Libertarian Gary Johnson Supports Carbon Fee

thehill.com/policy/energy-environment/292308-libertarian-candidate-backs-carbon-fee
>Libertarian presidential candidate Gary Johnson is supporting a “fee” on carbon dioxide emissions, a policy more closely associated with environmentalists and liberals.

>Johnson, formerly a Republican and the governor of New Mexico, told the Juneau Empire that he believes that greenhouse gases cause climate change, and a carbon fee could be “a free-market approach to climate change.”

>“We as human beings want to see carbon emissions reduced significantly,” he told the newspaper, adding that the United States represents a small portion of worldwide emissions, and “I don’t want to do anything that harms jobs.” Johnson was cautious not to call it a “carbon tax,” the more widely-used term for a government levy on carbon dioxide emissions.

>A spokesman for Johnson’s campaign clarified Tuesday that the candidate only supports a carbon fee if current regulations on greenhouse gases were repealed.

>He added that “as part of a larger, comprehensive shift from hidden and unpredictable regulatory taxes to a more free market, consumer-driven approach, a transparent and revenue-neutral fee could very well achieve reduced emissions, which Americans clearly desire, more effectively and at less cost to consumers.”

Free market apostasy, or correcting private sector incentives to solve externalities?

Other urls found in this thread:

deseretnews.com/article/865660664/Gary-Johnson-wants-Mitt-Romney-and-Michael-Leavitt-in-administration.html
thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/presidential-races/283118-romney-will-look-into-libertarian-ticket
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Bump

you will know them by their fruits

least libertarian candidate of all time

If you ever wondered for even a moment whether the libertarian party was a neocon plot you don't have to anymore. Thank you, Trump. You are so powerful you make your enemies tell the truth.

deseretnews.com/article/865660664/Gary-Johnson-wants-Mitt-Romney-and-Michael-Leavitt-in-administration.html
>On Friday, former Gov. Gary Johnson offered a guarantee.

>“If Mitt Romney wants to be a part of the administration, that would be a guarantee.”

>The comments came at Friday’s joint Deseret News-KSL editorial board meeting with Johnson and Bill Weld.

>Although the Libertarian nominee seemed to doubt whether Romney would really be interested, he said the former Republican presidential nominee would be free to, in essence, choose his own adventure.

thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/presidential-races/283118-romney-will-look-into-libertarian-ticket
>Mitt Romney said Friday he wouldn't rule out supporting the Libertarian White House ticket after pledging to not vote for either the Democratic or Republican presumptive nominees.

>"I'm going to look at what he has to say," Romney said of Libertarian nominee Gary Johnson during an interview in Park City, Utah, on CNN's "Situation Room."

Do you think Romney will endorse Johnson before November?
It might be good enough to have him win Utah's EV which would be a huge modern milestone for a Third Party.

>Libertarian Gary Johnson Supports Carbon Fee
>Gary Johnson
>Libertarian

He's a Republican playing a Libertarian.

He's a democrat acting like a republican and saying he's a libertarian

>He's a Democrat playing Libertarian
FTFY

>Do you think Romney will endorse Johnson before November?

No matter what you think about Gary Johnson he is not going to do it, just like the other Republicans won't endorse voting Libertarian. Think about that, because they are more than willing to endorse Hillary instead of party that actually wants to cut spending. That's how fake those guys are.

>"""Libertarian"""
>wants to tax your carbons
>picked an anti-gun running mate
He's fucked.

He just keeps getting worse and worse.

>It might be good enough to have him win Utah's EV which would be a huge modern milestone for a Third Party.
The democratic party and the republican party are already "third parties." There isn't an explicit convention but the Neocon party is currently who dominates the federal government. This election has shown everyone who wants to know just which politicians are members.

>correcting private sector incentives to solve externalities?
Interesting.

