Women, when they watched this film, probably thought:

Women, when they watched this film, probably thought:
>ugh, the teacher is a bad guy, he's abusive and always angry, poor students, blah blah blah

Do they not get the bigger picture? Do they not understand the low-key fascistic inspirations that Whiplash had? Do they not understand the strive for perfection and the common good of the band?
Why is it always about muh feelings, always about compassion and sympathy with them?

Women will never understand the relationship between the teacher and the drummer. It's beyond anything they'll ever experience.

He's supposed to be an abusive teacher who really wants Drummer Lad to fail. He succeeds despite him.

the point is that the strive for perfection and obsession is harmful and destructive.

stop projecting your own insecurities with women to films please.

You're a beta male who missed the point of the movie.

He succeeded thanks to him, not despite him.

>muh harmful and destructive
t. cunt with legs

He was the fucking bad guy you moron. He was more interested in being the guy that found the next big star instead of actually finding him

Yet he found him, you insufferable retard, not because he was nice and sympathetic but because he kept pushing harder.

Women don't understand the competition at hand, don't understand the efforts required, don't understand the deeper meanings of being a leader.
They live just fine in their mediocrity, that's a disgusting fact about the inferior gender.

And funnily enough, so do beta males.

>main character makes personal sacrifices to be successful in a creative field

is chazelle gonna make the same movie about himself until he dies?

Why are you bitching like a woman? You're no better.

>low-key
Stopped reading right there. Whining about women while using millennial twitter vernacular? Kill yourself.

You seem bitter. Maybe you should chill instead of imagining women's opinions and then yelling at them.

Leftists hate this movie because the teacher appeared to be a macho extremist.
Women hate this movie because they'll never understand the inspiration of the drummer.
Libertarians hate this movie because they believe that force is never necessary to achieve anything.

All in all, only real men will understand Whiplash.

>a beta trying to understand a leader
your surface understanding of how to lead or teach is cute.
A leader would understand that different people respond to different methods. A leader wouldnt keep telling the same fucking story about how that guy got the chair thrown at his head then try to replicate it. A leader wouldnt try and trow him under the bus with no chance of recovery. You can see that by how surprised he was at the end, he wanted to ruin him and he succeeded in spite of that and it was only at the very end of the movie that simmons realized he fucked up and actually started helping him

>probably

If you actually ever interacted with women you could ask them instead of making assumptions.

The character was cartoonish, the twists were contrived, and the philosophy of music was juvenile. It was a well produced, well acted movie that was completely mediocre.

>A leader wouldnt keep telling the same fucking story about how that guy got the chair thrown at his head then try to replicate it.
it was because he didn't give up that proved he was stronger and better than everybody else though user and he wanted to find the next guy who would be that good instead of someone who would give up or reach a level were someone could say "you did pretty well"

>He's supposed to be an abusive teacher who really wants Drummer Lad to fail
No he doesn't you fucking idiot. Talk about missing the fucking point.

>sips $20 latte while wearing beanie and plaid flannel

>simmons realized he fucked up
He never fucked up you fool, he knew what he was doing all along.

He would have been a """""""bad guy"""""" if he had shut down the drummer at the last performance but he didn't. He knew what was happening.
Genius happened.

The only way to find Genius with a capital G, as in God, is to force it to burst out of its shell.

whiplash is lower middle class's wet dream

best way to explain it, it was literal fanfic tier wet dream some shit writer churned out
and every pleb on the planet applauded it

ending was trash
dialog was trash
no actual struggle, just depiction of struggle and deus ex machina tier ending with no actual resolution or challenge or defeat of antagonist
teacher wasnt well written
scenes werent well depicted

the whole dragging or rushing bullshit was tripe for plebs who want to be 2deep4u about simple fucking concepts

also jazz is go to for plebs who want to be 2deep4u about music , like an socially inept liberal dictating to you how racist you are, because you dont know how oppressive the washington monument is

He kept telling that story and replicated waht he did because he wanted people to tell stories about him. Like a said before, he was more interested in being the guy that found the next talent instead of actually finding it. Why was he mad when the drummer started showing him up at the end of the movie, then suddenly change?

