What makes a country perform well in the Olympics?

What makes a country perform well in the Olympics?

Population helps, but it's obviously not just that. If it were, China would be in first place instead of below the UK.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olympic_Games#Amateurism_and_professionalism
youtube.com/watch?v=De7rbB2bteE
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

B-but an entire continent got more medals than the US!

Mostly the money that the countries put to promote weird sports

I-I saw it on facebook!

Genetics, culture and wealth.
Genetics, because some races are just better in some disciplines.
Culture, because some cultures value physical fitness more than other.
And wealth, because only the wealthy can afford doing useless shit like professional sport. The chinese are too busy making your Iphone.

Freedom

America has all the races and different races are good at different sports. America also has big pro sporting culture in college.

Budget poured into sport programs, population, steroid expertise / ability to buy out people, and general culture.
Genetics (aka amount of niggers) also helps

culture

this

richer countries did better for a reason

Culture and goverment support.

Combination of both creates situation in witch one can choose Sport as their secure career patch from young age without worrying what happeng when their "olympic age" ends.

Advanced medicine gives cutting edge, as undetected doping is the diffrence between having and not having a medal in many disciplines.

we sent 103 Olympians, 54 came back with medals, do you see my country in that list? No, so answer is statistics so it would look good for important countries

You need a sufficient amount of everything - money, a culture that encourages sports, good genetics.
The eastern bloc used to dominate.

Britishness.

Culture of sporting success and facilities to do so

Is it that in the US people get scholarships for doing sports so it is more heavily subsidized?

Definitely, college competition is one of the major factors of sport success in America

The eastern block also used to send "fulltime amateur hobbyists" when the olympic games banned professional athletes from entering. "Practising" was considered cheating for most of the Olympic's history.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olympic_Games#Amateurism_and_professionalism

They allowed professional athletes right after the 1988 games because of eastern block's shenanigans.

It's a combination of population, money and good genetic stock

If you have a lot of all 3 you're going to be good at the Olympics

India for example lacks money and good genetic stock (Short, weak, sickly population) so their large population is meaningless

But Hungary has money and good genetic stock so they do well at the Olympics despite only have 10 million people.

Australia bet a country with 50x its population :)

Money fo dem sports programmes

>and good genetic stock (Short, weak, sickly population) so their large population is meaningless

you can't find 100 good Olimpians from 1.3 billion people, they just don't care I think, if chinks and hindu went to countryside, they could select 1000 strongs who would dominate sports in about 20 years tops, buy those are lame nations that doesn't really care about their flag or country (its all about money, and how much they can get now)

Isn't the Olympics a dick comparison for the wealth of countries?

>Hey, look at all this left over wealth we have that we can spend on stupid shit

That's what I though it was. Like how India has 1 billion people but no left over money to spend on anything but planning sewerage systems so they can poo in loo. Cause statistically speaking they'd have some genetic beasts.

>soviet union

add culture and infraestructures in the case of india and you have it

But Australia can compete with Japan (even though they have 3X the population), because we love our citizens and have wealth for toil

People giving a shit.

I don't even know anyone who watches the Olympics, but from what I understand Gymnastics and Track & Field are pretty big in the U.S.

They also have meme sports like Basketball in their too, which is basically just a free medal for the U.S.

Honestly it's kind of pathetic China doesn't do better. Like, they don't even have real professional sports anyone cares about there, and their government takes that shit seriously.

I assume the U.S. is also like Australia, where if you're actually talented, you play real sports.

youtube.com/watch?v=De7rbB2bteE

you gota pay off the competition so they take a dive. they accept because while they wont get gold they will know who not to bet on and make monies with the seed money you give them to take a dive. i mean you paying you probably want to win your probably not paying so canada can save face

and with exchange rates this isnt as costly as you might think . the dollar is more valuable than the yuan but the brits are still in the EU and cant mass produce currency and hand it out since it would lower gdp growth and germany would get mad. thats germanys monies. you spose to pay for united EU military and buttsecs parties for refugees

>We have left over money to spend on left over athletes who couldn't play GAYFL, Rugy or Cricket

The fact that we're in the top ten makes me think our fucking government should cancel paying for this gay shit and lower the taxes on cigarettes. Cunts.

About 40% of the USA team is made up of black people

Smoke in hell cunt

Enjoy spending $50 per pack to smoke in your designated secluded area with the other degenerates

Kick out other countries that will win a lot of medals.

Consider Meldonium, Russia used this drug widely while it was legal, then America had it banned.

Then America routinely banned all Russian sports people who were a part of popular culture, taking Meldonium means that it bio-accumulates within the body, hence America can attack Russia on another front.

This is all politics, America never got banned from cycling put practically ruined the sport.

Russia is guilty of playing the game, they are guilty of partaking within the corrupt Western system.

When in Rome...................

money ( public debt + sponsor )
time

our national judoka is paid 30k€ per month with public debt in a shitty city, just to train, when the average athlete have to pick a shitty job and train the evening.
sorry for my shitty english

population, economy, diversity*.

diverse population has different interests. ohio loves wrestling. SF loves bicycling and so on.

Some races aren't good at any sports

Our Asians (Indians/pakis) won 0 medals and I think your Mexicans won very few if any medals at all

Multiple factors. For example, Aus will do better at Tokyo 2020 because the 60% novice team we sent this year will have matured as athletes. Also our government will probably demand our sports institutes up their game because they felt like they didn't get their money's worth of medals this Olympics.

Amount of niggers obviously

New Zealand rich than Spain

nope

China is still in the top three because of all the insane money they threw at getting medals in 2008 for the Beijing games. Those athletes who they pretty much trained from childhood will slowly age out and the money will dry up.

>tfw your country got more convictions than medals in Rio

thats why spain is 14th and new zealand 19th