking the words and not altering them- and then the people can barely pronounce them
What do you exactly mean by that? Actually all gairaigo in Japanese are adapted phonologically and therefore they are uttered with Japanese phonemes, it's a better strategy than other languages where semi-bilingual and bilingual speakers pronounced loanwords with non-native phonemes untill the loanword becomes established in the language.

dont drag everything into identity politics, edgelord
you dont know shit

Considering I was never immersed in a French or Anishinaabemowin environment, even at home with a metis father and his metis parents... yeah, it's pretty English around here.

As for Anglic-English influence, we use a lot of u's and ise's, and apologize as an introduction.

Japanese, just like Korean, Icelandic and other central and eastern European languages, has gone through a purification process where a large part of loanwords have been replaced by native formations, for example the word for "electricity" in Japanese used to be "エレキシテイト" until it was replaced by "電気" (でんき).

>only two words
do you say "balompié" instead of football?
and what do you say instead of casting?
and catering?
cd?
dj?
flash?
hacker?
hobby?
jeans?
rating?
ticket?
zapping?

and I'm probably forgetting loads of them.

>It's pretty bad
Actually, it isn't "that" bad, the thing is that basically all loanwords in Japanese are written in katakana so they stand out really easily, loanwords exists in all languages but if they were borrowed a long time ago and if the loanword has been adapted not only phonologically but also morpho-syntactically the speakers of that language are not going to perceive that the loanword is a loanword because it behaves just like any other word, unlike recent loanwords where they can be pronounced with some phonemes from the donor language or when recent loanwords cannot be used in compounds or reduplicated forms, this is only further reinforced by the fact that in Japanese almost all loanwords are written with katakana, and therefore it's easier for speakers to (most of the time) accurately point out that they are indeed foreign.

Nice to see we're still worth something at least.

Only because the Romans cucked you first

TO BAD
ME HATE ENGLISH
KILL FRENCH THOUGH

we're talking american tho

fuk u it still counts
don't take this away from me man, I'm still recovering from Hong Kong.

I think a good candidate to exemplified my point would be the word "南瓜", you know, this is a Japanese word, it's not a weird word maybe you'd heard it multiple times, it can appear in a normal real-life conversation and it's even written with Chinese characters, but what a lot of people doesn't know is that "南瓜" is actually a loanword, yes that's right a loanword, it comes from the Portuguese word for the country of "Cambodia" but given that is borrowing happened in the not-so-recent-past and it behaves gramatically as a regular and it's written with kanji instead of katakana, the word is perceived as a native Japanese word even though originally was Portuguese. A higher proportion of loanwords in other languages compared to Japanese are like "南瓜" and that's why they don't really perceive to have a lot of loanwords even though they do.

another one would be "煙管" but that word is not really that common and I think I've seen it written in katakana before.

HE MУЖЧИHA A — OБЛAКO B ШTAHAХ

cyka

I think we use relatively less English loanwords than most western languages, mainly because our language academy constantly invents Hebrew alternatives, many of which catch on.
For example, I'm pretty sure Hebrew is the only language other than English that calls Football and Basketball by a nativized named (Kadurregel and Kadursal) and not just "futbol" and "basketbol"

nice

This map should really seperate translations of ''football'' and transcriptions of ''football''

it's so sad

Nogomet and košarka in Croatian
Knattspyrna and körfuknattleikur in Icelandic

what if some are both?

which ones are translations?
all of the latin alphabet ones are transliterations.

>which ones are translations?
Arabic (map is showing "كرة القدم" but "فوتبول " is used also in some countries)
Breton
Chinese
Estonian
Finnish
Georgian
Greek
Hebrew
Icelandic (the map is showing "fótbolti" but "knattspyrna" is more common)
Karelian
Malayalam
Manx
Scottish Gaelic
Tamil
Welsh

in the gaming community we use shitloads of english words while talking spanish

BONUS

In Mexico, Guatemala, Honduras, Nicaragua, Costa Rica and Paraguay "futbol" is the term used, not "fútbol"

We use lots of anglicisms when talking about sports.
> fútbol
> golf
> líder (many people believe "líder" and "liderar" are legit Spanish words)
> córner
> tenis
> boxeo
> club

Around 30% of words are english and that is NOT counting the loanwords which we have norwegianyfied

>> líder (many people believe "líder" and "liderar" are legit Spanish words)
This is the phenomenon I was talking about where loanwords become so assimilated that they are perceived as native words even though they ultimately aren't, in the same vein, the English words "corner" and "tennis" come from French, "box" from Latin and "club" from Norse. And "golf" might have come from Dutch as well.

Are there non-english words for golf and tennis? Assuming they come from English which I'm not sure

some languages call tennis "net ball"

>and Paraguay
*Panama

I’m a Spanish student in Germany and have gone to the cinema here several times.
I cringe every time words like “Mr.”, “Sir”, “Miss” are not translated to german in the german dubs, you can even notice how the people who did the voice over exaggerate an American accent when doing so, it’s pathetic.

