American Beauty thread

What did Sup Forums think of pic related?
Who else was annoyed by the marine-turned-closet-gay ending?
Did he deserve what he got in the end?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=gHxi-HSgNPc
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

It's extremely of its time. Not bad, but not very rewatchable.

mismatched boobs are fun to look at, everyone likes the circus. not sure what others saw here.

One of my favourite films. Thought the ending was good, not sure why it annoyed you.

>Irony is you and all the retards who liked your comment

No because I'm not an insecure white man.

I wish I was back at the time when this movie came out tbdesu.

OP here, probably shouldnt have been a retard and made thread before the final twist but I was referring to the garage scene. Other than that very good movie

>This is the kind of people who browse Sup Forums
>Unironically can't marathon a whole movie without pausing it and shitposting.

I really weep for the futur when I think about millenials attention span

Jesus christ what the fuck is wrong with you. Can you not watch a movie in one sitting

Well we can finally know if the human race is going to cure cancer or just say fuck it and give up.

Beautiful movie

youtube.com/watch?v=gHxi-HSgNPc

It's extremely rewatchable.

It's not a movie that is entirely plot driven, meaning its moments can be enjoyed time and time again for what they are. The movie has a lot of great moments and sequences that are enjoyable to watch because of the quality of the writing and acting. One can vicariously live through the time when watching this film, and any film that can bring that experience to a viewer is more than just "not bad".

I thought the marine being revealed as a closeted homosexual was interesting and very apt for his character. I remember the first time I watched it being quite shocked by it, but upon further viewings a lot of subtle tells do reveal his nature.

>implying OP is a millennial
>implying you're not a millennial

If you were growing up during 9/11 you're a millennial, congrats. Most posters on this site right now are NOT millennials though, but part of Generation Z (born 96+). If you're 21 and younger you're Generation Z.

this desu, it really caught me off guard, what did you think of lester's death?

dont worry friendo, all these hotheads gotta pull their "born in the wrong generation" and "kids these days" memes.

The original intended ending was a lot better on paper.
Essentially the two kids get arrested for the murder of Kevin Spacey's character and the whole "who dun it" series of shots, which I found to be the one of the worst parts of the film, would have been removed.

I guess you could say the ending wouldn't have had the same impact had they stuck with the original one, which is why I imagine why they changed it.

shit caught me off guard, ADD might have something to do with it tho.

It still turns out that way. Just off screen.

I remember reading a post on here theorizing that he wasn't gay but simply trying to come to grips with what his son was feeling. He felt ashamed about the way he treated his son and in order to remedy this he decided to put himself in his shoes, only to of course realize that he was duped and that his son wasn't gay like he imagined.

Thoughts?

Hmm, there is nothing to suggest that in movie though. Or is there?

I think the lack of showing the end results/the aftermath and all this other context worked for this film. If the whole thing was meant to be a true take on "American Dream gone wrong" then the way the camera ominously swept away like this could be any other family under the surface really worked for me.

The director and writer are both faggots so I always assumed they were pushing an "all homophobes are secretly gay" agenda. Your theory kind of makes sense too though.

Remember in the beginning there is the tape shown, where they seem to be plotting his death. The gay dad is scott free and I'm sure it's the intention that somebody else was watching that tape.

not gonna lie, i thought they were pulling a "homophobe is homo" or "toxic masculinity" meme on us but to think of it more in depth I thought it quite aligned with his character.

I also thought there was some slight gun ownership stuff in this film aswell, with the wife having easy access and claiming it to make her feel powerful to the obviously damaged marine having them on display in his glass cabinets.
What do you reckon burger bros? do you see that often?

Later on the same part is shown, but the tension is never held and we never suspect the kids, because gay dad is shown minutes later.

The movie could have benefitted from a more ambiguous ending of who really did it. The court shit not so much.

I'm rural so having a weapon on display isn't so much a display of power as it would be elsewhere. Idolizing them or using one as a metaphorical cock as the lady did is a bit crazy and unsettling.

this is literally what I thought was happening when I first saw it and I got flack for it when discussing it