What are your country's best museums?

What are your country's best museums?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Holocaust_memorials_and_museums_in_the_United_States
youtube.com/watch?v=AOqdCNjq-x0
youtube.com/watch?v=cSVmJoPK8jw
youtube.com/watch?v=N9fI40Nni3k
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Probably Pergamon.

Washington D.C has amazing and free museums. Who can top that?

I think the MET does to be honest

The royal armoury at the palace is cool.

rijksmuseum

18th century working planetarium in Frisia

That's a small ship.

It's one of the only things in NYC really worth seeing.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Holocaust_memorials_and_museums_in_the_United_States

Rijksmuseum van Oudheden in Leiden

your ships isn't big neither, but at least it's probably the only 17th century intact ship in the world

Which museum in most focused on German history?

Funny story; it's sinking was due to Dutch incompetence.

>It's one of the only things in NYC really worth seeing.
ignorant shit

The louvre is free for anyone from the EU under 26 (included iirc) btw
It's worth seeing when it's not packed with chinese tourist

Museum of Fine Arts (MFA) in Boston.

Probably Germanisches Nationalmuseum in Nürnberg.

what's the price for americans

They have the actual skeletons of the dead crewmates there. Fucking creepy.

>It's worth seeing when it's not packed with chinese tourist

literally never, presumably

I bet those chinky fuckers are taking mad selfies with the mona lisa or whatever

Lenzburg Castle is my fav, it has a lot of medieval armours and weapons and stuff like that and I just love that old wooden, smoky smell of castles

National Anthropology Museum

when is it not packed with Chinese tourists?

>The louvre is free for anyone from the EU under 26 (included iirc) btw
that's sad. I'm not French and I don't have very much affinity with the French culture. Why should a Belgian, Dutchman or a Bulgarian be granted free entrance to a French national museum whereas they contributed almost nothing to the existence of it? I'd rather see this regulation for French only.

Ever been there? If yes how good are the exhibits on HRE?

The plaster casts in the Victoria and Albert are pretty stunning.

Hofburg is still the best museum for HRE. It has almost all imperial treasuries

What the fuck is this

The eternal A*strian

Westfries museum. Unfortunately some 16th/17th century (west-)Frisian paintings were stolen and burnt by Ukrainians.

always ready to blame others for your own mistakes

Not at all. It was designed and built by Dutchmen. Don't be such a typical Finn.

Big fan of the royal armouries to say its free

Be happy for what we did. Otherwise it would have been on the bottom of the ocean by now.

Interesting to vist

I won't credit "you" with anything but the failure of it, but I am happy with the outcome indeed.

british museum

holy peng

Soumaya art museum
Richest man in Mexico built in to honor his family and filled it with his amazing art collection
Its free to get in and also top museum in the city

What about some good museums not everone and their gran knows?

15€
Outside of holidays and depending on the hour it's pretty tame (around 12h they are all with their tour guide eating lunch)
And there is a barrier around the mona lisa but they still take selfies
Just from a little more far
It's so the students from the EU exchange programs can go freely
It's not designed with regular tourist in mind

>not natural history museum
Blasphemy.

I love these
More from

The Nordic Museum has a nice atmosphere at least.

the V&A was a surprise for me, very underrated imo
they have this really big room with loads of life size replicas of things including michelangelo's david, I never realised how massive that statue is

Justin Beiber

The question was what are your country's best museums, not what are your country's best, unknown museums.

Overloon is a good WWII museum.

>Away with you vile beggars

Comfy promo

youtube.com/watch?v=AOqdCNjq-x0

Sadly never was there, but the museum in the imperial castle is part of it and is quite nice.
But toothpaste is right, a lot of the original stuff is in Vienna.

Royal Armouries was pretty good desu
>pic related

Not sure what's going on with that pitch-black room full of New Brits' knives though

Lots of nice museums in Paris. The Louvre obviously, but I also like the Musée de l'Armée (in Invalides) and the Musée d'Orsay. And the buildings are really really nice.

It's always full of screaming children that I want to strangle.

peng

Saw it last summer, absolutely stunning

this even more so in the science museum

Yes, but I was still curious

It's nice when places aren't fully packed with chink tourists

Eh? Went there last October and never saw this are you on about the room with modern crime and self defense things

Yes

It's a shame the Hunterian Museum in London has closed until 2020, it's great

youtube.com/watch?v=cSVmJoPK8jw

Ashmolean or Pitt-Rivers

Pitt Rivers Museum in Oxford

How the fuck those ended in Germany? Robbery?

I'd go there for those beautiful big clocks on the façade only

Shhh... no questions now.

Art Institute in Chicago

Armémuseum

Oh yea I was there, pretty neat. Only worthwhile thing in there, the rest of the exhibits where a bit boring.

I live three blocks away from one of the better art museums in the USA. I was in there the other day. It's still a "B-tier" museum but it's very, very good and has a truly representative collection of all world art.

I was surprised to learn that it's one of the top 30 major art museums in the world in terms of gallery space. And it's free every day. I can literally walk 15 min. outside of my place any time I want and look at Dali, some ancient greek items, impressionism, the odd contemorary wank, etc. This is great since I've liked art history since I was young.