There's some loanwords in standard Slovene (like dizajn - design) and a bunch more in colloquial use (fak, šit, kul, ful).
I fight against Angl dominance with using as many German loanwords as possible, as that is what Slovene is, not these gay English loanwords.

Surprisingly not that bad. literally just the concept of the euro calender is transliterated i guess?
we have something like, less than 20 words borrowed from french
injun languages are pretty resistant to borrowings

based Ireland

We have a lot of loan words, but it's kinda hazy because parts of english english language is just slightly changed nordic words, for example words like "bag" and "window" comes from norse.
The weird thing about loan words here are that we "norwegifiy" them, so it's pronounced as if it was a norwegian word. Makes it hard to even notice if you've just used a loan word because it just sounds norwegian and is even spelt differently.

you should be using slavic-loan words not g*rman

I don't know, I live in Northern Germany where they speak Crypto-English anyways.

>wanting to sound uncool

Chinese

People use full, fuckfriend, 'befo/a' (from bf as in best friend) in everyday speech and no one bats an eye.

>the language war

Pretty bad for modern words like teilifís for television but overall Latin had more influence on regular words, somehow.

We have a small portion of our vocabulary that is of English origin, which doesn't bother me a lot. What I hate
is when people with piss poor Maltese vocabulary aren't able to form a proper Maltese sentence so they just use English
words instead of Maltese ones. What's worse is the fucking trend of writing English words in the way we read them or
just butcher an English word into Maltese, again instead of using the Maltese word.

Air Conditioner ---> Ea Kon
Remote Controller ----> Rimo Kon
Personal Computer---> Paso Kon

Ful is not an English loanword, it is the German word viel (much, lots) disguised as an English word. That's why we say 'ful kul', which wouldn't make much sense in English.

>Nogomet and košarka in Croatian

We borrowed those words. At least I suspect they were Croatian first due to some older people pronouncing them with the stress on the first syllable as though they were speaking Croatian.

Well, Irish has alot of loanwords from old, middle and modern english which is a bit gay. But what is nice is that alot of people, at least where I live speak with a lot of irish words and phrases thrown in. Even if it's only a small thing like saying scéal instead of story it still makes me pleased.

In addition to "futbol", we also have its straight calque "nogomiach", but it's only used ironically, unfortunately

American is almost identical to English except we don't say "innit"

we use several english terms in tech related stuff
and we say weekend for some reason

>soooo butthurt

Mate, you're a native English speaker. Of course your language is going to be influenced by English.

well, we don't translate name of sports and 'weekend' is shorter than 'fin de semaine'...

Slavic loanwords are as bad as non-Slavic ones. A language should only consist of words coming from its straight ancestor and the languages of the peoples assimilated by its speakers.

So do we (vikend). That's because 'konec tedna' is too much of a mouthful in comparison.

>soccer
Our actual football league calls it football. We call Australian football "footy", rugby "rugby" and and rugby league "change the fucking channel, will you?"

You don't have a word for "day off"?

'dela prost dan' or 'praznik' (meaning holiday)

Next to none. Some words are used colloquially due to the influences of Facebook and other social networks. Some words that don't have Vietnamese equivalents (like "meme") are adapted.

thankyou for using our language!

Okay, that explains it. Here only pretentious faggots say "uikend". Normally we say "vyhodnye" (days-off) instead.

>say "really" and "c'mon" alongside Russian words

I'd like to beat all shit out of everyone who does that.

Nemška beseda ima res primernejši pomen, ampak da bi iz nemščine prevzeli kako besedo v zadnjih max. 2 desetletjih se mi zdi malo verjetno. Moja stara mama prav gotovo nikoli ni uporabila besede ful.

That reminds me, we also sometimes say 'broke' instead of 'brez denarja'

>Next to none.
Is it because you get all your loanwords from French, or do you just make up Vietnamese equivalents for modern technology and stuff?

They are either from Chinese or native Vietnamese.

French influence is also insignificant.

To razlago sem pobral od Američana Michaela Manskeja, ki je svoj čas pri nas imel radijsko oddajo. Res pa je mogoče, da ljudje, ki so prvi začeli uporabljati izraz ful, niso dobro obvladali angleščine ali pa so znali nekaj malega obeh germanskih jezikov (tako kot večina naših gimnazijcev) in so mislili, da sta ful in viel pomensko eno in isto.

Unfortunately, it's more than half are english derivatives, especially IT and modern items. Somehow we're following Indonesian retarded spellings to compensate the words of English. Day by day, more Malay words equivalent are ditched out from the stream media. The propagator of this "language is old fashion, let's change the letters of English word into malay" mindset is the retarded Google Translate and the lazy bums in the national language department, no efforts in preserving the language. Within 10 years, if nothing is being done, we will definitely become the pseudo English tongue like the Phillipines.
Whenever I posted on the plebook. I'd always do both English and Malay translation so I won't loose my skills in the later language.

dubliners and nordies have a habit of calling it foootball instead of soccer

Na prvi pogled se res zdi čudno, ampak ko dobro pomislim, to ni nič novega - na enak način vsaj v mojem koncu uporabljamo besedo poln (ful folka - pouhn folka).