He was literally mad that the drummer was succeeding. He didnt shut him down because he wanted to embarrass and destroy him, and once the other member of the band started playing, he couldnt just get them to stop playing, otherwise he would have looked like a massive tool. If Fletcher couldnt actually spot and nurture talent. he wouldnt have driven a guy that clearly didnt ahve the talent or could take the abuse to suicide.

You know absolutely nothing of writing and you are pretentious hipster trash.

>Why was he mad when the drummer started showing him up at the end of the movie, then suddenly change?
we can't know for sure, but I'm pretty certain it was because he wasn't exactly showing him up at first, he was just coming back and trying to prove him wrong, which was something he didn't believe he was capable of doing, so he started to belittle and berate him for being a moron, but as he starts proving to Fletcher that he's doing a damn good job, he starts to go with it and has faith in him since he finally learned the lesson that Fletcher was trying to teach him, not to just say "well yeah, I did a pretty good job, I did the best I can do and there's no reason to strive for better"
both of them wanted the same thing
Fletcher wanted to find someone who was going to be one of the greats and he wanted to be great

>Women, when they watched this film, probably thought

stopped reading

He probably just has standards.

ITT: Sup Forumsbros pretending to be hardcore "I'LL DIE BEFORE I GIVE UP"auters.

You DO know you're on Sup Forums, right? That you're wasting your time shitposting in the movie section no less? Why the fuck areyou pretending to be all "rise and grind"?

Yeah I'm not in 100% agreement with all your points, but the movie is trash.

No, is right. J. K. Simmons' character was completely obsessed with finding his star-musician and was ready to break people to force him into existence.

Contrary to what the film suggests you don't get star-athletes/musicians/etc. by abusing the shit out of people until they magically become masters. Of course you need discipline and training, but shouting and tearing down their self-esteem will never produce any lasting talent. Also, he was a narcicisstic prick.

>probably

It is therefore just as little necessary for the saint to be a philosopher as for the philosopher to be a saint; just as it is not necessary for a perfectly beautiful person to be a great sculptor, or for a great sculptor to be himself a beautiful person. In general, it is a strange demand on a moralist that he should commend no other virtue than that which he himself possesses. To repeat abstractly, universally, and distinctly in concepts the whole inner nature of the world, and thus to deposit it as a reflected image in permanent concepts always ready for the faculty of reason, this and nothing else is philosophy."

He knew he had talent. He was trying to get rid of his complacency so he could be the best he could be.

My mother did understand the movie.

You don't need to be a stereotype to recognize a movie that gets more praise than it's worth. It was like a cross between The Social Network, the first half of Full Metal Jacket, and truly pretentious opinions on music. I think it's a fine movie, but that people think it's some masterpiece is stupid. I'm a musician though, which I'm sure makes me extra sensitive to people's assertions as to what it should and shouldn't be. When they're at the dinner table and his brother says "isn't it subjective?" and the kid answers "no", and all the talk about being the greatest of all time is bullshit, and the tempo scene is retarded. Then apparently the guy torpedos his own band to humiliate the kid, and it's this gross predictable plot twist? This movie was full of garbage.

People actually do stupid, crazy things in real life though.

oh yeah? like what pal

Newfag here. What movie is this? Looks gay. Why do you care what stupid psyco women think like.

>sipping intensifies.

Doesn't mean they aren't shit and that he comes across as a insufferably pretentious, navel gazing fuckwad.
>Dez thingz r bad bcuse I says so!
>Any1 hu likes wat I dont iz plebz XPPPP!
>Doesn't even give good reasoning behind his "critiques"
Yeah no, you don't have to like something that others do but when you try to come off as being better than others for it, and you don't even give reasoning to back up your assertions, I'm gonna call you out like the insufferable douchebag that you are.

The only thing I did not get was how the guy from Fantastic 4 had the nerve to accept JK Simmons's request to play at his band. Or he knew what would happen and just wanted penance

Theres a long history of directors humiliating actors because they're power tripping, or creative types actively working against their own interests. Hell Andy Warhol got one of his artists so buttmad they tried to kill him

>ugh, the teacher is a bad guy, he's abusive and always angry, poor students, blah blah blah
thats exactly what my ex thought about one cool art teacher. back then we both were art students. She was so sensitive and would usually stop drawing for a week if someone would "hurt" her through cryticism.
While i was so happy because it felt like challenging adventure.

