So what exactly is so hard about portraying this guy in a movie?

So what exactly is so hard about portraying this guy in a movie?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=iWxo1VV3QyY
m.youtube.com/watch?v=qi86yeXB9pI
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Because the MCU and Fox cant get the FF right

They seem to be under the impression that he is the villain.

Because normalfags don't want doomwank

No one wants to do magic, at least until Strange and Iron Fist come out.

They think having him as the king of a small balkans nation will be too silly.

People will see this power armor as a knock off ironman.

He's just not as good a character as you guys think

A shitload of directors and producers who see an Eastern European guy in armor who's power is "Applies himself and learns things" and then they just say

>Fuck that, I know I can do better, how about a metal guy that shoots lightning! Ohh ohh, how about mutant zombie psychic!!" I'm a fucking genius

Meme characters don't work well outside of comics, unless they are ironic like Deadpool

If Marvel did 2015 Doctor Doom MCUfags would lap it up as creative genius. It's not that it's hard, people just hate anything Marvel not made by Marvel Studios.

Doom is good.

Though more as a third party. That is against the heroes and the villains.

It would just be nice to have him in Infinity Wars.

>doom
>iconic

pick two.

Are you saying the MCU can write a good villain?

I think it's the mix of extremely advanced science and magic. In the MCU, it would be incredibly easy to put him in after Iron Man and doctor Strange, because advanced robotics and arcane forces have already been established.

The fantastic 4 movies didn't have this, because they had their hands full with the Four's origin, and they mistakenly thought it was a good idea to tie Doom in with that.

huh i always thought his armor was like iron man but instead of being technology powered it was magic powered

Doom's armor is purely tech driven.

Stark has said in some comic, that Doom could easily make better armor than him, if Doom applied himself.

I made the same mistake. Read it again.

Nah, he uses both magical traditions and mundane technology. I think I've seens some things that say it's magically shielded, but it's technological at its core.

I'm not sure why that would be an issue. Even subtracting the magic, it could work. In fact, play it up.

Tony builds his armor, says he's privatized world peace... Doom is already a revolutionary in Latveria or maybe already controls it.

Takes the statement that everyone is 'ten years' away from Iron Man-level armor as a personal challenge to not only meet, but exceed that standard...

And how better to show off that success than to finally crush his college rival... because Doom is a man that keeps grudges long past the point of reasonability.

youtube.com/watch?v=iWxo1VV3QyY

McMahon wanted to do his Doom like that, but the producers and director had other ideas.

Came here to post this.

Because Lex Luthor already exists in enough movies. Ripoff garbage Lex is not needed.

>There will never be a Dr.Doom vs.The Red Skull showdown.

Doom is a master at magic and sciences. He can be still very prominent without the use of his magic

An autocratic ruler of a small balkan nation is as silly as a competent king of a first world african nation

The designs of his armor and Stark's armor are very distinct from each other. But for a safe measure giving him a more regal design would be ideal.

This isn't even bait. You should honestly be ashamed.

At this point, what's even the use of trying to make Doom popular to normalfags?

I mean, seriously, they've got Loki. Doom isn't even needed at this point. They keep fucking him up anyway and he'll just get rebooted yet again. Why even fucking bother?

No, I mean seriously, the main problem with Doom is that he's stuck with Fox. They fucked up the last F4 movie to the point where it's likely that that the cast of that one won't come back, so they'll have to reboot it YET AGAIN. It's just an overall FUBAR situation. Doom will never truly shine in the movies because of Fox. There's really nothing that can be helped at this point.

He's a character that would literally need his own movie for his origin story to work. What makes Doom work in comics is that he's one of the villains who had a lot of stuff from his perspective. It's why Fox Magneto works, nigga had his own movie. Also, faggot directors thinks he's cheesy so they add their MATUR spin on him which turns him into sci-fi asshole #4546

m.youtube.com/watch?v=qi86yeXB9pI

Doom's character is that he is good at everything
it works in comics because they are silly but it would never work in a movie so of course they have to make him different

becasue cinema sees all comic book movies as a man vs man story when Doom is more like a man vs nature story. Doom being a force of nature to be survived rather than a man to defeat.

His ability to create armor is just as good as Stark (which Stark admits) however his technology deliberately combines magic to make it incomprehensible to anyone who is not a master of both.

One comic had him incapacitated inside the armor and taken prisoner, Reed, Stark and Strange figured it would take them at least a month just to figure out how to BEGIN taking it off.

Also it incorporates defenses against threats that he has foreseen in possible and actual futures that don't actually exist yet. So he he incorporated a telepathic screen, mutant nullifier and pieces of the True Cross before he even encountered a mind controller, mutant or vampire.

