youtu.be/eNAlNfQ1zDg
youtu.be/0rJg9xycERA
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

wow

literally who

wow bob wow

Post GOAT Tardis redesigns

What /who/ with you?
What are people watching / hearing / reading?
For me, it's Torchwood - intelligent, nihilistic, and with a wicked sense of humour.

>she doesnt even know you exist

I-is Bradley Walsh really the new companion?

No way to know, it's just a tabloid rumour for now.

Who is the new doctor

Jodie Whittaker

Who?

Jodie Whittaker

Exactly

Jodie Whittaker is an English actress best known for Broadchurch, Attack the Block, St Trinian's, and Venus.

I genuinely have to wonder how this got past the script editor.

For me it's Jodie Whittaker. Intelligent, nihilistic and with a wicked sense of humour.

What's wrong with it? His name is Doctor Who. He's always been credited that way, and it's always how people have referred to him, especially back then.

Silence TARDIS was dope as well, wish it was given to a proper Time Lord.

Is this canon?

Is World Enough and Time / The Doctor Falls / Twice Upon a Time a 3parter?

Bloody hell, it's almost 4AM. I've just realized.

...good night /who/.

Thread theme: streamable.com/njndd

night user!

Well yeah, we all know Dr. Who is his true and canon name, but he's never supposed to be called that by other characters and the way it's thrown in so nonchalantly it's like the writers didn't realize this.

Plot-wise yes but not thematically probably. WEaT/TDF was about The Master even though he/she wasn't in it that much, but overall it was her story of overcoming his past and making a right choice for once as a redemption story. Twice Upon a Time is entirely about the Doctor.

This shirt
I don't wear it anymore.

Guys and gals and genderfluid geniuses...what if 13 ends up being a top qt (in terms of personality?)

I had a dream about 13 last night. Was pretty nice.

Eh I think a lot of that is just fanwankery that came later and treating 60s Doctor Who like the institution it is now. I like that it's just thrown out there t b h

What was your dream

Sweet dreams to you.

It involved Thirteen being undercover on a planet with a matriarchal society, pretending to be a royal.

And that's aaaall you did with the Doctor?

hi

Not only was continuity not a thing then, but after episodes aired no one expected them to be watched ever again, meaning writers felt free to contradict their own work. Dalek history, for example, becomes an impenetrable mess inside of their first three stories, all of which were written by the same guy.

It was only around the 1980s when people started paying attention to any of that stuff, which coincidentally is also when 1) Doctor Who became a niche interest rather than a national treasure, 2) home video became a thing, and 3) the biggest fanboy in history took over the show and made it totally inaccessible to non-uber-fans, dredging up 20-year-old plot points because he could.

I mean clearly they were more lax back then since that War Machines scene got to air, but it's a mistake that wasn't corrected, not the deliberate revelation of the Doctor's name. His name in-universe was supposed to be a secret and all other references to it being Who are in the form of sly jokes. That's why no one else ever calls him Dr. Who. And of course continuity was a thing, earlier in the year they had the Massacre speech and the first time Dalek history was retconned they did attempt to give a weak explanation. The show generally avoided assuming people had seen past episodes and for good reason, but it's not like the idea of consistency didn't exist or people in the '60s were incapable of remembering basic stuff.

>it's a mistake that wasn't corrected
prove it

What the fuck was his problem?

>not the deliberate revelation of the Doctor's name. His name in-universe was supposed to be a secret
That's a very NuWho way to look at it.

Ive never watched this show before what seasons should i go till if i were to pick it up anons?

Start with Series 1, 2005. First episode is "Rose".

If you really don't click with that at all, not even the main actor, try Series 5, 2010, first episode is "The Eleventh Hour".

Well that depends user, do you want cheesy 60s-80s sci-fi or cheesy 2000s sci-fi?

Start with Season 1, 1963. First episode is "An Unearthly Child".

I'm not sure what you're trying to imply here, Edge.

that like most male feminists you are a closested pervert

Someone can be perverted, and still very feminist. One can desire women while respecting them as people.

immigrant isnt feminist

Uh, why do you say that?

2000s sci fi

youve never identified as feminist

Then yeah, this user is who you should listen to

MHM

You like Thirteen, don't you, Immigrant?

Then watch Stargate SG-1.

In terms of Who, start with either Series 1 Ep 1 "Rose", or Series 5 Ep 1 "The Eleventh Hour."

edge definitely isnt a feminist

pretty sure neos a feminist

I'm all for equal treatment of women, and believe in the concept of privilege and such. I've never declared it, but never saw the need to.

I am developing a wee crush...

have you had sex?

He wouldn't be posting on Sup Forums if he had, user

the only -ist im sure wanderer is
is racist

You like Jodie don't you Immigrant?

Cats is kinda racist

Whittaker-sama!

what do you think about cloister being a sexist and misogynist? he definitely not a feminist

Notice how the Peter Cushing Doctor gets called Dr. Who a million times, because in-universe that is the character's name and it's not a secret. Meanwhile Hartnell's Doctor gets called "Dr. Who" in only one scene, cowritten by a writer who had never written for the show before and one who had written only one story. And as Neo's pointed out, people in the production team and the general public often referred to the character as Dr. Who, so it's easy to see how someone would get confused and think that Who was only a seldom-used name.