I think boys/men usually like being challenged by somebody stronger/smarter than them.
While women need help in terms of...literal help like children would do.
PS:
i work as artist now while she doesnt

>Contrary to what the film suggests you don't get star-athletes/musicians/etc. by abusing the shit out of people until they magically become masters. Of course you need discipline and training, but shouting and tearing down their self-esteem will never produce any lasting talent. Also, he was a narcicisstic prick.

The point was that he [Fletcher] had a personal philosophy on what it meant to achieve greatness and the drummer proved it, Fletcher won in the end. Your assertions that some people can't/don't achieve greatness by being tore down are unfounded and baseless. The film also already address the fact that Fletcher broke a former student and drove him to suicide. The drummer had talent and dedication, Fletcher saw it, he "nurtured" it and push him to the limits, The drummer was pushed and almost died from it, then the drummer "succeeds" and brings about his true genius. Fletcher wins. It really is not that hard to understand. The film is all about what some people personally believe greatness is and how to achieve it. Its worth nothing however that greatness =/= prosperity in life and the actor who plays the drummer (along with the writer/director himself) acknowledge that The Drummer will most likely have a sad, lonely life and die young in his 30's.
This film is a masterpiece.

T.Vapid relativist.

People with really shit taste tend to hate "elitist" and "Connoisseurs" with quite a lot of vitriol, even when they aren't being pompous at all.

Things are often self evidently shit. People expecting some sort of in depth rebuttal are too stupid to bother with. No one cares about convincing plebs you are right because a plebs view is worthless.

I haven't even seen the movie btw

Men and women are different, no surprises there. Many men have to push themselves to achieve greatness because they don't really have a choice (or at least they feel that way). Most women prefer exceptional men because they evolved psychologically to be that way. Men of value = money, high social standing, resources, good genes, etc. Women are valued simply for being...women. Men actually have to earn their worth in this world.

>t. triggered hipster garbage
>calls something shit
>Doesn't even explain it why is
>"tee hee i donts hav 2 xplain miself Iz smirt uz dum XPPP!!"
>"Itz b self evidents n sheit, Me so aheed of da curv yo!"
Thanks for exposing yourself as a literally nigger, you fucking nigger.

fishing for (you)s eh? Need to use better bait.

This post is so retarded that is really worthy of this board. This is the only board so worthless and retarded that infuriates me, and I visit Sup Forums and Sup Forums daily.
Btw every movie that I have seen because I read about it here has been a worthless waste of time. This board has literally the worst taste in movies I have never been exposed too. This board is worthless and the people here are worthless.

found triggered wommynz

>Women, when they watched this film, probably thought
>probably

>OP make broad assumption based on nothing
>OP asks leading questions based on broad assumption based on nothing
>OP is a fag

>Anything that is contrary to my opinion is bait
Kys

Actually I had a teacher like him when I was younger. He pushed me pretty damn hard and even shamed me sometimes. I used to hate his guts, but when I grew up I caught on with what he was doing. So I went back to thank him, and he was touched that I realized he was pushing me so that I could be the best person possible. Instead of something less than what I could be.

As far as we can tell, his music career was still over after the concert. He dropped out of the prestigious music school ans
Schillinger probably still hates him and will blacklist him in that city. Yeah he wowed those concert patrons, but there's no indication this was his big breakthrough, just a big fuck you to schillinger to show he was that good.

>Schillinger
This isn't OZ man...

way to miss the point you absolute fucking retard holy shit

This isn't how teaching is supposed to be. People are meant to be kind, empathetic and emotional.

you sound 12. learn how carry a conversation first instead of sperging out like a Sup Forums tier babby. you're an embarrassment

this movie is a cartoon

any working musician would agree

Holy shit, the people that frequent Sup Forums

Suck my dick faggot

>What your father told you on your 21st birthday

>any working musician would agree

kek

KEK

>All working musicians think alike

>musicians have work

t. woman

this way of teaching is not in the spirit of jazz, jazz was more like you get together with the talented musicians from the area and learn from them through jamming in a natural way. if you want to be the greatest the drive has to come from yourself and not some retarded teacher. If I was miles I'd wish he slap so I can beat him up in front of the other students

>imagining what women are thinking and then getting mad about it

>all these beta males defending cunt-on-legs ITT

Pretty distasteful.

