Difference between Catholic and Orthodox

Ten differences between Orthodox and Catholicism.

1. Orthodox reject inheritability of sin. Death and suffering are human nature, we only don't suffer them when partaking in perfect synergism with God's energies, which we haven't since the fall.

2. The Orthodox reject the "satisfaction theory of atonement". The Orthodox subscribe to "Christus Victor" (the idea of atonement illustrated in The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe).

3. Hell in Orthodoxy is not separation from God. Hell, like heaven, is experiencing the full radiance of God's light and presence, but with a negative relationship so that it is like fire.

4. The Orthodox reject the idea that our understanding of dogma develops. The idea is to keep the exact same understanding the Apostles have, invented terminology is not meant to develop the understanding, but to PROTECT it from being "developed".

5. Catholics define usury as excessive interest, Orthodox define usury as any interest.

6. The Orthodox reject the Catholic idea of supererogation.

7. The Orthodox reject Purgatory. The Orthodox do, however, distinguish Sheol (called "Hades" in Greek) from Gehenna.

8. Orthodoxy places enormous emphasis on fasting, in fact more than half the days of the year involve some sort of fast. And there are even some days which are total fasts, no intake, period. Two consistent fast days (almost every Wednesday and Friday, no meat, dairy, eggs, fish, oils or wine) trace back at least to the Didache.

9. Orthodox draw most of their priests from the married laity, but most of their bishops from monks.

10. Infants can and do receive Holy Communion.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=4d6TbAyUmgo
themoscowtimes.com/articles/orthodox-church-calls-for-alternative-financial-system-in-russia-48898
holytrinity-lansing.org/index.php/news/102/109/The-Sin-We-Stopped-Feeling-Sorry-For/d,betterDetails.htm
pravoslavie.ru/english/93828.htm
events.orthodoxengland.org.uk/tag/usury/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

youtube.com/watch?v=4d6TbAyUmgo

Previous thread

>Orthodox
Wrong
>Catholicism
Right

/thread

>/threads himself

Jesuit, plz

the Pope is a poor Catholic
the Patriarch is a great Orthodox
prove me long

#notourpope

Pope is actually a better Catholic than the Patriarch is a good Orthodox, as bad as the Pope is. That's my opinion as OP. Our Ecumenical Patriarch is nothing like a Pope, though, he's just a bishop with a ceremonial title, like the Emperor of Japan

Sounds like a more practical catholicism with less bullshit.

brb making these without the green dye

does anyone have the 'based orthodox meme' grrentext?

In orthadox jesus was an african

>2016
>catholicism

He's a Jew

Typical papist arrogance.

The orthodox meme is becoming stale. Why don't you leave your house and go evangelizing you damn LARPer. 5 is wrong BTW, any usury is sin for Catholics. I didn't know about 10, top heresy m8

Sage

Are you pro catholic or pro orthodox?

Don't fall for the Orthodox meme, it only serves to weaken Catholicism further. Let's fix the Catholic church instead!

Christians rape children, whether catholic or otherwise

Supporting any religion is supporting rape you fucks

>5. Catholics define usury as excessive interest, Orthodox define usury as any interest.

So, do the Orthodox refuse to take any part debt related institutions like mortgages, or bonds?

Agreed

Cancer research has had failures, weather breast cancer or skin cancer. Supporting any disease research is supporting failure!

Those who take their faith seriously.

themoscowtimes.com/articles/orthodox-church-calls-for-alternative-financial-system-in-russia-48898

Those who do are the equivalent of Catholics who support gay marriage, take birth control, etc.

>We can see that while there is not explicit discussion of usury in the Code of Canon Law today, the Church is nonetheless firmly opposed to it, in its contemporary definition of interest-rates that are unreasonable.

>Not only in Psalm 15:5 is this teaching found. It is a fundamental principle throughout the Word of God. In Exodus (22:25), Leviticus (25:37), and Deuteronomy (23:19) the charging of interest on loans is forbidden. Prophets like Ezekiel (18:13, 22:12) thundered against usury. Charging interest is clearly and strictly forbidden by God.
holytrinity-lansing.org/index.php/news/102/109/The-Sin-We-Stopped-Feeling-Sorry-For/d,betterDetails.htm

>Business expectations in lending, often ghostly becomes more profitable than the production of tangible goods. In this regard, it must be remembered about the moral ambiguity of the situation, when money is "make" new money without the application of human labor. Declaring credit sphere to be the main engine of the economy, its predominance over the real economic sector comes into conflict with the moral principles, reveled by God condemning usury.
pravoslavie.ru/english/93828.htm

>Debt is usury and usury is enslavement, and enslavement is always a source of evil. Therefore, debt is always to be avoided as far as possible; at best it can only be a temporary necessary evil. Usury was and is forbidden by the Church. Catholicism, which for many centuries kept much of the heritage of the Church from the first millennium, forbade usury until the late 18th century.

events.orthodoxengland.org.uk/tag/usury/

Any other converts from Catholicism? What set the whole house of cards tumbling down for me was reading up on the Donation of Constantine.

