Why haven't we reached the cyberpunk future promised in the 80's

why haven't we reached the cyberpunk future promised in the 80's

Other urls found in this thread:

fortune.com/2016/08/16/nsa-hack-auction-shadow-brokers-cyber-weapons/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>2016
>still in meatspace

jews?

Because hoarding large amounts of wealth in bank accounts to create larger amounts of wealth isn't conducive to technological progress.

It's essentially what would happen if the first spears ever produced became a currency, and were never used to hunt, just 'hoarded' for their value.

We basically have, and it's only just beginning.

The dystopian writers were right instead

>says the man living in the most prosperous period, with the highest standard of living and an ever increasing rate of technological change.

k..

Japan never became the top-dog world super power like the Cyberpunk authors and envisionists thought they would by now.

Because all Cyberpunk is really is just an exaggerated reimagining of Asian cities and technology, with some white people thrown in to the mix. You can still find your Cyberpunk-esque city easily in East Asia. Especially cities like Hong Kong, Bangkok, Shanghai, Seoul or Tokyo. A lot of cities in China actually are very Cyberpunk-esque.

>why haven't we

>e sports
>soc media
>China/US cyber war
>NSA
>Assange

But you're living in it right now user. Its why Cyberpunk is a dead genre.

>Super computers that fit in your pocket
>1337 h4x0rz everywhere
>Destopian societies ruled by Mega Corps
>A cesspool of diversity clogging the ghettos of giant hive cities
>Constant war and rioting
>Somewhere in the distance rumors of another global war stir

You're not wrong. Rather than focusing on intelligent and invention, we decided to focus on 'multiculturalism' and sports. Our society took a nosedive in the 50s when the jews we allowed into our country began to take power in hollywood, the media, and even politics.

But we practically have.

Where's my flying car cunt.

Where's my household robotics, when I was fucking 4 years old back in early 90s my mom said to me that when I'm older there will be robots that will do the cooking and serving... Where are they?

Both Flying cars AND household robotics are possible and easily achievable if we weren't so lazy and lacking in funds to do it.

/thread

You're confusing cyberpunk with 50s US utopianism.

Feminism and multiculturalism

no true technocrat elected leaders

Uh, they run the EU. Or are you laboring under the notion that they'd be "competent"?

Well what happened to that then.

It's just getting started, even if on the outside our cities still look a lot like they did back in the 90s, of all settings the original Deus Ex got it right.

But we have. It just looks different.

> why haven't we reached the cyberpunk future promised in the 80's
What? You mean by the likes of William Gibson? (who coined the phrase)

Check this one out. Read his new shit, he has refined the concept. You will be BTFO. Parkaboy.

Not Technocrats. Close to every single one of them was a politician before being appointed. Look at the Commissioner for Economic and Financial affairs, he only has a crummy DEA in economics, most of his studies revolved around becoming a politician and he has been one from day 1. Same goes for most of the commissioners.

If anything the EU is failing because it is NOT Technocratic enough and the EU execs are too prone to political lobbying and ideological thinking.

you have self-driving electric cars, what do you want.

There are also electric drone helicopters in the making, but the battery tech is still behind ( capacity/weight ratio is low).

read that book 12years ago.amazing. how are the next 2 books in the trilogy?

The nukes never dropped.

Cyberpunk doesn't come for another 150 years

We are, leave you village Cleetus.

nice conspiracy

Taxpayers have to use their money to subsidise the unsustainable immigration and breeding of shitskin parasites instead of colonising the galaxy.

underrated

>If anything the EU is failing because it is NOT Technocratic enough and the EU execs are too prone to political lobbying and ideological thinking.
Not Real Communismâ„¢.

Not as riveting but still on point with social commentary, the way Gibson drove the story through the dissection of semiotics in almost every scene, it was like an education. Haven't read 3 because 2 didn't really wrap itself in that, it was a pretty generic story with gadget references.

Man, there is that great bit about Japan and how the sudden drop of the bomb and then rebuild gave a new gloss to Japan without destroying the aesthetic. That was probably the first redpill i got. Britain still has its red phone and post boxes. These physical things decay and become disused or ignored, perpetuation of culture is the bedrock.

Because good men like Donald Trump are fighting against the dystopia.

Are you doing your part, citizen?

The 50's were an abberration.

The allies had industry that was intact and the other half of the world was starving/desperatley rebuilding using our matierials.

The war generation all shit out 3 to 5 kids which massivley increased the population and thus tax revenues, and provided a glut of laborers for the factories.

But it only lasted a decade and everyone has been trying to get back to a state of societey that only existed as a post-war bubble in the first place.

If you look at history economic instability and uncwrtain living conditions are actually the norm.

This. We need to found new cities based on futuristic design, instead of trying to modify the urban mess we currently have. Corporate cucks just want to build glass and steel cocks, which look ridiculous next to classical architecture.

