Are blu-rays still worth buying?

Are blu-rays still worth buying?

Other urls found in this thread:

businessinsider.com/apple-supplier-foxconn-building-8k-display-factory-wisconsin-2017-7
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

They are if you're a retro-enthusiast.

they never were

Everyone here is super
>uh muh pirated movies
>uh people who buy stuff are retarded
but yes, it's a worthwhile purchase/hobby. I started collecting 3 years ago and now I have a humble library of capeshit, drama, horror, indies, action movies, and some actual kino here and there and it's a lot of fun. There's also the free digital codes as well, but the drawback is not all discs come with those so your physical and digital libraries will be a tad uneven.

they have never been worth buying

1) it's plastic shit
2) they will be replaced by 4K and 8K and 16K and 32K and so on

no. just torrent.
Games will always be valuable, however as getting and keeping a modded console is nontrivial and beyond the ability of most people.

>16K and 32K

lol

>he thinks resolutions will never get that high

Maybe for VR but not for home media.

downloading is cool but then once in awhile i'll watch one of my blu-rays and be blown away at how good they look

Not particularly. Sometimes they're all that is presented and in those cases, who doesn't have a PS3 lyin' around?

so just download remux

It will happen for both, dude. We already have 8K TVs being shown at trade expos and Trump announced that 8K TVs will be built in the US.

businessinsider.com/apple-supplier-foxconn-building-8k-display-factory-wisconsin-2017-7

>Foxconn CEO Terry Gou was the first official to speak at the announcement, and his short talk focused on high-definition "8k" displays, which would have higher resolution than most current TV screens on the market, which are sold as "4K."

>The planned Wisconsin factory will make flat-panel LCD screens for televisions and other electronics. Bloomberg previously reported that the screens could be used to make Sharp-branded televisions.

>physical media

When Blu-ray came out, it took me ages to get a player. After I finally got one, I noticed that streaming services had already driven past the tech and I never really started to collect Blu-rays the same way I collected DVD's. Now I don't even have a player anymore, as it broke a year ago.

>i'll watch one of my blu-rays and be blown away at how good they look

Most Blurays look like shit. A lot of companies don't master their Blurays properly. There's even ratings for how good Blurays look and most of them are mediocre.

The only thing people like us need in our homes is an Android box that can play 4K60fps video. That will play video for the next 8-10 years and when you need to upgrade to 8K, Android boxes will be even cheaper and more powerful.

There is no need to buy physical media except to rip rare films and post the Bluray online to set it free.

>the next 8-10 years

Depends on whatever codec takes over. I doubt 'the scene' will switch from h264 any time soon but that AV1 codec that Sup Forums seems to love won't mesh well with all of those current android boxes.

I'm not going to deny there are instances of bad transfers and shitty DNR-ing but every Blu-Ray I own looks significantly better than any streaming or torrent version out there.

>There is no need to buy physical media except to rip rare films and post the Bluray online to set it free.

Typical "just download it brah" kiddie mentality - "The only reason you should buy somethhing is so I can have it for free." Next step would be criticizing people for buying physical media (unless of course it is to give it away for free to download kiddies), but at least you didn't go that far.

>collecting
Collection increase in value over time. DVDs (and bluray) don't. You are not collection, you are consuming.

>Collection increase in value over time.

Literally just making shit up.

>that AV1 codec that Sup Forums seems to love won't mesh well with all of those current android boxes.

Lol are you kidding me? Google is one of the architects of the AV1 codec. Android will be one of the first things to get AV1 support, and ARM/Nvidia/Intel are all part of the AV1 group, so pretty much every Android box will have AV1 support when it comes out next year. People just have to update their Android boxes and if they can play HEVC, they have enough power to play AV1.

Also, Android boxes are getting cheaper every year. Boxes with hardware AV1 support will be even cheaper than the ones we have now.

Yeah, for future proofing codecs are they key and a lot of the cheap boxes won't even allow for additional codecs not to mention if they're done so, that the users can update them even when the manufacturers go out of business. Or if a working package of a codec is even ever made for the box you use.