Chicago is much much bigger and better than "mine", though. And I'm sure the Met and the national gallery are even better.

-I was in there just the other day and they had pic related out. It's one of my favorite Durers and I never knew they had a copy so I made a point of looking very closely for about 5 min. I wonder how many copies of the engraving there are in world museums.
-They also had a copy of Otto Dix's "stormtroopers advancing under gas" out like a year ago. Same question comes to mind. Another very cool print.

Saw a really nice copy of this Durer print when I went to Salzburg; would think it was quite commonly copied

Parola tank museum. It has dozens of captured Soviet tanks, WW2 German armor and some modern and cold war tanks and a small section of anti-tank weapons.

There are many museums here actually, i think most are really nice, my favourite is i think the Iparművészeti Múzeum ('Industry' museum)

Well yes, that's the point about prints. You can have lots of different, all-authentic, copies.

While on the subject of northern Euro printmakers, I also really like Escher but he isn't taken "as-seriously" in the "proper" art world, for whatever reason. I can't think of any general art history book or "overall" art museum I've been to which had an Escher.

The reason why I bring Escher up specifically is that I know a good bit about him, and how when he died, all of his blocks and materials had large holes bored in them, so that it would be impossible for anyone to use the same material to strike new prints and pass them off (convincingly!) as authentic. Pic related is an example of a posthumous Escher print which got this treatment.

Many of the artefacts people claim were 'stolen' were in fact either purchased, or in a totally-ruined or dilapidated state before European merchants - or colonial rulers - recognised their value and brought them to Britain/France/Germany/etc

Personally I think it's a shame that a lot of valuable artefacts aren't in their countries of origin, but 'theft' isn't always the case.

Even the Elgin Marbles (which for some reason precipitate a lot of anti-English sentiment, despite Elgin being a Scotsman) were removed from the Parthenon with the approval of Greece's government.

>muh greatest city on earth hurr

its overrated.

the americans took all the good stuff and gave it to austria after ww2

museums are for boring gaylords

well with the approval of the Ottoman government, but I do agree with you. Pretty likely that the elgin marbles would either have deteriorated over time or have been destroyed in some war if elgin hadn't removed them. The ottomans used the parthenon as a fucking ammunition store which got hit by Venetians, taking away countless priceless friezes, reliefs etc. that are now eliminated from memory

The New York Museum of Natural History is among the finest in the northeast (although there are an near incalculable amount). Every city has at least one good Museum as well. Washington DC also has a huge concentration of fine exhibition halls. From the complex of the Smithsonian on the national mall, to the National Gallery where the only example of a da vinci painting in the Americas is on display.

I think it's a shame that the Greek authorities and an autistic German destroyed a half-millennium old Frankish Tower on the Acropolis, just because it was post-Classical and didn't fit in with their restoration plans

It was as much a part of their history as Aristotle and Homer

19th century 'antiquarians' really were retarded

All museums are full of robbery. Ever been to the Louvre? It's basically a best of from centuries of French looting invasions of their neighbours.

A-at least we were allowed to keep the storage box... ;_;

Wow I didn't know that. Feels bad man

what's stored in it?

Not in all cases

This section of stone carvings and pillars was purchased from the administrators of the temple in india circa 1910s, it was lying in shambles on the grounds, and reassembled within the Philadelphia Museum of Art (which has several displays similar to this, japanese village, french monastery). Our galleries collections are based on purchases and gifts.

Today, nothing.
Back then: Reichskleinodien
>pic related, the stuff that showed that you are the emperor of the HRE

humor

here's the japanese tea house, they have tea ceremonies there on occasion, these were also acquired in the 1910s

At least it's safe now in the Hofburg. I think it doesn't really mind whether it's in Germany or Austria. It could have been In Cochem, Aachen or Nürnberg, but Vienna is an imperial city as well. Perhaps you should have both shared ownership of those objects.

All our museums are filled with shitty abo “art” and cultural artifacts i.e. sticks.

You may know this painting, it rests in the National Gallery of Art in DC

we have museums like that as well, but they're out in the middle of nowhere in Colorado

Obviously the British museum.

For a personal favourite I'd say Beamish. It's a "living museum" where they have rebuilt a street as it was in 1910, and they also have a 19th century manor house and farm. All the people working there dress in period costume. It sounds like a gimmick but it's really comfy.

youtube.com/watch?v=N9fI40Nni3k

I once showed my friend a captured kv-2 from there, and the first thing he asked is why it had a nazi swastika on it :D

No, for art the top two museums in Mexico City are MUNAL and Arte Contemporáneo in terms of permanent collections, San Carlos and Carrillo Gil for travelling international exhibits, Bellas Artes for temporary exhibits on Mexican art. Slim's collection is filled with big names from European masters, it's certainly worthwhile, but includes few masterpieces and you can tell he bought for prestige and not as a knowing curator.

It's still nice, I'm not putting it down, but calling it the top museum in the city is a stretch.

Was there as a kid. Absolutely loved it