/djt/ - Daily Japanese Thread #1983

DJT is a language learning thread designed by and for those studying the Japanese language.

Read the Guide linked below before asking how to learn Japanese:
djtguide.neocities.org/
Check the Cornucopia of Resources before asking where to download X or Y:
djtguide.neocities.org/cor.html

Archive of older threads: desuarchive.org/int/search/subject/Daily Japanese Thread/

Previous thread:

Attached: djt11.jpg (1000x770, 195K)

Other urls found in this thread:

jisho.org/word/各
www3.nhk.or.jp/news/easy/
thesaurus.weblio.jp/
chigai-allguide.com/羽と羽根/
jisho.org/search/〆 #names
ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/常用漢字#2010年の改定
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

F

Attached: 108px-Feel_Eyes_Closed.jpg (108x120, 4K)

Really? I thought weebs would be plentiful enough on here? Well then Op to keep thread alive tell me why and how you've been studying japan.

My penis demanded it.

Attached: ちんこ.jpg (293x287, 40K)

>I thought weebs would be plentiful enough on here?
You did.

I simply can't understand the logic behind this dialogue. The line before was 友達の気遣いを無駄にしないで after the boy's friend ran off crying. I'd appreciate it if someone could explain to me what this all means.

Attached: Screenshot (118).png (1366x768, 446K)

>why and how you've been studying japan.

Japanese is interesting, and it gives me a reason to get out of bed in the morning (or to not feel like I didn't do anything productive all day in the evening)

>Don't let your friend's thoughtfulness go to waste
>He left so you two could be alone together
>How could you possibly think that!?
So the friend did some dramatic getaway so his 友 could get some マンコ is what this feels like. Dunno for sure though.
Also, I can't quite figure out what the last one is supposed to be. I think I need a bit more context.

how am i supposed to know the meaning of a kanji when it has loads of different readings? Just by the context eh?

Also because kanji have different readings is it wise not to trust things like google translate? 実 should've been み fruit/nut but google translated it as じつ

It's hard to explain the context without posting the whole chapter, but basically the woman with the braid is the boy's mother who is very doting and annoying. She saw the friend go into the girl's bathroom in that outfit.
That last line confuses me the most as well.

Attached: 0075.jpg (847x1200, 191K)

>It's hard to explain the context without posting the whole chapter,
Maybe someone else is good enough to understand it without all the context but I sure can't. Where'd you get the raw? I'll give it a look

On further thought maybe he's saying she should be more considerate?

>how am i supposed to know the meaning of a kanji when it has loads of different readings?

You do not figure out the meaning of a kanji, you figure out the meaning of a word.

I thought so too and I was going to mention that but I didn't feel confident enough to say so because there isn't anything like べき or はず that outright states she "should" be more 気遣う. At least, as far as my knowledge extends. Maybe that's what the trailing ッ is for.

It certainly makes the most sense. Thank you for your help.

Forgive my beginner's stupidity but what do you mean? Kanji are sometimes words themselves right? I know they are also sometimes part of a word. They're giving me a real headache regardless

Sorry I couldn't give you a more definite answer. Try asking again when the natives are active.

What is 各段? When I google for it, 格段 shows up a lot instead and I can't seem to find a reliable definition. This is the sentence it was in: 各段に世慣れた印象だ。

jisho.org/word/各

Kanji are not words, they are logograms: between symbols (ideogram) and sounds (phonograms). Instead of a kanji having a meaning, think of it as having a "concept".
Native Japanese speakers already know Japanese before they learn how to write it, which is why it's easier for them to know how to read the 年 in "去年" and "年寄り", because they already know the words "きょねん” and "としより”.

In *general* (meaning this rule is broken frequently) you'll see 音読み with 音読み, and the 訓読み either on their own or with おくりがな, especially for verbs and adjectives and such.

去る has -る, so it's probably a verb, so it's very likely the 訓読み, so "saru".
去年 has two kanji only, so it's likely pure 音読み for both, so "kyonen"

But again, this is much easier if you already know the words "saru" and "kyonen" and their meaning, and know that the words "kyoru", and "sanen" do not exist.

You should not use Google Translate for anything other than handwriting kanji to look them up in a proper dictionary.

I see, thanks for explaining so thoroughly

I use it sometimes to check if what I said makes sense.
If it is completely off, I second-guess myself; if it's correctly translated, means I probably wrote so correctly (or clearly), even a robot could catch it.

