The Wheel of Time

Game of Thrones is over. Some dumb ruined post-book seasons then it's over. Who's PUMPED for the new hotness in fantasy adaptations, the upcoming WHEEL OF TIME series brought to you by Sony?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Sony_Pictures_Television_series
youtube.com/watch?v=CNnhhejBkW8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>sony

only reason why I care

Game of Wheels

>the front rank of the Shaido transitioned

My favorite scene. Shit goes down..and crazy boxed Rand flakes

>showrunner: Rafe Judkins, who has written for Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., Chuck, and Hemlock Grove
>it's another fantasy series get a shit TV adaptation episode
>this time it's an actually good book and not a shitty fanfic for autistic preteens
JUST

Rand was already way crazy. Putting him in a pressure cooker then having him burst out and dispense justice was fucking great. Second best scene in the entire series with all of Sanderson's scenes tied for first.

>good book
aw yeah i see it but i you'd anyway. also
>written for Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., Chuck, and Hemlock Grove
Dabid will look world-class compared to that pedigree

*tugs braid*

>i see it but i you'd anyway
>implying wot isn't as close as fantasy gets to literary fiction after tolkien

hey isn't one of the dudes in charge of this some guy whose never worked in film and was a competitor in a season of survivor before moving onto TV?

trying too hard now

Yes, that's all true, why do you ask hehe?

>ur trollen xD
You forgot the fish picture, George. Now stop shitposting and go finish the Song of Tits and Diarrhea.

I got sort of excited for this at first but then

>Sony

Oh well in 50 years or so another company might get a go.

I haven't read WOT, but I have them on my shelf (my mother loved them) and I've read ASOIAF, how do they compare?

Is it a typical good vs evil high fantasy, is it low fantasy, blood, gore etc?

*smooths skirt*

It's proper epic fantasy with lots of irl mythology allusions and concepts.

How old is your mother? Any pics?

now I might actually read those books i've been sitting on for 5 years just so I can shit on showfags

How old are you? Wanna swap dick pix?

It's somewhere in-between.

>tfw you read 40 million words of a garbage story to shit on showfags of a show which will never actually exist

Sounds pretty good. I think Sony is retarded but they know they have to start producing now or else their television/movie department is going to go completely bust.

I only have the first few books, but it'll do for the first few seasons at least

Sony's television and movie departments are separate, unlike Sup Forums

>Sony produced shows
>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Sony_Pictures_Television_series
>mfw

There is not one fucking show in that entire list that is even close to being good

As I've never read the books, I have no idea what to expect.Will this be like GoT?I.E edgy deaths, lots of sex scenes and nudity, foul language, violence etc?

This is why /film/ is pointless

It's the graveyard of tv careers. Lel at the poor clueless fucks that keep making these threads.

Is this soap operish enough?
Remember we need the girl audience and a looooot of dramatic coversations

>robot chicken
>breaking bad
>community
>masters of sex
>better call saul

nah, it'd be pretty tame

>bad
>got tier final seasons
>bad
>bad
>horrible

your point?

OP here. I've been making these threads since way before Sony was attached or the Seda pilot was produced. Actually, that ashcan made me giggle with glee when I learned about it, just because of the Sup Forums thread potential, and oh boy did I exploit it. You see, I love making fun of the wheel of time but also love posting about its awesome moments. It's like a yin-yang thing. I will keep making these threads, buddy, because the Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again. (lol)

Blood and bloody ashes is their big curse. The sex is often implied but I'm sure they'll have no trouble turning mat and perrin into gay lovers.

too young to meme about it in the tarvalon.net crowd huh
t. lit reject

>look mom I'm being contrarian on the internet
Go play in the meme thread, child.

I don't dislike WoT, but please kill yourself

I made the seventh post on /lit/
Soon

and then i kicked you out before your eighth. prove it. also where are the results of the Sup Forums thread potential shitting on that terrible pilot that you're claiming to have exploited? there's too much text and posturing going on here and not enough laffs.

