I've heard the idea that thinking in different languages can lead to different modes of thinking

I've heard the idea that thinking in different languages can lead to different modes of thinking.

Could anyone here, who is fluent in multiple languages shed any light on whether this is true, and it is in some ways true what are some examples?

That is. People with primitive language will have primitive thinking. I know a little kyrgyz language, and I will tell you that it is primitive and stupid, the very system of expressing thoughts in this language is barbarous and wild. Therefore, this affects the way people think.

That's not what Sapir-Whorf is about. Linguistic relativism theorises that language can have subtle effects on ways of thinking.

The Himba have very different colour terms from Europeans, and so the capable of identifying the closeness of certain colours more effectively. Likewise Russians have a name for light blue as opposed to dark blue, and are more adept at differentiating shades of blue.

Likewise, while English has a horizontal sense of time, east Asians have a vertical one, and the relation can be subtly observed.

A more impactful effect of language on perception might be observed in the way the Pirahã were observed by Daniel Everett to be unable to learn simple arithmetic, having no words for numbers.

How can a language not have words for numbers? How would they ask for a certain amount, or do any amount of simple communication without them?

The Pirahã are an isolated Amazonian tribe with no words for numbers, just words for "many" or "few". They tried to ask Everett to teach them to count but after eight months failed to learn it. Though Everett himself contends that is because of their language's limitation and not an inability to comprehend quantity.

I never noticed it. I speak three languages that are from different families.

Maybe it's only true for primitive languages as said

>I speak three languages that are from different families.
Which are?

yes
when I think in american english I think retarded shit

100% As a native spanish and english speaker English is a language with a very very different way of thinking to thrle psychology.

>I've heard the idea that thinking in different languages can lead to different modes of thinking.

There are some studies done in the US which showed that people exhibit less emotional bias when making rational choices in foreign languages instead of their native one. I don't have a link right now but it's easily googlable.

One hypothesis is that people naturally have more emotional associations attached to their native language instead of one they systematically studied in professional context.

CHI

But at the same time Brazil is still in shit, but the US is not.

How is that related to anything?

Russian, Portuguese and English

Not very differently languages at all. They're all from the same family.

Try speaking a language with an entirely different structure and vocabulary.

Which country has the most Nobel laureates? In which country are the most technological companies? In which country Falcon Heavy was launched? You use Windows which was created in... Brazil? I don't think so.
Half of Brazilians even do not have toilets. Geniuses, ahaha.

Yes when thinking in Swedish I suddenly get urges to suck black dicks

I think that it's kinda true, I'm fluent both in French and in English and when I want to think about something more calmly, have more organised though, I usually 'think' in English .
I wonder if it's some kind of mechanism to dissociate with myself when I have some problem as well

There's some phenomenon like that. Some abo languages don't use left or right for directions they use their equivalent of north, south, east and west. So people who have this as their native language naturally know which cardinal direction they are facing at all times their brains were just engineered to work that way.

Can you explain how?

I remember reading about this program in Mexico that was claiming some success in teaching advanced math to Native American students speaking a tonal language, I think the idea is it somehow facilitates the understanding of math. Was looking for a link but can't seem to find it.