>Those who take their faith seriously.

And how many people do that? I remember during the Greek debt crisis, the Greeks were withdrawing as much of their money from the banks as they could.

And having a bank account is loaning money at (low) interest to an entity that is loaning at (higher) interest.

And of course the government of Greece certainly had no problems borrowing billions from EU investors.

It seems like the prohibition of interest is, as you pointed out, like the Catholics with birth control, more honored in the breach than in the observance.

Pretty much. When I was a Catholic though, I held to all the rules which were hard to follow. No different since I'm Orthodox.

Are you talking about as a lender, or as a borrower?

You misspelled Protestantism

The only way to fix your church is by hanging the pope abd his cardinals.

I'm a convert to Protestantism from Catholicism

Both have priests that wear long dresses, have monks and monasteries. There's nothing written in Bible that priests should wear dresses and nothing about monks and monasteries.

I'm pretty sure a cassock is closer to what they wore back in the day than jeans.

According to Saint John Chrysostom, the only difference between a monk and a married man is that one is married. Monks are just Christians who decide to live forever as bachelors (which Paul said is preferable, but not required).

How does anybody make money without interest? I don't understand how stocks, bonds, mutual funds, and bank accounts, are to exist without interests. How do you incentivize those with money to invest in entrepreneurs and new ideas without the potential to make more money than what they put into the project?

Same was Islamic Banking works.

*way

Are all Eastern Orthodox churches, as a category, have the same theology or are there various theologies like how there are in Protestant churches?

What differences are there, if any, among the Eastern Orthodox churches? Are the differences enough that attending one church over another could hinder your understanding good theology?

Does it matter which Eastern Orthodox church you attend, be it Greek, Russian, Romanian, etc? Is there an Eastern Orthodox church that would best suited for a particular person or goals or mindset?

Same theology, Orthodox unity is defined by a common faith.

Doesn't matter which Church you attend, it just has to do with which bishop you are under. But you might prefer Antiochian, since they are mostly converts and do their liturgy in English. If you prefer a more ethnic atmosphere though, you can attend the others.

are they good?

is there a church that's exactly like the Orthodox Church except without icons and high mariology?

No, Orthodox theology is ancient Christian theology. That's because the Orthodox Church is ancient.

But Orthodox iconography has no relation to pagan idols. I mean, without even going into the theology, you can see this visually: no pagan idol was a painting, they were always statues, so it's not like this was picked up from pagans.

Mary has a special place, being the Ark of the New Covenant. The Ark of the Old Covenant was also venerated (Joshua 7:6). Saints are venerated in the same was Moses venerated his father-in-law (Exodus 18:7). It might seem weird because they are not with us physically, but you must remember that Christ destroyed Sheol. They are therefore in heaven and full Communion with us.

I want to learn more about Eastern Orthodox Christianity and possibly even convert but I can't tell if it's because I truly want to accept Christ or if it's because I love the aesthetic so much + gf of 5 years is leaving me

>I can't tell if it's because I truly want to accept Christ or if it's because I love the aesthetic so much

Same here. I'm going to need to "see in his hands the print of the nails, and put my finger into the print of the nails, and thrust my hand into his side, I will not believe,"* or an experience like that, and that no scientific understanding can explain what the experience.

* John 20:25

This is modern Catholicism.

It's been taken over by virtue signalling bullshit.

Tell this fuckwad to read the story of the tax collector and the pharisee.

Yeah but don't forget that Thomas had been serving Jesus for 3 years before he got that experience. Would you serve Jesus for 3 years?

Full disclosure, I'm a Catholic, not an Orthobro, but I'd rather see atheists become Orthodox than stay atheist, though obviously Catholic is best.

You can experience Christ directly through Orthodoxy. Read The Way of a Pilgrim