You are now aware that because he had to make absolutely sure that it was real Dr Doom no doubt used his time platform to acquire that piece of the cross.

So, what did Victor Von Doom and Jesus talk about when they met?

It's not 1978. They can't do Superhero movies without girrty, edgy heroes. Dr.Doom is too pure for them.

Guys what if we take Dr.Doom and make him the illest rapper to ever live in the next movie.

that way we can appeal to the hip urban youth.

>So, what did Victor Von Doom and Jesus talk about when they met?

the torment of knowing the future and having to live thru it to make the world a better place

That's the big one. Doom's got a really long and fairly complex backstory, involving Hell, Tibetan monks, magical pacts, and a tiny Balkan nation - all of which, aside from him being Reed's college roommate, is completely disconnected from the origin of the Fantastic Four. He's a character who honestly would need an entire film to explain who he is and what his deal is, especially compared to the FF origin, which is pretty much just "cosmic rays yo."

Also, directors tend to like it when a character and their nemesis have the same origin - Red Skull is from an early version of the experiments that made Cap, Thor and Loki are brothers, Iron Monger's armor is a knockoff version of Iron Man's, Zod and Superman are both from Krypton. So this leads to a lot of people trying to streamline Doom's character for film by incorporating him into the Fantastic Four's origin, which ends up destroying his appeal because the Fantastic Four origin is deliberately minimalistic.

The only way to really do the character would be to give him a movie where he plays as an anti-hero to show him taking over his country, traveling the world, and battling against the Devil, after giving the Fantastic Four a movie where they fight someone like Annihilus or the Mole Man or the Super Skrull. Then you can finish off the trilogy by having Doom try to complete his revenge on the family.

Doom could work alongside Loki, the problem with the MCU is all the antagonists are aliens, gods or their ilk. Having someone who is more or less a normal human beat the shit out of Loki and make him subservient would help to refocus on earthly threats instead of aliens.

>Like the Martyrs of Masada you shall watch each other die

That is a pretty heavy and bad ass reference for a children cartoon. Imagine how many parents had to look up that reference and explain it to their kids.

>That is a pretty heavy and bad ass reference for a children cartoon.
FOOL! DID YOU EXPECT ANY LESS FROM DOOM?!

I had a conversation with Tom Brevort about this and he said that he thinks Hollywood will never just drop Doom in as a powerful wizard technogod ruler of a country, and will never actually do his origin without tying it to the FF intrinsically. He said (this was before the new film came out) that using the Ultimate Version is the best way to make it work for Hollywood
Seems like a good reasoning on his part

You could make him work by using him as a third film villain but making him a background presence in the first two.

>No one wants to do magic
>Harry Potter films are incredibly lucrative
I know the books were crazy popular but it shows a well done wizard film has an audience. I know many people who just watched the films. Same with Lord of the Rings.

I dont understand how they fucked Doom up so much. He is literally the easiest comic book villain to translate to the big screen. He hits all the notes of a supervillian. Doom on the the surface is as generic as they come but it's the writing that makes the character so nuanced

>Looks cool and evil
>Has an evil empire
>Has evil tech an powers
>Says and does evil shit

These people are literal retards for not getting Doom right.

I think it's more accurate to say that it's hard to sell people on both magic AND superscience in the same movie, especially when the former is disconnected from both the heroes and their origin.

That being said, you probably could do a pretty good Doctor Doom who just uses science and technology, though that would mean skating over a few elements of his backstory.

Doom is actually great because of both facts you mentioned. He can be in any sort of cape story, as silly or as serious as possible.

Cringe, this is what passes as good characterization in capeshit

And you dont even need to do Doom's origin. Just drop him in the movie like Black Panther in Civil War. I'm pretty sure nobody is looking at Doom and going "gee I wonder what his backstory is". Have him give a quick cool monologue referencing his past and you're done.

Black Panther was an ensemble member of a pretty large cast, not the primary villain.

What's wrong with having a bombastic villain with a mad drive for power and excellence?
Do you like Mike Carey's Lucifer?

I have to disagree. Black Manta would be the easiest to portray. Literally just "Fuck Aquaman".

It's a fucking shame.
I'm pretty sure that in both of Fox's aborted versions the actors playing the character were actually fans and wanted to do him justice.

But the directors and studio had other thoughts.

Doom doesn't need to be the primary villain though. He could be a villain the FF just assumes did something, only it turns out he didn't, they raid his castle, fight his defenses find him on his throne or in his dining hall sipping wine. He gives a Doom monologue that explains some shit, the FF fuck off and he gives a menacing final remark, it could showcase the FF's powers in action for the first time (in a non origin movie of course) so it serves a purpose for that film and not just 20 minutes of setup for a sequel

Whoops meant for

But his armor is mystical, it's embued with magic, fuck outta here casual
It's also Iron Man style
>also implying it isn't better

Lex Luthor is also easy in the same token.
But really no one is easier than Captain Boomerang "Australian cunt"

Still though you dont need to do an origin for him. The fact he is the evil dictator of a country should speak enough for him.