>shortcut down a back alley at night
>wild Tyrone appears
>gimme your shit, cracka
>i-is this a robbery?
>no nigga, I'm a libertarian, I's just correcting the market incentive for you to hoard yo money, so I can solve the externality of me having none

How is this guy even a libertarian? His whole platform is DUDE WEED LMAO, he is literally Justin Trudeau.

>a carbon fee could be “a free-market approach to climate change.”
>taxing carbon is free-market if you don't call it a tax

This shows that LP was always a joke. Trump showed us the punchline.

Are you laughing?

Remember folks, Gary Johnson paid to have this made

Are you suggesting externalities don't exist, or that taxes are not a reasonable way to manage them?

>Are you suggesting externalities don't exist
No
>or that taxes are not a reasonable way to manage them?
Yes
It's the libertarian party, not the labour party.

>Thank you, Trump. You are so powerful you make your enemies tell the truth.
Trips dont lie.

Now that's power!

>open borders
>anti-gun
>carbon tax

Shit, what's next? Nation-building and mandatory microchip tagging?

Libertarian party wasting money supporting a loser. They are delusional.

Why on earth is he the libertarian candidate?
He has even stated that he would be open to universal basic income.

REMINDER

Good.

carbon tax is the most pro-market way to reduce emissions

you can eliminate all other emissions related to regulations and so called green subsidies etc

I'm torn. I want to support a second party to weaken the single Democrat/Republican Party we have now. I really wanted to vote Libertarian. I could deal with Johnson alone. I can't deal with Weld, Romney and other filthy rich 0.01%er republicans taking over the Libertarians.
When does the ride ever end?

I wonder if he can really juggle

Carbon taxes on North American or Euro business' is a waste of time when its China and other parts of Asia making more CO2 emissions then anyone else.

>taxes are not a reasonable way to manage them?
They are not. At what point does forceful expropriation become "reasonable"? The court system can deal with externalities perfectly fine, while also limiting the issue to the parties directly involved.

>supports libertarianism
>hates rich people
Are you sure you're not a Democrat instead?

Too bad taxes aren't free market

I wasn't arguing, I was just wondering what that user's opinion was.

I am not sure leaving everything up to the courts is a real solution. The kind of judicial activism we get at all levels is precisely because of laws being too vague to clearly address cases brought before the court. I am not convinced that more judicial decision-making will improve any society. I suppose we could outlaw stare decisis but then we'd truly be a nation of men, not laws.

And externalities are not always so clearly resolved by cosean bargaining. I don't have some kind of buzzfeed top ten externalities list but I'd guess most externalities are unresolvable via cosean bargaining because they come about from a lack of property laws, and even if a judge could decide plainly to create them in some court case it's not obvious that transaction costs can be low enough to guarantee cosean barganing is efficient.

>even if a judge could decide plainly to create them in some court case it's not obvious that transaction costs can be low enough to guarantee cosean barganing is efficient.
The transaction costs don't have to be at their maximally efficient point (ie. 0) for this course of action to be preferable to government using violence in the form of regulation.

Only all his conflicting views

I've always known that libertarians are just leftists practicing taqiya to get constitutionalists to vote against the Republican Party.

Literal subhumans.

Why do libertarians insist on making moral arguments couched in economic terms?

I swear to got Libertarians are like Jews. When it is convenient, Jews are an ethnicity. When it is convenient, Jews are members of a religion.

When it is convenient, Libertarians use economic arguments. When it is convenient, Libertarians use moral arguments. And they slip and slide between the two to evade all criticism.

I'm done with this thread and Gary Johnson is a faggot.

Libertarian economic arguments (specifically, any normative arguments they make) stem from their moral arguments; any economic argument from a libertarian is necessarily an ethical statement as well. I'm sorry that you are so upset by an attempt at philosophical consistency, but that's what makes libertarianism different from dominant ideologies.

The libertarian party was really easy to subvert and morph into something meaningless

>can't handle arguments

Stick to memes.