What the fuck is this rant that came out of nowhere. Op, you may be autistic.

>watching Whiplash
>find JK Simmons really sympathetic
>find his bullying funny and kind of charming
>start to be annoyed by the whiny ass emo kid who takes everything so seriously
>JK does easily avoidable things to the kid
>he's so dumb he falls for them everytime
>I fucking hate him now
>he turns into a fucking rat and gets JK fired
>YOU FUCK I WISH YOU DIED WITH A DRUMSTICK IN YOUR ASS
>but JK is so cool, he finally forgives the kid at the end
>I don't

>movies have can only have one interpretation and it's the way I interpret it.

Actually women have more tolerance to harsh teachers and even physical punishment, in my gim there is a ballet and dance class with a fairly prestigious teacher and you can see 6-12yo girls through the glass in pain, suffering, being yelled, etc; and nor them or their parents have a complaint.

Meanwhile in my old school the parents had the old football coach fired because he punished the kids with extra laps when they were lazy and yelled to them during the games.

That actually is the underlying theme of the film. Fletcher is pushing and pushing and pushing, in fact the reason the kid gets kicked out of the band is his own autism. Finally the kid reports Fletcher to the greater "maternal" authorities, his journey stops, he gains no more skills and Fletcher is humiliated. Fletcher rightfully tosses the kid to the wolves after he naively comes back to him, and only among that without the maternal bullshit does he achieve anything.

The whole film is about the value and triumph of pure fraternal competition over maternal caution.

If you knew what women were thinking, you wouldn't be here complaining about them, lad. Please spare us the embarrassment of reading your sad bullshit.

someone managing to break out from under your retardation doesnt mean you were a good teacher
you're the exact same kind of person that thinks being an abusive braindead alcoholic shitstain parent forcing their kid to depend 100% on themselves and still managing to succeed in being a better person than their parent ever was somehow means that was good parenting.

The teacher was beyond all reason. There's something to be said for the method of using negative enforcement to achieve "greatness", but as the film demonstrated, it just drove the kid to obsession. His transcendence at the end isn't really a victory for him.

Victory is in the eye of the beholder after all, the film just presents the classic lamb and lion life parable and chooses lion. Plenty of films are similar in that sense.

This is my biggest gripe with the movie. Jazz is not some kind of autistic retardation, it was actually devised to be a rejection of form and just something you do to have fun with your homies. Maybe if this was classical music Simmons would've been more justified, but I seriously cannot fathom how anyone can defend his character's actions.

I watched the film with my Asian friends and they were nonironically saying he did nothing wrong.

women wont fuck me either, user. :(

The film was alright, but if what you're taking away from it is that the teacher was in the right, the romanticisation of both musicianship and abuse is going waaaay over your head. If you know anyone at jazz college you'd know first off that it's literally nothing like that. Second point is that the desire to be "the best" turns the protagonist into a confrontational, narcissistic arsehole who treats his family and girlfriend like complete shit. The outcome of the ending is essentially ambiguous because the morality of the film is just as confused, because it's filmed from the perspective of the student (who is also the victim, in a sense). If you think that his behaviour is any way appropriate or admiral you're exactly the sort of person plagued with toxic masculinity and will likely be just another suicide stat in the 18-25 year old bracket.

And now you're here. Seems like it didn't do you very good.

>A leader wouldnt keep telling the same fucking story about how that guy got the chair thrown at his head then try to replicate it.
He has to do that because there are literally no other stories of a great musician succeeding by their teacher being an asshole. Every other story would be 'teacher knew how to be an inspiration and pass on skills' that would undermine his point.

even my mom gets it, its not that difficult to understand OP

Why don't you actually say this to whichever bitch it is who triggered you? Or go loiter around /r9k/ you little pussy

He just slid his dick down your throat, and you thanked him for it

The bald cunt played jazz at dive bars. He was never great and none of his students were ever great