The fuck are you talking about?
BARBARA: Oh, look, I don't understand it any more than you do. The inside of the ship, suddenly finding ourselves here. Even some of the things Doctor Foreman says
IAN: That's not his name. Who is he? Doctor who? Perhaps if we knew his name we might have a clue to all this.
Memes aside, that is the meaning of the show's title, that he's mysterious, not that his name is Doctor Who. The reason the character was referred to as Dr. Who is most likely because he's the Doctor from Doctor Who, distinguishing him from all the other doctors in real life and fiction. I remember seeing something where Robert Holmes complained about writers making the same mistake, writing "Dr. Who" in their scripts and of course he would change it to "Doctor" because that's what the character is supposed to be called and it would be profoundly weird if some character randomly pulled out a "Dr. Who." Honestly, I think you're making the viewers and writers of the '60s out to be simpletons, like they wouldn't notice that the Doctor's name had never before been stated onscreen or couldn't understand the concept of a character being referred to by a different name inside and outside a show.

How about where to end? Is capbaldi good?

him and neo are the opposite sides of the australian coin
cats is racist queensland type
neo is a greenie tassie type

End when you stop having fun. The show is still ongoing so if you like it, you can wait with us until the christmas special and then the several month hiatus until series 11 starts.
Capaldi is pretty good, all things considered. I liked him as the Doctor more than I liked Matt Smith, at least.

End? Why end anywhere? What do you mean?
The show is ongoing. Go from S1 to S10 (the latest series), or S5 to S10. Then S11 will air next year.

>Honestly, I think you're making the viewers and writers of the '60s out to be simpletons, like they wouldn't notice that the Doctor's name had never before been stated onscreen or couldn't understand the concept of a character being referred to by a different name inside and outside a show.
That's a good point, it's easy to conflate "Doctor Who wasn't really 'Doctor Who' as we think of it now back then" (which I think) with "60s people were dumb and didn't know/care about continuity". Good point.

lol

>Queensland type
>Greenie tassie type
??

The new UNIT team are back in UNIT: Encounters! Here's the cover art for the fifth set of UNIT Adventures, out in November.

Kate Stewart (played by Jemma Redgrave), Osgood (played by Ingrid Oliver) and the UNIT team are back! Coming out in November, the latest in the New Series of the UNIT adventures sees the team against Daleks, Sontarans, and their greatest threat yet...themselves!

-

The Dalek Transaction by Matt Fitton

When a rogue guerrilla faction offer an alien artefact for auction, Kate Stewart and her team go undercover to the jungles of Central America. But they find that the prize on offer is far deadlier than its owners realise. Captive, desperate and alone. That’s when a Dalek is at its most dangerous.

Invocation by Roy Gill

It’s Hallowe’en, and Josh finds himself at a party where phantoms are becoming all too real. Osgood is working late and hears a voice from the skies making strange incantations. The next day, Kate has gone missing in the Scottish Borders, and the team head north to investigate. Ghosts from the past are haunting UNIT, and now they threaten the whole world…

The Sontaran Project by Andrew Smith

On a routine reconnaissance mission, Colonel Shindi finds more than he bargains for in the Forest of Ardennes. Back in England, an old colleague makes Osgood an offer she cannot refuse. The chance to take part in an exciting new scientific advance. Before long, UNIT is on collision course with a force of alien clones, and Kate must forge an unlikely alliance.

False Negative by John Dorney

When a strange travel capsule is activated in UNIT’s laboratory, Osgood and Josh find themselves in a whole new world of trouble. Soon, nobody at UNIT HQ is quite who they seem, and the team discovers that the greatest danger they could ever face comes from within...

Are Big Finish's UNIT stories any good?

he is a racist and homophobic old man that will be dead soon we hope

Not really. They're set before two Osgoods, so not much tie-ins. And the stories are pretty formulaic. Very, very Fitton. I've only heard the first 2 sets though, maybe the 3rd one with the Silents is better.

Can't say for new series but I listened to the original UNIT run. not that great. I can't remember any of them except The Coup barely.

Well, that's disappointing.

At least the Torchwood ones are great

The new box set or the other ones?

The entire range is generally very good. Some highlights are Fall to Earth, Ghost Mission, Zone 10, Broken, Corpse Day, the list goes on and on. The new boxset isn't significantly better or worse than the general range.

I liked them all well enough. Silenced was the best one and I'll admit it felt like the "reward" for listening to the first two. Assembled was really only fun wank the story itself wasn't incredibly interesting. As I think you'd expect from a UNIT Silurian story t b h. spoilers, the Silurians/Sea Devils still aren't welcomed back to the surface.

>torchwood ended in 2011!

>Corpse Day
Sounds like a story about dealing with the tidal wave of deaths after Miracle Day ended.

I'll definitely get around to Silenced and Assembled at some point, they do sound a lot more interesting than the first 2.
Vol5 sounds interesting in apparently there's no arc, it's just 4 stories with nothing to do with each other. Wonder why they changed their usual style.

Set beforehand I'm afraid!

Ianto's not even a real name

Scaroth reporting in.

I don't think Cloister is a misogynist or sexist.

Actually, what do you consider a feminist?

reminder that cats is a homophobe who's going to vote no on the same sex marriage plebiscite

Someone please post Jodie's feet

No. Why do you ask?

Cats isn't homophobic, user.

>Drs new companion is a daddy-fu

How will this new dynamic play out?

Why does Andrew Smith have such a boner for the Sontarans?

>Cats isn't homophobic, user.
he gets angry whenever anyone calls him gay in a way that implies he believes being gay is a bad thing

REEEEEE
WHERE'S MY FUCKING TWINK COMPANION
A 57 YEAR OLD MAN IS NOT A TWINK COMPANION

if that's the case then neo really does hate doctor who

I didn't realise Big Finish made 'title sequences' for the River audios, neat

youtu.be/eNAlNfQ1zDg

youtu.be/0rJg9xycERA

Don't we all?