Lots of words have more than one pronunciation, specially single-kanji ones. You'll need a lot of audio+subtitles or furigana in order to get used to the conventions, but of course context also helps.

特に理由の無いbumpがDJTを襲う

What are some good really basic things I can read in Japanese? I am almost done with core 2k, and want to dabble in a little reading, but would like something that is easy enough at this level

Bump I guess

Why would you guess. Let yourself go wild.

is duolingo a good site to use? I dont feel like its helping me much

Does this thread have an IRC or discord it uses for practice speaking, writing and listening?

no

i like the way it teaches though i just hate how everything is so jumbled. I wish it was organized by numbers/food/phrases like the french section is.

It's new. Give it time or even better use a good website.

Japanese is not a good language for that approach, it will teach you kanji inconsistently, it's best if you take a more regimental approach and become an ankidrone until you know the vocabulary, then taking on grammar is a lot more intuitive.

Which と is that at the end of the last line?
Context is 光太郎 is the only member in his club and he's talking to the 生徒会長 about its fate after the recent school merges and subsequent shortage of club rooms.

Attached: と.png (842x579, 445K)

whats an ankidrone?

whats an example of a good website?

It's a little meme, if you want to learn to read Japanese you need to learn about 6k kanji for starters. There's a flashcard program called Anki that works very well for a lot of people but it's still rote memorization and so it's soul-draining; A lot of /djt/ is in this phase of learning although some have managed to progress out of it into literacy; learning Kanji is very important so if you're taking it seriously you cannot skip it.

Becoming an ankidrone means shouldering the burden of Kanji studying and studying kanji with anki every day, which is brutal and not always very fun, most people end up going through well over 100 cards a day and if you stop for even a few days in a row the buildup is brutal.

Read the guide in the OP.

I think the only thing that I know of right now that it could be is ということだ minus いうことだ.
Anyway, 次。
Third line in this one, I wasn't sure who 先方 was referring to but now I think it's the 桜代部長 who doesn't want to merge. So then I think it's (loosely)
"Moreover, this is also because of their (桜代部長達) selfishness. Saying something like 'There's now way we're merging', good grief".
The 一緒は嫌だなんて was also giving me trouble but now I realize it's probably just the 会長 quoting what 桜代部長 said.
Is that about right?

Attached: 先方.png (949x630, 539K)

Hello, I am reading Dragon Ball. In this scene ヤムチャ has just given 悟空, ブルマ, and ウーロン a car after blowing up their RV so that they can continue looking for the balls (and he can steal them once they are collected).

ウーロン checks out the car and says:

>バクダンとかがついてるじゃないだろう

My question is why include the が here? My understanding is that the sentence would work fine on its own with just the とか, right? Does including the が add any meaning or what? Thank you.

I disagree. Just don't take the first translation at face value. Get google translate to translate the individual parts of a sentence as well and get a feel for how google translate is thinking.

I have the same question
The Japanese Thread / 日本語スレッド is the easiest thing I have to read so far

www3.nhk.or.jp/news/easy/

I've been emulating obscure japan-only ps1 games. Currently playing Stray Sheep - The Adventure of Poe & Merry. It's cute and fun and the sentences are easy to read because it's aimed at children

I haven't found Anki to be soul crushing at all. It's hard, but the results are great and immediately rewarding, so overall I find it way more satisfying than any system I had before.

次。
姫野 is 光太郎's childhood friend who recently moved back. He's talking to his other friend 彩音 about his past relationship with 姫野.
The line that bugs me is 「姫野さん、いるだろう?」.
Based on 彩音's response I guess that by いる he means
>移動するのをやめて、そこにとどまる。
But on a pragmatic level the way it's worded kinda bugs me.
It's kinda trivial but I'd still like to know exactly what he meant to say by that.

Attached: いうだろう.png (805x640, 499K)

Bumping to say thesaurus.weblio.jp/ is a blessing.

My thoughts:
と here is as you said, just ということか meaning "so you're saying that ~?"
You're right here. Here's the 明鏡 entry for なんて to clarify more:
>自分や他人の発言を冷やかしたりまぜっ返したりする気分で示す。なんちゃって。「愛してるよなんてね」◇終助詞的に使う。
You see things like 学園にいる or 会社にいる used in the general sense as "belonging to, being part of (attending in the case of schools)" rather than literally meaning "currently present there." I couldn't find a dictionary entry on this unfortunately.

Thank you for responding.
>I couldn't find a dictionary entry on this unfortunately.
Yeah it's kinda hard to look up since my production isn't good enough to formulate "Iru without a specified location of existence" in natural sounding Japanese. I guess I'll try to ask on Chiebukuro by using someone else's question as a template.

