The Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck storytime

Welcome, ladies and gentlemen, to a storytime of Don Rosa's masterpiece: The Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck, one of the best comics I've ever had the privilege to read. A historical epic spanning the course of 70 years, this story was intricately pieced together by Rosa from countless references and anecdotes from Carl Barks' legendary Scrooge McDuck comics, and tells the tale of the rise and fall of the richest duck in the world.
I'll be posting every story from both The Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck and The Life and Times Companion in chronological order, including the continuity notes from the stories' original printing, and providing musical accompaniment in the form of songs from Music Inspired by the Life and Times of Scrooge, an excellent concept album by Tuomas Holopainen of Nightwish.
Shall we begin?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=SHb3OnTUP5g
youtube.com/watch?v=EG88BtmJ6dY
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Now, a confession: this is the first time I've ever done a storytime with Sup Forums X, so it's entirely possible that I'm going to fuck it all up. Let's hope not, eh?
Also, my phone is fucked, so I can't do the "phone trick". As such, reading bumps would be appreciated.

I actually ordered the Don Rosa's collcetion the otjer day. All the ones that are out now anyway

...Fuck me, I forgot to post this chapter's song. And I had it pre-prepared and all. Sorry about that.
So:
This chapter's song, "Glasgow 1877" is wistful, perhaps melancholic; and yet, it evokes adventure and hope for Scrooge's future.
youtube.com/watch?v=SHb3OnTUP5g

And as a bonus, here's the end-of-chapter continuity and writing notes from Don Rosa.

So, the first chapter in Scrooge McDuck's life is over. But before we follow Scrooge to America, let's jump forward a few decades - and then back again. This is "part 0" of The Life and Times, and the story that gave Don Rosa the inspiration to do the rest.

Okay, I'm thinking it's probably better to hold off on the rest of this storytime until it's not the middle of the night in Burgerland. If you're interested in me continuing, though, give the thread a bump.

I'm down for reading more of this!

Is this Sup Forums's favorite story?

I think I read this for the first time last year, you're doing great work OP.

It is a really really excellent one. I would love to see an adaptation. I can see Scrooge's... indiscretions in Africa causing trouble.

Perhaps, but I think the way that it's treated in the story - as a deeply heinous act and Scrooge's darkest moment - would probably make it acceptable. They'd probably need to redesign the tribesmen, though.

So, let's return to our story. It is 1880, and the 13-year-old Scrooge McDuck has travelled to America, in the hope of finding employment with his uncle Pothole.

So, to recap: the year is now 1882. Scrooge is 15 years old, and is moving west in search of his fortune.
The song for this chapter, "Into the West", transitions from the wistfulness of Scrooge's early days into a faster-paced, more adventurous song, as Scrooge sets out for greater things.
youtube.com/watch?v=EG88BtmJ6dY

Reading bumps are, as ever, appreciated.

>Don Rosa is coming to a convention close to me next month

I'm glad, but, you know, this is a storytime. Mind deleting your image?

Hey, when you make the next thread, post a link to it in this one if you could. I'm about to fall asleep, but I'm really enjoying the story. Thanks for posting it.

Man, this is such a good comic. Thanks for sharing it, OP.

With Scrooge's taste for adventure piqued and a lesson about the value of hard work earned, we'll now take a minor interlude for a story from The Life and Times Companion, written some years years after the main story.

Will do!

>Don Rosa was at a convention in my area during the holidays
>Couldn't go because I was out of town visiting family
>Apparently nobody showed up to his panel so the chances of him coming back are next to none
It's things like this that are really painful.

YES.
Thanks user, always a pleasure re-reading this.