Literally

Hoarding...until something of note comes along, then they sperg out.
If they didn't do this you would just have China but some 70 years ago. look at ford. There were more and more designs becoming available then, trains were an option. The whole infrastructure ended up being designed to work with his solutions. Its impatience that will cause dystopia. So really everyone should calm it down. But then..."refugees" and aspiring citizens of former communists countries enter the mix and get the irreproachably rich globalist money grabbers drooling at the mouth.
They spend too much, control too much, not too little.
Cyberpunk dystopia isn't the preferred destination.

You noticed too? why are architects doing this?
>lets build a new sky scraper that looks totally different from anything
>...... Ive got it!
>it will be a 900 foot tall rainbow colored dildo!
>GENIUS!

The Japanese and Korean elderly are being taken care of with robots
Several of my collegues have robot vacuum cleaners
Electric cars are breaking through
Stem cell therapy is curing incurable diseases
VR is just taking off

look what they did to the Liverpool waterfront

Artificial wombs are already in animal testing

Smaller creatures with simpler nueral systems are already being remote controlled by chips planted in thier brains

Cybernetic prostetics are about a decade out

Railguns and lasers are about to start being mounted on military vessels

The next generation of flying killer robots will probably be atleast partially autonomous

Every human being in the developed world carries around a pocket sized computer equipped with HD camera and a microphone that the government can use to spy on them

Things are getting pretty cyberpunk, just not in the aestetic that the 80's imagined.

Ulike the movies or games where a slick badass has high-speed adrenalin filled adventures we arent the main charecter evading private security goons while infiltrating the opposing corporations server rooms to plant a data mining bug in order to carry out agressive corporate espionage.

Were the janitor who thinks he heard something but decides not to care because his shit pay isnt high enough for him to care whether that was the server room door closing when nobody is supposed to be there or not.

First of all we weren't promised anything.

Second of all, we mostly have. Society today can best be described as a TV tuned to no channel, no direction and no narrative. Just a mess of background radiation. The antenna looks for an analog signal, but there are none.

It just doesn't look as cyberpunk as you want. Even then we have pocket computers and the Internet which is magic compared to what people in the twentieth century had.

You are a genuine brit, so I gotta ask a question.

You guys did not even save 1 battleship to be a floating museum, when you guys find grandpa's sten gun that he stashed in the attic in case the krauts invaded you turn it in to the cops, and instead of put it in a museum somewhere to educate kids about how you fuckers stood alone against the nazi hordes for a year, etc etc etc.

It seems like there is a concerted effort to erase your own history within your country.

Just an outsiders perspective. Whats goin on over there?

>Society today can best be described as a TV tuned to no channel, no direction and no narrative. Just a mess of background radiation. The antenna looks for an analog signal, but there are none.

By the way, this is a reference to Neuromancer. Also remember that the DTV switchover happened.

But we have... Except for scifi stuff like fancy cyber implants and sentient AI all the "predictions" have become real. The world is ruled by globalist corps instead of elected governments, surveillance up the ass, virtual reality, many people spend plenty more time on the internet than in "real life", china has become a superpower, and so on. Just because we don't have cyber samurais running through the shadows of megatowns doesn't mean the social, political and economic situations predicted by cyberpunk authors aren't reality already.

>tfw no running in the shadows to steal intel from megacorps to sell to other megas or the black market

why couldn't it have been dragons
why did we get jews

This

All its missing is the aesthetic and I bet we will get there in the next 10 years

Doppelkeks

Jews=dragons
Muslims=Orcs
Chinese=dwarves

Guess we're the elves then, eh?

source: your arse

Humanity stalled after the 60's and then started regressing.

Japan is working on it, some areas like Tokyo are already quite close. Chink megacities too I guess

I kinda thought about it and just bet that once consumer robotics come out a lot of people are going to dress them up like scifi series they liked as young adults and give them personality emulators to match.

Im imagining a lot of C-3p0's and whatnot will be running around.

Me, im totally gonna kit my house robot butler out to look and act like KLEO the assaultron from fallout 4.

What are The bulls then Herr Prepper?

Islam, niggers and jewish scheming.

Why do asians make such cyberpunk-esque cities

The problem is that Japan is too traditional with its attire codes. By yeah it's close as fuck.

Soon enough better ways of interacting with computers will hit the market like bracelets and watches and special glasses and then the actual cyberpunk aesthetic will develop around it.

I just hope I'm still young enough to enjoy it by then.

>KLEO butler
>not Makoto Kusenagi maid

I think Frankfurt has a pretty cyberpunk looking skyline.

We're almost there. 2025 will literally be a different world. Massive technological unemployment is coming. Machines always came for manual and physical jobs, now they'll be doing cognitive work and ideation wont be enough to make ends meet. Neural networks, machine learning, and the ever growing capabilities of ANI will converge into AGI. After that, all bets are off for predictions.