Nvm, I found one 2 〔(構成員として)所属する〕 belong to…; be a member of….
>子供が小学校と中学校にいます(=私の子供は小学生と中学生です).
I have children in elementary school and junior high. | My children are in elementary school and junior high.

Ah I see now. Great, thanks again.

>I haven't found Anki to be soul crushing at all.
When your studying 800-1000 cards per day, it will quickly become soul crushing

>you need to learn about 6k kanji for starters.
Are you trying to pass Kanji Kentei Level 1?

in this case, 友達の気遣い means matchmaking of two
この場合、「もっと気遣うべき」とは、カップルとしてとっととひっつけということなしかならない。
形容動詞で「格別だ」とほぼ同じ意味。
各段に世慣れた印象だ
He gives us the impression that he is exceptionally worldly-wise.

Attached: 0c5ecd28.jpg (1280x722, 75K)

*ことにしかならない

If I get N1 will that impress cute Japanese girls?

What does it sayå

次男
Next and Man

Means second son.
Why?
If you're the father the next man of the family will be your first son if you die.

Aku no Hana

>エンワンって何?
>ソーリ、アイドントスピークイングリッシュ

I imagine it goes like this

I have been in school for 16 years straight now but I don't think I've ever learned anything consistently just because I was personally interested in it. I want to start studying Japanese but am worried that I'm a) too much of a brainlet and b) that I'll give up within a week/not be consistent

Did anyone have these thoughts beforehand? I'll give it a go anyways but it seems like a bad sign if you're doubting your capabilities before even beginning.

羽根

What the fuck is the difference?

I started completely on my own with no idea what to do or use and still kept at it (wasted a lot of time though),
you have everything here you need for the best start possible, read the guide and when you have questions we'll help you

>I'll give it a go anyways but it seems like a bad sign if you're doubting your capabilities before even beginning.
you'll doubt your capabilities so often you might as well get used to it
on the plus side, it gives you the necessary caution... many people just rush into it, become overwhelmed and give up

Alright, makes sense. Thanks for the reply.

羽 are on a bird's body, 羽根 are the feathers you'd find on the ground or something

"ということか" is merely omitted from "桜代の文芸部さんに追い出されるということか"
いる(ゐる・居る):be
姫野さん、いるだろう?:Is Himeno there?
意訳すれば
Himeno attends the same school, doesn't she?

基本動詞中の基本動詞を本動詞で使っているだけ。
深読みのしすぎ。

Attached: 004l.jpg (720x405, 47K)

chigai-allguide.com/羽と羽根/
飛ぶ鳥の翼は「羽」、虫は翅、抜け落ちたのは「羽根」
羽子板や badmintonの shuttlecockは羽根

Attached: 1b60f57d.jpg (1280x722, 125K)

>クソワロタ
Is this netizen slang for something?

kek out loud
嘲笑 scornful laughter

Attached: 1fe17c04.jpg (1280x722, 117K)

Quality word. Clearly worth mining.

Started learning Japanese around a year ago.
Today, unrelated to learning, on a whim, played "The Real Folk Blues", probably for the first time in the 2-3 years.
I can hear the words! They are not just some pleasantly alien throat-noise - they are are actual words that fit into actual sentences.
And I understand a lot of them and even some entire lines.
Not enough to grasp the entire song or even guess at its general meaning, but still I'm getting there.
Got the entire bit about the eyes - one looking into tomorrow, another into yesterday (prior knowledge of the show helped ofc), and some other lines as well.
Ureshii as fuck.

It is decided - this song is my minor benchmark now - I'm not looking up lyrics, not replaying it over and over again.
I will replay it once in 3-4 months, and then in another 3-4 until I can hear, recognize and understand everything that is sang as easily as with most any other (comprehensible) Russian or English song.

Attached: 2018-03-15_16-18-26.jpg (1442x591, 96K)

There should have been more exclamation marks in this post, but I forgot about them after the first one.

I actually had a similar experience recently. I was watching some old Japanese variety show videos I had watched about a year ago, and I've went from not understanding barely anything, to understanding a decent chunk of what the people were trying to say or the ideas behind it. It was a very nice payoff (you don't get a lot of good payoffs in studying Japanese early on, so this was very nice)

I'm having a hard time memorizing words through Anki because I'm probably literally retarded, is there some other way or am I doomed to just throw myself at a brick wall over and over?

