Dig tunnel from Sahara to under the ocean

>dig tunnel from Sahara to under the ocean
>at Saharan end of tunnel dig several kilometre deep pit
>160-200C temperatures at bottom of the giant pit, allowing desalination of water to occur at an extremely fast rate
>turbines added to top so it's all functional as a geothermal power station
>amount of steam being produced is so large that there's a permanent mini thunderstorm and rain over a large area
>tunnel modified to filter out algae at the Saharan end, and algae blooms created at the ocean end by addition of nitrogen to the water
>area being blanketed in cloud causes ground level air to primarily blow away from the vent due to the temperature change
>collected algae is thus left to decompose in strips radiating away from the vent as mingling with the sand will occur slower with that placement
>a spire is built around the vent, which is a giant helix that also functions as a railway for smaller buildings
>small buildings constructed offsite, and pushed up the spire
>spire is now constantly hit by aforementioned thunderstorm, as the thunderstorm is being produced from the steam coming out the top alone
>have lighting strikes hit huge capacitive plates, allowing their energy to be collected at a reasonable wattage
>end result is a greening and irrigation of a good chunk of the Sahara, as well as huge amounts of power and salt being generated
>all this digging and construction is performed by locals who will accept dollars a day as pay, and they are managed remotely by people controlling RC blimps
Nothing will go wrong with this plan.

What does this have to do with politics?

that sounds pretty fucking sweet, we need more massive terraforming plots

Except the pipe to hell will block up from deposits. Why not closed loop geothermal?

Play dubstep so loud at the bottom that the salt is frail enough to vacuum up.
Alternatively, you could dig two tunnels to the ocean, with the lower one going outwards due to carrying more salt, but then it's extra digging work and you have to make sure that you don't end up with all the water evaporating before it goes through the lower pipe and the system clogging up anyway; not to mention that you don't get absurd amounts of free salt.

Hey, I remember you

>all this digging and construction is performed by locals

Overseeing the work isn't hard.

Nigger what locals? The few nomads that live in the Sahara have no use for dollars, they are self sufficient. If you plan on transporting people from the nearest settlements to work, you are going to have different groups clashing, the only thing they will have in common is that they are brown and lazy. Did Empire of Dust teach you nothing?

Now usually the cost of labour is one of the most expensive parts of a building project but with what you are proposing it is negligible, it would be so expensive that you might aswell spend on getting it done properly.

What is the end goal here? This isn't cost effective, you will use more energy and money in creating it than you will ever get back from it.

The end goal is creating rainfall in the Sahara, as well as an idiotic piece of infrastructure which has astounding capabilities that can only be described as "retard strength".

By the way, say that one man with a pick can dig through a cubic metre of rock in a day, and for their day's work they recieve two dollars or something equivalent as a mix of wage and provisions.
Assuming picks are cheap because you have a few people manufacturing them onsite, and and hauling of the excavated rock isn't a major trial due to regular outlets of the tunnel, then could a thousand kilometres of 2x3 metre tunnel not be dug for just 12 million dollars?
Obviously one would have to assume a far higher cost because nothing works out so well in practice, but even if it was a billion dollars it would be great.

build more pylons

Convince France and the legion to take back algeria and you could get it done

water vapor is a greenhouse gas, what is the impact of this project on global warming?

Is Algeria directly fucking with anyone who tries to do anything in the Sahara, or is it just indirectly through the Polisario?

Clouds reflect a lot of light too though.

If you could get the water part to work, the sand in the Sahara is very nutrient dense so it would make good farm land. It would however fuck up the Amazon in South America as sand from the Sahara blown in from Africa is one of the primary fertilization sources.

Whut? What kind of nutrients are in sand?

This one too

I'm aware, but honestly the Amazon can survive a small amount of the Sahara being greened.

Now I'm wondering though, what was the Amazon like before the Sahara was a desert?

this is madness, this would create an habitat where many thousands of muslims would live and breed, we don't need that.

Neat pic, it'd be better though if there was proper reasoning given for the routes though.

Never knew that the depression went that deep, I always thought the deepest point was 60-something metres.

Not much different than today. Amazon has been a jungle for millions of years, the Sahara was green only 20k years ago

This is a pretty great plan, who did you steal it from.

>to hell

>land/tunnel connection from Europe to Africa
This is not how you polder

IT's JEWSICKS you FAGgOT

Why Sahara? Why not California? Also I doubt extracting electricity from lightning strikes will be more efficient than just using the steam to turn turbines.
t. Electrical engineer

>africa-european land connection
and you think immigration is insane right now?

That assumes that the tunnel comes from a northern or eastern ocean.
If you approach the Sahara from the southwest, the tunnel will pass through a Christian country, although it would be further to the Qattara depression.
I don't think that it's necessary to reach the Qattara depression though, in fact if you avoided it then you could end up creating some small rivers which is better than a big lake; except that a lake would help if the idea of creating algae blooms which you suck from the ocean plan fails, since algae blooms could be created in the lake.

