Was his standup good?

was his standup good?

He put fame before the craft so no. The ending was just his delusional mind.

the end was ambigous like taxi driver but it would make sense for someone who pulled a move like this off to get booked after

I also thought his standup was good, they didn't show jerry lewis standup because it wasn't better

I thought his stand up was okay when I first saw this although I was like 16. Second time I saw I was about 25 and it was really lame and like that woman said he rushes it. Comedy was only a means to an end for him so it comes off as little surprise that his routine was not actually well developed. He should have actually honed his craft although considering he was just obsessed with being famous and acknowledged in the end it didn't really matter. He got what he wanted.

It's been a while since I watched this but I own it. Might pull it off the shelf and watch this weekend. I have a feeling it will be even more relevant today where people have become far more obsessed with celebrity and the quick road to stardom.

DeNiro's last great role

Nah, that was Awakenings.

He could've been a contender

the reason that part is so rewarding is because his standup is just okay. you spend the whole movie wondering, "is he great? or does he suck?" and then he comes out and he's fine, but that's it, he's just fine, like any normal dude who's not a standup genius, like any mediocre comedian you'd see a few nights at a club or summat

yeah but it's still better than much stuff a-list comedians put out, standup just isn't that funny usually

I didn't find it rewarding. It is ultimately disappointing. I think deep down we were hoping that Rupert would in fact be the awesome, undiscovered comedic genius he saw himself as which would somewhat validate his tenacity and obsession. Ultimately, he's just an untalented schmuck who wants to be recognised.

it was surprisingly weak and kind of a let-down, the movie would have been better if he had hit it out of the park at the end

You mean it would have been more satisfying, which doesn't mean better.

The reason it's disappointing is I think deep down we all have a little Rupert in us, we want to believe that we're awesome and just unrecognised and haven\t been given our opportunity to really shine. The idea that we could just be mediocre and not as great as we see ourselves is quite confronting.

THAT'S WHAT MAKES IT SO FUNNY THO

wut

he's actually spot on doing a perfect imitation of the kind of jokes and mannerisms that comedians on talk shows would do to open the show.
they were simple, corny, and disarming, even while not necessarily laugh out loud funny.

Comedians don't open those kind of shows. They're either the last act or the act before a musical closing number. He orchestrates it so he can open. And imitation isn't anything to be proud of, he seemed to contend he was genuinely or so good at what he did do that was he was a game changer.

>tfw he reveals his mother is dead in his monologue during the end
>tfw you realize he was mimicking his mom's voice earlier in the film

was this supposed to be creepy or was i supposed to brush it off

MAAAAAAAA
I GOTTA DO THIS NOW

its actually fucking amazing compared to most of the crap that came out in the 70s. look up freddie prince's stand up from the 70s, or jay leno,, or any of the stand up specials from the 70s. They all sound terrible now. Carlin's best bit is about bad words. he mostly did observational humor.

its overall pretty good for its time.

It was creepy. Norman Bates did the same thing.

you all should really look up 1970s stand up. most of it is pretty bad, freddie prince was one of the best of the early 70 apprently, his jokes are stale as shit. most of what we considered hack today was new and innovative then.

overall considering those jokes were written by non-comedians they are pretty good at looking like a reliable set.

Like you all don't realize that 70s stand up isn't norm and louis ck stuff.

one liners like De Niro's were pretty much the norm.

70s had Rodney Dangerfield still going strong as wekk as Richard Pryor, Steve Martin, Andy Kaufman, Bob Newhart, Letterman, Cosby and even Seinfeld starting out. There were plenty of great comics and all better than Rupert.

Scorsese himself has admitted that Pupkin's stand up is not great. Which is part of the point, it's just barely good enough but would not even be remotely noteworthy or memorable had the guy not kidnapped the host of the show prior to his performance to get on tv.

That's the actual point of the whole movie

So why do you want it to end in a way it isn't intended to be.

it's not the best but it's still on a high level, if you consider that it's his literal debut as a standup it's very outstanding

Where did I say that? I'm just describing how it is, not how I want it to be.

Never seen it. I don't intend to because it's easily Scorseses worst movie

This is what actual autism looks like.

>Sup Forums in one post

>GUIZ, U DUN GET IT, THINGS WERE DIFFERENT IN THE PAST!
>WAKE UP SHEEPLE, I AM VERY SMART

Are you 12?

The whole point is not whether it was good or not to you (the audience in the film clearly enjoyed it which is a statement by itself)

the point is that none of his jokes were really jokes. Everything he said, all of tales of abuse by his parents and his peers actually happened. It was the one time he was truthful during the entire movie. It's not necessarily supposed to be funny as much as it is supposed to be sad and disturbing