Attached: 1472655677927.jpg (640x550, 59K)

I will need more details than that.
Also, install true retention.

How far in are you? If your only a few hundred words, this is go be expected. I had a similar issue when u was a few hundred in and ended up quitting for 2 months due to it. At some point you get into a rhythm and start to recognize patterns in the Japanese language, and you'll remember them more easily. If your a few thousand vocab in and still having this problem, you might be an actual brainlet

I dunno, I look at words like 大人 and consistently I end up thinking person instead of adult and getting the pronunciation slightly wrong, or just blanking completely on other words.

I guess there's that, got about 100 kanji I'm cycling through. Managed to burn myself out on learning everything at once so I'm just getting back to it after a month and a half or so as well. Though that's good to know at least.

>Know every 常用漢字 passively and can read anything at normal speed without problems
>try writing
>can't even write something as simple as 気

Attached: 1426649295207.png (300x300, 148K)

>I guess there's that, got about 100 kanji I'm cycling through. Managed to burn myself out on learning everything at once so I'm just getting back to it after a month and a half or so as well. Though that's good to know at least.
user, this is exactly what I went through! I promise if you stick it out, once you reach the first 1k on anki, it gets a lot easier. Also, don't fret too much on being 100% accurate on the meaning. If you have a decent ballpark understanding of the words, once you start reading you will be able to see the words in a context, and rapidly correct your mistakes.

There are 3 main hurdles in learning Japanese:
>learning the kana (basically the casual filter)
>learning the first 700-1000 or so words (very little payoff from learning Japanese until you learn enough words, and will still have difficulty with accumulating new vocab at this point)
>the race to 6k (a test of endurance and discipline, as you'll get to 6k at some point if you just keep accumulating cards, but if your only learning like 50 new words a week, there's no point in learning the language, as you won't get to 20k words until like 10 years or so).

Once you've hit the core 6k, your basically in the clear

>you won't get to 20k words until like 10 years or so

Attached: 1503649156158.png (545x570, 67K)

What's the name of this character? I see people post this all the time, but couldn't find a name

luigi

gucci man, guess I'll keep at it a little a day.

i cant remember the order of core that early but you will notice 大 tends to be in words that involve big, lots, etc and 人 in words involving person

pay attention for freebie meanings like that

What is that weird メ-looking thing?

Attached: cute.png (522x395, 175K)

〆切, learn that kanji.

>mfw
jisho.org/search/〆 #names

Attached: 1515642937303.jpg (486x409, 42K)

Thanks

Also,
>〆
>counter for faggots
Nice

>深読みのしすぎ
Yeah probably.
>Himeno attends the same school, doesn't she?
This is worded properly and doesn't sound unnatural in English to me but it feels like a weird way to bring up 姫野 as the topic of conversation.
I'd expect it to be something like
"You know how 姫野 recently moved here?"
"Yeah"
"We used to be friends before she moved away"
That seems like it flows better. But that's just me being petty.
ありがとうございます。

is duolingo worth it?

No retard, it has been said a million times, no and no.

I wouldn't exactly recommend it, but if you feel like it you could do english for japanese speakers
some tasks here and there are useless, but other than that it's okay

>come across japanese food related words
>what the fuck is 鰹節
>"katsuobushi; small pieces of sliced dried bonito"
ah yes of course

Attached: 1343133206729.png (223x220, 29K)

>decameron
>eventide
>portent
>environ
>rut
>yonder
>paulownia

Attached: 1509179911180.png (403x448, 53K)

I wonder if those words sound as pretentious (well, some of them) in Japanese as they do in English

>rut
>yonder
>portent

These ones are common. I thought I knew what environ meant but didn't even realize it was a verb.

Almost any noun can be verbed.

English course for Japanese speakers is worth it for beginners, but you'll need a big vocabulary or you'll suffer a lot.

When exactly is it okay to not use counters at all? Look at this page:
ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/常用漢字#2010年の改定
There is no counter for 字, 訓 and 音.
I just happened upon this sentence too, I don't think 世帯 is a counter:
豪雨に伴う土砂崩れによって10世帯が孤立状態になった。

Attached: 1510875702859.jpg (998x686, 133K)

Hi, I'm not quite understanding this sentence and I'd appreciate any help.

一度でもハモらなかったらまた意識しなくなるわよ。
The girl saying this and another guy keep saying the same thing at the same time. What does she mean by "becoming not conscious"?

I'd interpret it like if it happens once more she won't even notice it anymore