>I doubt 'the scene' will switch from h264 any time soon

AV1 will be the 4K codec. x265 isn't even finished. AV1 will be a finished product. There's no reason to continue using an unfinished codec when AV1 will be production ready, open source, and widely distributed.

>I am a collector

yes, if you love the movie and want to have the best possible video/audio quality

plus having a collection is aesthetic

>every Blu-Ray I own looks significantly better than any streaming or torrent version out there.

No shit. You're talking 30Mbs bitrate vs scene torrents at 6-10Mbs and streaming video at 4-6Mbs.

You do realize that people actually torrent the original Bluray data, right? Most torrented movies are just re-encoded versions of the Bluray they ripped, but the original data is also available. The entire Bluray disc is up for grabs if you want it, with extras and all. There's no reason to buy them.

> every Blu-Ray I own looks significantly better than any streaming or torrent version out there.
I am sorry that you don't have access to remuxes. Streamfags need to be euthanized tho,

My point was you said "most blu-rays look like shit" but they are still the best consumer version of movies available. And yes -- Blu-Ray rips are online, but if you want the same high quality, the download sizes are large and time consuming depending on how popular the movie in question is.

UHD HDR blu-rays are great but expensive.

>My point was you said "most blu-rays look like shit" but they are still the best consumer version of movies available.

My point is that they are not properly done most of the time, despite being a good source and high bitrate. It had nothing to do with comparing them to scene torrents and streaming since both are just highly downgraded versions of the same file.

Yes.
Physical media is still worth buying.

I have literally rented Blurays just to rip them because they didn't exist online yet. They are free to download because of me. How does that make you feel?

I don't give a shit if you like wasting your money on consumer bait.

Buying and storing things that you actually use and enjoy or display in an appealing fashion clearly isn't the same as haphazardly storing literal waste around your dwelling.

filtered

Correct. It's also not the same as collecting.

>Physical media is still worth buying.

Do yourself a favor and buy books to put on your shelf instead of plastic shit.

You sound like a literal cuckold.

Yet I still download every movie I watch except for those few I rented to rip and post online.

I bet you ask for Blurays for your birthday gifts like a child.

>paying any amount of money to give strangers on the internet something for free

Bet that made your little pecker hard as a rock, huh? What other reason would you have for doing that, kiddo?

>You are not collection

I did it because I wanted to see the movies. There was no other way to see them, so I used a method to rent them. Of course, I wasnt just going to give them back without putting them online, so I ripped them and posted them online before I gave them back.

Nice try, though. We should do this for every movie we are forced to pay for.

>he pays for movies
>he doesn't have pic related working for him 24/7

what site is this

wouldn't you like to know

For storage yes. Still have cds with archived kino.

My fear with AV1 is that it'll be a bungled up release like VP9

I still buy them along with DVDs and Lasersiscs.

>paying $40 for a single degradable disc with less than 2 hours of content on it

How big should a TV be to justify 16k and 32k? I doubt it'll be a trend for the average joe.

VP9 didn't have the platform support that AV1 has. It's going to be a whole new kind of launch.

>I am a collector

>How big should a TV be to justify 16k and 32k?
At least 60 inches.
>I doubt it'll be a trend for the average joe.
Remember when you thought 4K would be a trend for the average joe, and now people are buying 4K TVs from Amazon and Walmart for $400?

Look at the top selling TV on Amazon in pic related? You think only rich people can afford that?

As technology gets better and cheaper, the standards get better. In 20 years, 16K will be the TV that everybody owns. They are already showing off 8K TVs at entertainment and tech expos. You will be smacking yourself in the face when you are older and didn't see this coming.

where can i download your material?

I hope so.
It'll wreck my little Thinkpad regardless.

I put them on private torrent trackers.

question for you. i'm in the market for a tv and my budget is $400. should i get a 4K TV (like that one) or a 1080p from a "higher quality" brand?

where?

The 4K since you won't be getting a better panel at the $400 mark. You'd have to spend at least twice more.

>smart tv enjoy your privacy

plex server + university's blu-ray library is the way to go. they have most of the criterion blu-rays so i just rent and rip them.

>he's a Democrat

oh dear. you are also retarded

I doubt a lot of people here actually watch movies, let alone buy them

Not only do I watch movies, I seed them to private trackers.

