Scenario time. You had 500 million US dollars but you can only spend it on improving your city...

Scenario time. You had 500 million US dollars but you can only spend it on improving your city. What architectural or geographical projects would you undertake?

My city El Paso, would definitely invest in public transportation

>downtown area I would buy monorails that look like in Wuppertal germany,
>an international rail from El paso to juarez
>subway station connecting each corner of the city and making the main station in central El Paso.
>Build 4 artificial lakes in each corner of the city to make it more pleasant in the summer.
>Hire more workers working in the border to streamline the amount of people that go in and out of the country everyday.
>invest in a shitload of solar panels to power our city

This will definitely attract tourism from other parts of the US, and bring in more money from mexicans nationals who come to el paso to shop or entertainment

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snowmelt_system
latimes.com/local/california/la-me-bullet-train-cost-increase-20180309-story.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Id give it back to the tax payers resulting in about 4411.23$ per person

Checked and keked.

I'd need three times that amount in order to build an underground metro between the western rail hub, the historical center and the business district /main railway station in Lyon

damn I didnt know building subways was that expensive.

Two rivers and a shitty soil soar the cost

Underground transit is the ultimate public transportation

Charlotte
I dunno, probably a subway station

Set up a large scale rainwater harvesting system enough to cover about 70% of the population, if my math is correct.
Can't do anything else, but I just saved the city from becoming another Cape Town, from sinking and from really strong earthquakes, while saving 40% of all the energy the city uses.

I like your thinking

yes its very convenient but it's too common and wont bring as much tourism.

Cities are not themeparks

youre very pragmatic I like that. But hey you have to have fun once and a while. A big part of the reason why americans like traveling to europe is because of the train rides. America hardly has any trains for public transportation. we see it as fun

Trams are making a big comeback in the US. And so is the HSR in California.

idk suspended metros ruin the perspectives and couldnt work in packed european historical centres, except maybe for the one in grenelle paris

My city is Helsinki. I'll save a 100 million to move away and live there, and use the rest to build as destructive of a bomb as possible to drop in the city

that's true they are coming back but yeha maybe those suspended metros would look better in a more open area like usa .

bra u cant use that money on yourself thats the rule, and bombing ur city ? why dont you like your city?

Helsinki is where the trash of Finland lives. If it disappeared we would be better off in the long term.

how about investing in education for those trashy people? or social programs to stop making this people so trashy? Maybe even higher right wing death squads with that money. my point is , there are better ways than just leveling everything

Destroy all slums, build government commieblocks like asian ant colonies. Charge small rent.

not bad idea, good start indeed

>put more dog parks so there is no piss all over the fucking streets all the fucking time. in winter theres yellow mountains everywhere in summer a stream of piss slowly draining into the streets
>trashcans everywhere
>get rid of the begging fucking gypsies
>sidewalk heating on the busiest areas
>underground parking garages
>proper bikeroads not just upgraded sidewalks

but especially get rid of the fucking beggars

Those look more like slums, It's like you don't know what are true commie blocks.

I know I been to east germany and it's a photo i used to troll a greek on here.

>sidewalk heating on the busiest areas

shit, did u just make that or that actually exist?

change the wires, plumbing and every tube of the commieblocks, new road surface, new pavement surface, no cheapshit, upgrade the public transport systems and alike

Nice I like that you want to fix up the commie blocks. But why not replace commie blocks for better looking buildings? or will that be too expensive?

of course it exists, mostly it just uses heat from the buildings near to it though

its to melt the ice not to make you feel cozy

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snowmelt_system

damn ma nigga, thats some straight first world shit, Nomtalkin bout?

My city is Riverside, CA.

>Completely redo the drainage system. Instead of concrete ditches the city would be have a series of ephemeral stream-beds going through them middle of the city leading straight to water treatment and then the aquifer or the Santa Anna River. If you can imagine, they would be like streets in Amsterdam only instead of water lined with sidewalks/shops, it would be cloud like beds of chaparral winding through the city.
>Buy long strips of land/houses in the run down area between UCR and Downtown. Then build multiple pedestrian centered corridors lined with high density affordable housing
>Revive the trolleys mostly in the aforementioned pedestrian corridors
>Buy as much land on the periphery of the city as possible and forbid development/tear down existing development to reverse sprawl.
>Absolutely everything I build would be in the classic mission style architecture.

I know you couldn't do most of these things with only 500 million, but really the question is "what would you do if you had all the money you needed?".

Also if I wasn't limited to my own city, I would be damned sure to make UC Shasta finally happen. They really need one and they have been waiting too long.

>tfw you see Americans have been making good threads lately

>to make UC Shasta finally happen.
whats this?

>Revive the trolleys mostly in the aforementioned pedestrian corridors

Nice they are currently reviving the trolley system in downtown el paso , its going to look beautiful once they are done, its gonna span from the end of the university to close to the US mexico border and cross downtown.

this is at least over 100 times the annual budget of my small town so i would:
*fund school renovation and after school activity, like: opening a more advanced electronics/robotics club, provide funds to teach biology out of the classroom and labs to do hands on experiments in all relevant scientific fields, also physical and rudimentary military education by professionals
*fund life-long education involving people 60+ to get new skills and enable them to pass on their existent knowledge to younger ones by including them in the education system
*improve sustainable energy to reduce dependency on the grid and provide energy autonomy
*fund local entrepreneurship in targeted areas. i'm thinking: added value in electronics and mechanical manufacturing, forestry and woodworking, fish farming, fishing tourism etc.
*fund hydroponic and aquaponic start-ups thereby reducing arable land consumption and re-forestation
*increase funding in transportation so people could go to work in the larger city 20km away while coming to home to enjoy a natural place where children grow up safe. perhaps a shuttle to reduce 30 minutes commute time down to 5-10 minutes
*build a proper theater and a cinema. right now there's only a theater and it is underfunded
*build a beach infrastructure worthy of the first republic when my town was known all over northeast europe as a summer vacation destination
*fund opening up dozens of local breweries and help them breach larger markets to put us on the map
etc.

these are just first thoughts

>whats this?
Redding CA has Shasta College which right now is just a low key local college. But there has been a push to transform it into a full blown University of California since there is none north of Sacramento. The far north region has long suffered from a massive brain drain from talented young people leaving to the Bay and LA for better opportunities. Having a major university with the full backing of the state would hopefully reverse this and draw talent into the region, give qualified personnel a reason to stay, add jobs and infrastructure while diversifying their economy. There is also the huge boost in social mobility that the UCs bring.There's Cal State Chico and Humboldt State up there but not a UC. Yet last time we decided to build a new UC, Redding lost the bid to Merced which admittedly the San Joaquin Valley also needed desperately.

>Nice they are currently reviving the trolley system in downtown el paso , its going to look beautiful once they are done, its gonna span from the end of the university to close to the US mexico border and cross downtown.
Whats the timeline on it? I wish we could do the same. As of right now our bus system is shit. You can never count on it being on time and the buses still have to compete with car traffic so you get stuck in a jam anyway.

>wichita ks
Probably try to liven up the down town a bit or add more comfy areas to our little bohemian areas.

dont die on me

>*fund life-long education involving people 60+ to get new skills and enable them to pass on their existent knowledge to younger ones by including them in the education system

This one made me tear up, I hope u become politician and can do these things one day lad

why so ironic?

>And so is the HSR in California.

Yeah. About that...
latimes.com/local/california/la-me-bullet-train-cost-increase-20180309-story.html

Because you want to take of old people. Thats something realy rare in my cunt :(

They say middle of this year till end of the year they been working on it since fall 2015 so hopefully they are true to their word

Middle of this year or till the end*