Doom should be like Darth Vader in the OT. Characters reference his past but he is mostly shrouded in mystery and his actions tell what kind of person he is.

Fuck me, Lucas already did the perfect live action Doom.

Doom and Vader are not really very similar. I can't imagine you've read many comics if you think that Lucas did a perfect live action Doom

Why is it that this is still the best FF movie ever made?

This goes back to what I said here Yeah the characters themselves are different but they both fit the same supervillian archetype.

But perfect is a very specific adjective.
>fits these broad strokes that tie them together
Is not perfect adaptation

user you're reading too much into one word.

I'm really not, you should learn to properly speak english.
Confucius was fucking right. I'm fucking mad now.

Hard to emote under a metal mask. And unlike Iron Man, you can't film him "inside" the armor.

The first two movies were carefully made to ape the Spider-Man movies in as many ways as possible. Of course as usual with this type of thing they spent so much time trying to get all the elements they needed to maximize profit, they forgot to actually make a good movie.

So like everything else in the movie, Doom was made into the same villain you had in every kid-friendly action movie of the time.

Fant4stic was such a ludicrous clusterfuck that is simultaneously bland and absolutely apeshit that there was never a chance Doom wouldn't be stupid.

There's nothing inherent about the FF or Doom that can't translate to film. In fact, the height of Lee and Kirby's original stories are practically big budget movie outlines already.

V for Vendetta worked just fine even though we never saw Hugo Weaving's face.

No one wants to do it write beause no one wants to do the Fantastic Four right, because people don't want to put effort and paitence into their work. They just want fast, dirty money from an immediate pay off, and they fucked that up to. Seriously, if they did Doom he would be fun to play.

Doom's range of emotions isn't that wide
Rage
Contempt
Occasional bitter sadness
as another user mentioned, Vader Proves this is very possible

Okay so you should have said "vader proves doom can work" not that it's an adaptation of Doom at all, it's not just one word asshole. It's the whole logic of the phrasing. You did not say what you actually meant at all.

Doom has more emotions if you involve Valeria or Kristoff.

That's definitely X Men level sequels material

That future shit has now killed a lot my interest.

Doom has infinite prep time.

No, I think that Fox has and will continue to hire people that put effort into their work they just have not attached them to FF, this is partially because they believe that a traditional adaptation of FF will not work so they pass off the film to more "scifi blockbuster" guys, which then results in the thing you said
If you got someone like Brad Bird to make a fantastic four movie it would be very good

Two ink-stained comic-book writers working out of a run down NY loft can make better megalomaniac villain-kings then the "royalty in all but name" movie-makers of Hollywood.
Wow, hollywood morons really do screw up anything you trust them to do.

That's cheesy as shit I couldn't even get through the entire thing from not being able to take it seriously. Maybe Doom should stay in comics and animation.

>Roger corman movie proves exactly anything about a character's adaptability

they tried with the last one, to do an ultimate origin.

how hard can it be to have them as astronauts trying an experiental FTL drive? that malfunctions, irradiates them with the Power Cosmic, and they crash. Though their experiment drew the attention of the Skrull Empire. So they send a scouting party of shapeshifters to Earth

. Meanwhile in Latveria. Doom is basking in Richard's failure and notices the Skrull ship during his observation of the richard's accident. So he starts his own plot. To take advantage of the Skrulls and the F4 to gain power. While making sure his Latveria is secure.

The F4 find and defeat the Skrull scouts. Doom advances his plot. Skrulls send Super Skrull(for the second movie).

in the second movie the F4 are having problems fighting the super skrull and leads them to the waiting arms of Doom. Doom appears to be helping them but is using them.

third movie is the full on skrull invasion. F4 is battling skrulls and doom is playing games with Veranke, the Skrull Queen. F4 defeats the invasion but veranke and some super skrulls are hiding out in Latveria. Doom betrays the skrulls and launches his conquest of earth. everything looks like it is going doom's way when the f4 defeat him. then surprise, it was a doombot. doom has actually gone to the Skrull Homeworld and conquered it.

which puts Doom in competition against Thanos for the Infinity Stones.

Because the normies don't get him and are embarrassed about him so they keep having to make him seem like the bad guy in traditional normie terms.

Doom actually makes a lot of sense if you look at him like he's Kim Jung Un or Gaddifi or any of these flamboyantly out-there dictators who create a cult of personality around themselves.