There are no results. There's another wheel of time poster who sometimes posts in my threads who has made all of the successful memes. I just make threads from time to time.

this reminds me of an old friend who swore by his childhood readings of WoT until I read it and started picking it apart (and eventually dropped it)
now he hates it, and I don't even feel bad because fuck that stagnant schlock

ebin

explain the tectonics behind forming this kind of continent

*sniffs*

>Mountains of Dhoom

*speds 10 pages explaining the orgy of different scenic colours when reweaving the global weather patterns with a local area climate moisturizer ter'angreal*

Mickey Mouse?

hey, it's almost like Tolkien, back when calling a mountain ridge "Mountains of Doom" was still okay

besides, Jordan wrote about Andoran tax policies before Martin made it cool

I just hope the sranc don't look too fake

>>this time it's an actually good book and not a shitty fanfic for autistic preteens
No, it's Wheel of Time.

Terribly grating characters, women who put harpies to shame and brave men who morph into whipped sissies the moment a girlie enters the room; and samey characters, because all male and female characters share this trait to some noticeable extent, so it's a reflection of the author's own autism
The same three body language fidgets 12 times per page
11,000 pages for a storyline that would've been leisurely at 2,000 if written competently, and it's not even decent padding, it's fucking braid-pulling nothingness that feels like staring at a wall to progress
You're allowed to eat shit, but man, it is shit
My autism has forced me to finish a lot of mediocre reading, but after 8 or 9 books of that shit WoT broke that habit hard

not at all. It's more YA novel-ish and more standard fantasy.

It's typical good vs evil high fantasy aimed at teenagers. ASOIAF isn't exactly Tolkien but it makes WoT look like shit. ASOIAF is in fact a direct reaction to the kind of crap WoT was doing to the fantasy genre in the early 90's.

>Is this soap operish enough?
>Remember we need the girl audience and a looooot of dramatic coversations
It's basically High School Musical in fantasy format.

I'm a big fan of the books, but a tv adaptation of the wheel of time might just be THE worst idea I have ever heard of

>I'm a big fan of the books, but a tv adaptation of the wheel of time might just be THE worst idea I have ever heard of
Actually a competently made one could actually be good, unlike the shitty books. Shallow characters are less noticeable on TV and they'd have to cut out the mountains of filler by necessity.

>Phoenix, White Queen and Jean Grey sample the latest feminine wash from Ebou Dar

will we finally get a fantasy show with a proper power metal soundtrack?

youtube.com/watch?v=CNnhhejBkW8

The main character has a fucking harem, and there are far better choices if you want to keep cgi costs down

>Land of madmen
>its a dystopian consumist society who resembles america during the 60's ruled by king draper

I hope they keep the filler. I want three seasons of Perrin chasing the Shaido.

>start reading wheel of time because it was memed at me for years
>two pages in I'm getting fuck ass retarded names
>illyena sunhair
>randal thor
>tamal thor
>bel tine
>the world sea
>the water forest
>MUH LIGHT

I sincerely tried but this is like the most generic shit ever so far.

JUST ADAPT MEMORY, SORROW AND THORN TRILOGY FOR GODSAKES

>hope they keep the filler.
Same. An entire episode of Elayne taking a bath sucks in print but would own on tv with a big titted blonde waifu.

>>bel tine
I agree in general but this one is retarded since it's just a takeoff of a real life Celtic pagan festival with a similar name.

Almost all the names in the series are based on real historic or mythology from around the world.

One of the strengths of the WoT is that it's world building is the best of any series in the last 20 years or so.

>egg wiener

Worldbuilding is exactly what turns most scifi/fantasy into unreadable shlock. Also Dune did it better with less autistic filler.

>One of the strengths of the WoT is that it's world building is the best of any series in the last 20 years or so.
It's Forgotten Realms tier. But he used the Muslim name for Satan for his Dark Lord so I guess that makes it good?

It's not worldbuilding, it's that not every hack is a professor of linguistics who can craft new languages where naming conventions can sprout from. Most hacks have to settle for Tom=Tam, Randy=Rand, Helen=slav exotic version, Arthur=Artur etc

World building isn't just naming, it's literally everything about the world the story is set in. The history, the present society, politics, economics, the magic system, even minor stuff like clothing and weapon designs.