So, the loss of winds from the Sahara probably isn't a disaster.

The pit needs to be able to evaporate large amounts of water.
Evaporation rate is proportional to temperature (increases with pit depth) and surface area of pit (increases with pit depth).

Why not both?

> Easier road between Europe and Africa
It's like you want us to get even more rapefugee.

> Dam on Gibraltar
Even with a lock, it would basically kill any naval circulation in Mediterranean. Which would also kill the traffic avoiding Africa via Suez.

> Hoping to have most Mediterranean countries to agree.
EU can barely have an agreement about what color a rug should be, and they are supposed to be close allies. This would also involve Africa, Middle East (including the Jews) and Russia (since it would impair it's naval access).

> 2 Dams with and insane amount of land and people behind them
A.k.a terrorist wet dream.
And even without terrorism, this would still be a very easy-to-destroy target in a war scenario.

1/10, would only support in a world devoid of Muslims, Jews, and where EU annexed both Africa and Middle East.

>a world devoid of Muslims, Jews
just came a bit

Sm-smoke weed every day

That is the dumbest idea I have ever seen.
>lower the med sea
>suddenly the micro climates that water the areas near the med sea have no where to get water from
>become arid because at that latitude your only hope of avoiding poor climatic conditions are micro climatic conditions.

t. Person from an area with a Mediterranean climate

Oh and we have cold fronts, I doubt the land around the med has that.

theyre already doing this in western australia, shits fucked though.

you cant so deep in sand didnt you play in sandbak when u was young

That actually seems like a good idea.

Makes the area around it more usable significantly.

I don't get why this hasen't been done yet. That would hinder the advance of the sahara.

>why don't we do the same in the middle of Aus near lake eyre

Assuming they were trenches of water from the med sea of course.

>canal from venice to the mediterrean

a 2000 kilometer canal?

that's an apocalyptic scenario.

>have lighting strikes hit huge capacitive plates, allowing their energy to be collected at a reasonable wattage
???

Lightning is a few million volts. The highest voltage we use for transmission is 1,200kv. Not to mention the amperage surge you would have. But you know that the average lightning strike is 1/4th kwh.

We pay 20 cents per kwh, a lightning bolt only will save us a nickel per strike.

I dunno I'm just a Florida man it rains sometimes here.

Khadaffi was busy with the Great Man Made Project. The goal? Free and abundant water for all Libyans. The means to achieve it? Drill up the aquifers.

Really a shame there were (((circumstances))) warranting the end of both him and his dream.

Umm where does the salt go once the water boils?
I suspect the bore holes would get clogged with salt or at least the salt would reduce the out put to near zero after very short amount of time.

Bullshit theres like a gigawatt of electricity in a single average bolt. Enough to power a couple dozen homes for a whole day

>gigawatt of electricity
> Enough to power a couple dozen homes for a whole day

Nigga, one GW is enough to power one million people with the average consumption of an American.

gotta do something about the salt, unless you dig so deep it gets destroyed (but by digging that deep you might fuck up the borehole)

How about a solar updraft tower?

Why don't we terra form the moon?

here is a better idea i am worse at drawing though

>doesn't require penetrating high-temperature rock
>doesn't totally fuck up the weather, turning arid desert into permanent thunderstorm
lame

A single lightning strike lasts only a second though. You're thinking of a GWh

>Gibraltar building not even close to gibraltar
>closing russian access to the mediterranean
>Giving land access to the sand niggers

good luck

I saw in a documentary that dust clouds from the sahara blow all over the world I wonder if stopping that would have any kind of effect on anything?

>huge amounts of ... salt being generated
For that alone, it's worth it.

>mfw this solves a lot of problems at once

So much optimism and naïvety. I didn't know it still existed

i thought of a solution if this isnt enough or just for fun

>160-200C temperatures at bottom of the giant pit

Geologist here, you would need to dig around 4km into the earth to get to those temperatures.

Basically impossible, pressure at those depths would squeeze the bore together, you would need some pretty heavy reinforcements which would require very expensive and skilled work if possible at all...

>implying we don't have more than plastic hand shovels to move the sand

>gigawhat
>gigawho

Quality shitposting

But what will you do when Captain America bombs the shit out of your shitty sand castle?

What kind of geologist are you, 4km boreholes are routine, and the record is over 12km

It's a force of 1 million joules for a period of microseconds. 1 million joules is about 1/4kwh.

Actual geologist here

It depends where you dig

I was aware of the 4-5km depth needed.
Which is why I considered; if an inherent part of this machine is a huge amount of water intake, why don't I use the water to help dig the pit?

If a vertical pit is being dug, the pit itself could be dug to a kilometre and then converted into the world's largest piece of hydraulics, having a chamber dug below it which the floor of is blasted with incomprehensible water pressures.
A handheld pressure hose can damage concrete, so I figure the world's largest pressure hose should be a beam of watery death.

One would have to make friends with people who would cause an international incident should you be randomly bombed.

Would that even be plausible? Could the Moon even maintain an atmosphere?

No, solar winds and shiet