If they put him in the MCU I think it should be an issue. I really like the Stark-Doom power-armor rivalry. It adds to his character,

He's competing with Reed on being the smart scientist.

He's competing with Stark on being the competent engineer

He's competing with Strange on being the more powerful magician.

He's competing with T'Challa and Namor on being the more prominent ruler.

Doom's rivalry and competitiveness and drive to be better than everyone is a threat to every great man in the Marvel universe, it keeps everyone on edge because at any given moment, Doom can just surpass them on anything they do and they can't stop him.

>normie

Jesus you people are pathetic

>kim jong un

except Doom is hyper competent and Latveria is a paradise.

MCU never had the chance to establish one.

The last one also had their rising star director unravel on set causing rewrites, just general bad acting and basically tanked the movie. it was shit, but the development was a shitshow beyond anyone's expectations or control

>calls someone else a Normie
>compares Doom to shitty failed dictators who ruin their states with their personal opulence

the movie did have that one good moment.

when reed, ben, johnny, and doom went to the N zone, the accident, and then the blown up labratory and everyone suffering in the rubble.

>Doom should be like Darth Vader in the OT.

Bingo.

You don't explain Doctor Doom. You don't even NAME him. He just IS, like a fucking tornado or an earthquake.

After his first appearance, then the shocked heroes pick themselves up and mention things like, "Holy crap, was that Doctor Doom?!"

Never explain to the audience. It's simply assumed he's part of the world.

That's how you do it.

>Vader Proves this is very possible

Yeah because he's Vader's inspiration. You probably knew that, but I just think it's funny to point out. Anyone who doesn't think Doom is a good villain or can work on screen just needs to look at Vader because he's just space-fantasy-Dr.Doom.

Okay well since "normie" triggers you tumblr, use "casual" or whatever synonym for "person who doesn't regularly read comics and has shallow taste in things in general" that you use in whatever corner of the Internet you fucking crawled over here from.

Also the dictatorship comparison is just to say that the real world is filled with dictators with massive egos... Sorry it's not a one-on-one accurate comparison with a FICTIONAL CHARACTER.

Jesus fucking Christ can make one post on this shit hole board without getting into a shit-flinging fest? Sup Forums is worse than every other board in being nitpicky about every little detail lately. You guys fucked this board up. It didn't use to be this way, Sup Forums is a bigger asshole than any other board on this site. By far.

I'm sick of this shit.

You shit posting kids aren't worth the stress.

I expected no less from you Lord Doom, the masses must understand what true sacrifice for the the greater good (of Doom) means. Just as the ancient Israelite's were willing to die while seeing their women, children and families die for their greater good/god so should all of humanity be willing to endure such a sacrifice for a true God.

Meaning of course you my Lord.

The real problem with Doom is that more often than not he is right and he has saved the universe more than any hero ever has. It is hard to explain to a mass market that the super evil asshole might actually be right.

>blames it all on one group because that's just so easy
>picks tumblr over Sup Forums

Doom almost never did the magic thing at all for the first 40 or so years of existence. I don't see why they cannot just show him as a villain evil genius that wears armor. Drop the magic part all together for a movie.

I didn't blame tumblr. I pointed out that being triggered over a word was like tumblr. Jesus fucking christ, do shitposters not read the thread they reply to on purpose just to maximize the negative reaction they got?

So this a Sup Forums thing? I wouldn't know because I don't go there. But it's been shit lately. The past year on Sup Forums feels like the average IQ of the Sup Forums poster has dropped down to 13.

Stop asking for Brad Bird, FF is supposed to be like Challengers of the Unknown, not the Incredibles.

>evil genius that wears armor

so...just turn him into a generic Iron Man villain then?

The problem is that Doom "origin stories" are always going to be the least interesting thing about him. For the real appeal of Doom you need to build him up into the genius world-level threat and king he's known as, but that wouldn't make sense without his origins.
So that means you have to spend multiple movies on Doom, and the first is always going to be terrible.

Ok seriously. How does Batman and Superman catch shit for being Batgod and Mr. Perfect respectively. But Doom can just shit on anyone at anytime whenever the writer feels like it and it's okay?

Ignoring TV and Netflix we've had three or four pretty good ones so their track record is pretty shit.

Or he just comes out of left field in BP2.

Because Doom, in the end, is destined to fail at some point due to his own hubris. Doesn't mean he wasn't right.
Batman and Superman are just winning all the time.

>0444
That 0 is you, Richards.

Hollywood thinks you can't just drop him into a movie without explaining the magic, armor, history with Reed and diplomatic status. So they change things to streamline his story.

What he need is his own movie.

>those JRJR faces

Because Marvel doesn't constantly shill Doom as if he's the only relevant character in the setting.