And I agree, that is definitely one thing Dune also did very very well.

>Asha'man: kill

>World building isn't just naming, it's literally everything about the world the story is set in. The history, the present society, politics, economics, the magic system, even minor stuff like clothing and weapon designs.
Yes, almost all of that is terrible in Wheel of Time. Giant Box Continent with mix-and-match lego cultures taking real world traits with no understanding of why they happened the way they did in real history. The only novel, believable world building he did was the liberation of women in an iron age setting due to their magic monopoly. But that he squandered with terrible character writing.

Twenty million insane wizards blew up the rest of the continents

> almost all of that is terrible in Wheel of Time
You're in the minority opinion there. Almost all reviews say that despite all the many issues with the books it's world building is one of it's strengths.

But WoT is pretty shit. Don't understand how I managed to slog through the series, but I was young then.

who from the main party is going to receive the diversity hammer?

Because early on it was genuinely great and when it did start to drag with all the filler we always hoped the next book would be good again.

It was also definitely worth sticking to the end as Sanderson did an admirable job ending it all.

Probably Lan and Moiraine.

That's just some big peninsula. Looks like a microcontinent that crushed up into the mainland from the southwest and welded itself to what it wrecked into, forming those massive mountains that bound it. Look to India as a real world example. The smaller secondary mountains appear to be na result little bitty chunks of land accreting onto the mainland from the west, like what you see with the tectonic formation of west California.

Tremalking is obviously based on Santorini in being volcanic and having the caldera explode.

The most telling part of the map is all those bays and stuff though and no real deltas extending into the water. Those rivers are being thrown back into their catchments. That means sea level is rising worldwide and fairly fast.

>You're in the minority opinion there. Almost all reviews say that despite all the many issues with the books it's world building is one of it's strengths.
I don't really care. Next you're going to tell me Harry Potter has deep characters because of reviewer consensus.

>Bowl_of_the_Winds
BRAAAAAAAP

There is no fucking way this goes well.
The sheer number of characters, POV's, and places already make it a nightmare to adapt. Add to that the nature of magic in the setting, which will require close to constant costy CGI to be credible, and you're fucked !

I expect some Legend of the Seeker tier piece of shit

Fuck, Marry, Publicly Humiliate

Go.

>ash'aman.....kill
shits gonna be litty, right? also when perrin was talking to the wolves that they caged sightblinder
>we come brother
oh man those aiel are gonna get fucked

>first few books are pure kino
>now heres 8 books about characters and plotlines you dont give a shit about and go nowhere

In almost every case where a book gets adapted to a movie/show, I want them to stay as true to the source material as possible. This time I hope they heavily edit and improve almost everything.

I will literally forgive everything else if they just get this one scene 100% right. God, it's just so fucking satisfying, everything about it.

Speaking of great scenes, what are some you really want to see adapted well? For me
>Dumai's Wells, kneel or you will be knelt
>Rand just waltzing into the White Tower after he goes buddha-saiyan and absolutely dominating the situation with his mere presence
>Rand asking Cadsuane whether she thinks he could make her heart stop with his ta'veren powers alone
>I'm a gambler, a farmboy, and I'm here to take command of your bloody army!
>Nynaeve going around the Borderlands to get people to follow Lan and the subsequent "we're just walking in the same direction :^)"
>Mat accidentally talking in the old tongue with Birgitte
>anything to do with Mat really, except for the dagger scenes
>Ingtar's redemption
>Demandred being cucked till he dies without Rand/LTT giving a shit about him
>Graendal's human furniture
>all the spankings, bondage collars that can be used to cause pain, public humiliation, petplay, the spankings, the mind control and the spankings
>Lan jackhammering Nynaeve in a mating press

*fugs maid*

>impregnate Aviendha
>still Elayne
>force Min to wear cute frilly dresses

Always aviendha was dark skin

you beat me to it

The aiel are literally irish with the height of the dutch, how the fuck did you imagine them as niggers?

Savages, lives in a desert