$40?? You can get them for around $12 here (AUD)

yeah, I like having tangible things like books n' shit. It's something to show for.

I mostly download encodes or stream. Got Star Trek TNG boxset on BD though, The RAWS are like 1.2TB and I thought the blu rays will last longer because hard drives can fail after a few years.

I used to buy dvd's. Skipped blu-ray, but man do I miss all the extra stuff, like commentary tracks etc.

>he keeps an amalgamation of tacky plastic on a shelf
lmao. seriously I never understood buying movies. no movie is so good I need to display it on a shelf in my home

>wasting money on hard drive space
>wasting time/effort downloading
>versus buying a $5 disc

I prefer ebooks. Blu-rays are the only physical medium worth owning. Digital is better for music, books, comics, but for films BD is still king.

>bonus discs in their own boxes on their own shelf
Nobody does this

>buying a movie you've never seen before

>i don't understand why people like other things than me
literal IRL autism

t. mixed up teen

what the fuck is up with this comic? Why are their old people and a teen on what we're lead to believe is this guys date? Why would a woman be impressed with a collection that worthless? How young is the teen that he doesn't even know what a dvd is? Why is he empty headed for not throwing away money/being unfamiliar with a concept?

>Digital is better for books, comics
Kill yourself any day now you subhuman lowlife trash.

I only rent and i prefer Blu-rays to streaming, not only is it cheaper to rent but it also has much better quality.

furthermore why is the dvd shelf located *behind* this guys tv? Isn't he supposed to be smart or something? If he's so sophisticated how come no one else in the scene has a drink? What kind of half asses hosting is this? Seems pretty crude. Why would blu-ray have its own separate category? Surely he isn't watching non-bluray in 2017? How are we not meant to laugh at this comic's artist? He can't even portray these simple characters without actually labeling them.

i fell for the DVD meme
then when my crippling drug addiction kicked in i barely sold off my thousands of dollars of DVDs for maybe 300 bucks
and still have about 400 dvds that are unsellable

*and that was top dollar

when the Apocalypse hits those dvds aint going to be worth shit

What is remux btw

>spending the woven jew for a license to watch the plastic jew on the virtual jew whenever you have a moment of time away from laboring for the human jew

Enjoy reading your books at night with a gay candle and not being able to make out the middle of a comics centerfold

An exact rip of the bluray's video, audio and sub streams muxed into an mkv.

Yeah, sort of. Internet speeds aren't really up for streaming at those bitrates.

Where do euros buy blu-ray these days btw?

Yes.
1) stream quality is utter garbage
2) 99.9% of torrents look worse than regular DVD quality, Blu-ray obliterates torrents
3) for the rare halfway decent rip, I don't feel like downloading a 30-50gb file (anything less than that is trash and not comparable to Blu-ray, don't argue.)
4) only a redditbitch who is not serious about film and only wants to watch some mongrel capeshit would give up having access to the extras that are only on the Blu-ray. Habitual torrentfags are redditors who only watch consumerist-grade films like comic book/video game garbage or the latest "dude it's a rollercoaster ride just have fun" trash

Yeah user... TELL US :^)

People should be happy that physical media exists, because without it progress would stagnate and quality would be overall lower.
The only way to see a movie in propper quality would be in the cinema. Older movies would be unreleased or in vhs/dvd quality.
Think about it, what would be the reason to rescan and remaster an old movie like Casablanca or zulu if you aren't going to sell it and benefit from it?
If blurays weren't around we would still be watching movies in shitty 480p on dvds. Without physical media, movies like Richard III would still be incomplete with fucked colours and damaged prints.
I am still waiting for movies like Come and See to get a proper blu-ray remaster so you can see the actual quality of the movie.

Pic related, you'd still be watching the lower half.

Euros are too smart to buy Jew Rays

Bluray extras usually pop up a few days after the initial scene release.

No paying 50$ bucks to the jews is never worth it.

>still buying Blu-rays when 4K UltraHD has been around for over a year now
AHAHAHAHAHAHHHAHAHAHAHA FUCKING POORFAG LOSERS EAT MY SHIT

sure is summer

It's satire you idiot. You are supposed to laugh at the old guy.