Here's one more secret: aging will be solved by 2025. Will the cure be wide spread? Not in the US, but it will be widely available.

fortune.com/2016/08/16/nsa-hack-auction-shadow-brokers-cyber-weapons/

You're just missing out

Plus evading the Government is a bitch if u wanna do crime

What makes you think it will be widely available except in the us?

The future...... is here.....

Huh?
Because it's 2016 you stupid goy. Even the earliest Deus Ex takes place 10 years from now. Shadowrun is around 2050

We have cyber eyes on development in Australia (expect by 2020), powered exoskeletons already in use by civilians in Japan (HAL5) and in development for military uses in the USA (SARCOS), along with Hugh Herr's advanced robotic legs. Hell the americans are even developing jetpacks, except they turned out to be useless for flying so they instead greatly enhance running speed and reduce runner's fatigue
Now that Pokemon Go exists, I suspect a project like Google Glass will also be restarted because of the new economic prospects of layered reality

Basically give it 15-30 more years for a full cyberpunk stetting, it'll become notably more pronounced atleast by 2025 or so

> muh 1% not givin me muh gibbesmedat

Once a retarded criminal always a retarded criminal i see.

>why haven't we reached the cyberpunk future

what we need: brilliant engineers and scientists of every topic

what we got: millions of illiterate immigrants that are called refugees by the media.

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe....

Yeah but I ain't talking about just the skyline. Walking around the streets of Tokyo you really do get the cyberpunk feel, while European metropolis is either a glass and cement maze with a few old as fuck beauties and some kike phallus monument or a corner/kebab shop tumour with its burka covered roaches reminding me of the third world.

How many blacks are in those worlds?

Niggers are eating up all our tax dollars.

Cyberpunk 2020 is only 4 years from now, retard. Shadowrun is for faggots.

1% is genuine cancer that needs to be purged. Don't even try to start shit like "work goy and you will get there" because you never will.

It's because of whatever marginalized group you've chosen to hate this week. Just kidding, it's because predicting the future is notoriously difficult.

We have, by early 00s. Thinking that we haven't is part of the game.

What do you even do outside of cyberworld? Buy groceries?

tfw

It's bound to happen after the next big war (assuming it's not a MAD scenario), just like it happened with WW2.
>big war starts
>tech escalation ensues
>war is over
>military tech recycled for civilian uses

Cyberpunk is not about aesthic, it's about relations of production. The aesthic sort of grows out of it naturally, and of course it's going to look different in different parts of the world.

building the deathstar would be possible if only we had $5 sextillion lying around somewhere

Quite fond of Moscow's

Lack of universal healthcare, friendo

because you have to babysit and coddle africans, arabs and muslims.

Just another childhood dream that didn't come true.
Like having a good job, lots of friends, a social life, etc.

>watch streamers play this new deus ex game
>wonder what all the fuzz is about
>intro mission set in Dubai
>Adam tries to secure some gun deal going down or whatever
>suddenly ambush by muslim looking guys in cloaks stealing the guns
>later operator boss goes on about that they couldnt have been """real jihadists""" because they were using body augmentation and as everyone knows, no real muslims do that ;^)
>later Adam travels to fucking Praha
>meets with ugly monkey looking black girlfriend with dyed hair
>cops are all white xenophobes who oppress the poor augmented people and hold them at gunpoint on the streets

plot is some unneccessarily convuluted mess, blaming a shadowy illuminati group lead by an old white guy and playtime seems to be

Fuck sake.. of course they couldnt follow HR with anything even half as decent.
Dunno why I even hoped this wouldnt be progressive diversity trash.

>later operator boss goes on about that they couldnt have been """real jihadists""" because they were using body augmentation and as everyone knows, no real muslims do that ;^)

I'm glad retards like you are trashed on Sup Forums. I always knew faggots who complained about that kind of shit were from pol. I should have known.

Why dont you go back there you fucking niggerfaggot?

> re eee let me put political statements in h games but I want to be exempt from criticism

Because dystopian forget that we can fuse nature and modern future

One would traditionally think multiculturalism would help innovation.

Corporate Espionage is a pretty big market, though.

joke's on you, I never visited Sup Forums after 2009 or so
enjoy your circlejerking safe space community though kiddo ;^)

You complain that people on Sup Forums have an opinion different from you, and conclude that it's only because they post on Sup Forums - and you say this WHILE POSTING ON Sup Forums

There's a special lack of awareness about you.
Are you an NPC by chance? You don't strike me as human, but rather a barely conscious robot.

Incentive & technological singularity.

The money, resources are there. But so much is being wasted due to corruptism and wrong allocation of resources.

But on the bright side, it is inevitable. Technological advance will always catch up eventually. The only thing that can ruin us is a nuclear war, whatever that means or an extinction event from outer space.

We decided it would be better to help out the failed species native to Africa.

meant for

>not turning your criminals into lobotomized cyber labor drones

Its like we dont even want the 20th century to be cool.